Nomadder

As Jason: Not Sure When You Can Use Which Grab Kills...

I've been struggling with one aspect when playing Jason.

Just for some background info, I played 10 or so matches in beta, and, since release, I generally do end with 0-2 survivors (I did have one crazy match where 5 survived, but a lot of bad mistakes were made in that one, haha). I'm loving the game and having a blast playing.

However, I'm often having a hard time (and not enjoying) what's going on when I grab counselors. I'm trying to execute a kill, and nothing is happening. I didn't understand what was causing that for a while, until another player told me that it is dependent on the counselor's stamina/health and possibly other attributes/perks. He said that, if they're not worn down, you have to use one of the earlier, or quicker, kills.

I'm not entirely sure which kills those would be, besides the choke.

As an example: with Jason Part 3, I removed the choke from my kills, and have it set up for head crush, neck twist, that punch through the chest, and the second weapon kill (head chop, I think).

Far, far, far too often, I grab a counselor and cannot execute any kills (no environmental kills nearby either).

So, what is the deal? Do I need to load in an easier/quicker kill and I'd be able to use it, no matter the counselor's condition? Does spamming different kills (because I tried one, and that didn't work, so now I am trying to choose another before they break out) totally mess up my chances of being able to execute a kill before they break out? Is timing a part of this at all?

I'm just having too many times when a counselor breaks out, without the use of a pocket knife, just because I wasn't able to do anything with them while I was holding them. 

As much as I'm loving this game, I have to say that I'm not enjoying this aspect so much. I don't recall ever encountering this in Beta - was it like this then?? 

I prefer to use as many different kills as I can within a match, as it just makes it more fun, for me and everyone playing/watching. For me, killing is an art form... style is important, hehe (I don't really like the choke kill so much). I'd hate to see the Jason player limited to the choke kill, due to game mechanics, instead of freeing us to use, and see, so many more of the awesome kills in the game. While I can understand some reasoning behind it, I feel like the only thing that accomplishes is making players just spam choke to kill counselors, instead of having more fun with a varied selection (if this is the case).

Anyway, maybe I'm missing something more, so I don't want to go off offering feedback about what I don't yet fully understand!

Anyone care to explain this a little and answer my questions about it?

yeah this pissed me off many times too.

the kills should be tired in groups from severity or coolness if you like so that you always have one of each

or any other solution for this......

I've noticed this and have been quite pissy about it. Thanks for bringing it up I'd like something done or an explanation.

1 hour ago, Nomadder said:

*Stuff* 

My advice is soften up the counselor with a few weapon swings and once they are injured, grab. It's a lot harder to escape without a pocket knife when injured.

• Like 1

i actually figured it out that you need to not be near objects like furniture when ever im outside killing someone its easier then breaking a window but inside i need to move into a postion thats open

Some kills require flat ground or a clear space in order to do the animation. From what I have noticed, when you grab someone walk to an open area with them and all your abilities will light up. For constricted areas try and have choke on your bar because you do not need very much space for that. I have gone into some private matches with a friend and tested this. From what I have noticed, how bad they are hurt does not make a difference, only the ground around you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dadpool said:

. From what I have noticed, how bad they are hurt does not make a difference, only the ground around you. 

Your escape bar fills up faster when uninjured.

I've kicked out five times in one match against a Jason who didn't hurt me first. Once I'm half dead, I seldom kick out. 

38 minutes ago, FlameRiderSD said:

i actually figured it out that you need to not be near objects like furniture when ever im outside killing someone its easier then breaking a window but inside i need to move into a postion thats open

36 minutes ago, Dadpool said:

Some kills require flat ground or a clear space in order to do the animation. From what I have noticed, when you grab someone walk to an open area with them and all your abilities will light up. For constricted areas try and have choke on your bar because you do not need very much space for that. I have gone into some private matches with a friend and tested this. From what I have noticed, how bad they are hurt does not make a difference, only the ground around you. 

6 minutes ago, thetrickyshow said:

You need to be on flat ground for the animations to come up.

Yes, I was just playing some matches, and other players were saying this same thing. Sure enough, I was Jason shortly afterward and kept that in mind and did not have a single counselor break out of my grasp (without pocketknives).

That alleviates my concerns a great deal. We'll see as we keep playing, but maybe it was just that this whole time.

41 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

My advice is soften up the counselor with a few weapon swings and once they are injured, grab. It's a lot harder to escape without a pocket knife when injured.

Yeah, this is what others had told me, so I started doing more of it. However, in my last sessions, I seemed to be able to grab a few early, untouched and energetic counselors, and executed my grab kills successfully - just I had more space.

Still, getting some swings in is always a good idea and does hurt their chances.

Thanks for all of the replies! :) 

Maybe it's not as bad as we thought. Still, need to figure out what needs what and how to best make sure we don't stand around awkwardly while we're holding a squirming victim... :D 

Honestly, I wish we could have more than 4 kills loaded! Let's use them Function Keys, or something, for more possible kills! :)

• Like 1

well the reason isnt damage its because injured counselers have fear, fear directly effects how fast you break from a grab thats why chad is so bad to get out of grabs