My suggestion is that the player has the ability to choose when to use the walkie-talkie. Perhaps a button could be mapped that would switch the player from the local in-game chat, to the walkie-talkie chat. Three reasons why i believe this should exist:

1) If players arent playing the objective and are just having fun, making jokes, and being loud on voice chat. This play style is totally fine with me, but it would be nice to choose if I want to listen to it through the walkie-talkie for the remainder of my game.

2) Sometimes it can be very overwhelming when you pick up the walkie-talkie and 6 other people are all screaming and you cant hear the game itself. There are a lot of audio cues in this game and sometimes the chat audio overpowers them.

3) My last and most important reason for the purposed change to the walkie-talkie system deals with the proximity chat function of the game. It can be very confusing when you have a walkie-talkie and the player you've teamed up with does not. Trying to stratigize with someone locally and not confuse the person across the map on their walkie-talkie (or vice versa) can confusing and frusterating. Furthermore it can be difficult to hear the person your working with locally if people on the walkie-talkie chat are being loud. Also, while this is a co-operative game, sometimes its in the best intrest of players to work in smaller groups of two. For example, the boat. If ive been working with another player to get the boat parts, I dont want to have to broadcast to the other players that we have the parts and are about to leave. They rush the boat and we all die lol. 

Overall i think my biggest argument for the change to the walkie-talkie system is strategy.

• Like 5

Just how does the Walkie-Talkie even work in this game? Do you need to push a button to use it or is it suddenly use the game chat? I'm to paranoid to use voice chat in the game to often because I know the player playing Jason can hear what you ae saying since they are in game chat as well. There isn't anything in the controller layout that hints at how to use it  or the How To Play listing. 

40 minutes ago, Darth Drago said:

Just how does the Walkie-Talkie even work in this game? Do you need to push a button to use it or is it suddenly use the game chat? I'm to paranoid to use voice chat in the game to often because I know the player playing Jason can hear what you ae saying since they are in game chat as well. There isn't anything in the controller layout that hints at how to use it  or the How To Play listing. 

Once you have a walkie, anybody else with one can hear you as if they were in your proximity. Jason can only hear people speaking in his proximity, and cannot hear what is said by people across the map. 

2 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Once you have a walkie, anybody else with one can hear you as if they were in your proximity. Jason can only hear people speaking in his proximity, and cannot hear what is said by people across the map. 

So what about game chat on the PS4 or XboxOne? Is that what is used for the proximity range? A lot of people chat on it (for better or worse) and I know playing as Jason you can hear everything they say although I'm not sure about how close you have to be to hear them.

7 minutes ago, Darth Drago said:

So what about game chat on the PS4 or XboxOne? Is that what is used for the proximity range? A lot of people chat on it (for better or worse) and I know playing as Jason you can hear everything they say although I'm not sure about how close you have to be to hear them.

Yeah. In game chat you have to be a certain distance to hear people. If they are too far you can't. 

6 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Yeah. In game chat you have to be a certain distance to hear people. If they are too far you can't. 

Ok now its making sense. Wish this something that was included in the How to Play stuff in the game.

13 minutes ago, Darth Drago said:

Ok now its making sense. Wish this something that was included in the How to Play stuff in the game.

You'll learn more by watching play footage or first hand experience then that "how to play."

18 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

You'll learn more by watching play footage or first hand experience then that "how to play."

That s for sure. I watched quite a few hours of live feed broadcasts when the pre-order/game backers got the game early. A lot of little things you pick up like making sure you open a few windows in a building.

Ok now for a proper reply to the OP.

This idea kind of makes sense especially the strategy use part.    

As a Xbox user and looking at the controller layout I could see 2 possible spots for this walkie-talkie button.

1. Hold the Flashlight button to talk. This one is the best actually since its a shoulder button.

2. Use Ability button. Not even sure what this button does anyway.

• Like 1

I would like it so that I could have less people trying to steal my objectives. It's bad enough that all 7 survivors try to clown-car their way to an escape once I get the car working.

I'd also like to toggle it because there is a lot of times I'll tell Jason false information just to confuse him, or get him to teleport somewhere else. However this confuses a lot of people, only a few people understand what I'm trying to do. Obviously not having everyone rushing over to the two seater after me and my teammate just got done finding all the parts helps. And of course there are some obnoxious people you'd rather not have in your ear. So I think it's a great idea. I've heard a lot of people say they'd almost rather not have a radio for this reason.

• Like 1

I love this idea of having to hold the flashlight button to speak to others with a walkie-talkie and relay information and such.

12 hours ago, j03audette said:

I love this idea of having to hold the flashlight button to speak to others with a walkie-talkie and relay information and such.

I'm not sure what the PS4 controller layout is like, but on the Xbox One the flashlight button is the one that would work best and that doesn't interfere with anything else. The PC shouldn't have any issues adding a quick button to their layout.

Just keep in mind a few things about this idea. First, it obviously wont stop Jason from spotting you from making noise. Secondly, you still may get unwanted people listening in (if they also have a walkie-talkie) and reacting to what you say. Finally and kind of obvious, the people you want to talk privately wit the walkie-talkie may not have found one yet.  

Another reason for being able to turn off the Walkie is that Jason can hear you planning with your neighbor to escape a certain way if someone on other side of map being chased by Jason has a walkie too.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, Darth Drago said:

I'm not sure what the PS4 controller layout is like, but on the Xbox One the flashlight button is the one that would work best and that doesn't interfere with anything else. The PC shouldn't have any issues adding a quick button to their layout.

Just keep in mind a few things about this idea. First, it obviously wont stop Jason from spotting you from making noise. Secondly, you still may get unwanted people listening in (if they also have a walkie-talkie) and reacting to what you say. Finally and kind of obvious, the people you want to talk privately wit the walkie-talkie may not have found one yet.  

It's pretty much the same, press the flashlight button to turn that on and off and when you hold it and talk that could be used for talking via the walkie-talkie.

Obviously, Jason can hear what your saying if he is near you so you still need to be smart about what you say or don't say. I like this idea about having a specific button to talk via walkie-talkie mostly because whenever I do pick one up and quite a few others have one, it becomes hard to understand what people are saying at times, especially the people close to you who do not have one which makes communicating with them harder.

Yeah I figured this would be the case with consoles. I would really love a push to talk button for us since it turns into a mess of voices sometimes 

PC has push-to-talk implemented. PS4 and Xbox should also have this, give console players an option to map it if they want it.

On 07/06/2017 at 10:32 AM, Lucas3557 said:

My suggestion is that the player has the ability to choose when to use the walkie-talkie. Perhaps a button could be mapped that would switch the player from the local in-game chat, to the walkie-talkie chat. Three reasons why i believe this should exist:

1) If players arent playing the objective and are just having fun, making jokes, and being loud on voice chat. This play style is totally fine with me, but it would be nice to choose if I want to listen to it through the walkie-talkie for the remainder of my game.

2) Sometimes it can be very overwhelming when you pick up the walkie-talkie and 6 other people are all screaming and you cant hear the game itself. There are a lot of audio cues in this game and sometimes the chat audio overpowers them.

3) My last and most important reason for the purposed change to the walkie-talkie system deals with the proximity chat function of the game. It can be very confusing when you have a walkie-talkie and the player you've teamed up with does not. Trying to stratigize with someone locally and not confuse the person across the map on their walkie-talkie (or vice versa) can confusing and frusterating. Furthermore it can be difficult to hear the person your working with locally if people on the walkie-talkie chat are being loud. Also, while this is a co-operative game, sometimes its in the best intrest of players to work in smaller groups of two. For example, the boat. If ive been working with another player to get the boat parts, I dont want to have to broadcast to the other players that we have the parts and are about to leave. They rush the boat and we all die lol. 

Overall i think my biggest argument for the change to the walkie-talkie system is strategy.

your point 3 is very important.
Alternativelly, I think that a visual list of the other counselors that have walkie-talk is usefull, too.