Sign in to follow this  
malzpayne

Picking up parts/certain items shouldn't drop weapons..why..

is it just me or is it the dumbest mechanic to drop your weapon to pick up a part for a vehicle....you should be able to hold both but not use the weapon until you put the part down....i have 2 hands...comon now.

• Like 2

I agree. I find it annoying that you have to drop your weapon to move a trap. I feel like I would carry both, placing my weapon on the floor while I arm the trap, then picking the weapon back up. Right now I have to run across the cabin to pick back up my weapon from the spot that I got the trap. Also, I get to cary the shotgun on my back when I'm running around, but I cannot use either hand for carrying anything else while doing so. I think that the mechanics could be improved where:

Counselors can carry an object + weapon. A first attack swing while carrying an object would default to dropping the object (like already happens when placing a trap). If this was found to give too much advantage to the Counselors, this could be slightly nerfed by requiring the Counselor to actively drop the object, before using the weapon rather than having this happen automatically (2 button combo).

7 minutes ago, reisod said:

I agree. I find it annoying that you have to drop your weapon to move a trap. I feel like I would carry both, placing my weapon on the floor while I arm the trap, then picking the weapon back up. Right now I have to run across the cabin to pick back up my weapon from the spot that I got the trap. Also, I get to cary the shotgun on my back when I'm running around, but I cannot use either hand for carrying anything else while doing so. I think that the mechanics could be improved where:

Counselors can carry an object + weapon. A first attack swing while carrying an object would default to dropping the object (like already happens when placing a trap). If this was found to give too much advantage to the Counselors, this could be slightly nerfed by requiring the Counselor to actively drop the object, before using the weapon rather than having this happen automatically (2 button combo).

thank you for pointing that out; I forgot about traps and the shotgun....this is an excellent suggestion. Thanks for the breakdown. it just seems silly current mechanics made it to public release, but at the same time I know they can't get everything right. I believe in them to fix the kinks; its a very difficult game genre to tackle and get all right but at least they nailed the f13 vibe to a passionate level. Hopefully they get to this soon.

I see what you are saying, but I think its a good trade off. It makes it more tense and also makes you have to work together more. Have your teammate grab it or hand over your gun and grab the gas/battery etc. 

39 minutes ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

You realize you'd have to drop the weapon anyway to even do 90% of the actions involved with those parts, right?

but if the car is far away..picking up the battery drops your only line of defense that you have to completely abandon to escape and thats implying the gas is already installed to escape. especially the little baby propeller for the boat, which you can easily hold with one hand and weapon in the other.. you are right, but at least whenever i have to drop it it'll be right next to me and i don't need to go all the way back and get it.

30 minutes ago, Conan_the_Savage said:

I see what you are saying, but I think its a good trade off. It makes it more tense and also makes you have to work together more. Have your teammate grab it or hand over your gun and grab the gas/battery etc. 

i understand where you are coming from..but that implies everyone is cooperative all the time..and thats simply unrealistic and not the case. in certain circumstances you are left defenseless because its every man for himself and in that case you are dead; just force me to put  down the weapon to install it..and drop the part to use the weapon...good trade off in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, malzpayne said:

i understand where you are coming from..but that implies everyone is cooperative all the time..and thats simply unrealistic and not the case. in certain circumstances you are left defenseless because its every man for himself and in that case you are dead.

oh you're right that everyone is not cooperative, but that's the game. I HATE dropping the gun for a item that can help me escape the map, but this would make people become more of a lone wolf. 

Just now, Conan_the_Savage said:

oh you're right that everyone is not cooperative, but that's the game. I HATE dropping the gun for a item that can help be escape the map, but this would make people become more of a lone wolf. 

i see. highly controversial but i can agree to a degree.

• Like 1

Just because you are carrying a part doesn't make you defenseless. You still have the ability to drop, run, find big weapon, but you should have something in "small" items, I.E. pocket knife, firecrackers, etc., so you aren't left defenseless. In reality, it would not be easy for most to lug around 5 gallons of gas, or a car battery without having to use both hands, at some point. Also, seems you can run as fast with said items as you can without them, which is kind of an advantage already and not realistic. Not many average people are going to be able sprint carrying 5 gallons of gas or a car battery, much less either of those and a weapon, especially teenaged girls and a lot teenaged of boys. Not trying to be sexist, just being honest, those things are heavy, even for some men.

If someone is carrying a part and others are not, they should coordinate to work with the part carrier and defend them. I know it doesn't happen, but surely that is one of the things they guessed people would do.

• Like 1

It's supposed to make you scared and second guess yourself if you should actually  try to take the gas at that time or should you find some firecrackers and pocket knives first and then come back or should you have Vanessa run parts and someone with better repair install them. Try to get into the mindset of "omg there's a giant crazy dude trying to kill me and I don't know what to do" and try not to be in the mindset of "my 17 year old character on his summer job should be better at killing masked killers" 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KPops said:

In reality, it would not be easy for most to lug around 5 gallons of gas, or a car battery without having to use both hands, at some point.

its funny you say that because they all do it with one hand in the animations.

2 hours ago, SNaKe_ said:

It's supposed to make you scared and second guess yourself if you should actually  try to take the gas at that time or should you find some firecrackers and pocket knives first and then come back or should you have Vanessa run parts and someone with better repair install them. Try to get into the mindset of "omg there's a giant crazy dude trying to kill me and I don't know what to do" and try not to be in the mindset of "my 17 year old character on his summer job should be better at killing masked killers" 

i understand what you are saying,  but firecrackers and pocket knives are just chance...ive been screwed over too many times searching everywhere for them and not finding any and running into an ultimatum with some gas and my axe, run to the boat, nothing to grab to put down the gas, run out of stamina finding trying to find something, get grabbed and die..too many times. its infuriating to say the least. if not make this adjustment at least up the chance of firecrackers etc.

Yea ikr- that sucks - when Jason finds you he kills you - what a meanie

3 minutes ago, SNaKe_ said:

Yea ikr- that sucks - when Jason finds you he kills you - what a meanie

comon dude..you know what i mean..at least make the animations of holding the gas or battery 2 handed so i didn't even have the idea in the first place...i really didn't want to bitch but my natural instinct says i have a free hand and i want to use it. don't need assholes here.

It's about decisions being made. A system of risk / reward. It's dangerous to travel without a weapon as a last ditch effort but if nobody take that risk well you are just prime pickings for Jason. The reward is of course escaping camp.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPops said:

It's about decisions being made. A system of risk / reward. It's dangerous to travel without a weapon as a last ditch effort but if nobody take that risk well you are just prime pickings for Jason. The reward is of course escaping camp.

i suppose. just unfortunate constantly i guess.

27 minutes ago, malzpayne said:

comon dude..you know what i mean..at least make the animations of holding the gas or battery 2 handed so i didn't even have the idea in the first place...i really didn't want to bitch but my natural instinct says i have a free hand and i want to use it. don't need assholes here.

Sorry wasn't trying to be an asshole - just trying to make a point that they're supposed to be mostly defenseless teens who were not prepared to be stalked by a masked killer during their summer job - not navy seals who can run for miles while carrying 2x 5 gal gas/water jugs and a full backpack (even the seals have a hard time with this after a while - its part of their training to make them the strongest, fastest, most determined fighters in the world) i see what you mean by the animation / free hand tho but just imagine they're so scared that they drop stuff and also that they're supposed to die besides maybe 1 or 2 get away which usually happens, so it's fine imo

Careful posting back to back posts Malz. It's against forum policy and considered double posting. Just got asked not to do that myself.

11 minutes ago, KPops said:

Careful posting back to back posts Malz. It's against forum policy and considered double posting. Just got asked not to do that myself.

ok np

I f*cking hate finding a cabin, I'm all alone and looting the place with my shotty on my back, and I go ahead and decide to place the trap, and low and behold out of know where some idiot running from Jason runs to me takes my gun and then leaves with the gun and Jason kills me.

1 hour ago, KPops said:

He's right, I somehow missed that. I have merged the posts. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, Jayy said:

I f*cking hate finding a cabin, I'm all alone and looting the place with my shotty on my back, and I go ahead and decide to place the trap, and low and behold out of know where some idiot running from Jason runs to me takes my gun and then leaves with the gun and Jason kills me.

this shit. i understand.

• Like 1