ervinduchrow

A kind of Friday the 13th as a series?

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:13 AM, Ban_All_Music said:

I can't see this working as a TV show.

The only way it could really work is if the conceit was that the entire season took place on Friday the 13th, maybe modeled after part IV in terms of set up (family vacation home and party house next door) and each episode was one hour, copying the hit show 24. But like you mentioned, there's a lack of depth in this concept, so all kinds of characters and b, c, and even d stories would need to be introduced, including a mid season reversal. The biggest problem is that the show would require a protagonist with an unsolveable problem that carries through from episode to episode, and the Friday the 13th movies simply don't lend themselves well to an active protagonist. Typically the protagonist is not PRO anything. They do nothing until the final act, and then they REACT the entire time. We aren't following their quest to achieve a goal throughout the film -- we're waiting for them to die or escape, and for the entire film, we the audience are light years ahead of the characters, while they are oblivious to what's going on.

But TV shows really rely on the character drama and the characters' long term, unattainable goals (and if those goals are ever attained in a season finale, you immediately throw in a new unattainable goal). I'm sure something could be thought of, but it would be a fine line to keep it from slipping into contrived melodrama.

I think it could work easily. 

just let it take place during a year...with the seasons, so spring, summer, autumn, winter.

Who wouldn't love to see Jason in those season/weather settings ?!

Look at stuff such as American Gods, Ash vs the Evil Dead, Dexter, Hell even gems (imho) like breaking Bad, Westworld etc etc.

I really believe TV series are the future of entertainment instead of movies.

The possibilities one has with TV series are insane, it could be perfect if done right.

And lot's more hours of Crystal lake, and Jason, and dead counselors...

2 hours ago, Redmarble said:

It's definitely where the most production is happening right now, at least.

2 hours ago, Redmarble said:

Look at stuff such as American Gods, Ash vs the Evil Dead, Dexter, Hell even gems (imho) like breaking Bad, Westworld etc etc.

The problem is you're describing shows with premises that lend themselves to different mini stories and seasonal arcs, with clear protagonists with clear goals. Jason can't be the protagonist. That's a problem for this format. You would have to create a character we care about, and give her a goal that is compelling with stakes we can understand that can carry an entire season. You can't have an anthology show where every episode is Jason killing random people. That would never work.

The thing most people don't understand when they say TV is taking over film is that TV shows have very different structures than films. Even made-for-TV movies have different structures (unless it's made for something like Netflix or HBO, where you don't have commercial breaks). They are completely different narrative beasts, in as much as a novel is different from a movie. You can't simply transpose a screenplay into a teleplay.

I write and much of my writing is in the horror genre.

I would love to be considered for the project and could send you something as a sample of my style, if you prefer.

However, I am NOT a scriptwriter. Short stories and novels. So, if that style works, please consider me.

5 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

The problem is you're describing shows with premises that lend themselves to different mini stories and seasonal arcs, with clear protagonists with clear goals. Jason can't be the protagonist. That's a problem for this format. You would have to create a character we care about, and give her a goal that is compelling with stakes we can understand that can carry an entire season. You can't have an anthology show where every episode is Jason killing random people. That would never work.

The thing most people don't understand when they say TV is taking over film is that TV shows have very different structures than films. Even made-for-TV movies have different structures (unless it's made for something like Netflix or HBO, where you don't have commercial breaks). They are completely different narrative beasts, in as much as a novel is different from a movie. You can't simply transpose a screenplay into a teleplay.

I get your point.

Yet (although it's more hope to be perfectly honest..) I think it can be done;

You have Camp Crystal lake, the surroundings and and other camps, and the Township.

And SO many characters to include from the movies.

Let's say you take the first four movies and the 6th ( Hell even the 5th one if done right) as a basis, I think you can come a long way..., if you understand what I mean.

The story alone told in the first one could be made in a season (yes  I am being very enthusiastic) The protagonists there could be Jason's mother and Jason as a kid.  

The second season could include the aftermath of the first movie, thus include the story of part two and three in it (sackhead, and Jason mask). The protagonist being Jason.

The third season could then include the aftermath of the movie part three, thus include the story of part four (five) and six in it (the killing and resurrection of  Jason). The protagonist being Tommy Jarvis .

This might even be enough material for 2 seasons (but that might be stretching it).

As long as they make sure the timeline is retro, I really think this could work. (I don't enjoy modernized versions of movies and the like to be honest)

5 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Quoting cause I think you pretty much covered why it doesn't work. 

TV is certainly in a golden age, which has been said many times by people and the press. Even though there are technically less people watching in the traditional format of the days of Seinfeld and such, the quality has surpassed the majority of films. Horror has yet to find its golden age, mostly through writers thinking shock is all you need in horror. F13th just doesn't have enough substance for a TV show to be of the quality of something like Fargo. I will have to think on what horror film/franchise could sustain the format.

Interestingly enough, this was announced: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/tremors-tv-show-syfy-kevin-bacon-1202479038/

But again, there is more to work with here. You have an infinite amount of graboids to exterminate, along with all their variations (giving us our protagonist's unattainable goal), you have a primary character we can get on board with, and you have a mythology that can be expanded upon that could introduce secondary and tertiary antagonists, granting us mid season reveals and reversals.

I think even JAWS would be easier to adapt to a series than F13, to be honest. Because again you're coming at it from a character with a goal and you have all these obstacles (like the short-sighted mayor) that can be thrown in, and interpersonal relationships, etc.

But FRIDAY...? I really don't see it.

If it becomes a TV series, it should be one akin to Spartacus with lots of blood and sex on a network like Starz. They could give it say 7 episodes per season since I am not a fan of "filler" material to stretch a horror series beyond 10 episodes.