wes

UPDATE #2 - Databases Errors, Profile Saves and Missing XP

43 posts in this topic

F13 UPDATE - Monday, May 29th, 5 pm EST

OK, we made some big strides late last night and into the morning. We found several issues that were causing the database errors, missing XP, infinite saving while customizing characters, and perks not saving or appearing properly. Our number one focus was getting players past the database login error screen. Once we got to around 50K concurrent players, the database would not scale properly. We shut down all servers this morning to migrate the database to a larger cluster to help with scaling. Once we started servers back up, we could support 90K concurrent players. That’s good! 

However, we are aware of the following issues that persist. 

• Login Database Error - Can’t sign in
  • XP not saving or lost XP
  • Infinite “saving” when customizing counselor, Jason, equipping kills, etc.
  • Perks not saving or not appearing properly once “saved”.
  • Can’t use Quick Play on XB1

What’s going on?

After 10 hours of digging around in the database, we discovered a few things. Right now we are pushing too much data across our database. Your player profile save data is too big, especially if you’re a higher level with lots of unlocks/perks/etc. It works just fine when there are only 30-40K players. Once that number grows, the database starts lagging. This lag is what keeps some players out AND causes all the weird XP, saving issues outlined above. In addition, we still need to scale to meet the demand which we’ve had a phase 2 of the database upgrade planned that we are working on today.

The Quick Play issue with XB1 requires a patch to fix. Meaning we can’t fix this “live” on our end. This requires our partner to help. 

OK, how do you fix this?

We have made some good optimizations for retrieving and storing the player profile. We have cut down the calls made to retrieving and saving happen a bunch less. In addition, we have cut down the amount of data that is being saved to the database.

Cool, when do we get these fixes?

Steam users will get a patch late tonight or early tomorrow. PSN users will get this patch tomorrow. XB1 will probably be Wednesday. This isn’t because of favoritism, it’s simply how patches/hot fixes get rolled out. There is no certification process on Steam. Once we have a fix, we click a button, it goes live in 30 mins. PS and XB both have a rapid patch system, but they need to be certified by both PS/XB and this will take time due to today being a US holiday. 

10 people like this

Thanks for the update guys! Any info on randomly losing button function mid match? Usually after opening a drawer all i can do is walk or crouch.

dont forget The Savini Skin and Counselor Clothing Packs still not being available on PS4 @wes

1 person likes this

Just now, IH8YH said:

dont forget The Savini Skin and Counselor Clothing Packs still not being available on PS4 @wes

Have not forgotten! Just fighting the biggest fires first. 

4 people like this

Sounds good thank you so much for the update

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Jason's Whetstone said:

Thanks for the update guys! Any info on randomly losing button function mid match? Usually after opening a drawer all i can do is walk or crouch.

Hmm..This sounds like a lag spike. What platform do you play on?

Just now, wes said:

Hmm..This sounds like a lag spike. What platform do you play on?

XB 1. Only happened twice in about 10 games Ive played. Opened a drawer and lose all function except for walking and crouching. I survived though!!!!

Without the bugs and server issues, playing your game is honestly the most fun I've had playing a game in a while. Thanks for the constant updates, we'll all try to stay patient for you. :D

5 people like this

Just now, Jason's Whetstone said:

XB 1. Only happened twice in about 10 games Ive played. Opened a drawer and lose all function except for walking and crouching. I survived though!!!!

Yes, we've seen this too on XB1. Our day one patch will fix this in most cases. However, if lag is severe there will still be the odd occurrence. 

5 minutes ago, wes said:

I bet you'd rather be playing the game than fighting fires 24/7. LOL

2 people like this

Just now, wes said:

Yes, we've seen this too on XB1. Our day one patch will fix this in most cases. However, if lag is severe there will still be the odd occurrence. 

Yeah i figured once the patch drops, no worries. Your game is very unique and I have a great time winning or losing, thank you for that!

This weekend is also a British holiday weekend as well. As Sony Europe Headquarters are in London, probably hasn't helped matters. 

Just now, Splatterhouse said:

This weekend is also a British holiday weekend as well. As Sony Europe Headquarters are in London, probably hasn't helped matters. 

THIS

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, EarRape said:

Without the bugs and server issues, playing your game is honestly the most fun I've had playing a game in a while. Thanks for the constant updates, we'll all try to stay patient for you. :D

2 minutes ago, Jason's Whetstone said:

Yeah i figured once the patch drops, no worries. Your game is very unique and I have a great time winning or losing, thank you for that!

Totally agree. Thanks for all the updates and hard work guys, it is much appreciated! I most commend the few minutes you take to give the community detailed breakdowns of what is happening, why, and how you are working to resolve it. Never have seen this level of transparency and it's great.

I know a lot of people live in their own little bubble, don't appreciate the hard work you guys are doing and the enormity of the task, and act like you are just sitting on your hands doing nothing. But the patient majority know this isn't the case. Keep it up and you'll get it running smoothly. Thanks again for all you guys are doing and sacrificing to get your passion project to where it should be now that it is live :)

6 people like this

1 minute ago, Smartz1 said:

Totally agree. Thanks for all the updates and hard work guys, it is much appreciated! I most commend the few minutes you take to give the community detailed breakdowns of what is happening, why, and how you are working to resolve it. Never have seen this level of transparency and it's great.

I know a lot of people live in their own little bubble, don't appreciate the hard work you guys are doing and the enormity of the task, and act like you are just sitting on your hands doing nothing. But the patient majority know this isn't the case. Keep it up and you'll get it running smoothly. Thanks again for all you guys are doing and sacrificing to get your passion project to where it should be now that it is live :)

Thanks for the kind words! Keeps us charged through the loooooong hours. :)

4 people like this

16 minutes ago, wes said:

can we get the codes for the dynamic theme as a "sorry for the delay"-Thanks ?! i mean us backers financed the game and we dont get to enjoy the free theme that is bundled when you buy it now.....

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, IH8YH said:

can we get the codes for the dynamic theme as a "sorry for the delay"-Thanks ?! i mean us backers financed the game and we dont get to enjoy the free theme that is bundled when you buy it now.....

I thought it automatically downloaded the bundle, even when you used a backer code (as I did). I can't be 100% sure as I got the theme during the tiny window that it was accidentally up on PSN, LOL. Been rocking it for a month or so now :)

Again thanks for keeping gamers up to date with what's going on.

It's appreciated and encouraging.

On XBox ONE in the UK the Quickplay was working for a bit this morning and had some absolutely fantastic games.

Even my wife stopped what she was doing to just sit and watch me play this...

And then mock me for many an ignominious death...

Stopped working again in the afternoon, in line with your reboot but the game is fantastic when it works.

Looking forward to the patch.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for the update!  I'm loving the game, so any progress is good progress.

Quick question though:  I earned several badges for matches that aren't showing on my profile... some are for sure, but others are gone.  However, it's showing my XP/level, though lower than it was at one point, so I'm wondering if there is just lost progress.

Do you anticipate a fix that is going to restore everything that should be there?  Or should I expect some stuff is probably just gone?  My biggest badge concern was the one I earned for killing all the counselors in a match as Jason.  Since I have only managed to play Jason twice and counselors are getting much better, I don't expect to be able to have many opportunities to repeat that accomplishment... thanks for the info, hoping things keep improving!

Also, I'm on Steam/PC if that helps.

EDIT:  Just looked at Steam Achievements also... those are CLEARLY broken, there are several I should have by now that have not triggered:

• He's Back - Get killed by Jason.
  • Aye Aye Captain - Escape in the boat as the driver.
  • Friday Driver - Escape in the car as the driver.
  • Doomed, you're all doomed! - Kill all 7 counselors in a single match.
  • First Blood - Kill 1 counselor.
  • It's Friday the 13th - Play 1 multiplayer match as Jason.
  • Summercamp - Play 1 multiplayer match as a counselor.

and one that I shouldn't have at all (Super Fan - Play a multiplayer match as each one of the counselors) for the simple fact I don't have them all unlocked.  Need those addressed too...

Edited by The.Dark.God
Adding platform played, steam achievements info

Will you be fulfilling physical copy pre orders before putting the game in shops?

1 person likes this

WES you guys did a great Job and still doing it!

It is a really really nice Game with a really really Cheap price!! What do we want more as Gamers? Any cent (or Franks in switzerland^^) was worth it and i regret nothing.

And i also never tought, that there will be so many players in this Game, when im looking at some similar games.

And we all or atleast the most of us are still loving this Game and i want to thank you for your hard work!

I have no problem to wait longer for playing this Game, cause i know im waiting for something awesome!

Keep it up!

And Guys pls dont get to stressed. Healthy comes at first in Life^^

Greets Akki

1 person likes this

Wes.....Ive been severely critical of you guys lately. I still have feelings about certain other issues but I have to say this......the game is so much fun. You guys put out an insanely fun and unique experience. The people I play with are also saying the same thing. Bugs and, at the end of the day its simply so. Much. Fun. 

Thanks for the constant updates, having worked with database issues myself (on a fraction of the scale no less) I have nothing but sympathy and respect for you guys right now.

Some people need to understand that this works a lot like a hospital triage after a big accident. Some people have cuts and bruises = low priority, some people have broken bones = mid priority, internal bleeding and brain swelling = high priority. 

I Imagine that Gun/Illfonic want everyone that paid to be able to play. Then when everyone is playing, they would probably need to make sure that they are having a smooth time joining and playing matches with the least amount of errors and bugs. Then I imagine perks and xp issues, along with dlc being a little behind. 

For instance, Im still waiting for a working code for Savini Jason and councilor clothing pack for PS4. Id rather everyone being able to play before I get those codes, because that is the greater good for everyone. 

5 people like this

12 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Thanks for the constant updates, having worked with database issues myself (on a fraction of the scale no less) I have nothing but sympathy and respect for you guys right now.

Some people need to understand that this works a lot like a hospital triage after a big accident. Some people have cuts and bruises = low priority, some people have broken bones = mid priority, internal bleeding and brain swelling = high priority. 

I Imagine that Gun/Illfonic want everyone that paid to be able to play. Then when everyone is playing, they would probably need to make sure that they are having a smooth time joining and playing matches with the least amount of errors and bugs. Then I imagine perks and xp issues, along with dlc being a little behind. 

For instance, Im still waiting for a working code for Savini Jason and councilor clothing pack for PS4. Id rather everyone being able to play before I get those codes, because that is the greater good for everyone. 

Good analogy. :) I'd like your post but my likes seem to be disabled or I'm forever out.

Hoping the Quick Play matchmaking for PS4 gets settled soon.  Can't get into a game.  Not really wanting to bother coordinating a private group either.

I'm patient though, so I can allow myself to wait.