Sign in to follow this  

Okay. So i'm gonna address the elephant in the room.

Reviewers hate this game apparently. And i'm not gonna knock and talk down on them, but from the reviews i've read they seem to have no idea what they're talking about. Most are complaining about Jason being OP and how we should be able to kill him easier. Or how easy it is for Jason to kill you if he gets his hands on you.

And i mean thats kinda the point, right?

Chad face proved to be very damaging for reviews as well. Although i think people were a little too hard on it. I mean its a fucking face.

Plenty of bugs, glitches and server issues (server probably being the worst on reviews).

But are we and the reviewers even playing the same game? They seemed to have skipped over all the fun bits or intentionally only saw the bad. Sure you can nit pick like me. I'd like to see a lot of shit fixed, and it needs to be. But it seems they've never been in a good game.

Additional note: I don't know how people say its not scary. Every time Jason walks through a door or wall i shit my pants.

• Like 7

I think a lot of them are missing the strategic aspect of the game, such as fear, stealth, etc. I know to the general person that stuff isn't as in-your-face. They probably just started playing and didn't really understand the mechanisms of the entire game.

• Like 4

Beside, Its not alway as easy as it look to be jason, especially if you face a well coordinated team of counselor.

• Like 7

To be honest, if I was to review the game critically over the last 3-4 days, I'd probably say it's a 6 out of 10 at best. And that's coming from someone who loves the game and can't stop playing it. As a critical review, the reviewers have to review the game in their hands, not the game it potentially will be. As of now, the game in hand has lots of server issues, significant match affecting bugs, and not a lot of polish. Sucks cause I feel like the metacritic score is going to shine a negative light on the game for potential new players a few months from now when the game is all patched and running smooth. 

• Like 2

I agree ! Jason should not be easy to kill , he certainly wasn't in the movies right ? Jason is a supernatural POWERHOUSE of course if he gets his hands on you you will probably not service ,again just like in the movies . I for one am quite enjoy how the game is currently balanced . 

I haven't checked out any reviews yet myself, but that's disappointing to hear. This has been one of the most fun game releases I've experienced in a long time. I don't remember the last time I played a game for 10 hours straight.

Jason is not OP. Most of the time this comes from people that really haven't gotten a full grasp on the ins and outs of the game, and/or don't play with a full group of people working together. 

There are definitely bugs, no denying that. Server issues. Most major releases suffer from this kind of stuff the first few days though. Maybe not THIS bad, but this isn't a big name like EA or Blizzard. Our group definitely had it's issues, but we still manage to play game after game after game for hours on end when we get together.

Despite the backend DB issues, server timeouts and lag, I, personally, love the game.  It makes me wonder why it has taken so long to make a game like this, but I'm glad it got made, warts and all.

The issues will get ironed out and when they do, you can bet that other small development teams will take notice because it really is a very unique game!

• Like 1

I haven't experienced many game breaking glitches if I'm honest. The matchmaking is terrible, but the queue times aren't normally past 5 minutes at most. I play with about 6 friends and we have a very funny and enjoyable experience. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

To be honest, if I was to review the game critically over the last 3-4 days, I'd probably say it's a 6 out of 10 at best. And that's coming from someone who loves the game and can't stop playing it. As a critical review, the reviewers have to review the game in their hands, not the game it potentially will be. As of now, the game in hand has lots of server issues, significant match affecting bugs, and not a lot of polish. Sucks cause I feel like the metacritic score is going to shine a negative light on the game for potential new players a few months from now when the game is all patched and running smooth. 

That's fair. I'd give it a 7 myself. But the bugs really can be annoying when you're trying to enjoy the game or have to get something done in the heat of the moment.

Things like opening/closing doors - Once the counselors has stepped INSIDE the cabin and closes the door, the counselor should STAY IN the cabin. Not just pull the door shut, remaining outside. Door interactions need a bigger "window". I shouldn't have to stand in front of a door and refine EXACTLY where I'm looking in order to interact with it again. Not to mention holding the interact button seems not to work at times, and you'll end up opening a door again, rather than barricading it. Same goes for putting bear traps in front of doors...just let me place the damn thing where I want to. Sometimes you have to move away from the door as not to interact with the door accidentally. And I've seen a lot of people having trouble with the things I mentioned here.

Now, beyond that, yeah, a LOT of people simply don't "get" the game yet. Lone wolfing as a counselors is the dumbest thing you can do. If you don't have a pocket knife, a Jason grab = death. If you have an armed Counselor with you, it's easy to avoid that. He grabs, you hit him, he drops them, you run to the nearest cabin and safety. That should buy time for more counselors to come and back you up. But right now, the teamwork can be pretty horrendous.

When you get a group of smart Counselors like I did at one point yesterday, you can literally manage to Gas up / Install the battery in the car WHILE being attacked by Jason. Everyone takes turns stunning him, get in the car, and escape. Counselors WORKING TOGETHER can really be difficult for Jason to handle.

People also need to learn to put as many barriers between them and Jason as possible. Barricade and lock EVERY door, open all windows for quick escapes...etc.

Asymmetrical multiplayer is still a relatively new genre. It's a new experience for a lot of players. It's really cool when you start giving advice in-game "Everyone follow me! Stick together! Stun Jason if he grabs anyone!" and people start to "get it". It's a beautiful thing. Probably the aspect of the game I'm enjoying most. That and the amazing audio.  

• Like 1

Ignoring the bugs and glitches, and just looking at the gameplay itself, the levels, the characters etc, the game is easily a 10/10 for me. It's a blast to play, and even better as a F13 fan. The game is a love letter to the franchise.

• Like 2

luckily i dont give a flying fuck about reviews

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Now, beyond that, yeah, a LOT of people simply don't "get" the game yet. Lone wolfing as a counselors is the dumbest thing you can do. If you don't have a pocket knife, a Jason grab = death. If you have an armed Counselor with you, it's easy to avoid that. He grabs, you hit him, he drops them, you run to the nearest cabin and safety. 

Honestly, I have better luck surviving by myself usually as long as I have a high stealth character like AJ. You're right though, most people don't get it yet. That's what usually gets me killed is their loud ass running when they go in a cabin with me and don't realize they're basically telling Jason to come find us. Especially when it's a Vanessa player that just leaves me behind to die when Jason shows up to look for her noise beacon. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Honestly, I have better luck surviving by myself usually. You're right, most people don't get it yet, and that's what gets me killed is their loud ass running when they go in a cabin with me and don't realize they're basically telling Jason to come find us. Especially when it's a Vanessa player that just leaves me behind to die when Jason shows up to look for her noise beacon. 

As an AJ player, I know your struggle.

• Like 2

I think it was a huge mistake to make the default character Vanessa. She's terrible for stealth and when newbies try to hide and sneak away from trouble, they get destroyed because they're playing her. And of course newbies will run around like crazy and generate tons of noise, luring Jason right to them. Honestly Vanessa is cancer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pamela Voorhees said:

I think it was a huge mistake to make the default character Vanessa. She's terrible for stealth and when newbies try to hide and sneak away from trouble, they get destroyed because they're playing her. And of course newbies will run around like crazy and generate tons of noise, luring Jason right to them. Honestly Vanessa is cancer.

You'll enjoy this then, Mrs. Voorhees;

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SmokeMassTree said:

It should get a 0/10 for releasing broken.  

No excuses, no free passes. 

Dude ..Shit happens !  They didn't release it broken. Their Servers got overloaded. This happens to games on day one and anyone that assumed everything was going to work perfectly from day one is fooling themselves. The game is so fucken popular that they didn't anticipate that over 75,000 users would be logging on at once. Please don't trash the devs newbie. They have been working non stop to get the issues corrected.  This isn't EA or Ubisoft .  It's Gun Media and it's a kick ass game !

• Like 5

couldn't agree more with the "people just don't get it" statement.  I think the game is balance pretty dang good. Jason is by all means NOT over powered, (hell, I find it harder to be Jason than to be a counselor) Every character in this game has their upsides and down sides. But the reviews have been somewhat harsh for what I will call a pretty solid game (bugs excluding). Definitely one of the most addicting games I have ever played, its fun, intense, and hilarious. One of my favorite parts is just communicating with the other gamers I'm playing with. We all have had some great moments and comments while playing. This game was long over due.

• Like 1

It's an average game, based on a good concept. I say that as someone who waited to buy it for weeks and has enjoyed the time I have played, but to a casual gamer it must seem pretty weak compared to most titles out there. The graphics aren't great, there is hardly any content, maps being the most severely lacking in quantity, the sound is okay, the gameplay isn't very fluid, especially as a counsellor and there have been a multitude of technical hitches that still aren't resolved. To people who wait days to get online, run and hide only to be found immediately by Jason's sense ability lighting up the whole building red and have to watch for 15 minutes, only to get kicked for being "idle" after two, it's not exactly the best introductory experience.What kind of reviews were you expecting?

Edited by Sweedy
Typo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ryanmc564 said:

couldn't agree more with the "people just don't get it" statement.  I think the game is balance pretty dang good. Jason is by all means NOT over powered, (hell, I find it harder to be Jason than to be a counselor) Every character in this game has their upsides and down sides. But the reviews have been somewhat harsh for what I will call a pretty solid game (bugs excluding). Definitely one of the most addicting games I have ever played, its fun, intense, and hilarious. One of my favorite parts is just communicating with the other gamers I'm playing with. We all have had some great moments and comments while playing. This game was long over due.

Agree with you totally. And with the money that is being made from the game can you imagine the DLC that will be coming our way in the form of different Jason's , Maps , Weapons Ect .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

I have a lot of respect for you and Jpops because you two can be so impartial and honest instead of biased about the game even though you help run the forums. I agree with the rating you put out, and I'm sure it'll go up once issues are resolved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceceice said:

I think a lot of them are missing the strategic aspect of the game, such as fear, stealth, etc. I know to the general person that stuff isn't as in-your-face. They probably just started playing and didn't really understand the mechanisms of the entire game.

It is not so strategic right now, the game needs to be fixed, the stealth and fear mechanics are broken and confusing.

In the theory it sound very nice, but it dont works.

I hope the reviews will getting better after 1-2 patches

53 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Honestly, I have better luck surviving by myself usually as long as I have a high stealth character like AJ. You're right though, most people don't get it yet. That's what usually gets me killed is their loud ass running when they go in a cabin with me and don't realize they're basically telling Jason to come find us. Especially when it's a Vanessa player that just leaves me behind to die when Jason shows up to look for her noise beacon. 

I tell Vanessa's to leave me be if I'm trying to be stealthy. And when one led Jason to me, a few shots from a bat left her hurt and slow while I ran off to safety. 

And now getting on to topic. As far as my review? Myself and some pals play together with a rotating list of new "pals" we meet. We get annoyed when a great game gets dropped" but we all agree that when the game works it's a blast. Sure there are bugs to be ironed out (like the getting frozen when opening a cabinet) and a few changes should be made ( a tutorial explaining the mechanics of fear, etc) and maybe something implemented like Jason only getting Xp for a kill the first time he uses it (to cut down on those who hack you to death over and over, or use choke every grab) But on the whole, this game has dominated my weekend.

I'd recommend it to anybody interested with the caveat that they may want to wait for the launch issues to get ironed out. 

9 minutes ago, Arakos said:

It is not so strategic right now, the game needs to be fixed, the stealth and fear mechanics are broken and confusing.

In the theory it sound very nice, but it dont works.

I hope the reviews will getting better after 1-2 patches

Stealth and fear mechanics aren't broken, but I agree that they're confusing. Stealth is tied to the sound you make, the blips on the radar. High stealth characters make fewer and smaller blips than low stealth characters. Easy enough to understand. But composure (fear) is more confusing. It's tied to Jason's ability to sense you (see you in red on the map, in a house, etc.). Being in darkness raises your fear. Seeing dead bodies raises your fear. Seeing Jason raises your fear. Staying in well lit areas where generators are on lowers it. Avoiding dead bodies and Jason keeps it lowered. But it's not really shown to the player very well HOW scared they are. The stamina bar changes to slightly purplish the more scared you get, and eventually the HUD will disappear when you're terrified, but it's hard to gauge your fear inbetween.

The game needs a better tutorial to teach people these mechanics. Thankfully Kodiak posted a nice tip guide on these forums which should help some people, but that kind of comprehensive tutorial needs to be presented INGAME rather than on a website.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pamela Voorhees said:

Stealth and fear mechanics aren't broken, but I agree that they're confusing. Stealth is tied to the sound you make, the blips on the radar. High stealth characters make fewer and smaller blips than low stealth characters. Easy enough to understand. But composure (fear) is more confusing. It's tied to Jason's ability to sense you (see you in red on the map, in a house, etc.). Being in darkness raises your fear. Seeing dead bodies raises your fear. Seeing Jason raises your fear. Staying in well lit areas where generators are on lowers it. Avoiding dead bodies and Jason keeps it lowered. But it's not really shown to the player very well HOW scared they are. The stamina bar changes to slightly purplish the more scared you get, and eventually the HUD will disappear when you're terrified, but it's hard to gauge your fear inbetween.

The game needs a better tutorial to teach people these mechanics. Thankfully Kodiak posted a nice tip guide on these forums which should help some people, but that kind of comprehensive tutorial needs to be presented INGAME rather than on a website.

This.

I think some type of tutorial would go a long way to help out newer players that might be getting frustrated. I had to ask for a lot of this info in the lobby. Which personally I don't have a big problem with, but I understand how some people might. Nobody should HAVE to talk to others to learn multiple game-critical mechanics.

• Like 1