Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bewareofbears

Tommy Jarvis Improvment Thread

Recommended Posts

I've had the chance to play as Tommy Jarvis a few times as well as seen others as him many times in matches. Before I mention anything- it's pretty cool having Thom Matthews reprise the role.

As a "Hero", Tommy is ineffective and I don't see any incentive for the Tommy player to help counselors. I have seen a few people try but like I said, they were ineffective. I think the folowing things would improve him and make it feel like he's actually a hero:

  • Spawns with Firecrackers, a Med Spray and a Pocketknife everytime
  • Fear should spike less in the presence of dead counselors
  • XP bonus for saving counselors from Jason's grasp (if there isn't already)
  • Maybe more than one bullet? Maybe not if he starts with the items suggested above
  • Maybe an ability to mark items on the map for counselors with a map to see

The joke I hear most often is: "Hey, I'm Tommy Jarvis and I've come to save you all with one bullet!"

Tommy Jarvis lived through Parts 4, 5 & 6 and, while death is something I'm sure few people get used to, the dead counselors shouldn't affect his fear so much. In his current state in-game, he plays like a boosted counselor and not a hero.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree with bewareofbears. It seems kind of like he is just another person on the map with a gun with only one bullet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Man said:

Pretty much. I'd say he should only spawn with a pocketknife though. (And of course the gun)

My thoughts on the med spray would be to heal counselors and the firecrackers to distract Jason while in the presence of counselors. Getting folks to use it as such is the hard part. It's weird to me that Tommy came all the way to help but only brought a gun and is now looting cabins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see perhaps an "opt out of Tommy" option. I've been in a ton of matches now where people spawn as Tommy, then leave the server, which for some reason bugs it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pyxis said:

I'd like to see perhaps an "opt out of Tommy" option. I've been in a ton of matches now where people spawn as Tommy, then leave the server, which for some reason bugs it out.

I think the first dead should always be Tommy, if they disconnect- then the next dead.

It would take away some of the sting of spawning by a car and being killed in the first minute or so of the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I think the first dead should always be Tommy, if they disconnect- then the next dead.

It would take away some of the sting of spawning by a car and being killed in the first minute or so of the match.

I'd agree with you except for the fact that most people who die first are people who have no idea what they're doing. Sometimes you get an unlucky spawn, but in most cases first dead is dead for a reason and rewarding them with another life to squander sucks for everyone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VI Puddin said:

I'd agree with you except for the fact that most people who die first are people who have no idea what they're doing. Sometimes you get an unlucky spawn, but in most cases first dead is dead for a reason and rewarding them with another life to squander sucks for everyone else.

I can't say I'm a skilled player but most of my earliest deaths were unlucky spawns or trying to be Brandon.

That said, an unskilled player would benefit from the boost Tommy provides and allow them to gain more skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I wish Tommy played entirely different.

Heck, I'd go as far as saying that Tommy can only be killed by environmental kills.

But the trade off?  Tommy doesn't escape.  The car can't leave with him in it.  "I'm going back.  To finish Jason, once and for all."  He can't flee to the police.  "They wouldn't believe me anyway.  No one can stop Jason.  No one but me."  He strictly is there to fight and save counselors.

Give the Tommy player a bonus for every counselor who escapes, and then END THE MATCH once the 7 counselors are dead or escaped.

Very few things are as silly as having Tommy show up to "save you" only to steal your car and immediately flee, or sitting for 10 minutes in Spectator Mode watching Tommy sit inside a sleeping bag.

Tommy is not and has never been a counselor.  He is the Hunter.  His objective needs to be to hunt and protect.  He shouldn't just be a second life for an eliminated player.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Ben Jarvis, I mean Tommy, as a troll character. He is almost useless at saving people other than himself. But,  he can literally troll Jason in wide loops through cabins and there is not much that can be done about it. He almost completely regens stamina with a 2-3 second complete crouch and stop and he's off again. The only real way to stop him is to have an inexperienced player playing, hope he messes up, or have someone play him like a hero character. 

If someone just wanted to survive as Tommy and not play the hero it is very easy to accomplish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FatGuy said:

Personally, I wish Tommy played entirely different.

Heck, I'd go as far as saying that Tommy can only be killed by environmental kills.

But the trade off?  Tommy doesn't escape.  The car can't leave with him in it.  "I'm going back.  To finish Jason, once and for all."  He can't flee to the police.  "They wouldn't believe me anyway.  No one can stop Jason.  No one but me."  He strictly is there to fight and save counselors.

Give the Tommy player a bonus for every counselor who escapes, and then END THE MATCH once the 7 counselors are dead or escaped.

Very few things are as silly as having Tommy show up to "save you" only to steal your car and immediately flee, or sitting for 10 minutes in Spectator Mode watching Tommy sit inside a sleeping bag.

Tommy is not and has never been a counselor.  He is the Hunter.  His objective needs to be to hunt and protect.  He shouldn't just be a second life for an eliminated player.

This is exactly what Tommy should be!  IF he would be allowed to escape then it should only be after the counselors are dead or escaped. 

If we are getting a Tommy that is stocked with supply, then he shouldn't be picking stuff up that the counselors could use either!  He should come prepared, as that is what Tommy does!

I personally play Tommy as the hero as close as possible...I know I am already dead, so I try to save as many counselors as possible by playing distraction to Jason.  I try to stay away from the counselors and bait Jason to me...if I am in the group then I make sure I am easiest to grab, so at least the others can run!

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know he's got really good stats but the whole one bullet thing is pretty ridiculous tbh. I think they should at least add some ammo around the map who goes camping with one shell? especially if your hunting a paranormal psycho demon. really? 1 bullet? also i love the idea of getting xp for helping others out of his grab that should definitely be a thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I've had the chance to play as Tommy Jarvis a few times as well as seen others as him many times in matches. Before I mention anything- it's pretty cool having Thom Matthews reprise the role.

As a "Hero", Tommy is ineffective and I don't see any incentive for the Tommy player to help counselors. I have seen a few people try but like I said, they were ineffective. I think the folowing things would improve him and make it feel like he's actually a hero:

  • Spawns with Firecrackers, a Med Spray and a Pocketknife everytime
  • Fear should spike less in the presence of dead counselors
  • XP bonus for saving counselors from Jason's grasp (if there isn't already)
  • Maybe more than one bullet? Maybe not if he starts with the items suggested above
  • Maybe an ability to mark items on the map for counselors with a map to see

The joke I hear most often is: "Hey, I'm Tommy Jarvis and I've come to save you all with one bullet!"

Tommy Jarvis lived through Parts 4, 5 & 6 and, while death is something I'm sure few people get used to, the dead counselors shouldn't affect his fear so much. In his current state in-game, he plays like a boosted counselor and not a hero.

 

I like the idea of fear working less, but I think I need to add, that it should only be the case as long as other counselors are in play. I played a game where Tommy was the last man and I had to morph a number of times before I could get a line on him. 

I love the idea of Tommy spawning with gear It lets him help others by giving them needed items or at least keeps him in the fight longer. 

I think Tommy's XP should come from helping others. He shouldn't get any for escaping, but should get some for everybody who escapes while he is in play.  

I think the bullet amount is reasonable. It makes no sense from a real world perspective, but works as far as the game is concerned. It also makes Tommy play smart, not like some troll tank. 

16 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I think the first dead should always be Tommy, if they disconnect- then the next dead.

It would take away some of the sting of spawning by a car and being killed in the first minute or so of the match.

This I disagree with. It gives players incentive to die first. It sucks to die early, but it is what it is.

6 hours ago, FatGuy said:

Stuff*

But the trade off?  Tommy doesn't escape.  The car can't leave with him in it.  "I'm going back.  To finish Jason, once and for all."  He can't flee to the police.  "They wouldn't believe me anyway.  No one can stop Jason.  No one but me."  He strictly is there to fight and save counselors.

*Stuff*

Tommy is not and has never been a counselor.  He is the Hunter.  His objective needs to be to hunt and protect.  He shouldn't just be a second life for an eliminated player.

I'm iffy on Tommy escaping. I just don't think he should get Xp for it. I love the thought bubbles. "They wouldn't believe me anyway." That's gold. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're going to make ways to improve him, how about less whiny voicelines. "Nooooo!" the second he sees Jason. He's coming to Fight Jason, he shouldn't act like a wuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bewareofbears said:
  • Spawns with Firecrackers, a Med Spray and a Pocketknife everytime
  • Fear should spike less in the presence of dead counselors
  • XP bonus for saving counselors from Jason's grasp (if there isn't already)
  • Maybe more than one bullet? Maybe not if he starts with the items suggested above
  • Maybe an ability to mark items on the map for counselors with a map to see

 

I agree with all of this.  I'd also like to see him with slightly above average stats all around.  I mean, he's Tommy Jarvis... he killed Jason twice (technically).  Maybe give the player who becomes Tommy extra XP for each counselor they save.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree. I've seen so many TJ come into the game only to jump into a car and drive off first thing. It shouldn't be a get out of jail free card. When playing as him you should really go balls out and try to distract Jason from the counselors. I mean why else is he there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Risinggrave said:

I like the idea of fear working less, but I think I need to add, that it should only be the case as long as other counselors are in play. I played a game where Tommy was the last man and I had to morph a number of times before I could get a line on him. 

I love the idea of Tommy spawning with gear It lets him help others by giving them needed items or at least keeps him in the fight longer. 

I think Tommy's XP should come from helping others. He shouldn't get any for escaping, but should get some for everybody who escapes while he is in play.  

I think the bullet amount is reasonable. It makes no sense from a real world perspective, but works as far as the game is concerned. It also makes Tommy play smart, not like some troll tank. 

This I disagree with. It gives players incentive to die first. It sucks to die early, but it is what it is.

I'm iffy on Tommy escaping. I just don't think he should get Xp for it. I love the thought bubbles. "They wouldn't believe me anyway." That's gold. 

 

You're right, especially if Tommy got some of the things I was suggesting- people would purposely die to be him if it was given that the first one dead is always him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...