(Cross posted to OBS forums)

So I unlocked the game on Steam, decided to Stream it for a bit, but OBS couldn't hook into the game at all using the Game Capture option.  I had to use Display Capture, instead, which captured my Taskbar while I was tabbed out to make sure everything was working properly (so unprofessional on me...heh).

Anyone know how to fix this and get it working properly?

Edit: I should mention, OBS 64 bit, running as Admin.

Edited by WhiteWolf

Mine is working just fine with game capture so it looks like it's a problem on your end. Make sure you right click on your game capture under sources, click properties, ensure mode is set to capture specific window and set the window to summercamp.exe.

Some people try using "capture any fullscreen application" and obs freaks out if you are in windowless or borderless window mode. If that doesn't work try using the 32 bit version of obs. It may sound unconventional on a 64 bit operating system but it fixes many of the strange problems with obs.

Edit: Sometimes with obs you have to reapply the executable of your game after you have exited obs so before you launch your stream or try to capture footage be sure to check the properties of your game capture and choose the executable again after you start the game.

OBS 64 bit, set a new Game Capture, specific window, [SummerCamp.exe]: SummerCamp - (bunch of alpha numeric, not sure if it's specific to my account or something)
Set F13 to Fullscreen (I typically use Fullscreen Windowed for my games)

Window Title must Match, Capture Cursor is off, Anti-Cheat hook is ON, Third Party Overlays is off.  Black screen in preview.

Closed F13, reopened.  Black screen.  Closed F13 and OBS64, reopened OBS64, reopened F13.  Black screen.
Closed F13, closed OBS64.  Opened OBS32, Opened F13.  Black screen :\

Changed "Window Title must Match" to "Match Title, otherwise find first window of same executable"
OBS64: Black screen.
OBS32: Black screen.

Have you tried any other games using the same display source? Launch another game and swap the executable of the game capture source you have currently set up to confirm this game is the problem.

After that click help>log files>view current log and scroll to the bottom to see what it says. It should look something like this:

21:43:24.693: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:43:24.695: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:43:27.726: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:43:27.743: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] d3d11 shared texture capture successful
21:43:27.760: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] shared texture capture successful
21:44:31.426: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] capture window no longer exists, terminating capture
21:44:31.428: [game-capture: 'Game Capture 1'] capture stopped

If there are any variations or errors they should be pretty straightforward but if any of it doesn't make sense feel free to contact obs support or pm me and we will figure it out. The only thing that most likely wouldn't flag as an error in the logs is if you are trying to run a different monitor/game resolution simultaneously.

Attempted to hook F13, failed.  Closed F13, opened Thumper, switched the EXE in the F13 source, captured immediately.

21:38:48.416: ------------------------------------------------
21:39:40.147: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:40.152: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:40.162: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:39:43.179: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:43.182: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:46.211: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:46.213: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:46.214: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:39:49.244: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:49.246: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:52.279: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:52.280: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:52.282: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:39:55.312: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:55.314: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:58.345: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:39:58.347: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:39:58.349: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:40:02.078: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:40:02.080: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:40:04.411: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:40:04.414: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:40:04.416: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:40:07.444: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:40:07.447: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:40:10.479: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:40:10.481: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:40:10.482: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:40:13.512: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: SummerCamp.exe
21:40:13.514: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:50:51.824: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: THUMPER.exe
21:50:51.826: [game-capture: 'F13'] using helper (compatibility hook)
21:50:51.827: [game-capture: 'F13'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
21:50:53.858: [game-capture: 'F13'] attempting to hook process: THUMPER.exe
21:50:55.578: [game-capture: 'F13'] d3d11 shared texture capture successful
21:50:55.592: [game-capture: 'F13'] shared texture capture successful
21:51:09.824: [game-capture: 'F13'] capture window no longer exists, terminating capture
21:51:09.825: [game-capture: 'F13'] capture stopped

Oddly enough, Paladins wouldn't hook either, but I forgot that's a dual layer game, Lobby and Match.  Crypt of the Necrodancer popped right up, though.

Do you use crossfire/SLI by chance? And if so what is the gpu?

Also, can you go back to help>Log files>upload last log files and share the link with me so I can see all of it for today?

I have been messing with obs while waiting for your reply and I was able to break it and get a black screen like you have. While I review this log and look for a secondary cause please go back to your game capture properties and ensure the anti-cheat compatibility hook is enabled. It appears to be required.

I'm no expert at analyzing obs logs by any means but I can tell you right now that your cpu is awful and should be upgraded asap especially if you are streaming with that rig. I imagine your machine is working pretty dang hard to keep up with many processes running at once. That is one possible cause.

The only other workaround I can think of off the top of my head (if this is the old bug from like 3 years ago) is to create a new scene, launch the game, go back to obs, add the game capture with capture specific window/window match priority executable name/select the .exe, and then go into your settings>hotkeys and assign a key to start and stop recording. You will probably still see a black screen in the preview but when you tab back into the game it should still record the footage.

There are a million other fixes online but I couldn't find one that seemed relevant to your situation unless you are trying to run more than 1 piece of recording software at once like fraps or plays.tv. 

Sorry if I wasn't much help, this would be a lot easier to diagnose if I could actually see your machine. I know that obs support takes days or even weeks to respond so I figured I would try and lend a hand.

Edit: Forgot, I didn't see your OBS version in there so make sure you are using obs studio and not obs classic. I know that classic used to have problems with Paladins so i'm curious if you are using that version and it is reflecting on f13 as well.

OBS Studio, yes.  And I have a dual monitor setup, with OBS on the second monitor during scene setup and prep, then my Twitch page while actually streaming, so I can keep up with chat.  And I use a hotkey setup to start and stop already.

I'll try that new scene workaround a try and respond back.