ervinduchrow

A kind of Friday the 13th as a series?

I think each of you had noticed that for October 2017 another "Friday the 13th" movie was planned. A few months ago, "Paramount Pictures" announced that they are rejecting the movie. And I hate her for the decision. The reason for the decision was probably that the new "Ring" movie was not successful. And we are honest. Who is interested in "Ring"? Nobody! Now we get a new "Es" movie, another "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movie and even a "Jeepers Creepers" movie! But why hell no "Friday the 13th" ?! Everyone is in perfect mood for Jason Voorhees! And here is my idea! We all love the "Friday the 13th" movies! Everyone here loves them. So why do we not write a script for a series?! We don't have to call her "Friday the 13th series". I thought of the name "Campfire Tales". And it does not have to be the same story as in the movies.

A group of young people, a place like a abandoned camp and a killer who chases them. Series like "Scream" on Netflix show us that it can works!

If you are interested in writing a script for a series, write a comment or write me a message. I think that it could work. 

-Ervin Duchrow

• Like 1

I watched the first 3 movies for the first time yesterday and I actually had the thought that it could work really well as a series! I'm not interested in writing a script but I think a show would be perfect. I would keep the same basic plot as the first movie but obviously let it burn over like 12 episodes. The shit would really hit the fan over the last 3 or so episodes. 

What am I saying, OBVIOUSLY it should be 13 episodes!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Donnie Deado said:

I watched the first 3 movies for the first time yesterday and I actually had the thought that it could work really well as a series! I'm not interested in writing a script but I think a show would be perfect. I would keep the same basic plot as the first movie but obviously let it burn over like 12 episodes. The shit would really hit the fan over the last 3 or so episodes. 

What am I saying, OBVIOUSLY it should be 13 episodes!

When I could, I would take the story from "Friday the 13th". But I have no rights :( But I will try to make the "Pilot" script so good as possible for the fans!

• Like 1

They tried recently to get a tv series on the CW off the ground, but it fell through.

58 minutes ago, Dogmatic said:

They tried recently to get a tv series on the CW off the ground, but it fell through.

Was it about the "Friday the 13th" story?

2 hours ago, ervinduchrow said:

Was it about the "Friday the 13th" story?

Kinda sorta:

Friday the 13th: The Franchise fansite caught up with creator Sean S. Cunningham during New Jersey’s Monster-Mania convention, who dropped some new details.

The site reports that Cunningham has “confirmed interest from The CW in regards to pickup for the TV show.” He reportedly said that the basic premise of the series will focus on the “REAL” city of Crystal Lake and the effect that the serialized films had on its “real life” counterpart. This allows them to reimagine Jason in a more grounded reality, as the films would be based off the real life killings that took place at the Camp (which was inspired by Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco in Blairstown, New Jersey) with both the hockey-masked Jason and a more serious backwoods-inspired killer making appearances throughout. A very Meta approach, if you will.

51 minutes ago, ervinduchrow said:

Oh, okey. It is worth a try.

It's dead now, though, probably for the best. I remember one of the rejected FvsJ scripts having a very similar premise.

I can't see this working as a TV show. Here are the reasons why: 

1. You would have to kill off many characters to keep people interested. 

2. Killing off too many characters to keep people interested would be terrible since to fill the running time, you would have to give the characters much more depth than they have in the films. That would make people upset or angry if their favorite is killed. 

3. Everyone would have to come across as the "final girl" for it to not be predictable. And if everyone comes across as the final girl, see my second reason why it wouldn't work. 

4a. Kane Hodder would throw another tantrum when he isn't asked to be part of it. No one wants to see a grown man cry. (that is a joke reason)

4b. Jason or Pamela wouldn't be able to do what they need to do unless it was on a cable channel like American Horror Story is. And then they would become corrupted/diluted, taken away from their silver screen counterparts to more of a Bates Motel place. Frankly, there is not enough substance to them to sustain that type of show and too much substance to sustain a more terrible show like Slasher. 

5. It would become repetitive. You could make it past one season without Jason or Pamela dying, but then they would have to die. If we go with Pamela, then we need an all new cast for the second/third season. That will drive away viewers, having to get to know and not get attached to new people since they will be killed off. If we begin with Jason, then we have to come up with reasons for him to keep coming back...I don't think today's audience would go for lightning. 

6. If it can't be sustained for multiple seasons, then it must be a one-off. That wouldn't happen because they would have to put more money into a television show than a movie without it being a guaranteed moneymaker. Audiences would be skeptical of a F13th TV show, especially with the only point of reference being the show that came on nearly two decades ago and Scream/Slasher, both of which have performed poorly enough to not warrant a high enough budget. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

I don't want to see a TV series. It would be entirely focused on high school drama. 

And what if not?

3 hours ago, Ban_All_Music said:

I can't see this working as a TV show. Here are the reasons why: 

1. You would have to kill off many characters to keep people interested. 

2. Killing off too many characters to keep people interested would be terrible since to fill the running time, you would have to give the characters much more depth than they have in the films. That would make people upset or angry if their favorite is killed. 

3. Everyone would have to come across as the "final girl" for it to not be predictable. And if everyone comes across as the final girl, see my second reason why it wouldn't work. 

4a. Kane Hodder would throw another tantrum when he isn't asked to be part of it. No one wants to see a grown man cry. (that is a joke reason)

4b. Jason or Pamela wouldn't be able to do what they need to do unless it was on a cable channel like American Horror Story is. And then they would become corrupted/diluted, taken away from their silver screen counterparts to more of a Bates Motel place. Frankly, there is not enough substance to them to sustain that type of show and too much substance to sustain a more terrible show like Slasher. 

5. It would become repetitive. You could make it past one season without Jason or Pamela dying, but then they would have to die. If we go with Pamela, then we need an all new cast for the second/third season. That will drive away viewers, having to get to know and not get attached to new people since they will be killed off. If we begin with Jason, then we have to come up with reasons for him to keep coming back...I don't think today's audience would go for lightning. 

6. If it can't be sustained for multiple seasons, then it must be a one-off. That wouldn't happen because they would have to put more money into a television show than a movie without it being a guaranteed moneymaker. Audiences would be skeptical of a F13th TV show, especially with the only point of reference being the show that came on nearly two decades ago and Scream/Slasher, both of which have performed poorly enough to not warrant a high enough budget. 

Yeah, I understand what you mean :/

I think a mini series could work. Have it take place almost in real time like 24. The events of the first movie happen over like...1 or 2 days? Idk. It looks nice in my head :)

1 hour ago, Donnie Deado said:

I think a mini series could work. Have it take place almost in real time like 24. The events of the first movie happen over like...1 or 2 days? Idk. It looks nice in my head :)

That's what I thought!

I've messed around with ideas like that, like a series that follows a newcomer to the county visiting the neighboring town and locations. Delve into the lore of the lake without getting too silly or something. Brings stuff like Twin Peaks to mind. 

1 minute ago, Handmaid Warrior said:

I've messed around with ideas like that, like a series that follows a newcomer to the county visiting the neighboring town and locations. Delve into the lore of the lake without getting too silly or something. Brings stuff like Twin Peaks to mind. 

So you want a series like that?

2 minutes ago, ervinduchrow said:

So you want a series like that?

Well not as out there, but I could actually see the quirky characters of the franchise being represented in a similar light. An old script I played around with once involved a fan of paranormal phenomena investigating the region and piecing together the lore of Jason Voorhees, which included visiting rampage sites and familiar areas. My main problem is I wasn't sure how the locals would handle it, like would they shun mention of the incidents in the vein of Part VI, or treat it all gimmicky a la Jason Goes to Hell. I need to take another shot at that, it was pretty fun, although I prefer writing my own original stuff seeing as it's nowhere near as constraining.

2 minutes ago, Handmaid Warrior said:

Well not as out there, but I could actually see the quirky characters of the franchise being represented in a similar light. An old script I played around with once involved a fan of paranormal phenomena investigating the region and piecing together the lore of Jason Voorhees, which included visiting rampage sites and familiar areas. My main problem is I wasn't sure how the locals would handle it, like would they shun mention of the incidents in the vein of Part VI, or treat it all gimmicky a la Jason Goes to Hell. I need to take another shot at that, it was pretty fun, although I prefer writing my own original stuff seeing as it's nowhere near as constraining.

Sounds cool. Can I take a look at your script?

Just now, ervinduchrow said:

Sounds cool. Can I take a look at your script?

I trashed a bunch of my writing years ago but if I ever make a second draft I'll post a google docs link for it. :) I'd love to have a fellow fan take a gander. 

1 minute ago, Handmaid Warrior said:

I trashed a bunch of my writing years ago but if I ever make a second draft I'll post a google docs link for it. :) I'd love to have a fellow fan take a gander. 

Yeah me too! :D If you are interested in writing something in the near future please write me a message! :D

"Friday the 13th: The Franchise fansite caught up with creator Sean S. Cunningham during New Jersey’s Monster-Mania convention, who dropped some new details.

The site reports that Cunningham has “confirmed interest from The CW in regards to pickup for the TV show.” He reportedly said that the basic premise of the series will focus on the “REAL” city of Crystal Lake and the effect that the serialized films had on its “real life” counterpart. This allows them to reimagine Jason in a more grounded reality, as the films would be based off the real life killings that took place at the Camp (which was inspired by Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco in Blairstown, New Jersey) with both the hockey-masked Jason and a more serious backwoods-inspired killer making appearances throughout. A very Meta approach, if you will."

Wow. I somehow completely missed that this was what the CW show was planning on doing.

I'm not inherently opposed to a FRIDAY THE 13TH television series - there are ways that I think it could work - but this sounds really, really bad.

Like someone announcing a new, ongoing A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET TV series, but giving us a WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE one instead. 

(And I say that as someone who really rather likes WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE.)

The problem with this is, beyond any ambition of it being simply fan fiction, there's absolutely no way anyone would read a spec script based on someone else's i.p. If you take away the i.p., you're not left with a compelling concept to get anyone's attention in Hollywood.

But if you want to break into Hollywood, having a low-budget, contained horror/thriller with a unique hook is a good way to get a lit manager's attention. That's my advice to anyone on here who seriously wants to become a screenwriter. But your idea better not be derivative, and it better have some surprises, and your voice needs to be ironed out. If you've only written a few scripts on your own and have no real experience in this area, then you're not ready to submit anything to anyone.

Also keep in mind that the spec market right now is very, very hard to break into. Most of the time a good spec will serve as your calling card, and you might generate interest for a lit manager to hip pocket you, or maybe a producer to pull you onboard some project he (or she) has stewing.

On a side note, I'm very glad Paramount axed this reboot sequel. I was not impressed with 2009's attempt, and have not been reassured by the rumors of Platinum Dunes' overall direction for this franchise.

I was so hyped for the scream series and then I realized ghost face wasn't in but then I heard he will be so I gave it a chance and watched season 1.

I tried to get into season 2 but... idk... it works as a movie but not a series.

I feel f13 would be the same.

1 hour ago, Seeker said:

I was so hyped for the scream series and then I realized ghost face wasn't in but then I heard he will be so I gave it a chance and watched season 1.

I tried to get into season 2 but... idk... it works as a movie but not a series.

I feel f13 would be the same.

The SCREAM TV series had a lot to overcome once it was announced that it wouldn't tie into the films at all, and I don't feel that it ever did. 

I gave it a chance after the lackluster first season, because the ending left things open to get interesting, but in the second season it felt like they ignored every single possibly interesting idea that they could have run with and just took the most unsatisfying and predictable path instead.

I didn't even bother with the Halloween special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RKSDooM said:

The SCREAM TV series had a lot to overcome once it was announced that it wouldn't tie into the films at all, and I don't feel that it ever did. 

I gave it a chance after the lackluster first season, because the ending left things open to get interesting, but in the second season it felt like they ignored every single possibly interesting idea that they could have run with and just took the most unsatisfying and predictable path instead.

I didn't even bother with the Halloween special.

Yeah, it was in the wrong hands on the wrong network. That is mostly what it boils down to. Slasher is slightly(only slightly) better because they actually killed people in not so nice ways. But it suffers from no budget leading to bad acting and writing where you only care about the kills. Maybe the second season of it will learn from the first's mistakes, but I am not holding my breath.

Harper's Island seems to have come the closest to nailing the formula for a TV series and that was around a decade ago(?). It was fun for what it was. That was a case of bad timing and also being on the wrong network, even though they did get creative with the deaths.