wes

Early Access to Press/Streamers

222 posts in this topic

Hey Campers,

We've noticed a lot of messages being sent our way about press and streamers getting early access to the game. Thought I would take a moment to talk with each of you here. I will do my best to try to explain/answer some of the questions and comments we have received so far.

We had an overwhelming request to allow for backers to pre-load the game. That's not a flip of the switch by any means. It took us 2 weeks to set everything up properly with Valve. Doing so kind of splits the game package (how steam handles executable of the game) into two different packages. They share the same backend for game saves, progress, etc. But on the back end of Steam, it splits it. Press package and Pre-load package. Next, we have to request keys; pre-load keys (the keys we sent to PC backers) and Press keys. The terms and conditions that we agree to as developers/publishers with Valve/Steam states that we can not "sell" press keys. (Same for Sony and MS by the way.) We were given a finite amount of press keys that point to the active game package. We were given a precise amount of pre-load keys to send to backers. This package does not and can not activate until the launch date. 

So why do press members, content creators and streamers get access to the press keys? Well, the press (like Gamespot, IGN, Polygon, etc) get access to press keys because they are press. But the world of video game journalism shifted BIG TIME over the last few years. Content creators on Youtube and streamers on Twitch, garner audiences that rival press outlets. So much so that every major press outlet, streams games on launch day. It's not a coincidence. The Press is playing catchup and trying to compete. 

Content creators and streamers create a direct avenue to new audiences. New audiences lead to potential new sales. New sales mean both full servers AND revenue to keep the servers going and new content (DLC) in the pipeline. I know this might be hard to see, but it's the truth. To developers and publishers; content creators and streamers are the new "Press". And the Press has gotten early access to games since the dawn of the video game industry. You could have a great game, but if no one knows about it, it doesn't last long. Servers close...content dries up...games die. Especially for small teams like ours. We don't have $300M in the bank to rely on if the game tanks. We can't really brush that off and say "welp, let's go make something else."

I know some of you are pissed at this. I can understand why you would be. You backed the game. You believed in the project and supported it since the start. And we did our damnest to use that money in smart ways to create the best F13 experience we could. I'm sorry if you're upset about this, but I'm doing what I think is best for the future of this title. It's not about showing favoritism to content creators/streamers. On the contrary; I'm trying use as many tools as I possibly can to keep you guys, the fans, happy.  I want full lobbies and I want to make cool ass DLC that I'm pretty sure everyone will love.

Some of you will still be upset, and I understand. All I can do is offer this explanation and my apologies. If you want to yell at me or call me a dick or shady, etc. That's fine. I'm here, listening. 

-W

17 people like this

If this sort of stuff basically helps to keep up servers, add more content in the future, more maps, help with patches, pay for employees... I support your and the teams decision. It is not your fault people are impatient, but I can wait for the game to release when it releases, I am in no rush. 

Thank you very much for making this game a reality and making a game of the year deserving title. :)

Cannot wait to see what's in stored for us in the future!!!

1 person likes this

I appreciate the hefty response and explanation. I hope this pays off and we see a large player base, along with DLC to keep the game alive and thriving.

I guess two days isn't too long to wait. I do have some general gripes I'll save until I'm playing myself to form a final opinion.

The only thing that annoys me about the EA is no Stat wiping. 

I do have one question I'd like answered @wes... do you plan to do anything about the hair coming alive? Fuckin shit goes crazy when you're in a car haha.

1 person likes this

I can't believe people are complaining about this...the game isn't even launched and already people are already itching to find silly things to get disgruntled about.  

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Wes - I'm sure you have many more important things to do. 

2 people like this

I will admit, it hurts to watch a 20 year old girl refer to Tommy as "Ben Jarvis" while playing the game I love, simply because boys like her assets. But I can't fault you as a businessman for being shrewd in your dealings.

6 people like this

It doesnt matter if your intent was 'not about showing favortism' , its what you did. If this game was a standard launch and not a kickstarted title I would have no problem with press passes. You're a business and I get it, you want to see this game succeed financially as best as possible.

Its just becoming painfully obvious that you will always choose money over your backers/fans, between this, no stat resets, the way delays were handled and the lackluster clothing pack this whole launch has left a sour taste in my mouth.

2 people like this

Our original plan was just ONE day early...but then we started getting some grumblings from press overseas, in different time zones. Basically not having ample time. We tried to be fair to all press/content creators/streamers around the world..so we gave them an extra day. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Litheran said:

I will admit, it hurts to watch a 20 year old girl refer to Tommy as "Ben Jarvis" while playing the game I love, simply because boys like her assets. But I can't fault you as a businessman for being shrewd in your dealings.

This kills my soul too, trust me. Probably more than you know. :( (fucking Ben Jarvis....jesus christ)

1 person likes this

You guys have put together what appears to be an amazing game and I think the number of people wanting to jump in as soon as possible speaks to that. While I don't think you owe us an explanation I'm grateful for it and appreciate the communication.

Looking forward to Friday!

I know I already told you this on two different platforms...But I'll say it again:

Most of us know and can get behind this. But what we're asking is that those players at least have their progress reset in order to keep things fair at launch. Perks, unlocked counselors, and unlocked Jasons will make a difference to the players that have them...Sure, a fellow counselors perks may benefit me a bit too. But there's still an imbalance there.

You stated to me before that "press progress is never reset"...Also true. But Press accounts aren't typically used "in the wild" once the game is out, either. They'll get their own copy of the game for their personal accounts, usually, or just stop playing on said account altogether.

I fully understand the need to get twitch players on board. But like you mentioned, the press has changed, and therefore so has the nature of their accounts. They're personal accounts now. And there's a WHOLE LOT of people streaming this right now who are getting ahead.

It's not something I can't get over by tomorrow when I get to start. But it's still annoying nonetheless. I've shown more support for this game than MANY of these nobody streamers. I'm giving away GAME copies to members of this forum and on my twitch channel. At the very least, a reset should occur. Even a couple of the guys on Laphin's stream today were saying they should.

As always, Wes. I appreciate all the honesty and transparency. But this just isn't going to sit well with a lot of the people who have supported you guys over the long haul.

Respectfully,

AldermachXI

2 minutes ago, wes said:

This kills my soul too, trust me. Probably more than you know. :( (fucking Ben Jarvis....jesus christ)

Well that's understandable this game is your baby, I want to swaddle your baby and sing it a sleepy time song and stash money into it's college fund.....she just shit on your baby. It's okay, 'cause come release time....I'm gonna stalk the servers till I find her....she gonna learn.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I know I already told you this on two different platforms...But I'll say it again:

Most of us know and can get behind this. But what we're asking is that those players at least have their progress reset in order to keep things fair at launch. Perks, unlocked counselors, and unlocked Jasons will make a difference to the players that have them...Sure, a fellow counselors perks may benefit me a bit too. But there's still an imbalance there.

You stated to me before that "press progress is never reset"...Also true. But Press accounts aren't typically used "in the wild" once the game is out, either. They'll get their own copy of the game for their personal accounts, usually, or just stop playing on said account altogether.

I fully understand the need to get twitch players on board. But like you mentioned, the press has changed, and therefore so has the nature of their accounts. They're personal accounts now. And there's a WHOLE LOT of people streaming this right now who are getting ahead.

It's not something I can't get over by tomorrow when I get to start. But it's still annoying nonetheless. I've shown more support for this game than MANY of these nobody streamers. I'm giving away GAME copies to members of this forum and on my twitch channel. At the very least, a reset should occur. Even a couple of the guys on Laphin's stream today were saying they should.

As always, Wes. I appreciate all the honesty and transparency. But this just isn't going to sit well with a lot of the people who have supported you guys over the long haul.

Respectfully,

AldermachXI

Thanks and I understand your comment for sure. But our game isn't competitive. There isn't really an advantage to this character over that. It's not like one Jason is better than one that is still locked. It comes down to player style. Which one you prefer is different than one that is "better" you know?

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Litheran said:

Well that's understandable this game is your baby, I want to swaddle your baby and sing it a sleepy time song and stash money into it's college fund.....she just shit on your baby. It's okay, 'cause come release time....I'm gonna stalk the servers till I find her....she gonna learn.

Take a screenshot, send it to me, we'll all sign it and send back. Consider this a contract to take her out in game. LOL ;)

5 people like this

It's your project/baby/dream so whatever you do with the game is fine. I'm just tired of watching other people play a bad-ass game that I want (have expected/anticipated for almost a year) to play. As long as I'm killing fools on my Sexbox1 at 12:01EST on 5/26, then we're cool. Everybody be cool.. 

Thanks Wes/Randy/Gun Media/Illfonic for making this a reality..

LFDT.

to be honest, i don't care people got the press passes and we the backers did not. it only 2 days and i mean we get to see the game and people that are new or curious can see if for them self and go out and buy it. so, in a way, you did a good thing by picking youtuber/twitchers people to show case what we have been waiting 2 years for ! @wes

@wesGet that key rebinding in asap :D For now we'll just have to edit the .ini like in beta, don't forget mouse button 4 & 5 support

2 people like this

Long time supporter and day 1 or 2 backer.

Again, I'm not pissed at your practices, as a "mythical streamer/retired legend" of Twitch.tv/JTV/Former Destructoid.com, I understand how all this works. We use to get so much crap for streaming something a few days early because developers would send us codes. (note: still waiting to hear about details on Xbox/PS4 backers codes)

Not throwing any shade at you and your team, I'm more or less disappointed with the Twitch Streamers as majority have no real knowledge of the franchise, possibly getting on Wiki or seeing a film or two as their backbone. I was cringing a lot from this. One of the guys I wish you would have gotten early access to would have been King_Foom as he is a super fan and another OG legendary Twitch Streamer. I understand he probably didn't reach out due to reasons I don't know of. But yeah today hearing Ben Jarvis just made me realize that that current Twitch Streamers, really have no true drive or care for the details of things. When I use to put on "shows" it was a performance, and entertainment, which I was crafted from the wisdom of Jon Carnage (former Destructoid now Twitch TV's Ric Flair.), but I always did my research and planned everything before I even hit the live on twitch servers.

I think as far as good press, giving the game to people who respect the franchise and may not be the biggest front page cam whore, would be better in the long run for the aspect of putting out a real review and thoughts. I left game journalism due to all the paid opinions and knit picking that would ruin people from actually purchasing a game that could really be a fun gem. Prime example: I reviewed WWE 2k14, put out a passionate review and justified my high rating. People tried to shit on me, but I responded to every single comment in a civil manner as well as explaining it might not be the most crisp thing ever, but the point is the love for wrestling and being able to create Mr. Peanut or the Gordons Fisherman and have amazing fun. The franchise went to crap, and people still talk about how fun 2k14 is, of course they still have this weird boner for No Mercy.  I mean Evil Dead didn't get an Oscar, but it's such an amazing film and a cult classic. But it's a double edged sword when it comes down to it. You're gonna have your lovers and your haters. Just remember, you guys have a title, that will undo the thing that was released on NES where I still haven't managed to figure how to beat the stupid thing.

the game will do well, you've got the support from people who care about the series, and you've got a passionate fanbase. So my advice honestly, is sit back, take a breather because it's gonna be a wild weekend. See you on the killing fields.

-Lucha

p.s. If the game is wonky, who cares, the soundtrack is fantastic and Chad is love, Chad is Life.

4 people like this

This is what I'm saying, I mean through experience working in retail you realise that a lot of people will have a whinge about anything for the sake of it. Even grown men and women. So, don't worry too much about demands, you'll see the people who care when we prepare to help you accomplish a goal we feel should be accomplished. It's a little like how people have reacted to an attack recently, people have been saying terrible things about the police and how they aren't doing enough to protect the county instead of actually showing them a nod of appreciation for what they have done and are doing to protect the people. It's just easier to moan apparently, so take no notice bud. We want this to happen as much as you do buddy, your true fans won't talk shit to you, because we understand! We know it's really hard work and a lot to handle, with all the requests, questions, programming and all. But just remember those who are appreciative of what you have done and how well you have done it considering it was a starter project. You should be very happy  with yourselves! 

Great job! Can't wait to play and hopefully see more.

1 person likes this

My biggest problem isn't that streamers are getting into the game early, what upsets me is the fact that they will be further in the progression system than the rest of us. Which makes me wonder what the progression system is even doing in the game in the first place? Is it to make the game seem like it has more content than it actually does? Why do people have to play a ton of matches just to be able to play the character they want? It's madness and just makes the entire experience seem restricted for no reason. 

I also don't like how the in-game animations look worse than they did in the beta. The opening scene for the match has these weird fast paced camera angles that make the entire thing seem like a weird rush. It feels unnatural how fast the impact from Jason and the counselor falling is, and given the current facial expressions it only highlights how cartoony this supposed horror game is with the animations. It's not satisfying in the slightest when I think to myself that the beta build of this game looked better. The worst part of it all is this is the final version of the game, this is what it's going to be like at release. Even if there's updates in the future that polish this game, it's still like I'm just buying another Early Access game. The thought that disturbs me the most is this game was supposed to release last year, what kind of state would the game have been like then? Would you still have charged $40 for it? These decisions are bizarre to me, help me understand them. 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, wes said:

Thanks and I understand your comment for sure. But our game isn't competitive. There isn't really an advantage to this character over that. It's not like one Jason is better than one that is still locked. It comes down to player style. Which one you prefer is different than one that is "better" you know?

Absolutely. Thanks for taking my comment in stride. And like someone else brought to my attention earlier, this will only effect consoles.

Very much looking forward to streaming this and helping the community grow regardless of how I feel about this.

It sucks for backers, because most of us are the die hard type that get twisted panties about things like color and shape of the nose of the different masks.

But, if it means more support and attention on the game, I will accept it, not only because I have no choice, but because ever since I heard about it, and before it was actually a reality, I wanted a game like this.

I want this idea to thrive, because I want to be stalking Crystal Lake for a long time. I also think that other horror series could benefit from a game of this nature, The Thing and Aliens immediately come to mind, so the more popular this game and this type of game become, the more likely things like that are to happen. 

I dont envy the amount of work you guys have ahead of you over the next few weeks, but I am nearly bursting at the seams with excitement over it.

Cheers Gun/Illfonic. 

2 people like this

I mean I get your reasoning, need more fans. I'm just salty that I backed the game the MINUTE it was launched on kickstarter and followed the progress everyday and convinced all my friends to back it as well and now we have to wait and watch these streamers play it (who a majority only recently found out about the game). 

3 people like this

31 minutes ago, wes said:

But it didn't come down to player style in the beta, it was incredibly obvious which Jason was better and which counselor was better. The progression system is going to encourage people to stick with the meta to unlock the content they want, and the random perks are going to put some people at an advantage over others, regardless of play time. It's not going to end up being competitive, but it could get to a point where people are going to wonder why they even bother if they can't survive or get a kill. This is one of the reasons people dislike Dead by Daylight, there's huge balance issues caused by RNG traits and characters. 

I'm an old school dude. Growing up, Nintendo power and stuff was how I learned about games. When the first threads came down about streamers getting first run, I was annoyed. I didn't see them as the way of the future. To be honest I still don't but my personal opinion doesn't mean much in the grand scheme.

Since then I've gotten over it all. Things happened and for better or for worse, they are what they are. This is the line I'm running with. 

44 minutes ago, wes said:

but I'm doing what I think is best for the future of this title.

That is the saving grace of the post for me. Hard decisions, painful decisions are made at times. There is a saying that a pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood. Sucks now, but in a week if it's for the best, I'm going to accept it.

I'll trust you on this, Wes. 

Though I still plan to fuck you up if I see you in game. 

5 people like this