GunMedia_Ben

Voice Chat Mechanics Poll - User Feedback

Voice Chat  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Voice Chat Options

• Proximity Based Voice Chat - Only Camp Counselors next to you, or within a very close proximity can hear you speaking over the microphone. NOTE: Jason can't hear conversations between Camp Counselors.
    • Global Voice Chat - All Camp Counselors can hear you speaking over the microphone, regardless of their location on the map. NOTE: Jason can't hear conversations between Camp Counselors.

I voted proximity as well, in the spirit of keeping true to the 80's setting.  Someone help me out here, as I'm too lazy to google it, but one of the AAA shooters on Xbox 360 had playlists where party chat was disabled.  Call of Duty or Gears of War I believe, for an elimination mode.  It wouldn't let you join if you were in a party to prevent after death cheating or coaching the remaining player(s).  That would be a huge help here.  Allow IN GAME parties so that you can team up with friends, but do not allow Xbox Live or PSN parties. 

IDEAAA!!!!

Proxy chat for all campers + Jason but Jason can only hear mumbled gibberish ( as of his destoryed ears)

THis would stop Jason eavesdropping as it'd be hard for campers to converse about tactics but would allow him to locate them

Proximity based voice chat makes everything more realistic, which I think will benefit this game greatly.  Being stuck out deep in the woods with a friend, knowing very well that Jason is close by would make much more of a memorable experience if you knew that only YOU TWO by yourselves are alone, and can only count on each other in that moment.  If you want the help of the other counselors, then you gotta stay together. 

Devil's Advocvate:  Having voice chat for 'everyone' could make evertything just WAY too easy as everyone could just advertise where they saw Jason last and keeps tabs on him, letting everyone else do what they need to do SO much easier, lifting the tension of the game, and the other players..... and we don't want to be liffing away any of the fear... do we?  ;)

Proximity based voice chat makes everything more realistic, which I think will benefit this game greatly. Being stuck out deep in the woods with a friend, knowing very well that Jason is close by would make much more of a memorable experience if you knew that only YOU TWO by yourselves are alone, and can only count on each other in that moment. If you want the help of the other counselors, then you gotta stay together.

Devil's Advocvate: Having voice chat for 'everyone' could make evertything just WAY too easy as everyone could just advertise where they saw Jason last and keeps tabs on him, letting everyone else do what they need to do SO much easier, lifting the tension of the game, and the other players..... and we don't want to be liffing away any of the fear... do we? ;)

for some reason when ever i see your comments i read it in a yelling tune in my head

for some reason when ever i see your comments i read it in a yelling tune in my head

I am super loud.  I apologize.. XD

• Like 1

I would prefer that games that are on Guns servers (srry forget the name atm) to have proxy with set rules to create a foundation of rules that are the base of how the game should be played, those being proxy voice and whatever other rules they happen to implement. But have a server browser like the one from Battlefield 4 so you can search for player hosted servers with whatever rules they may have set such as whether global chat is on or off and such. It would be their server and more then likely have their friends and such in it so they can set their options the way they like it while keeping a baseline on other servers.

Does anyone know which way they are going to go yet? The votes on here are a blowout for proximity, but that's not even 100 gamers. I'm sure the team has a better grasp of what will work better. They know exactly what the game is and how it will play.

Jason should hear the others, but only maybe a mumbled version or some sort of sounds. He can hear, and that is how he finds people a lot. This also makes it be a little more of a strat for the counselors to be careful if they hear him around. I mean he should not be able to actually locate them, but he should be able to know they are close. This also helps with people just mic talking over EVERYTHING ( I have seen it and it gets annoying to have to mute a lot) Plus I would love to hear the terror of people panic screaming as Jason. "Damned" did a similar  thing with a mic. Only thing is everyone has discord etc so :( hopefully people will use it for the fun of using it. 

Proximity makes sense as it's the more realistic option, but also if people want to subvert it and jump into party chat then they can, which in reality gives them both options to use. Whereas forcing them to all be able to talk to each other from all over the map means they will only ever have that one way of playing the game.

I do like the idea of placing 2 findable walkie talkies in the map though. When they're found those two holding them can communicate, but only those holding them. Perhaps even make them lootable if those councellors die.

"Mike? Mike are you there...?
*crshghgh*
"....Mike's dead"

Proximity makes sense as it's the more realistic option, but also if people want to subvert it and jump into party chat then they can, which in reality gives them both options to use. Whereas forcing them to all be able to talk to each other from all over the map means they will only ever have that one way of playing the game.

I do like the idea of placing 2 findable walkie talkies in the map though. When they're found those two holding them can communicate, but only those holding them. Perhaps even make them lootable if those councellors die.

"Mike? Mike are you there...?

*crshghgh*

"....Mike's dead"

I think proximity chat is cool and immersive. But you're right since all platforms have their version of party chat I think global is the way to go.

Proxy near other counselors sounds like the creepiest way to go. Jason should be able to eavesdrop when he's close, and maybe even allow the Jason player to talk when he's near. So he can make the Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma noise to creep people out lol 

Proximity chat is a nice default option.  Obviously people will use skype and that won't necessarily hinder the game too much (thus far I don't see it hindering the game as the game isn't built around playing just with random people).  So yeah, proximity chat.

They could add like a message at the start, like this game is made to play with no private chat, please use the in game chat function for a richer gaming experience.

I've seen this with games that work better with headphones.

I go for Prox chat, but in the lobby there should be an option to have global chat based on vote. I think prox is the only way to go but i feel too many people will complain without global.

Another thought. Left 4 Dead has an option in game with a voice wheel that says the most common thinks like: Reloading, Cover Me, I Need Help/Healing ect... That would be awesome to utilize as well since that could cut down on some of the complaints that the globals would have and also make it interesting for prox people as well. or just make it a prox wheel thing for quick messages

• Like 1

it's great most voted for proximity chat.   the more realistic atmosphere will enhance the experience better.

I go for Prox chat, but in the lobby there should be an option to have global chat based on vote. I think prox is the only way to go but i feel too many people will complain without global.

Another thought. Left 4 Dead has an option in game with a voice wheel that says the most common thinks like: Reloading, Cover Me, I Need Help/Healing ect... That would be awesome to utilize as well since that could cut down on some of the complaints that the globals would have and also make it interesting for prox people as well. or just make it a prox wheel thing for quick messages

I'm not sure how far down the line this is and whether it'll be possible to add in if it doesn't exist yet.

But, yeah, the quick wheel for games like L4D or Overwatch now is a really handy shortcut. Also handy for players that might not have a mic.

I say proximity chat for the reasons given by other people, BUT with menu options. Give us the option in the pre-game lobby settings to have:

All DEFAULT/STANDARD match settings have Proximity Chat(Jason CANNOT hear you), and the optional match settings are:

1: Proximity Chat(Jason CANNOT hear you)

2: Global Chat(Jason CANNOT hear you)

3: Proximity Chat(Jason CAN hear you)

If you give us all the options, the population can play how they like, but "playlists" should be standard at Proxy 1. There should NOT be a Global Chat where Jason can hear you because that would make it far too easy for Jason to thwart the Counselor's plans to escape or set a trap for Jason.

If Jason can hear you then they should also ping that noise to the counselor with the big mouth. So when you get the d-bags playing music and talking nonsense they can be eliminated first!

• Like 1

I voted for global chat, mainly because the game is already going to be difficult to coordinate escape and trap building plans with multiple players as it is. Adding the element that communication is cut off once they separate only skews the odds even more in Jason's favor because now one player has no idea if the other counselor is still trying to accomplish their goal or if they've died. Which will then encourage way more group camping for defensive purposes and end up making each match feel the exact same as a horde of counselors all walk in a pile towards each goal.

Considering the style of team based play being built here, imagine if Left 4 Dead only allowed you to talk to your teammates if you were within a certain distance. The smoker would be an unstoppable force then since he can pull you away from the team and you wouldn't be able to communicate that you're in trouble. For larger objective based games like this, proximity chat makes success almost impossible.

Not sure if anyone here has ever played a game with proximity chat on, but it generally isn't as "immersive" as you tend to think it is. It ends up just causing everyone to not talk because you never really know if someone is in your range of voice or not unless you can see them and repeatedly saying "anyone there" gets old after a match or two. The only real games I've ever played that it works okay in is MMORPG's.

I voted for global chat, mainly because the game is already going to be difficult to coordinate escape and trap building plans with multiple players as it is. Adding the element that communication is cut off once they separate only skews the odds even more in Jason's favor because now one player has no idea if the other counselor is still trying to accomplish their goal or if they've died. Which will then encourage way more group camping for defensive purposes and end up making each match feel the exact same as a horde of counselors all walk in a pile towards each goal.

Considering the style of team based play being built here, imagine if Left 4 Dead only allowed you to talk to your teammates if you were within a certain distance. The smoker would be an unstoppable force then since he can pull you away from the team and you wouldn't be able to communicate that you're in trouble. For larger objective based games like this, proximity chat makes success almost impossible.

Not sure if anyone here has ever played a game with proximity chat on, but it generally isn't as "immersive" as you tend to think it is. It ends up just causing everyone to not talk because you never really know if someone is in your range of voice or not unless you can see them and repeatedly saying "anyone there" gets old after a match or two. The only real games I've ever played that it works okay in is MMORPG's.

While I tend to agree to an extent, I think it's okay if it's harder to organize and communicate by default. Hearing a bunch of cucks talk about who is fixing the car while I'm trying to hide from Jason is kinda meh. It becomes annoying. HavING proximity chat requires more stategy to use.

DbD got by without using any chat at all.

The only thing with global chat is it is 100% non-immersive....you get people talking strategy and you get people talking about what they want for dinner! ...so on this topic, I'll just trust the developers who are testing the game now.