tyrant666

Down The Road, The Devs Should Probably Consider A New Mechanic For Jason When Facing Gang Assaults By Groups Of Counselors

It might be a bit extreme for a multi kill mechanic. Just a suggestion.

It's gonna depend how things evolve over the game's life cycle.

Even though I prefer a more passive approach as Jason. Its pretty much a necessity to play that way as undead Jasons I find, because they just aren't fast enough to chase around counselors early in the game. They need to build up power, use their traps, cut power, etc. Undead Jasons have a distinctive early game disadvantage that forces them to play conservative, especially if they don't find knives outside the two in the shack early.

Human Jasons can literally be late game or early game types. You can rush in because you can chase counselors or you can sit back and setup shop.

11 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

So I was playing Packanack last night as Part 8. I was playing my usual style.

- Going around, cutting power

- Placing traps on the 4 seater and phone box since people really don't give a shit about the two seater until its too late

- Breaking down doors and windows

- Collecting Knives

So I had killed I think at least one counselor before I saw this.

I was just chilling by the car in stalk mode, just waiting for counselors to try to fix the car (or phone, since it was in Packanack, which helped me even more). Next thing I see is the entire group of counselors coming down the road with weapons, mic spamming MAKE SURE TO STUN HIM SO WE CAN REPAIR THE CAR!. They did manage to stun me about 10 times, but they kept landing in my traps around the car and the house. It felt like they had about 10 pocket knives, 10 melee weapons that never broke.

Anyway, I pretty much killed all of them as they failed time and again to get the phone working or the car fixed and the last two got so mad, one jumped out the second story of Packanack to suicide to prevent me from killing them. The other stepped in their own bear trap inside Packanack to kill themselves to prevent me from killing them.

Now ya'll might say its my fault, since my playstyle allows the counselors more time to gather weapons and/or group together. I see it as groups of party friends on the same page, which is clean, I have no issue with that.

The problem is Jason can't possibly block 6 OR 7 counselors attacking him constantly all at once.

There needs to be some sort of mechanic that allows him to keep counselors from wanting to surround him and knock him down/stun him constantly. I'm thinking the Devs should take a page from the various films in the series and ADD a MULTIPLE KILL mechanic if Jason is surrounded by two counselors or more.

Examples

2 Counselors - Jason smashes their heads together, as seen in JTGH

3 or more Counselors - Even though it won't visually make sense with the spear for instance...perhaps Part 6 Jason briefly pulls out his machete and triple decapitates 3 counselors around him. For every other Jason who uses an axe, same deal. They use their axe to triple decapitate the counselors

Now I know people are gonna say...just kill the counselors the old fashioned way. Slice and dice, grabs. I just worry this type of gameplay is going to become an annoyance and form of trolling down the road. I think allowing Jason to kill multiple counselors at a time if he's surrounded would be a good way to breakup the gang assaults on Jason, since he wouldn't be able to perform these multiple kills if only met with 2 or less counselors.

I could get down with this but Jason already has such an advantage in game that this would be really too easy to kill counselors since more often than not, the counselors are grouped together as it is.  At least this gives the Jason players a bit of a challenge and your idea sounds fun but would make it a bit too easy imo.

• Like 1

The people who gang up on Jason are so annoying...they sound like they are playing call of duty or some other war multi-player on the headset with the coordinated attacks.  I like this idea and lets remember which franchise this is...a more powerful Jason is a better game  IMO

• Like 2

This isn't a game issue, it's a player issue.  

Jason needs to slash in these situations to weaken or kill counselors. If he gets hit, he is stunned. If players get hit, they get wounded or die. 

• Like 1

Ok I've changed my mind again.

I actually feel the complete opposite now after a period of time.

If the counselors have good perks and work together, Jason is in big trouble. Chain stuns do him in and prevent him from killing everybody. Sure, he might kill a couple. But a team of cooperative counselors with good perks will stop Jason in his tracks. Between the pocket knives, being able to stun him instantly when he grabs or pocket knives. Jason needing to slash and pray like 10 times per counselor with the right perks or being stunned instantly, unable to block by counselor with heavy stun perks.

I actually now stand by my thread and think the devs should implement a one or two time only use of a multiple kill option for Jason. This would force counselors to try to use more escape methods than just picking one, gangbanging Jason until they get out and then Jason picks off the rest.

I haven't been killed yet as Jason. Haven't come close really, but its quite clear that if the counselors have the right perks and work together. They can overwhelm Jason and only if they make mistakes, can Jason overwhelm them.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but remember that facing a grabbed counselor towards an attacking member will result in them getting hit, too.  This lands the counselors with a betrayal point penalty, and weakens the counselors.  It's not much, but it will frustrate the counselors too when they're all limping while you pick them off after the weapons break.

• Like 2

On 2017-5-31 at 1:01 PM, SInful Fox said:

No, like you said you were still able to deal with them when they ganged on you.. why would jason then need a buff in that situation? makes no sense

As cool as the idea of triple kebabing three counselors is, basically this.

You handled it, should the counselors been more organised,  experienced or just better players, they could have taken your mask off and potentially ended you.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 9:03 AM, FancyBonnie said:

Then just free-swing your weapon?

I've tried that. Usually you get 1-2 hits in before Stun + Medspray.

And before you say "J3 with his weapon strength", my answer is "J3 with his weak stun resistane".

Eventually they run out of medsprays, but by then they've fixed the car/got the phone working.

The right perks definitely are trouble too. I've been hit by Bugsy and the stun lasts twice if not three times as long. I've been thinking about this, and I think I found a reasonable strategy. It shows up here.

but they kept landing in my traps around the car and the house

If you have traps, put them down when you get ganged up on, and weave around the traps.

Also the "aim grabbed counselors at attacking counselors" is a good idea, but honestly I hate grabbing counselors in the gang situation, because they are likely going to have pocket knives too.

Like a lion picking a zebra, if you see them in a group, attack the one furthest from the pack first. Do it quickly.

And blocking as Jason damages counselor weapons. You could just hold block until their weapons break.

6 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Like a lion picking a zebra, if you see them in a group, attack the one furthest from the pack first. Do it quickly.

And blocking as Jason damages counselor weapons. You could just hold block until their weapons break.

I tried this tonight. The response was to act like wolves with an elk. They fanned out and only attacked my back, while I was attacking another counselor. Combat stance does nothing when you're hit in the back--and you can also get stunned from being shot from behind with a flare. Any damage I did was med-sprayed away.

The only way I could see a multi-kill execution working is if, for example:

Jason initiates it because two counselors are right next to him.

The animation has him grabbing both of the counselors by their heads and trying to shove their heads toward each other.

The two counselors can then "Fight" by pressing E while Jason in turn has to press E in order to smash their heads together.  Thus it's two people pressing E versus one person.

Basically something that gives them a chance to break loose and potentially temporarily stun jason as a sort of penalty for trying to do it.

All I do in those situations is block. Then morph/ shift back to them.

rense and repeat.

I might get stunned every once in awhile, but eventually their weapons break, and then it's time to slay.

I wouldn't be opposed to a mechanic that prevents Jason from being continually stunned, but the odds are so against surviving in this game that it kind of gives the counselors a chance.

1 hour ago, HodderFodder said:

I tried this tonight. The response was to act like wolves with an elk. They fanned out and only attacked my back, while I was attacking another counselor. Combat stance does nothing when you're hit in the back--and you can also get stunned from being shot from behind with a flare. Any damage I did was med-sprayed away.

If you put your back to a wall, they can't hit you from the back. The most effective way to kill is to strike before they can make a plan. If all they're doing is standing in a circle waiting for you, then get some throwing knives ready and hit them from a distance. Eventually they'll run out of med sprays and if you're lucky you can force them to miss a shot with a flare or gun.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of diminishing returns on the stuns, I know weapons break over time, but being able to basically stun lock Jason for more then 5 minutes is a little silly!

The longer this game is around, the more new strategies surface. The better Jason gets, the more the counselors need to step their game up. The better the counselors get, the more Jason needs to step his game up. Counselors working together is harder to pull off if their numbers are lowered early on during a match. Likewise, the longer it takes Jason to make kills, the more time the counselors have to prepare. It's all about strategy and perspective. You encounter something new, and you try to prepare a way to deal with it. If things get too tough, you try a new strategy. I know a few Jason players out there haven't been beaten yet, and a few counselors have a good track record of surviving full matches or escaping. As far as double or triple kills for Jason, maybe 1 per match would be fine. If that never happens, then your only option is to master your craft with your existing skillset. Bottom line, the more you play, the better you get.

18 hours ago, HodderFodder said:

I've tried that. Usually you get 1-2 hits in before Stun + Medspray.

And before you say "J3 with his weapon strength", my answer is "J3 with his weak stun resistane".

Eventually they run out of medsprays, but by then they've fixed the car/got the phone working.

You know you can just block right? 

I would invite any 7 players on the forums that play on PC to party up and try this on me. I guarantee you it will not work. :) 

I'll be free any time after 5 PM EST tonight if anyone is interested.

Wait ... so let me get this straight:

1. You left the counselors alone for long enough that they were able to group up and thoroughly arm themselves.

2. All but maybe one of them that you already killed ganged up on you to hit and stun you.

3. And yet, they were never able to start the car or fix the phone.

4. And yet, you still killed every single one of them.

5. And your takeaway from all of this is that Jason needs a buff?

This is a joke, right?

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 7:01 AM, SInful Fox said:

No, like you said you were still able to deal with them when they ganged on you.. why would jason then need a buff in that situation? makes no sense

I wanted to agree with the OP.  The biggest chllenge I have is when 3+ players attack Jason with bats and stun luck him fowever,  but then he said he killed them all anyway.  Which sort of defeats the agreement.  

Although it seems the players were foolish and played poorly.  In the situation they were in there is no reason they should not have gotten away.

Players using teamwork should allow some to escape,  but constant stun lock is annoying 

16 minutes ago, SolidusPrime said:

I would invite any 7 players on the forums that play on PC to party up and try this on me. I guarantee you it will not work. :) 

I'll be free any time after 5 PM EST tonight if anyone is interested.

Pretty sure no decent players that have given this game a fair shot actually believe this kinda crap will work against a competent Jason consistently.  Especially a Jason that is anticipating it.  I.E. nobody is taking you up on this =)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FlyingDadBomb said:

Wait ... so let me get this straight:

1. You left the counselors alone for long enough that they were able to group up and thoroughly arm themselves.

2. All but maybe one of them that you already killed ganged up on you to hit and stun you.

3. And yet, they were never able to start the car or fix the phone.

4. And yet, you still killed every single one of them.

5. And your takeaway from all of this is that Jason needs a buff?

This is a joke, right?

More to the point. Its about evolution of gameplay. As counselors grow stronger and stronger with perks, especially tank and health perks. Jason becomes limited when faced with such assaults. When the counselors can knock Jason down in one blow versus him being able to slash and instantly make them limp and have to use up health. It doesn't make much sense. He's the hulking killer, they are the kids.

Knives, broken windows and simple slashes should probably all make counselor limp instantly. You want to fight Jason, you pay the price. It shouldn't be a matter of constantly being able to stun him easily so you can escape and then he picks off whose left.

I've been at all ends of this gameplay. I've wiped counselors trying this as seen in my original post. I've also been gang assaulted so some could escape while I killed the rest and others tried killing me, but I killed them first.

3 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

More to the point. Its about evolution of gameplay. As counselors grow stronger and stronger with perks, especially tank perks. Jason becomes limited when faced with such assaults. When the counselors can knock Jason down in one blow versus him being able to slash and instantly make them limp and have to use up health. It doesn't make much sense. He's the hulking killer, they are the kids.

Knives, broken windows and simple slashes should probably all make counselor limp instantly. You want to fight Jason, you pay the price. It shouldn't be a matter of constantly being able to stun him easily so you can escape and then he picks off whose left.

I've been at all ends of this gameplay. I've wiped counselors trying this as seen in my original post. I've also been gang assaulted so some could escape while I killed the rest and others tried killing me, but I killed them first.

You still seem to be missing the point. Counselors can gang up on you. You can still kill all of them. At best, they provide a distraction for someone else to get away. These are your words. And yet, you think he needs a buff.

Of all the possible areas in which to buff Jason, you choose combat of all things, with Jason being hands down the most powerful character in multiplayer gaming relative to his opponents.

Again, is this a joke? Are you actually complaining that, even though you kill everyone, you faced some resistance along the way?

I will never understand you "Jason needs a buff" types, but I've never seen one bold enough to still proclaim that he kills everyone anyway. If you kill everyone, or most everyone, what exactly is the problem?

1 minute ago, FlyingDadBomb said:

I will never understand you "Jason needs a buff" types, but I've never seen one bold enough to still proclaim that he kills everyone anyway. If you kill everyone, or most everyone, what exactly is the problem?

I don't necessarily want there to be a "buff" I just wouldn't mind seeing a "kill multiple counselors that are grouped too closely together" type kill. 2-3 max. Just for the fun of it. Make it a one time per match maybe type occurrence. Right place right time kind of thing.