wes

Early Access to Press/Streamers

5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

This sums up the general sentiment well. Not only that but wes indirectly blames the backers themselves for "overwhelming request to allow for backers to pre-load the game" - apparently their lack of organisation is everyone else's fault (the backers for wanting pre-load, Steam for the system not being the perfect system, 'the industry' for requiring 'content-creators' to have special access.

Just a total unorganized mess that everyone sees right through. Kudos, though at the lowest level, for at least entertaining the discussion at all. Though it's a little late now to take 'responsibility'.

That is NOT the general sentiment. The vast majority of people with issues have been fairly tame (If emotional, in good and bad ways). But that's just plain insulting and completely undeserved. All that does is hurt the argument by putting a massive emotional investment on something relatively petty.

6 hours ago, wes said:

Hey Campers,.....

-W

Is ok for me ! Thx Wes =D

That damn 10 like limit screen is really getting a workout on this thread. I'm gonna have to make notes and come back to hand more out when I've got them :P

Kudos for the transparency and honesty. While not everyone is gonna understand, it is what it is. If people can't wait a couple days when it comes to the long-term health and success of the game, fuck em. Being backers doesn't give anyone rights or privileges; it means you decided to invest your money with a business who was making something you wanted to see come to market. And when you invest, you are giving the business the right to make needed business decisions. Cause that's what business people do. Backers get the project off the ground but getting new people buying into the idea creates sustainability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perky said:

That is NOT the general sentiment. The vast majority of people with issues have been fairly tame (If emotional, in good and bad ways). But that's just plain insulting and completely undeserved. All that does is hurt the argument by putting a massive emotional investment on something relatively petty.

I don't get what's hard to understand. Steam gave them a finite amount of keys to be given to the press, the media, whatever. Streamers and Youtubers are included because they give them game exposure. If they could have gotten keys for all the backers they would have, period, but that was not the case. Should they have just gotten no reviews before launch? No media exposure? It's not like the game is running commercials in prime time and word of mouth like this, or from other people reading and seeing people play the game is their best source of exposure that they desperately need if we want to be playing this game for a long time to come which I know I do. If you would have them give them away to us to just play in our homes I am sorry but you're being selfish.

The people upset seem to not understand what a press release is or be upset youtubers and streamers are included in that group. How they determined who got a copy I do not know but I do know all you had to do was ask. I asked for one on the FB page as a joke saying I'd review it if they gave me an early copy and they said "Sure email us your credentials and we'll talk about." Backer or not, which I am, that was not what these keys were for.

They've given the game a normal press release and if you want to be upset by that then that is your prerogative to do so. If you're upset about the Youtubers and streamers I suggest you get over it or get used to being upset because that is clearly the wave of the future. If Ubisoft is using Youtubers to promote big games like For Honor then why would smaller companies like Gun who maybe can't get a lot of exposure any other way not do the same. 

If you stop thinking selfishly it should be obvious that they made the correct decision by giving it a press release like this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Perky said:

Please actually read my post. (Not sure what the one you quoted has to do with any of that...) Insulting me and assuming negatively for people is even pettier than the thing you're arguing against.

I'm sorry, I was not doing that at all. Most forums I use include all quotes. So I thought I was quoting that post and the one you quoted when you posted it, that was the one I was directing it at and I was saying so in agreement with you. Sorry for the confusion. 

1 minute ago, bocchiere said:

I'm sorry, I was not doing that at all. Most forums I use include all quotes. So I thought I was quoting that post and the one you quoted when you posted it, that was the one I was directing it at and I was saying so in agreement with you. Sorry for the confusion. 

No worries. The quoting for this is a little odd for me too. Edited my post so there's no confusion on my part. Sorry if i came off as rude myself.

• Like 1

Just now, Perky said:

No worries. The quoting for this is a little odd for me too. Edited my post so there's no confusion on my part. Sorry if i came off as rude myself.

Trust me I've seen and been behind worse knee jerk reactions then that, no problem man.

• Like 1

Hello all!

I may get some negativity for my comments here, but I got here after checking the linked thread from Twitter. I'm one of those seemingly hated "Influencers" that people have been frustrated with in regards to this game. I've been a broadcaster for over 2 years and love what I do.

I've watched all the movies, but it's been awhile and I'm not the most well-versed in the lore or specific scenes. What I'll comment on, as someone that backs Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games, is that I understand the frustration of the backers frustrated that someone is playing the game you helped with your money to get made before you got the opportunity to. I understand that COMPLETELY and totally.

Having said that though, I'll ask a question that the user base may appreciate:

With the game that you backed nearing the next stage in development, and your support as backers having been the reason the game is playable in its current state, how would you propose the team procure more funds for the game on release?

I feel that's an important question, because many (myself included before I got into broadcasting) might think that the game would sell itself thanks to the backers and their word of mouth. That's not how things work though, and as a company with employees, a good CEO would try to figure out how to best keep their team employed -- you know, to make sure the awesome game they made gets better and doesn't just dwindle and die. The first guess after that, I'd imagine, might be an advertising campaign. The question then becomes how to fund that ad campaign -- especially since the funds raised by the backers have gotten the game thus far in development.

So the sensible question changes to:

How do we get this game in front of as many faces as possible at the lowest cost?

The OP is the answer. They're giving broadcasters (admittedly, myself included) access to play a game that you helped get made, but only doing so 48 hours before you get the opportunity to play. Yes, the early access part sucks, but after waiting a year and a half for the devs to create this masterpiece, what's 48 hours? Also, you know what's awesome? The possibility that a FUCKTON of new people finding out about a game they never knew existed due to a movie they may or may not have seen before.

Their respect of the lore doesn't matter, though I understand why you believe it does. Hell, your passion is why the game even got made in the FIRST place. But there are plenty of people that will pick this up because it's fun. Plenty more than that will pick it up because it's the best Friday the 13th game they've ever seen -- it's damn sure the best one I've seen and I've been gaming since the Atari 2600.

If a stat wipe would solve most the backlash the team is receiving for this, I for one would support it. But I've seen multiple people in my community and others that have already pre-ordered after just today - because they didn't know about it before and it looks damn fun. And it is.

TL;DR:

Tomorrow, the game will be made available to everyone that backed, but along side you faithful supporters are MILLIONS of people that are just now learning that this game exists. Those that decide to purchase the game, will help to ensure the game has a bright future. From what I see, the dev team seems hell-bent on making sure it lives on.

Friday, you'll have a smorgasbord of new campers and killers to decapitate, impale, castrate, and generally fuck right-the-hell up, and I get the odd feeling it cost the team a HELL of a lot less than the Millions it would've cost to get a traditional press campaign going.

See you online!

-DeejayKnight

• Like 1

I completely uderstand why you put this out, but if giving the game out early to streamers/ content crear or means it boosts sales and keeps you guys going and helps with the exposure of the game, then I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

i guess im now content with streamers getting early access after reading both sides of the issue, HOWEVER my opinion is a whole (almost two) day wait for the backers is pretty lame and is killing the hype. 

1 minute ago, RudyPatootie said:

i guess im now content with streamers getting early access after reading both sides of the issue, HOWEVER my opinion is a whole (almost two) day wait for the backers is pretty lame and is killing the hype. 

I just don't get how getting to see more gameplay before you get it is ruining it for you. My friends and I were excited knowing we'd see more gameplay in the few days before it came out because no one needed to tell us people would get early copies. Different strokes I guess.

Well, I got to this party late. I see that Ben banished another to the shadow realm. Atleast the only other person I know to be banished has someone to help him fight the demogorgon now. 

Also, I see Tommy changed his name to Ben. This seems only natural to change and shorten his name overtime. Keeps Jason from finding him long enough until he can drop the first name altogether and be uploaded into Iron Man suit. 

Also, learned that most of these streamers have never watched the movies in their lives, before playing. It's like watching a proctologist trying to perform brain surgery. One guy was speaking complete jibberish he gave terrible commentary, or was that Russian? At any rate, seems like the majority of streamers are oblivious to what they are playing. 

Wes, nice to get an explanation but still disappointed in how launch was handle. Mainly because I want to play already and find and destroy all these butcherers of this iconic series. 

Edit:

@wes, are we getting a new sub forum to report bugs, glitches, and issues that arise after launch? 

1 hour ago, bocchiere said:

I just don't get how getting to see more gameplay before you get it is ruining it for you. My friends and I were excited knowing we'd see more gameplay in the few days before it came out because no one needed to tell us people would get early copies. Different strokes I guess.

yeah its all just how you personally take entertainment. 

Good day, sir!

Is there any way to get the game before release, if i am a russian content maker

I have twitch channel with more than 10 000 followers: twitch.tv/russian_baker 

Have a possibility to stream for more than 12 hours before release!

Thanks for your attention.

All the best, 

Baker

I am what you may call a late bloomer and did not discover Twitch until last year as I thought it was a gimmick or just for pro gamers or something.  Turns out it has been the best forum for gaming I have ever experienced.  You can pick what and who to watch and get honest no nonsense game play of the games to determine if you like them by hosters you can either like or find another.  It is truly amazing and gives you so much more valuable knowledge since games are not cheap these days.  I cannot tell you how much it has saved me on either buying games I would not have or not buying games that are not my proverbial cup of tea.  I fully understand that it is a viable aspect to getting the word about the game out by actual people who care about gaming instead of a biased press that will only give certain gaming titles a fair review based on who pays the bills.  I think it is smart.  But some advice from an old retired combat Veteran I received from an old retired combat Veteran when I first started a 30 year military career a long time ago.  

Son you cannot make them all happy.  But you can keep them alive and maybe make them smile once in a while and if you do that then you are doing good.  

Now about your shady dick....gross.  Just sayin.  Keep up the hard work.  Ignore the haters they will still be haters later.  All of you have done very well and I have faith you will continue to do so because you actually care about what you created, it is not just a paycheck to you and it shows.  So smell the roses, enjoy the launch as best as you can and keep up the hard work.  I for one am a fan for life because you all that created this are REAL people that care about REAL people playing what you make.  That is rare in today's world of gaming and I may be wrong but rarely am.  Gold on three platforms before launch is nothing to sneeze at and truthfully I think that is where the haters come from.  You scare them plain and simple.  

Being fans of music like I know you are and not attempting to be a bible thumper I know you have heard the beatles reference to things like this so bear with me here but it may help you all in a time of stress and high emotions, it got me through many battles I can promise you that:  

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see

And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music, Mother Mary comes to me
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.  

The game is awesome.  Let it be.

@wes I was fine with the EA Streamers and completely understood your reasoning and was fine with it. That is, until they did exactly what I feared and killed Jason and posted videos on how to do it before the game even launches. There were a TON of people who spent months theorizing how to kill him and were loooking forward to going into the game and trying to figure it out on launch. That is now completely ruined because it's plastered everywhere now. And now launch day tomorrow is gonna have pretty much anyone who wants that trophy/achievement getting it because it's ridiculously easy to replicate in a private match with friends. Hell, you're gonna have people tomorrow in their very first match doing it to get the trophy and be one of the first people to get the trophy because people are dumb and care about stuff like that.

Why did you not just tell the EA Streamers that part of their agreement for EA was that they wouldn't try to kill Jason/weren't allowed to put on the sweater etc. or make videos about how to kill Jason? Giving them EA is fine, but allowing them to spoil the main thing about the game there is to spoil before any backer or anyone in general can even set foot in the game is pretty shitty. You have to be able to empathize with how unfair that is to everyone. And how it is really gonna piss a lot of people off. You guys spent months teasing us about how to kill him and told us yourselves you wanted us to 'discover' it ourselves. But then never actually gave us the opportunity to do so.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DeejayKnight said:

The OP is the answer. They're giving broadcasters (admittedly, myself included) access to play a game that you helped get made, but only doing so 48 hours before you get the opportunity to play. Yes, the early access part sucks, but after waiting a year and a half for the devs to create this masterpiece, what's 48 hours? Also, you know what's awesome? The possibility that a FUCKTON of new people finding out about a game they never knew existed due to a movie they may or may not have seen before

Someone with the lifetime followership of 28k on his stream will not create a "fuckton" of new people to the community. And sadly that is one of the higher numbers some of the streamers who had EA didnt even have over 10 viewers. This is the part that is not acceptable (to me as a backer), these are not sodapoppin, lirik, so on where you can argue yes those streamers have some influence and deserve "press kits". People have a right to be upset, is it the end of the world? Of course not. But they (we) should be heard because it was nine to five jobs that made marketing even possible for you (F13) to think about.  If you want to pose questions I pose this one. Would you rather have our backer cash, or would you rather we downloaded obs for free, loaded up some free overlay and streamed to 8 of friends for a free copy? . I'm not sure how crowdfunded games would get made then but i'd sure rather be playing the game before everyone else. 

55 minutes ago, ikarikh said:

Why did you not just tell the EA Streamers that part of their agreement for EA was that they wouldn't try to kill Jason/weren't allowed to put on the sweater etc. or make videos about how to kill Jason? Giving them EA is fine, but allowing them to spoil the main thing about the game there is to spoil before any backer or anyone in general can even set foot in the game is pretty shitty. You have to be able to empathize with how unfair that is to everyone. And how it is really gonna piss a lot of people off. You guys spent months teasing us about how to kill him and told us yourselves you wanted us to 'discover' it ourselves. But then never actually gave us the opportunity to do so.

I was saying the same thing earlier. I haven't watched, read,  or heard how its done yet and will try my best to keep it that way. But if I get in a game with some punk that spoils it I'm going to be pissed. I have my theory and want to try it, if it doesn't work I looked forward to figuring it out with others. 

This is like having a movie or book you've been looking forward to ruined. Except this is ruined, for many of the people responsible for the game even existing, before it was even released.

I wonder if there is a EULA available to read yet. Wonder if any of these streamers violated any of it. 

1 hour ago, ikarikh said:

@wes I was fine with the EA Streamers and completely understood your reasoning and was fine with it. That is, until they did exactly what I feared and killed Jason and posted videos on how to do it before the game even launches. There were a TON of people who spent months theorizing how to kill him and were loooking forward to going into the game and trying to figure it out on launch. That is now completely ruined because it's plastered everywhere now. And now launch day tomorrow is gonna have pretty much anyone who wants that trophy/achievement getting it because it's ridiculously easy to replicate in a private match with friends. Hell, you're gonna have people tomorrow in their very first match doing it to get the trophy and be one of the first people to get the trophy because people are dumb and care about stuff like that.

I haven't seen it yet, hoping to avoid it. :(

Seriously though- it's a low blow. So much for this "player discovery" line we've been fed.

12 hours ago, Scox said:
3 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I was saying the same thing earlier. I haven't watched, read,  or heard how its done yet and will try my best to keep it that way. But if I get in a game with some punk that spoils it I'm going to be pissed. I have my theory and want to try it, if it doesn't work I looked forward to figuring it out with others. 

This is like having a movie or book you've been looking forward to ruined. Except this is ruined, for many of the people responsible for the game even existing, before it was even released.

I wonder if there is a EULA available to read yet. Wonder if any of these streamers violated any of it. 

PeopIe are already intentionally spoiling the kill on the steam forums :|