Sign in to follow this  
iagrib

Text chat, at least for spectators

Right now people can only communicate with microphones. Before the game starts (in lobby), however, there is a text chatbox available. So why isn't it also a thing in game itself? If not for alive councellors, then at least for those who are already dead. Alive councellors without a microphone could use a chat wheel, for example, using which they would be able to make their characters say certain things ('follow me', 'Jason is here', 'I've got car keys', 'we need gas' etc).

1 hour ago, iagrib said:

Right now people can only communicate with microphones. Before the game starts (in lobby), however, there is a text chatbox available. So why isn't it also a thing in game itself? If not for alive councellors, then at least for those who are already dead. Alive councellors without a microphone could use a chat wheel, for example, using which they would be able to make their characters say certain things ('follow me', 'Jason is here', 'I've got car keys', 'we need gas' etc).

I mean you can just use voice Chat after you died?

5 minutes ago, Muffinsfressnapf said:

I mean you can just use voice Chat after you died?

OP mentioned specifically, people without microphones.  How is a person without a microphone going to use a microphone? >.<

I think the proximity thing is an issue. You can only hear people when they are near each other, and even the walkie talkies won't cover the entire map. If devs can find a way to workaround that, I can see it being a thing, but until then, no.

10 minutes ago, Undead Ramen said:

OP mentioned specifically, people without microphones.  How is a person without a microphone going to use a microphone? >.<

I think the proximity thing is an issue. You can only hear people when they are near each other, and even the walkie talkies won't cover the entire map. If devs can find a way to workaround that, I can see it being a thing, but until then, no.

Get a mic then. The Game is 100 times more fun if you have a mic, otherwise you can chat in the Lobby.

9 hours ago, Undead Ramen said:

How is this an issue for spectators? But even in-game, I don't see any reason not to make text/chatwheel messages be visible or hearable only by nearby people.

Totally agree with iagrib.Not everyone wants to use their voice in an online game,and not everyone is used to mic.The game is focused on teamwork which is great.That doesnt mean it should be limited to voice only.Imo,they should keep the radius they have,and add a teamchat for all counselors.There is no reason not to be there.

• Like 1

There is one main reason I think they should do this eventually, and that is for the hearing impaired.

I hadn't thought of it until someone else mentioned it was why they did not use a microphone. And then I realized how much that impacts a player of this game.

I don't mean this in any angry/vigilant attack against how the game currently is. I just hope, if they have the funds and the time, they could, at least, open up the ability for people to communicate that way in the future.

For the record, I've never been one to play games with voice chat before. However, I am enjoying doing so now. That's just me though! :) 

• Like 1

I agree the game itself is more enjoyable with mic, but then again, I see no reason for text that not to exist AT LEAST for spectators.