Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bewareofbears

Jason/Counselor Preference Algorithm Requires Revamp

Recommended Posts

The Jason/Counselor algorithm appears to either be broken or just poorly designed.

I've played a few matches where folks with the Counselor preference selected are still playing as Jason an equal amount to others in the lobby. The following is how I thought it was going to work and how I think it should work:

Ex. 8 playing: 4 prefer Counselor, 3 prefer Jason, 1 prefers none

  • Jason should be cycling through the players who have selected the Jason preference and "None"
  • No player with counselor preference has to play as Jason in this scenario
  • It should possibly be weighted heavier to those who selected Jason over none

Ex. 8 people, all prefer Counselor

  • Each has to take a turn as Jason
  • If a Jason preference player enters the match, he plays as Jason every time

Ex. 8 people, all prefer Jason

  • Each takes a turn as Jason
  • If a player with Counselor preference joins, they do not play as Jason

I get my examples are redundant but I'm spelling it out. Is this possible? Basically, those who prefer Counselor should only play as Jason when it's a necessity. I've been in a few games where folks have said they have the Counselor preference set and end up as Jason even though there are folks in the lobby with the Jason preference.

When you enter a new lobby- it appears to put you at the bottom of the list, behind even those (who were there when you joined) but have selected the Counselor preference.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It's a dice roll rather than like drawing lots, which it should be instead. The "preference" simply adds more percentage to your dice roll.

Played for hours. Got to be Jason twice...and was disconnected both times. Later, out of four games...the same dude was picked to be Jason. It almost seems like the algorithm expects 8 people to play 8 games in a row together. You can sign in for the first time, enter a match where people have been playing for ages, and immediately play Jason...or be one of those people playing for ages and never touch him. It could definitely use some tuning, cause it is bizarre how little or how much you can play as him no matter what you set your preference to. I'm not 100% sure preference works at the moment(PS4) since I had it set as counselor at one point and got picked to be Jason over people pleading that the game picks them and how they haven't been able to play him yet. Then I switched it to Jason and now I am in the same boat as them. Anecdotal personal experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It's a dice roll rather than like drawing lots, which it should be instead. The "preference" simply adds more percentage to your dice roll.

If it's not broken then I'd just say it sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep my preference set to neither. I usually end up as Jason every 4-5 rounds or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

I keep my preference set to neither. I usually end up as Jason every 4-5 rounds or so.

Mine's on Jason and I think I played about ten rounds tonight, maybe more. Got in as Jason once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no preference and rarely get jason i like to play both but if i want that 1000 jason plays achieves damn thats gonna take forever even if play private and be him each game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Davidt said:

I have no preference and rarely get jason i like to play both but if i want that 1000 jason plays achieves damn thats gonna take forever even if play private and be him each game

This achievement is ridiculous. Maybe 500 but that would still be crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bewareofbears said:

This achievement is ridiculous. Maybe 500 but that would still be crazy.

True if u stay for the entire whole match each round its gonna take 20,000 mins to just get 1 of the counselor or jason played achieves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my preference set to counselor and get Jason A LOT. Yesterday I was in a quick play lobby with some friends, who hadn't even set a preference and I played as him three times in what must have been about ten matches. Meanwhile my friend who just got the game (no preference set) still hasn't played as Jason. I'm wondering if levels have something to do with it? Perhaps it favours giving Jason to the more "experienced", higher level player in the hope of making him more menacing? Either way, I think something is messed up as i'm playing as him so often. I don't mind though as he's devilishly fun. I just prefer the terrifying helplessness of being a counselor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RainyWoods said:

I have my preference set to counselor and get Jason A LOT. Yesterday I was in a quick play lobby with some friends, who hadn't even set a preference and I played as him three times in what must have been about ten matches. Meanwhile my friend who just got the game (no preference set) still hasn't played as Jason. I'm wondering if levels have something to do with it? Perhaps it favours giving Jason to the more "experienced", higher level player in the hope of making him more menacing? Either way, I think something is messed up as i'm playing as him so often. I don't mind though as he's devilishly fun. I just prefer the terrifying helplessness of being a counselor.

That's interesting, I'll have to pay attention to that.

7 minutes ago, Davidt said:

True if u stay for the entire whole match each round its gonna take 20,000 mins to just get 1 of the counselor or jason played achieves

For a game with 3 maps, one game mode and a 1-in-8 chance to be Jason, 1000 times is bizarre. I'm really enjoying this game but I don't know if I will spend that much of my life playing it- unless the servers are on for the next 10 years.

New maps will help, new Jasons too- still, 1000 times... I've got about 992 more to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why people who don't want to play as Jason are being selected to play as Jason.  That makes zero sense to me.  If they select a counselor preference then why not remove their ability to be Jason, and just give that % chance to those who have no preference or Jason preference?

That's what I thought they were gonna go for.  That would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The longer you are in the server and don't get to play Jason the % chance should go up for the next round. If you have Jason as a preference they more % goes into your pool. If you have no preference then the % should be a a little smaller and obvious if you want to be counselor more, then that's the lowest %. I played way too many match to not have the Jason roll with him as my preference. No way should a player be able to play as Jason more then once over people that haven't had the chance to play him especially with Jason's preference checked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely busted.

Hosting a lobby, new players who join are consistently picked as Jason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Group i was in last i played one guy had preference set to jason and never got him once while i have no preference and played him 3 times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Davidt said:

Group i was in last i played one guy had preference set to jason and never got him once while i have no preference and played him 3 times

It's broke. I wonder if they'll address this soon. :( It's killing some of my interest because I don't want to go 4 or 5 hours all the time before playing Jason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should  be something like this I think. 

Jason preference: d20

None: d10

Counselor preference: d6 (or a d5 these aren't real dice just a random number generator) *

You are rolling to be Jason only because that just makes sense to me and is by far the easiest implementation of this mechanic. 

Game rolls for each player and if there is a tie it rolls between the tied players. So if a Jason and a counselor preference both roll a 6 they have a tie breaker and it rolls again. The odds are in a Jason preference favor but he could still lose. This keeps people from only playing counselors but gives Jason preference players the advantage in being selected. 

*was really thinking in terms of actual dice for a second. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...