Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sparkhazel

Cancelled Friday the 13th Movie and the Success of F13 the Video Game

Recommended Posts

Just a thought/possibility I'm kicking around in my head, and figured it may make a good conversation.  This year they cancelled the Reboot of Friday the 13th Part 2 speculating that Paramount got cold feet after the  poor performance of reboot The Rings, but, after the success of Friday The 13th the Game, do you think Paramount may be open to letting the movie go forward due to the large amount of popularity and love for the Friday the 13th Franchise?  Just something I wanted to toss out there... because I hated when they released the news that they weren't going forward with the movie, as a huge movie fan as I am, even the ones that are considered awful.  From the trips to the Drive Ins to watch the movies back in the 80's to the Nintendo game, comic books, action figures, etc... Call me a Fanboy, but I love the Friday the 13th series, and here is to hoping they change their mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally am glad this one was scrapped. I dont want another "Origin led" movie. With the reboot made, they need to just go back to Jason doing what he does best. Kill for mother :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luckystrike2778 said:

I personally am glad this one was scrapped. I dont want another "Origin led" movie. With the reboot made, they need to just go back to Jason doing what he does best. Kill for mother :)

Agreed, only thing that really disappointed me about the original series was how when Part 9 rolled around, it just went WAY off the deep end IMO.  It went from Kill for mother, to possessed people and eating hearts.... was just a bit weird.  The most recent reboot kinda laid a better ground work for why Jason was how he was than some sort of necronomicon and evil curse...  But that's just my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sparkhazel said:

What about the possibility of Warner Bros. making a reboot?

In all honesty this will probably be more determined by the success of the next Halloween movie if it flops they'll probably see it as a bad idea  if it does well and generates a buzz they'll want to capitalize as well by making a Friday The 13th big slasher franchises go hand and hand when one  slasher icon does well the whole genre does also  because it shows there's still a market for it  I think this game does up the chances for more licensed horror games though

 

*edit an example would be look at how well H20 did after scream they like to strike when the slasher craze is hot again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately it is doubtful we will see another FRIDAY THE 13TH film anytime soon, as next year (I believe it is) Victor Miller's lawsuit goes into effect. He's the writer of the original FRIDAY THE 13TH, and despite what everyone has been saying for the last 30 years, he is now claiming that his work on the script was not "work-for-hire" and that he should therefore own the copyrights to all the characters (including Jason).

Apparently there was some legal reason he had to wait 30 years for the lawsuit to be viable, but I can't pretend to know what that is.

Regardless, it appears the rights to making a new FRIDAY THE 13TH movie are going to be a real clusterfuck to obtain for the foreseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RKSDooM said:

Unfortunately it is doubtful we will see another FRIDAY THE 13TH film anytime soon, as next year (I believe it is) Victor Miller's lawsuit goes into effect. He's the writer of the original FRIDAY THE 13TH, and despite what everyone has been saying for the last 30 years, he is now claiming that his work on the script was not "work-for-hire" and that he should therefore own the copyrights to all the characters (including Jason).

Apparently there was some legal reason he had to wait 30 years for the lawsuit to be viable, but I can't pretend to know what that is.

Regardless, it appears the rights to making a new FRIDAY THE 13TH movie are going to be a real clusterfuck to obtain for the foreseeable future. 

I was reading about that on Friday the 13th franchise, pretty good website if people want to be kept in the know of all things friday the 13th happening. That would pretty strange if he did win considering sean has a production  company named after these movies lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really believe they seem to be missing the point here. There's maybe not that many 'Rings' fans out there but I'm assuming there's millions of FT13th fans out there. It's an old school movie series that never gets old. The fan base includes the younger age crowd and all of us 40s something guys that watched the movies as kids. The reboot of FT13th set for Friday 13th in October (Halloween season) is totally hitting the mark, why can't they see that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every F13th movie turned profit.

That there still is no 13th F13th movie and/or series haunts me day and night ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the game shows that people want a classic take on Friday the 13th.  Most of the reboot ideas I was hearing would have gone way to far in a different direction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2017 at 11:38 AM, sparkhazel said:

Just a thought/possibility I'm kicking around in my head, and figured it may make a good conversation.  This year they cancelled the Reboot of Friday the 13th Part 2 speculating that Paramount got cold feet after the  poor performance of reboot The Rings, but, after the success of Friday The 13th the Game, do you think Paramount may be open to letting the movie go forward due to the large amount of popularity and love for the Friday the 13th Franchise?  Just something I wanted to toss out there... because I hated when they released the news that they weren't going forward with the movie, as a huge movie fan as I am, even the ones that are considered awful.  From the trips to the Drive Ins to watch the movies back in the 80's to the Nintendo game, comic books, action figures, etc... Call me a Fanboy, but I love the Friday the 13th series, and here is to hoping they change their mind.

The reasonably good success of a game isn't going to change the mind of any execs. Not likely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:42 AM, GonzoThe912TH said:

I was reading about that on Friday the 13th franchise, pretty good website if people want to be kept in the know of all things friday the 13th happening. That would pretty strange if he did win considering sean has a production  company named after these movies lol

Exactly. He won't win. Verbiage in contract or not, it was a union script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2017 at 11:09 PM, The Arrogant Man said:

The reasonably good success of a game isn't going to change the mind of any execs. Not likely.

Yeah, Hollywood execs are the strangest people in the world. "What's this? A shitty movie that happened to star a woman and/or a minority failed? Must be because of the star, and not the bad writing or anything."

Honestly, I would be fine getting a sequel to the remake. I thought it was easily one of the better slasher movie remakes out there, and Derek Mears is a great Jason. Maybe, since the first one was essentially a remake of Parts 1,2 and 3, the next one could do zombie Jason or Tommy Jarvis?

It's sad that Rings's failure is putting a halt to two of my favorite horror franchises. Especially since they picked a weird indie horror movie for the October 13th release instead of an entry in a major money maker franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, shaderaygun said:

Yeah, Hollywood execs are the strangest people in the world. "What's this? A shitty movie that happened to star a woman and/or a minority failed? Must be because of the star, and not the bad writing or anything."

Honestly, I would be fine getting a sequel to the remake. I thought it was easily one of the better slasher movie remakes out there, and Derek Mears is a great Jason. Maybe, since the first one was essentially a remake of Parts 1,2 and 3, the next one could do zombie Jason or Tommy Jarvis?

It's sad that Rings's failure is putting a halt to two of my favorite horror franchises. Especially since they picked a weird indie horror movie for the October 13th release instead of an entry in a major money maker franchise.

The execs blame everyone. Stars are valued for their box office pull. Their pay directly reflects what their face translates to in marketing ad value, basically. In Hollywood, there's a saying, "What have you done for me lately?" You only have as much "heat" as the success of your latest project. This goes for the writers, the director, and the actors involved.

As for Paramount canceling FRIDAY, it was a good move. Platinum Dunes had been dicking around for a long time with development, grasping desperately at any trendy gimmick they thought would work. Even though it did well at the box office, the 2009 reboot had a steep drop off after the first week. Nearly 80%. That told executives that people went to see it because it was a Friday the 13th movie, but they didn't go back for seconds, nor did they go tell their friends to go see it. That metric tells them that a sequel, with the same group, is going to need some really great p&a to bring those same numbers back. In all likelihood, it wasn't going to succeed (anecdotally, I sure as shit wouldn't have seen it).

The other thing is, the RINGS failure probably was the final straw. They already read the script and signed off -- which means it didn't blow their hair back. Trust me, if an executive really believes in a project, he (or she) won't pull the plug based on the failure of a similar movie in the same genre. They already had their doubts, and this just stacked the odds too heavily on the "risk" side.

After this, it's very unlikely Platinum Dunes will be retaining the franchise -- which I'm very grateful for. I can't wait until it goes to WB, and a new producer can take over. You can bet I'll be the first in line to pitch my ass off at that meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about this earlier and I kind of hope there will be a new movie soon, so long as it's done RIGHT and not some half-arsed hollywood bullshit. 

 

If they do decide to make a new one, I hope they don't just ignore this awesome game and the hard work of the devs by just riding on the success of it. I'd like to see tie-in content from the film with new models and maps, that would be cool. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason this game has seen such loyalty through this tough month is because it is Friday the 13th. If it was a new IP, it would have been ditched already by most people. Whether anyone has seen the films or not, they know who Jason is. The familiarity with him went all the way back 21 years ago when Drew Barrymore said he was the killer in Friday the 13th during the opening of Scream(I always wondered what would have happened if she got it right). 

This game would have had to see success unprecedented to spark interest based on the game alone. It has done well for an indie game, but not enough to compete with triple AAA titles. If they make another film, which will be inevitable, it will be the same reason the game has seen a loyal fan base...because it is Friday the 13th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...