Fantastic Dave

Looking to buy - honest opinions, yo

OK, real talk. Big,big fan of F13 and gaming in general. I've been keeping an eye on events since release day, and despite all the grief and issues my hand is still hovering over the 'buy' button on Xbox Live.

I got burned before with No Man's Sky. I heard all the crap and still bought it - and in that case the complaints were valid. I played about 3 hours and never touched it again.I love an underdog, what can i say. I've been watching streams of this, reading all the stuff going on... So. On XB1. Should I get it? 

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on it.

Thanks.

I am enjoying it but only when I play private matches or with friends. I stopped playing in quick play because it is very common for people to not use mic. This results in frustrating gaming experience as Jason mows you down one by one and at the end of the match you are left clueless what really happened in the match. Also trolling or clueless players are big part of quick play.

You may be playing as Eric (stealthy character) and then comes Brandon or Vanessa running to your cabin and suddenly Jason pops up because they just led him to you.

With friends however I've had amazing games. I uploaded some of them on Youtube so you can check them up.

Tim, Ruben and I worked together the entire match. We used walkie talkies to communicate but unfortunately you can only hear Tims voice for some reason...

Playing against good Jason is the most fun you can have but then you really need (and I F*CKING MEAN IT!!!) mics and communication. You just can't beat him with randoms.

So with friends and people who use mic and understand how the game works you can get amazing games which make you want some more.

Also network problems are very real. I'd recommend checking this game later but if you insist on getting this now... you should bring a friend with you.

1 hour ago, Fantastic Dave said:

OK, real talk. Big,big fan of F13 and gaming in general. I've been keeping an eye on events since release day, and despite all the grief and issues my hand is still hovering over the 'buy' button on Xbox Live.

I got burned before with No Man's Sky. I heard all the crap and still bought it - and in that case the complaints were valid. I played about 3 hours and never touched it again.I love an underdog, what can i say. I've been watching streams of this, reading all the stuff going on... So. On XB1. Should I get it? 

Thanks.

You're a fan of Friday the 13th so you'll likely enjoy it. There's not much content for a non-film fan but for a Friday fan you will probably enjoy the easter eggs, etc. There's enough little things to keep you entertained. That said, XBox is still having issues I believe, so you'd be better off waiting until their matchmaking issue is fixed unless you want to hunt for private matches.

It's fun, it crashes alot though, and their are quite a few gamebreaking bug's that I've encountered as both councilors and as jason. If you like your fun mixed with aggrevation (that you get to unleash most of when you play jason) go for it. It's got a lot of potential, and if they do it right, it's going to get better. Like I said though, I'm hitting the topic again to expound on it a little, it crashes, alot. As host, your lucky to get through 3 games before you're kicked back to your dashboard, memory leaks im guessing. As a player, your host faces the same issue. Playing with friends we play 2-3 games, quit and restart the game, rinse and repeat. It's become less aggrevating with that, but until I caught that trend, heh, well I won't state the language that spewed forth from my mouth here, lol. Anyways, if you do decide to get it, and want to play a game or two an learn the ropes, shoot me a pm on the forums here!

~~edit~~ Also on xbox we have clubs, one is called Friday the 13th Maniacs. Helps with finding private games, once you have the game and join, you just pop onto the club page and you'll be greeted by a swarm of invites from randoms of every flavor. If you choose to host yourself, press Y in your private lobby, select choose from club, choose friday the 13th maniacs, change invite to party to invite to game, press a down the list (31 people max) and press start and generally you'll fill a lobby up really quickly.

Edited by b33tlejuice
Info about private games on xbox 1

I recommend getting it--after waiting. The game is good, but right now there are a lot of problems, especially for console players. Even with the issues being fixed every day, it's better to wait and play the game with no issues than to pay and then get a poor experience while you wait. In addition, they'll be adding content. Single-player sometime this summer, plus free maps, etc. So if you wait, you'll be starting with more content than what's there now.

Personally I find there to be enough content, and the game to be a lot more complex than say, Dead by Daylight. My only issue is that unless you're playing Private matches and can control who plays Jason, you play him very infrequently, and right now there's no easy way to practice playing him. Single Player will take care of that, but gotta wait.

1 hour ago, Fantastic Dave said:

Thanks.

You're a fan? I'm a fan. You'll love it. They nailed the ambience. They got Kane Hodder to play Jason. They got Tom Savini to do the music. It is authentic. My advice, watch some matches on YouTube. If you like what you see, buy it.

I haven't encountered nearly the amount of issues that a lot of people talk about. Don't know if that's because I'm on PS4. I have had the game crash the match quite a bit but that usually happens right away. Haven't had it happen like 15 minutes in or anything. Some people have though and that would suck. 

I am a huge fan of the first four Friday the 13th films...when Jason still seemed sort of believable. This game captures the essence of those (to me anyway).

The maps are great. You have classic Camp Crystal Lake, then you have Packanack lodge from Friday part 2, and Higgins Haven from part 3. It's really cool running around in those areas from the films.

As for playing Quickplay matches online...it's a mixed bag but first and foremost USE A MICROPHONE. It's SO frustrating and also annoying when people don't communicate. It's also a social experience and part of the fun is that when you're dead and in spectator mode having conversations with the other deceased players. And when you find the walkie talkie and can actually communicate over distance during a match it sucks when others don't use that option.

The different Jason's are cool and each has his ups and downs. My personal fav is sackhead from part 2 just because he was still fairly human and I find that scarier than the rest. You'll find one that suits you.

I prefer playing as the victims and although I find it satisfying when I live through a match, I love it when Jason catches me because the death scenes are AWESOME. Sort of sucks when Jason just uses regular melee attacks to take you down. The fireplace environmental kill is my fav death so far.

Then there are the different play styles. There are some people who hate it when the counsellors don't coordinate and act like a special forces team. I find that fun at times but also unrealistic because in the movies they were a bunch of hysterical teens. Sometimes I will play as a total team player, other times I lone wolf it. Sometimes if I use a strength based character I find a weapon and go after Jason myself when I tire of running, and other times if I'm stealth based I'll spend the match moving from one hiding place to another, trying to run down the clock. I like to play as they do in the films for the most part, but I also help other players as much as possible. My fav is distracting Jason and sacrificing myself so that the others can escape. Made a lot of pals online like that! LOL Many options available so you can change your style from match to match if you want or you can find a character that suits you and stick with it. 

The community has been cool to me so far. I found that people are very helpful when you first start learning how to play. When my buddy wanted to start playing I hosted a private match with just he and I and we took turns playing as Jason and we also walked around the maps together so he could try different weapons, learn how to fix the car and the boat, barricade doors, etc. Then we invited a really experienced player in and I played as Jason. We had a blast and my buddy LOVES the game. 

Hope this helped!

Buy it, it's a fun game to play I LOVE the game so much from release data I probably played about 124 hours on PS4

Before the latest patch I would of said no. Since the latest patch I would say absolutely buy it yes. It was taking around 15 minutes to find a session. Since the patch it's less than 5 minutes. The game is so much fun. Bought it the day after it came out and have played it everyday since. 

Hi Dave

If you're thinking of getting this for the XBox ONE the game is amazing when it works and the honest truth is...

Most of the time it still doesn't work.

You are able to join player created Private Matches.

These generally suck because everyone starts in a party.  People can talk to each other when they shouldn't be able to.  People often give away positions by accident and some to it on purpose.

It works and it's kind of fun but it's not how the game was made to be played.

In Quickmatch the chat works in proximity.  You can hear people near you.  Jason can hear you if he's near you.  You can hear anyone with a Walkie Talkie if you collect one yourself.

It makes for a better game.

Most people can and do chat.  They're starting to understand how it works.  People are genuinely nervous chatting because they don't want to be too loud because they know if Jason hears them they're in trouble.  You hear the desperate cries of people who are being attacked by Jason as they call for help.  It's amazing.

Even in a Private Match you'll have people with no Mic or who don't speak, and not everyone is going to be a jerk and give away positions but the better experience is definately Quickplay.

So it's an amazing game when it works.

It doesn't always work.

They're working to fix it and the first patch has included some visual tweaks as well.

I was about to call Microsoft to request a refund after only being able to get into a Quicmatch game on 30/05/17 but then I got in some games yesterday and had a blast.

Then it stopped working again.

So buyer beware on this one.  You might have to wait for fixes that could be a week or more coming.

There should be a patch in the coming days that addresses the match making issues on Xbox One. From what I have seen on PS4 so far is that quick play is now immensely better and wait times are short. As far as the question should I buy it, well that is up to you. If you are a fan I think you will enjoy the work that has been done here. Even if you are a non fan you should enjoy it as I find it very fun and a refreshing change from the IP's that are constantly recycled from AAA publishers. With that said that is my opinion. My suggestion is to watch game play videos or streams of the game and that should help you make an informed decision. What you see is what you get for the most part.

• Like 2

Depending on which way you go with it. PC is definitely the platform to get it on. Very few, if any crashes, and matchmaking actually works.

On Xbox the game crashes about 3 out of 5 games. Matchmaking doesn't work at all. Even though that is getting patched very soon apparently.

But the game crashes A LOT on Xbox, and it does get annoying very quickly.

With that being said though, the game is extremely fun when it works.

Also wanted to add that I cannot stand multiplayer games...but I adore this one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyKapow said:

Also wanted to add that I cannot stand multiplayer games...but I adore this one. 

I second this. I actually do not play multiplayer games. Have never enjoyed them. But honestly with this game, I've had more laughs, more tension, more fun and met more cool people then I thought possible. And I play on PS4. Even with bugs and such, still can't recommend enough. And it's only going to grow in size!

2 minutes ago, cruehitman said:

I second this. I actually do not play multiplayer games. Have never enjoyed them. But honestly with this game, I've had more laughs, more tension, more fun and met more cool people then I thought possible. And I play on PS4. Even with bugs and such, still can't recommend enough. And it's only going to grow in size!

You can add me if you want as I play on PS4 as well. Gamertag is JohnnyKapow...please put F13 in the message. Today is June 7 and after 12pm I will be playing for about 10 hours as my gf will be at work.

If not then happy gaming and enjoy the massacre at CAMP BLOOD!

58 minutes ago, Bulldawg2010 said:

Depending on which way you go with it. PC is definitely the platform to get it on. Very few, if any crashes, and matchmaking actually works.

On Xbox the game crashes about 3 out of 5 games. Matchmaking doesn't work at all. Even though that is getting patched very soon apparently.

But the game crashes A LOT on Xbox, and it does get annoying very quickly.

With that being said though, the game is extremely fun when it works.

This is not the experience I've had on XBox ONE but admittedly, I've not had many games.

What people and possibly even Bulldawg himself might not realise is that the game isn't crashing and throwing them out of matches.

The player who's XBox has been selected as the Host Server is often quitting out because they didn't get to be Jason or just thought "Oh, I've been killed now, I don't wanna wait" and quit out... not realising they're dumping everyone out of the tub as they do so.

Quickmatch is supposed to be P 2 P but the matches I've had were hosted by individuals.  You can see the host at the beginning of the match.  They're the only one without any PING.  It's a compromise I can live with as it's been letting me play but when that host quits... everyone else is dumped.  

That's not the game actually crashing (and mine actually has crashed twice... screen freeze accompanied by that annoying prolonged Dub-Step sound) but that was just in the main menu.  Never had an actual crash in the game.

And JPops....

Fantastic news about a patch update.

I'd give you a hug but mother told me not to.

All I read is your first sentence where you said that you are a really big fan of the f13 movies. If that's the case then it should be a definite buy, a no brainer. Even with its connection Issues and crashes it's still worth the price of admission if you enjoy the movies. The games bugs and short comings will be fixed and sorted out. 

Oh and the game is nothing like a no mans sky. The game delivered what they were advertising. 

Even with the bugs/cheaters/annoying complainers, I love the game. If you love F13th, you will love playing as Jason. The kills are hilarious and it is also entertaining when players escape.

Being a spectator is like watching a new F13th movie. Every match is different, even when playing in organized groups.

From the sounds of it, Gun is going to keep improving on the game.

Just my 2 cents, but I was also on the fence even when I saw the Kickstarter. Now I regret not backing it when it was announced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azrael008uk said:

This is not the experience I've had on XBox ONE but admittedly, I've not had many games.

What people and possibly even Bulldawg himself might not realise is that the game isn't crashing and throwing them out of matches.

The player who's XBox has been selected as the Host Server is often quitting out because they didn't get to be Jason or just thought "Oh, I've been killed now, I don't wanna wait" and quit out... not realising they're dumping everyone out of the tub as they do so.

Quickmatch is supposed to be P 2 P but the matches I've had were hosted by individuals.  You can see the host at the beginning of the match.  They're the only one without any PING.  It's a compromise I can live with as it's been letting me play but when that host quits... everyone else is dumped.  

That's not the game actually crashing (and mine actually has crashed twice... screen freeze accompanied by that annoying prolonged Dub-Step sound) but that was just in the main menu.  Never had an actual crash in the game.

And JPops....

Fantastic news about a patch update.

I'd give you a hug but mother told me not to.

I exclusively play with 7 of my friends, and more often than not, I'm the host.

So I can tell you first hand that most of these crashes are crashes and not people quitting.

it seems like, for me anyways, that when playing as Jason the game crashes more often than that of playing as a counselor, even though I have had my fair share of crashes from playing as a counselor as well.

edit- and hearing a sound associated with a crash, like the game making that god awful brbrebrbrvrvrbrr r noise is considered a hard crash. Soft crashes are were it boots you to the Xbox dashboard.

Well, thanks guys. Seriously, all of your comments are incredibly helpful. 

I've gone ahead and bought it!! Just waiting for it to download. The fact it's a F13 game was enough to sway me - and hopefully any forthcoming patches will iron out any problems. 

Once again, thanks for your time! 

• Like 1

I'd play this now while it's popular.  It's a ton of fun if you like F13.  I hope DLC keeps this game going a long time!

I was mad at the game the first week because matchmaking didn't work on PS4.  The patch fixed it - I get matches without reading a book for 45 minutes.  usually in a minute now. I'm sure they will fix Xbox also.

There are still bugs/glitches but every match is a new experience when you play in random lobbies like I like to!  A lot of exciting and fun moments also!

• Like 2

I'm PS4 as well and during the first week it was frustrating but the times you got to actually play were awesome! This game should get better with age!

Ah. Well. Went online last night. Couldn't get a quick play match at all. The first time is was searching for sessions it crashed, the following 5 times it just searched forever. So I joined a club and did a private match, which was awesome. But then it crashed after about four minutes :(

What i did manage to play was fun - the look, the feel, the music... It's all good!! And hiding under a bed was pretty tense while Jason as outside the cabin. So cool!

I gather there is a patch for XB1 coming tomorrow? I hope this fixes the server problem, because i really want to play. I won't be looking for a refund or complaining - I'll just quietly sit here and hope...

• Like 1

Yeah the Xbox One version I think is the buggiest, but hang in there. When it works it is incredible. Wish you were on PS4! Love to murder/be murdered by you. LOL

I'd wait until GUN gets their heads from their asses and fixes the issues, I'd also wait for more content, right now this is a 15$ game at best, you're paying 40$ because "it's not a full game." However, You and I can buy 15-20$ indy games about paper, flowers, bread, goats, and snakes that are 110% better than this fucking game.

I'm a fan, and I have fun with it, but I'm not going to sugar coat a dog turd, this is a bad game, and it was handled poorly, and still handled poorly. This forum is full of sensitive fanboys who will over-react to this post, and call this game the GOAT,. But, what do you expect, it's the official boards. I'll get called a troll, and I'll get told to stop playing the game, but people don't realize that you can't be biased towards a fucking product just because you bought and enjoy it. Nothing is fucking perfect, in this games case, it's so far from being "not perfect" it's almost just shovel ware, shelf dust collecting, trash.You wanted to beat the NES game and do a true f13, when the nes game is atleast playable out of the box launch day ;).

It's not a game you should buy right now. You can wait, trust me, had I known this was going to be the case, I wouldn't have bought the game. I'd get a refund, but I'm an honest person and I'll patiently wait it out. I believe in Gun, but I also believe they need to speak to their fans properly, stop giving ivague, pointless, excuses, and using illusive language when asked shit upfront. They won't compensate players for the now 3 weeks of not being able to actually enjoy the game. They won't admit they lied about gaining the lost XP back.. It's just handled poorly. Don't say things unless you 100% know. This is customer service 101, customers are fucking rabid, and don't forget anything, trust me, I know. Maybe this is why they're silent? Who knows, but it's better than getting an impossible answer from them, you know won't be had.

Now let the hellfire and brimstone rain down upon me