ResolutionBlaze

Making Jason's Cold, Still Face Seem More Alive

So let's talk about faces.  In particular, Jason's face.

Jason has an amazing face.... in terms of detail and model.  One thing that bothered me though, is that it is absolutely still.  That's fine if you're going for, maybe, Part 9 Jason where the face is nothing more than a skull, but but for 2 and 3 it looks odd.

I know Lip Sync is on the to do list, but before proceeding with that, I'd recommend a route to take before going through with that.  Make Jason seem more alive.... or if not alive, more animated, especially in the facial region.

Here I'll compile a short list of things that are small yet big steps to making him seem more animated and less still.  These should especially be true for Human Jason.

- Blinking and jaw moments, especially while idle.  Seeing his face move in general would give anyone the willies.

- Show pain.  When stunned, have him close his eyes and grimace.  Hell when he's shot in the head, have his eyes roll inward until he gets up.

- Facial animations for actions and kills.  When he's chasing someone, have him looks angry, excited, or egar.  While he is killing, give him individual facial animations.  Tightening teeth and face while he's gorging someone's eyes out.  Gaping his mouth in anger or glee while he smashes their face into a wall.

- Grunting.  Less animated and more sound related though.  This should be especially true for Human Jason.

This was a short list but this is something I would love to see.  What about you guys?

• Like 3

The animations I'd be totally down with, even though there was little facial expression from Jason in the movies, there was still some.

Grunts though... it's been a while since I watched parts 1 - 5; the most recent films I've watched have been 6 and 7. The only time I recall Jason making any noise is in the F13 remake and even that was just breathing under his mask. I don't really recall Jason ever making any noises, not even when shot or stabbed or even blown up by the FBI. Didn't make any noise when he rose from his grave in 6, or any time before and after as far as I can recall.

Just now, Kodiak said:

The animations I'd be totally down with, even though there was little facial expression from Jason in the movies, there was still some.

Grunts though... it's been a while since I watched parts 1 - 5; the most recent films I've watched have been 6 and 7. The only time I recall Jason making any noise is in the F13 remake and even that was just breathing under his mask. I don't really recall Jason ever making any noises, not even when shot or stabbed or even blown up by the FBI. Didn't make any noise when he rose from his grave in 6, or any time before and after as far as I can recall.

I recall it while watching Part 3.  I think Chris stabbed his leg and he want like "Argh!" But that was human Jason.

Oh shit yeah actually that sounds kinda familiar, I'll have to take a look. The more human Jasons it'd make sense for, but the undead ones never made a sound. I'd be down for parts 2 + 3 having the odd, rare grunt when he gets smashed, but he generally stays super quiet except for the odd occasion :)

You have my vote amigo.

• Like 1

I agree with this. The Jason models look fantastic, but lack some emotion he had in the films (weird right).

For instance:

giphy.gif

The mouth is slightly open, the look of eagerness and anger is easy to see. It's  subtle little things that make it that much more terrifying. 

9DC.gif?270

Part 7 you can tell is visibly pissed off. The mouth opening slightly (again) along with the annoyed expression and the eyes.

tumblr_n6b2zbCnc41rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Part 2 we have moving hair, screaming, and a very pissed off expression. I think i see a common theme here.

I like this idea and i think it fits really well. It would add tension, especially when his mask is off which is tense enough on its own.

I like the idea in general. The only thing I have to wonder is what it would detract from being made. Combine that with Jason spending most of his time wearing a mask and I don't think it's the first thing I'd have the dev's spend their energy on. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

I like the idea in general. The only thing I have to wonder is what it would detract from being made. Combine that with Jason spending most of his time wearing a mask and I don't think it's the first thing I'd have the dev's spend their energy on. 

Sure but we have lip syncing on the list.  If that's being considered I'd rather have this done in its place.

1 minute ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

Sure but we have lip syncing on the list.  If that's being considered I'd rather have this done in its place.

I'd like them both, but I'd argue even synching would be better for drawing players in. You talk to other counselors and face them much more often then you look at Jason. And even when you see him, he mostly wears a mask. Best case scenario is that Jason gets random facial movement while the counselors get lip sync.

6 hours ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

I recall it while watching Part 3.  I think Chris stabbed his leg and he want like "Argh!" But that was human Jason.

He did.  Also part 7 made a noise when Tina knocked him through the stairs with the ceiling light. 

As cool as having Jason do some facial expressions I don't think it's in their budget.  Also playing as Jason you see him from the back and as a counselor I don't think you're going to stop and really look at him while you're running for your life lol. 

Gdain no double posting please.

On-topic i think it would acutally be nice to have some facial animations for Jason,the counsellors have facial animations so why not Jason too.

7 minutes ago, FreakyFrank1 said:

Gdain no double posting please.

On-topic i think it would acutally be nice to have some facial animations for Jason,the counsellors have facial animations so why not Jason too.

Didn't realize I did that, sorry.  

His facial expressions would be cool but like I said I don't think you would really have the time to look at him.  You can't really see his face playing as him anyway and other players won't see anything until/if they knock his mask off.  Playing as a counselor you got to see them look around and got a clear shot of their faces showing different expressions.  Jason just looks head on so idk. 

5 hours ago, Kodiak said:

I don't really recall Jason ever making any noises, not even when shot or stabbed or even blown up by the FBI. 

In 3 he grunts loudly when hung, and when hit in the head with the axe. In 7, he make some raspy noises when falling through the stairs. As for not making any sounds in JGTH? Your memory is playing tricks on you. He's a noisy bastard in that one.

Ahh true. JGTH... cool design but the whole slug Jason thing was bloody stupid. Been ages since I watched any of the films besides 6, 7, remake and FvJ.

I think little touches like this would be fantastic.

Although, it looks pretty fucking derpy at some points.

1 hour ago, Honkytonkgamer said:

A smiling Jason would scare the shit out of me. Lol.

Just like that scene of terminator u quoted creepy lol

Is it possible that the way Jason is currently setup, the mask is attached to his face in such a way that any facial animations would cause the mask to stretch and shift in visibly weird ways? I love the idea, but perhaps we're gonna have a long wait if implementing animation would require a rework of all the current Jason models. 

On 23/05/2017 at 4:00 PM, lHeartBreakerl said:

I agree with this. The Jason models look fantastic, but lack some emotion he had in the films (weird right).

For instance:

giphy.gif

The mouth is slightly open, the look of eagerness and anger is easy to see. It's  subtle little things that make it that much more terrifying. 

9DC.gif?270

Part 7 you can tell is visibly pissed off. The mouth opening slightly (again) along with the annoyed expression and the eyes.

tumblr_n6b2zbCnc41rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Part 2 we have moving hair, screaming, and a very pissed off expression. I think i see a common theme here.

I like this idea and i think it fits really well. It would add tension, especially when his mask is off which is tense enough on its own.

Anyone else just realise part 7 Jason stole Michael Jackson's nose?

1 minute ago, Seeker said:

Anyone else just realise part 7 Jason stole Michael Jackson's nose?

Son of a bitch.

• Like 1

I remember in Jason takes Manhattan and he makes that terrifying wailing noise when he get's that toxic/hazardous material thrown at his face. Nightmare material.