HodderFodder

Getting really sick of being stunlocked

The last three games of Jason I've played, I get stuck where a pack of 3-4 players just surround me and keep me down. As soon as I unlock, I start swinging, I ht one person--and then someone else gets me down. Someone drops a med spray and heals the person I injured. Grabbing is not going to work either. I make space, try to use throwing knives, and either I miss or I eat a flare gun. The last game had inordinately long stuns, so they must've been armed wtih serious perks.

How the hell do you fight a group of counselors who are coordinated, well equipped and know what they're doing?

One game, players had dropped all their unused items at the police exit before leaving, so there was a pile of flare guns, med sprays and weapons, and the group just kept me down and taunted me. This game I tried using Jason 3, because of his high weapon damage and ability to run, but J3 also has weak stun resistance, so I was really taking it the entire session.

It's goddamn humiliating and I have no idea how to deal with this.

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

R2 just swing your weapon lol

I addressed this in the OP: I ht one person--and then someone else gets me down. Someone drops a med spray and heals the person I injured. I idid nothing but swing for 3 "rounds" fo stuns and it got me nowhere.

6 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

You can shift out of there and re-think your strategy =)

I am asking, what strategy deals with an armed group. As I said int he OP, I tried knives, and wind up eating a gun/flare or just flat out miss.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Switch into combat stance and try blocking their attacks. That will cause their weapons to break. 

Okay, this is something. Will this work against attacks from behind?

I agree with this. Im actually at the point where sometimes I dont even want to play as Jason. Baseball bat ... stun. Get up. Shotgun ... stun. Get up. Flares ... stun. Get up. More flares ... stun. Finally get a grab ... pocket knife .... stun. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ste_Wolf said:

Try isolating them and picking them off.

If they're not afraid of Jason, they're not going to run away/scatter. They took turns looking for more weapons while I was down.

I've been thinking that there is too much stunning against Jason right now, but have been mulling it over. I do think that there should be some tweaks (maybe less flares/fireworks/pocketknives), and I also know that would make a segment of players scream in anguish, hehe, but it might be the right path (or maybe things are fine as is, but I feel like there's a slight imbalance).

All that said, here's the only advice I have and how I've managed to succeed through this, as I've encountered similar groups a few times, but managed to win the day (I consider a Jason win roughly 0-2 survivors, while the occasional 3 or 4 survivors does happen due to some bad luck or a mistake I've made):

Take the beating, swing and cut through them when you can (definitely enter combat stance and try blocking, that will help). Definitely use your weapon attack and don't grab (as you know - unless enough separation occurs when you can quickly pull off a kill as they look on in horror). They will use up all of their toys and you will still be standing. And then you can kill them. That's the only advice I have for it. I had a huge group just taking turns, well coordinated, like you described, and I took the beating. They knocked off my mask as I managed to chop a few of them down... eventually, their numbers were lessened, and they were out of their guns, and only ONE of them managed to escape me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VideodromeStereo said:

Sooooo...Jason already went from being over powered to under powered?

Shit, that was fast. :lol:

Really depends on how good or bad the player using Jason is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Fresh Jes said:

Really depends on how good or bad the player using Jason is. 

This. It's player skill. I fully acknowledge that I am a horrible Jason player, but I've been in games where Jason7 flies through the game in a quick murder spree. Jason isn't OP or UP. The counselors are playing better, end of story.

I know the Jason strategy--immediately morph to the phone/car, trap it up, kill generators, hunt people down, shift+grab. And yet I'm still getting 1-2 kills a match. I get better by endless hours of practice. It took me days to be a decent counselor, but it's easy to get into a game as a counselor. Even set as "Preferred Jason", I might get to play him twice in a day? So fewer opportunities to practice, and it's hard to get better when you are being repeatedly teabagged.

It's to the point I don't even want to play until Single Player comes out, so I can practice against AI bots until I'm competent at knife throwing and shift-grab.

I can tell you it's a lot easier to morph to the closest cluster of cabins as fast as possible, not to the cars,  also if your having trouble with a particular player like one time I circled one around a couch for about 4 minutes.  Don't do this just morph to another cluster of cabins you'll catch someone off guard and key thing not giving them time to gather supplys and team up. Hit the weak ones first. Don't give them kids any borrowed time lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HodderFodder said:

The last three games of Jason I've played, I get stuck where a pack of 3-4 players just surround me and keep me down. As soon as I unlock, I start swinging, I ht one person--and then someone else gets me down. Someone drops a med spray and heals the person I injured. Grabbing is not going to work either. I make space, try to use throwing knives, and either I miss or I eat a flare gun. The last game had inordinately long stuns, so they must've been armed wtih serious perks.

How the hell do you fight a group of counselors who are coordinated, well equipped and know what they're doing?

One game, players had dropped all their unused items at the police exit before leaving, so there was a pile of flare guns, med sprays and weapons, and the group just kept me down and taunted me. This game I tried using Jason 3, because of his high weapon damage and ability to run, but J3 also has weak stun resistance, so I was really taking it the entire session.

It's goddamn humiliating and I have no idea how to deal with this.

How broken Jason is you have no right to complain 

I've had the same thing happen.

take the car escape as an example.As Jason I was surrounded. Every councilor had a flare gun or shotgun ect. As jason I just walked away. Let them feel safe and get into the car, and shift grabbed the driver.

I also melee like a mad man, and just assume most councilors have pocket knives 

councilors are getting smart, and strategic. Which is why I'm baffled at the crowd saying Jason needs to be nerfed

The game is well balanced assuming you play as a team, and use the councilors strengths properly. Same goes for Jason. A lot of Jason's act like a tank and just walk into a Crowd of councilors without thinking if I get stunned and the car is started than the councilors win

Never had this happen. With morph, shift and knives there is always a way to deal with those meddlesome kids. If they gather around you, grab one and start a kill animation. Or shift behind the group.  Or port a Lil ways away and turn on stalk and shift back when  they think you have gone.  

I had a group of 3 come at me and try to do the kill. I quickly shifted and grabbed the one in the sweater. After that, I punched a hole through Jarvis heart.  They last one tried to swim away haha

• Like 1

Yes! Another strategy to use is to morph away, and then shift (and/or stealth shift) back to them and grab one person quickly. I forgot about doing that. That can really work if you do it well. You can even just walk away, instead of using a morph (if time permits).

Again, just remember that you'll out live them if they want to go blow for blow, no matter how bad it may seem while they unload all their toys on you.

With the car, I've generally found that the stun lasts shorter than the amount of time it takes for the driver to get back into the car and start it up (although, perks may alter that, I suppose).

Of course, try to avoid the stuns as best you can. Move around to avoid the guns, and try to block the melee attacks. I often forget to try blocking and just focus on hitting them, myself, so I need to get better at keeping that in mind.

54 minutes ago, HodderFodder said:

This. It's player skill. I fully acknowledge that I am a horrible Jason player, but I've been in games where Jason7 flies through the game in a quick murder spree. Jason isn't OP or UP. The counselors are playing better, end of story.

I know the Jason strategy--immediately morph to the phone/car, trap it up, kill generators, hunt people down, shift+grab. And yet I'm still getting 1-2 kills a match. I get better by endless hours of practice. It took me days to be a decent counselor, but it's easy to get into a game as a counselor. Even set as "Preferred Jason", I might get to play him twice in a day? So fewer opportunities to practice, and it's hard to get better when you are being repeatedly teabagged.

It's to the point I don't even want to play until Single Player comes out, so I can practice against AI bots until I'm competent at knife throwing and shift-grab.

Hey dude I'm total trash with Jason. What version are you playing? Xbox by any chance?

I've had people try this in a cabin once. Barricaded the door and all had weapons to stun. What I did was break down the door and run to the side I shifted in the room behind them they never saw it coming ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They tried this on me a couple of times, I went through them like a blender in combat mode as part 3 Jason.

Meanwhile they start freaking out over mics because they are dropping left and right.

You just need to make one person freak out and the entire formation breaks.

The bigger the group, the easier it is to hit with knives aswell.

• Like 1

Have throwing knives aplenty. corner them in a cabin, break windows, break one door down, then go to a window you broke and throw a knife through it. They'll expect you to come in the door you broke down and won't expect the knife. Also you can cancel knife throwing with the "grab/block" button. You aren't required to throw it.

Stalk+Shift is a good combo. Try walking AWAY from someone as if you don't see them, then shift TOWARDS them. I nab people a lot doing that, making them think I've lost interest in them.

I've had three or four attack in an attempt to "kill Jason." I took a few stuns. They lost a man or two and scattered when they realized they had no chance. The wounded didn't make it far.

Come to think of it, neither did the healthy.