HodderFodder

Damn, F13 part 6 really holds up

After playing the game long enough, I felt in the mood to watch Jason Lives. It really holds up, and is quite dynamic. There's a lot more going on than the usual "everybody at a camp, gettin' killed, final girl does the corpse run". A lot of varied victims, with lots of adults.

Not to mention so much of the game you can see in the movie. A lot of Tommy's lines (obviously), the throwing knives, the shotgun stun, and some of the kills directly from it.

7 is my favorite, but 6 I think is right behind it, holding a spear.

• Like 2

Best entry in the series, as far as I'm concerned. I love its post-modern deconstruction elements, like a proto-Scream. It's funny, campy, gorey, and just all around fun to watch.

I have to admit that when I first saw Part 6 I wasn't overly thrilled by it, at that time I thought Part 7 was the be all end all of Friday the 13th. Though as the years have gone by I gotta say that I have found a new respect for Part 6. They really tried to do something a little different, with the added way more tongue in cheek humor and the fact that in this camp there is actually children campers. Especially with the children around to me that raised the suspense level cause at that point I had seen so many tweens be killed in the previous movies I really at that point considered them just fodder for awesome Jason kills. Having all those helpless kids around made the lives of all the counselors more important since in that setting they were the only line of defense from who knows what Jason could or would have done to those kids if he killed all the adults. To me that also made some of them more likable, good example is Sheriff Garris, instead of making him a witless cop who died quickly his fight with Jason was a pretty long and memorable one in contrast to others in the series and while it was ultimately futile (which he knew) he was still willing to sacrifice his life for the campers and especially his daughter.

• Like 1

I haven't quite gotten to it in my rewatch of the series, yet (I'm having a hard time getting myself to sit through Part V), but I remember liking it a lot. It was my first ever FRIDAY THE 13TH movie (I watched it when I was 9 years old) and the movie that made me fall in love with the series. Over the years I have grown to think of Part IV as the best film in the franchise, but I think Part VI was probably the last entry to feature likable and fun characters getting killed, until JASON GOES TO HELL at least. Part VII and Part VIII are just filled to the brim with insufferable assholes and losers that you just can't wait to see get killed, and that robs those movies of any sort of fear factor, in my opinion (even though I am a huge fan of Hodder's Jason).

The scene that kind of makes me roll my eyes is the three-decapitations-with-one-swing. It looks so silly. Also just before Jason makes the swing, he looks more like a ninja when he drops into view.

What made me very curious tho, there's a scene where a little girl se Jason, and he stops and walks closer to her. She's cowering with her eyes closed and he gets right into her face, and I'm just wondering what he was going to do had someone not screamed and drew his attention.

16 hours ago, HodderFodder said:

What made me very curious tho, there's a scene where a little girl se Jason, and he stops and walks closer to her. She's cowering with her eyes closed and he gets right into her face, and I'm just wondering what he was going to do had someone not screamed and drew his attention.

You know what Popples are right ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shelly Finkelstein said:

You know what Popples are right ?

Not personally, but googling it shows me. What of it?

Am I remembering wrong? I enjoy Part 6, but the one thing that diminishes it for me is that they really cut down on the gore. Most/all of the kills sort of cut away from the actually kill and/or the camera angle doesn't show it. That's not a huge negative for most things, but when I watch Parts 1-4, that's an element I enjoy. And then part 6 just comes off a bit too campy. I don't mind the style of humor and dialog, on its own, but combined with the kids and less gore, I don't like it as much.

Still a good and fun installment though!

I just like 1-3 better. And part 4 has great kills and story, but it loses it a bit with the victim characters (especially Crispin Glover's pal; can't remember his name). It goes on a bit too long, and way too stupidly, to be as enjoyable as the previous movies.

Just my opinions!!

For the later movies, Part 6 is the best though, in my opinion.

On June 9, 2017 at 7:35 PM, HodderFodder said:

The scene that kind of makes me roll my eyes is the three-decapitations-with-one-swing. It looks so silly. Also just before Jason makes the swing, he looks more like a ninja when he drops into view.

I think Jason was recalling his time at camp as a kid as he walked past a bunch of sleeping kids and did nothing to any of them, only the whimpering girl saying her prayers.

I don't think he saw them as a threat or degenerate like the drug/alcohol-abusing, sex-crazed camp counselors. He probably would've walked out and went looking for others even if he wasn't distracted.

18 hours ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

I think Jason was recalling his time at camp as a kid as he walked past a bunch of sleeping kids and did nothing to any of them, only the whimpering girl saying her prayers.

I don't think he saw them as a threat or degenerate like the drug/alcohol-abusing, sex-crazed camp counselors. He probably would've walked out and went looking for others even if he wasn't distracted.

He seemed more than willing to kill Tommy in Part IV, so I think that, after he snapped out of whatever thoughts he found himself lost in at that moment, he would have totally snuffed out the kids (had he not been interrupted).

Jason is a tragic victim, but he's also a terrible monster.

On June 15, 2017 at 8:37 PM, RKSDooM said:

He seemed more than willing to kill Tommy in Part IV, so I think that, after he snapped out of whatever thoughts he found himself lost in at that moment, he would have totally snuffed out the kids (had he not been interrupted).

Jason is a tragic victim, but he's also a terrible monster.

Ah! Possibly. But then again Tommy was actively working against him while the camp children were just lying there.

The ambiguity of that scene is what makes it so good.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 2:42 AM, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Ah! Possibly. But then again Tommy was actively working against him while the camp children were just lying there.

The ambiguity of that scene is what makes it so good.

I think the restrictions of writers, and maybe the MPAA are why Jason has not killed any kids..yet....

I think it would make perfect sense for Jason to slaughter children; since the kids always treated him as an outcast, and chased him into the water. The counselors and the children are just as guilty of Jason's death imho, and they should suffer for it storywise.

I sincerely hope one day we will witness Jason chopping up kids in a movie or series, worked like a charm for me in Sleepaway camp!

My favorite moment in JASON LIVES - FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI:

im1-iAEwbkLq1qTgbNKjukYSW5oNyGmyEnjNaz44

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RKSDooM said:

My favorite moment in JASON LIVES - FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI:

im1-iAEwbkLq1qTgbNKjukYSW5oNyGmyEnjNaz44

Love the book she is holding.  Nice insert by the filmmakers.  However, no way in heck someone of her age is reading Sartre at summer camp.  Hahaha...

I thought I was the only one to rewatch the franchise after this game came out.

I skipped the 1st 3 movies because I don't like human Jason. 

Watched part 4 and skipped 5 because of that wannabe killer crap.  

Watched part 6, 7 and 8 

Skipped 9 and went for 10. ?

I think a lot of people are re watching the movies due to this game.

Watched them all for the gazillionth time, even 9 and 10..urgh....

• Like 1

The one thing I liked about Part 6 was the music. It finally got out of the 70's and early 80's tone and the intro theme is just bad ass for Jason coming back.

Part 6 is my second favorite after Part 4. I seen them as the quintessential F13th movies. Both are  fun, have likable characters, have great kills, music, and I think both made an effort to be something.

29 minutes ago, LadySansaLannister said:

Part 6 is my second favorite after Part 4. I seen them as the quintessential F13th movies. Both are  fun, have likable characters, have great kills, music, and I think both made an effort to be something.

4 & 6 are tied for first place in my list.

A lot of them hold up well actually. Part 6 is really as far as I'm willing to watch them now to be honest (part 7 looks really cheesy despite the great spfx and addition of Kane Hodder). Part 5 might be the exception as I rarely ever watch that one, but parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 are definitely all in my normal horror film rotation, especially parts 3, 4, & 6 which are the three F13th films I grew up on. C.J.Graham's portrayal of Jason is up alongside Ted Whites (part 4) as my overall favorite.