wes

A Bumpy Start - A Detailed Explanation of Server/Database Errors, DLC and More

12 hours ago, wes said:

As for why we didn't look to a "big publisher" - We met with every single one of them 2 years ago. None were interested. They either didn't believe in the concept or had their mind made up that film IP doesn't equate to good games. We did meet with one that was somewhat interested. But they were far from "big".  

I do agree with this.

The bigger organisations haven't got a clue what gamers want. They wouldn't know a "good concept" if it smacked them in the face. Hence why there is so much crap out on the shelves. 

1 hour ago, Brigadius said:

They say they thought they were prepared but I honestly don't think they thought anything through all the way. Besides the servers, codes, and bugs issues they have completely neglected to forums. If they were prepared they would have created proper sub-forums for bugs, glitches, and technical issues for each platform before launch. 

We here have been telling them that and voicing that issue for a while with no answer. Now the main section of this forum has been overrun with hundreds of the same post making difficult to even use or find what you're looking for. And it's probably killing Jpops having to deal with this almost all in his on. I don't know what world they live in where they think forums are a thing of the past, must be the same world where streamers are the press of the future, but for years when I have an issue I go to the games official forum. Because, that's where I expect to find answers. 

It's almost a joke how much they ignore this forum. They pop in once in awhile drop a post and leave. They still haven't created a proper section for all these issues and it has been days. It's not rocket science, it would take less than 5 minutes but I guess that's too much time for them to spend here. Heaven forbid they ever listen to the people who funded and believed in them. It just another slap in the face to the supporters. In the span of a day they let the only place for real game discussions to be set on fire. 

OH, and still waiting on the explanation about letting streamers kill Jason before launch. Honestly I don't think you can say anything to reason this away. Playing dumb and saying sorry we didn't know will only work so many times. 

This.

It speaks volumes when the official forum is not even had any attention since beta by the looks of it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Trying adding these in the Customization menu from the Start Screen, not while in a game lobby.  Worked for me.

I tried this, didn't work there. Unless it's fixed now. Had to join my friend's game to get out of the menu with the Jasons.

14 hours ago, wes said:

I think you might be confusing 30K concurrent players with 30K units sold. HUGE difference. We prepped for 30K concurrent players. Which means every second, of every day, 24/7, our database can support 30K players.

90K twitter followers does not equate sales. The conversion rate on social platforms to actual paying customers are fractions of percents. 

The conversion rate from a twitch viewer to a paying customer hovers around 2%, given the streamer holds an audience of roughly 2K viewers. Meaning of 2K viewers, about 2% or 40 customers give or take, will purchase the title. 

And we didn't have one of the most hyped indie releases in history. We did have momentum, that is for sure. But looking at one month's worth of PC pre-orders, we made the best calculations we could. 

As for why we didn't look to a "big publisher" - We met with every single one of them 2 years ago. None were interested. They either didn't believe in the concept or had their mind made up that film IP doesn't equate to good games. We did meet with one that was somewhat interested. But they were far from "big".  

Maybe it was best that big companies were not interested. Just look what EA did to the Star Wars franchise with their Battlefront games...

Having that said, hope things get fixed soon. I just didn't have enough time yet to learn this game properly...

2 hours ago, horrorfangirl said:

I do agree with this.

The bigger organisations haven't got a clue what gamers want. They wouldn't know a "good concept" if it smacked them in the face. Hence why there is so much crap out on the shelves. 

also it was said right from the beginning if i remember corretly that some publisher wanted to tone down the violence to make the game more accesible to a younger audience in order to boost sales EVEN BEFORE THEY WOULD CONSIDER aquiriing the title! and the devs didnt want that, they wanted the full uncut raw F13 experience for the fans of the franchise.

• Like 1

Hello i played Yesterday on my PS4 with my Account "ROSO_1977" a Game. But i have not recieved Coins afte a Match. Whay? Is there Problemes?

44 minutes ago, IH8YH said:

also it was said right from the beginning if i remember corretly that some publisher wanted to tone down the violence to make the game more accesible to a younger audience in order to boost sales EVEN BEFORE THEY WOULD CONSIDER aquiriing the title! and the devs didnt want that, they wanted the full uncut raw F13 experience for the fans of the franchise.

I agree with this also!

Wouldn't be much point otherwise. 

• Like 1

i kid friendly game where u run around murdering people... yeah thats a great idea.  all these people with their feelings on the sleeve for everyone to see need to piss off.  im glad this game didnt get picked up by a "big" game publisher who knows what kind of stuff would have been forced in it.. jason kills everyone and stands in front of the camera doing a dab.. FFS please for the love of god.  classic horror is what 70s-80s generation want.. loved what i got to play of the game yesterday. cant wait to get back in it.. take your time guys get the servers 100% before launching them back up.. no need for another overload. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wes said:

It doesn't work like that. Shutting everything down doesn't really fix the problem. We can work on the database while still live. No use in kicking the 50K+ players online right now.

thank you for proving me correct today and shutting down all the servers.

m6ejm.jpg

1 hour ago, IH8YH said:

Many movie/game tie-ins are almost always horrible. As it's often a money grab, often made by teams of hundreds/thousands of people with big publishers who are not particularly fans of, or understand the source material. "RoboCop", "Superman 64", Aliens: Colonial Marines", to name just a few - you can even go back to games like "The Terminator" or "Predator 2" on the NES or Genesis/Megadrive. All very poor games, and there are scores of others.

This game has passion written all over it. I can't think of hardly any instances over the last few days where people have been slating the actual game itself yet. Only these server problems, and the occasional gripe about the bugs. Even many of those that have spoken of low content in the game have still said they are enjoying it. As far as low content goes - single player comes in late Summer for everyone who purchases the game - and the developers have repeatedly stated they want to add as much content as possible after release to make this the most complete Friday the 13th experience it can be. 

The future's bright folks, the future's Hockey Mask white! ;)       

36 minutes ago, derrickkolba said:

thank you for proving me correct today and shutting down all the servers.

If that doesn't work just give it a couple whacks on the top. 

I really hope that this gets fixed today.  I'm a super patient guy, but this is really an unacceptable shit show.  I was able to play a single match in the first day, then I got the database login issue and couldn't log in at all with my account (I'm on Xbox One).  I came here and found out about doing the guest account work around, but that didn't allow me to gain any XP, so all of the work I did was for nothing and now I'm still sitting with just the starting characters/perks.  Which sucks.  I couldn't find a single random lobby all weekend and none of my friends play this game, so I was at the whim of getting random people here to invite me.  I finally got to play about 4 matches yesterday morning.  But then, yesterday, my guest account work around stopped working too and I got the database login issue with that one also.  This morning, I tried creating a whole new Xbox account just to play only to find out that the servers are down.  If it's not all worked out when the servers come up, I'm about ready to call it quits with this game altogether.  I've played about 5 matches in four days, despite trying for hours and hours and hours.  I hope that Gun Media recognizes how badly they dropped the ball and do something to make it up for us.  Especially those who were backers of the game. 

8 hours ago, IH8YH said:

THIS.

wanna know the only two games i remember having GOOD online launches?! 

I am playing computer/videogames since 1984 and the only games i can remember that had good launches were QUAKE 2 and HALF-LIFE/COUNTERSTRIKE when it was an alpha/beta. and you wanna know those are the only two ones?! BECAUSE IT DIDNT HAVE TO DO WITH THE INTERNET. Servers were hosted on local computers, the most amount of players that connected to those were 20 or so. you had to screw fucking terminator onto your T-Connectors if you were at the end of the network line. 

EVERY other game that came after and was an Online game or Had at least a healthy online compitnent had some more or less severe issues at launch

so to the fucking whiners, shut the fuck up and be patient. give it a few days or even 2 weeks and THEN you can start complaining.

Battlefield 4, a MASSIVE IP, had it's first six months destroyed by trainwreck online problems. It made the game virtually unplayable.

In the time afterward, DICE tuned it up to become one of the finest online FPS in video game history.

Everyone is subject to launch disasters for one reason or another.

5 hours ago, IH8YH said:

I remember that too. Might as well tacked on the cast of Sesame Street to boost sales as well.

Gaming industry is like any other, bottom line is money and profits, but it's good to see that authentic games can still be made without completely selling out or completely dumbing them down (Star Wars: Battlefront, anyone?).

3 hours ago, Splatterhouse said:

Many movie/game tie-ins are almost always horrible. As it's often a money grab, often made by teams of hundreds/thousands of people with big publishers who are not particularly fans of, or understand the source material. "RoboCop", "Superman 64", Aliens: Colonial Marines", to name just a few - you can even go back to games like "The Terminator" or "Predator 2" on the NES or Genesis/Megadrive. All very poor games, and there are scores of others.

This game has passion written all over it. I can't think of hardly any instances over the last few days where people have been slating the actual game itself yet. Only these server problems, and the occasional gripe about the bugs. Even many of those that have spoken of low content in the game have still said they are enjoying it. As far as low content goes - single player comes in late Summer for everyone who purchases the game - and the developers have repeatedly stated they want to add as much content as possible after release to make this the most complete Friday the 13th experience it can be. 

The future's bright folks, the future's Hockey Mask white! ;)       

Great post. I agree. This game will be special once it gets going. As for other movie games...

The Warriors for PS2 is hands-down the best movie adaption. Many believe because it's more fleshed out than the movie, that it's actually better than the film! My second favorite game of all-time. Legendary.

Terminator for PS3 wasn't all bad!

Rambo for NES and Genesis was fun as hell. The PS3 game was silly.

Robin Hood (Costner version) for the NES was good.

Really enjoyed both PS3 SAW games, especially the first one. Very intense, suspenseful, and griping.

Didn't mind the Back to the Future Telltale game either. Pretty good.

So, some gems do exist. Really comes down to the devs love of the source material, I would reckon.

2 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Great post. I agree. This game will be special once it gets going. As for other movie games...

The Warriors for PS2 is hands-down the best movie adaption. Many believe because it's more fleshed out than the movie, that it's actually better than the film! My second favorite game of all-time. Legendary.

Terminator for PS3 wasn't all bad!

Rambo for NES and Genesis was fun as hell. The PS3 game was silly.

Robin Hood (Costner version) for the NES was good.

Really enjoyed both PS3 SAW games, especially the first one. Very intense, suspenseful, and griping.

Didn't mind the Back to the Future Telltale game either. Pretty good.

So, some gems do exist. Really comes down to the devs love of the source material, I would reckon.

I need to check out "The Warriors"...I'm a fan of the movie and a huge Rockstar fan. I was driving, shooting, generally misbehaving and having the time of my life with the first 2D GTA back in 1997! :) But for some reason, "The Warriors" has always eluded me. Will have to track it down on PSN store sometime in the future, when my time isn't completely devoted to this game. :)

@wes

First of all: Thank you for your work that you've put into the servers! You really care about your game and you should ignore all these hatin fags out there who are telling you how you have to do your job.

I have some questions here:

- The progress that haven't been saved will be lost? I played like 12 hours yesterday and didn't get any experience for that (Not a big problem to me, but IF you can do something pls let me now).

- After you fixed all that "critical" stuff, are you going to improve the thing that will you let stuck in several obstacles for example?

After all those things that happened in the last days I can only say that you've made a really good game that needs some fine tuning here and there. Keep the good work up guys - if you have a bad day caused by these ragin' kiddos - always remember that there are many fans who are supporting you and your game!

Greetings

True about Battlefield. I didn't play it at launch but I remember the crying about it seemed to last forever. Some of my personal faves:

Age of Conan: Very few people could connect for the first week. Those that did were constantly experiencing game breaking glitches or just random all the time CTD's. Add to the fact that the game was only really polished 1-20 and 20-80 felt like a completely different game presentation wise, end-game was totally broken for the first 6 months to a year, and the fact that Funcom tried to downplay how many people were actually experiencing shitty game play, and it was a shit-storm that caused the game to go from around a million subs at launch to 200k by the six month mark. Not good.  

Darkfall: Launch was such a disaster that people couldn't even download the client, let alone actually connect and play. Small greek company tho.

WoW Warlords of Draenor: Not sure how long it took them to actually iron this one out. When I first tried to log in it quoted me a 17 hour queue time. A week later, still was quoting 5 hours. I put it on the shelf for about a month or so and came back and it was good.

Diablo 3: Thousands could not connect due to the dreaded Error 37 bug. Along with other errors and issues, things weren't rolling smoothly for about a week. It did spawn one of my favorite nerd rage videos of all time tho

The two good launches I remember were Fallen Earth and STO. But both of those are very very niche titles. My guess is that most of the people playing live were just the same people playing in alpha and beta, so the servers didn't see the significant upswing there usually is. 

I don't usually play multi-player games outside of MMO's, so I can't really comment on those from personal experience. But having subs to Playstation magazine, PC Gamer, and having friends that are big time into MP FPS games, they always have a ton of issues the first week or so and then they tend to level out.

That's why if it is something other than a single-player game, I assume the first couple weeks will be a paid stress test of the servers and I assume I'll be able to play little if at all. It's why I would never schedule time off work or any other silly things like that. Cause you can just wait and schedule that time off 2 weeks later and actually spend it binging on the game. Things will level out and people will forget the "Lean Times". If you temper your expectations you are much less likely to be disappointed, frustrated, and feel like old Frances up there, lol.

• Like 1

Raging kiddo? I am 36 yeaes old and i am pissed bc i bought a broken product for 40€ and i still can not log in bc of the database stuff...as a customer i have every right to be pissed...i just want a fixed product or a money refund. As easy as it gets...

Just now, BunterJung said:

Raging kiddo? I am 36 yeaes old and i am pissed bc i bought a broken product for 40€ and i still can not log in bc of the database stuff...as a customer i have every right to be pissed...i just want a fixed product or a money refund. As easy as it gets...

Then go and refund your stuff... That's easy isn't it? If you are one of those people who are always yellin at the Devs that they need to hurry up, then you shouldn't wait and just refund the game.

I saw that you get a lot of heat from the unhappy players and just had to make an account to show some support. This is a game that many of us have waited since the eighties so few glitchy days dont mean nothing. I am happy that you didnt have to compromise and did this hommage the right way. Keep up the good work. It is exciting to see what you can do with this game in the future. We are with you up here in Finland!

Did the patch ever roll out? I have Xbox and never saw the game download the update

11 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

I need to check out "The Warriors"...I'm a fan of the movie and a huge Rockstar fan. I was driving, shooting, generally misbehaving and having the time of my life with the first 2D GTA back in 1997! :) But for some reason, "The Warriors" has always eluded me. Will have to track it down on PSN store sometime in the future, when my time isn't completely devoted to this game. :)

The game sinks you into the lore of The Warriora better than the film does. It also has events prior to the beginning of the movie and a little afterward.

Tons of officially licensed music and cast member voices. The dev team assembled at Rockstar specifically selected to do a Warriors game because they all were such fans of the movie. It is a true love letter to the film, even the beefy original instruction manual that came with the game.

That's why I backed this game from day one. Felt to me like another love letter to a movie franchise I love dearly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BunterJung said:

Typical. Yeah, you have every right to be pissed. Just keep telling yourself that. Keep using the elitist customer mind set.

Age doesn't equal maturity or reasonableness. I've met 14 year olds who were more mature than 40 year olds. 

Again, it's all about having appropriate expectations. If you buy a MP game expect it not to work for the first week. If you can't handle that, stick to single player games. If you want a refund go get it. Don't waste your time raging on the forums. Easy as it gets.

7 minutes ago, Smartz1 said:

True about Battlefield. I didn't play it at launch but I remember the crying about it seemed to last forever. Some of my personal faves:

Age of Conan: Very few people could connect for the first week. Those that did were constantly experiencing game breaking glitches or just random all the time CTD's. Add to the fact that the game was only really polished 1-20 and 20-80 felt like a completely different game presentation wise, end-game was totally broken for the first 6 months to a year, and the fact that Funcom tried to downplay how many people were actually experiencing shitty game play, and it was a shit-storm that caused the game to go from around a million subs at launch to 200k by the six month mark. Not good.  

Darkfall: Launch was such a disaster that people couldn't even download the client, let alone actually connect and play. Small greek company tho.

WoW Warlords of Draenor: Not sure how long it took them to actually iron this one out. When I first tried to log in it quoted me a 17 hour queue time. A week later, still was quoting 5 hours. I put it on the shelf for about a month or so and came back and it was good.

Diablo 3: Thousands could not connect due to the dreaded Error 37 bug. Along with other errors and issues, things weren't rolling smoothly for about a week. It did spawn one of my favorite nerd rage videos of all time tho

The two good launches I remember were Fallen Earth and STO. But both of those are very very niche titles. My guess is that most of the people playing live were just the same people playing in alpha and beta, so the servers didn't see the significant upswing there usually is. 

I don't usually play multi-player games outside of MMO's, so I can't really comment on those from personal experience. But having subs to Playstation magazine, PC Gamer, and having friends that are big time into MP FPS games, they always have a ton of issues the first week or so and then they tend to level out.

That's why if it is something other than a single-player game, I assume the first couple weeks will be a paid stress test of the servers and I assume I'll be able to play little if at all. It's why I would never schedule time off work or any other silly things like that. Cause you can just wait and schedule that time off 2 weeks later and actually spend it binging on the game. Things will level out and people will forget the "Lean Times". If you temper your expectations you are much less likely to be disappointed, frustrated, and feel like old Frances up there, lol.

I remember when the Star Wars MMO went live some ten years ago and I couldn't connect for days, and that was through Sony Online, who was one of the biggest 'mainstream' developers of that era