Beetlejuice91

Favorite Horror Literature

There doesn't seem to be a discussion about horror literature so I thought I'd start a topic on it. What are some of your favorite horror novels or stories?

Some of my favorites fall in different categories

Classic: Anything by Edgar Allan Poe (The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart), Mary Shelley (Frankenstein), Bram Stoker (Dracula), Washington Irving (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and The Adventures of the German Student) and HP Lovecraft (Herbert West: Re-Animator and anything with Cthulhu)

Modern: The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (What the first Hellraiser film was based on) as well as Cabal (Haven't read it yet, but know Nightbreed was based off of it), The Batman/Dracula Trilogy written by Doug Moench and Vampire$ by John Steakley (what John Carpenter's Vampires was based on)

Anything you posters like to read?

Mr. B. Gone, the Great and Secret Show, Books of Blood, and the Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker were all worth the read in addition to those you listed.

Typically, every February I can find a nice horror anthology of the year prior at Barnes and Nobles. Typically pick those up as well.

Shadow Over Innsmouth for me. It's the right mix of Lovecraftian cosmic horror with more down to Earth, getting chased by a village of maniacs horror.

I will say though, I'm reading House of Leaves right now and it is fantastic. Strong recommendation for horror fans.

The Shining is far better as a book than it was a movie - and I loved that flick!

Agree with previous posters about the Hellbound Heart; it is actually poetic in its genius! 

The Exorcist and Legion are both great books as well. 

The Amityville Horror was actually a pretty fun read. 

Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Hell House by Richard Matheson are excellent ghost novels. 

Lovecraft and Poe, of course. 

Nowadays I mainly read Stephen King (I loved Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, Duma Key, Doctor Sleep, and Mr. Mercedes to name a few, absolutely hated Tommyknockers & Pet Semetary though), but I've in the past enjoyed reading Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House, William Blatty's The Exorcist, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts, the short stories of Edgar Allen Poe (The Raven, The Cask of Amontillado, Fall of the House of Usher etc.), and a lot of R.L. Stine of books (mainly when I was a kid) from both his Goosebumps & Fear Street series such as 99 Fear Street: The Third Horror, The Haunted Mask, Phantom of the Auditorium, Fear Street Saga: House of Whispers. Though lately I've been thinking about checking out more of Clive Barker's books as I've so far only read one of his short stories, which became the basis for on of my favorite movies from the 90's Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions.

I like the EC comics like vault of horror,  tales from the crypt etc you can get the volumes on amazon for fairly cheap. 

Will have to go through what I've read, but the first thing that jumped to the top in my mind was Nick Cutter's "The Deep", and David Dunwoody's "The Harvest Cycle". Also short stories by Stephen King (particularly "N")

I have a great audio book collection of Lovecraft works. It's narrated by the dude that narrates the game "The Darkest Dungeon". VERY AWESOME VOICE.