Hello fellow Horror fans/Jason fans!

So asking the question so I can get to know more people and share my own memories: When and How did your "relationship" with Jason/Friday the 13th begin?

As for myself? -- I must have only been 4 maybe 5 years old when I first saw a Friday the 13th movie.

I can't remember which movie I saw first.

I might have seen multiple movies in the series and I may have seen multiple entries more than once, but there was one scene burned into my young mind.

In Part 3, when the survivor girl is dreaming that she's in the lake in the boat and she looks over at the house and you can see Jason in the window, his face scared the hell outta me. The worst part came when he came bursting out of the house tearing down that door and charging after her. I got the horrible sense of being chased. As a kid it was terrifying.

Unfortunately, I also had really bad Night Terrors. I would always dream that I was being chased in the woods! It was always night time and I remember that there were wood cabins but they were always empty. Not just no people, but no furniture or rugs, nothing. Just wood cabins. Funny enough I never actually dreamed about Jason, just the woods at night and I had the horrible feeling I was being chased.

In these nightmares/night terrors I sometimes would try and make sense of why it was happening, I would find a corner to hid in and then I would talk to myself and I would ask myself: "How did I get here?" I would start to retrace my steps from when I woke up that day, all the way to dinner time, and finally I would realize that I was asleep, I WAS DREAMING!!?? It's funny because if now-a-days if I'm dreaming and inside my dream I realize I'm asleep I just wake up immediately, ha ha, it's weird. So how I didn't wake up back then as a kid, I have no idea. However, it was much worse than that.

I can remember multiple night terrors I had where I would realize I was dreaming, but the problem was that I couldn't wake up! I was stuck in a nightmare, running through the woods at night all alone and being chased but never being caught! It was maddening.

To wake myself up became something of a chore, when the night terrors first started I could just run into a wall and I would wake up! Ha ha, funny right? I mean, imagine that! Like what if you saw a child doing that in real life? Just charging at a wall as hard as he could. Funny as it is, eventually as the nightmares continued, running at walls stopped working. I became numb to it, I had to start getting creative. Sometimes, if I could find a ledge or if I could somehow find a way to jump downwards, that sensation of falling would wake me up, but even that stopped working after a while.

Now, I wasn't just running through the woods in my dreams silently. i was yelling and crying. I would yell for my mom. I would scream as loud as I could for my mom. It sounds silly now but I was only 5, what do you expect a kid to do? Ya know? Yell for mom. I recall times in these nightmares when I would yell so loud I would wake myself up because I could actually hear myself screaming in real life. If the running into walls, or jumping off ledges didn't work, my last ditch effort to wake myself up was the screaming.

There were times when I couldn't wake up, and I would find a corner to sit in and cry and wait...

Thankfully, these night terrors did stop. I don't remember why or how they stopped, maybe it's just something young kids go through but looking back now I wish I knew more about it. Maybe I could have actually had like lucid dreams where I could have controlled things, you know? Kinda like Inception(good movie)! Ha ha.

I have these memories and maybe I have gotten a bit off topic but I wanted to share them and my thoughts.

Keep in mind, I LOVE Friday the 13th and every sequel in the series, as long as Jason is in it(so not part 5)! Having these nightmares didn't make me stop watching horror movies and surprisingly my night terrors didn't persuade my parents to stop me from watching horror movies either(probably not good parenting, ha ha)!

Again, I just wanted to share a bit of my childhood.

So, let me know about your first time watching Friday the 13th and what kind of effects it may or may not have had on you. What's your favorite sequel?

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Great post! 

I was probably 4 or 5 years old in a video store with my mom and brother. I was always attracted to horror movies, and the terrifying covers for the Friday the 13th films really caught my attention. Later, I was allowed to play the game on NES, which at the time I thought was amazing. On that note, I'd discourage anyone from revisiting the old game as it puts a bit of a damper on what I thought were great gaming memories :P

Later, I was allowed to watch the movies on Halloween night and the rest is history. When I learned that this game was in development, it really rekindled my interest and I plan to binge watch the movies in the very near future.

I used to have similar night terrors as OP except moreso about scenes from sesame street and ghost busters.. Anyone recall charlie chaplin (or a look-alike) start moving around and walking out of photographs? 

I'd have similar dreams about Jason and Freddy, but I was able to realize that they are fictional characters and that this must be a dream. It would then occur to me that I could recognize and even control certain things in my dreams, but sadly I would just wake up upon that realization. Thankfully, the chainsaw digging through my guts never really hurt.

:P

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum , that part of 3 is etched in my brain as well , him clawing at the window , then bursting through the door .

I loved your story , I use to dream about Jason as well , normally a bunch of people and I were in the woods or a cabin and I would get that feeling like when your being watched . Right then we would see Jason out the widow or he would start chopping through the door . 2 dreams I remember vividly were like that , they started in a cabin with a group of people and Jason started breaking the door apart with one of the forked shovels , like a pitch fork , but thick and more heavy duty . The door blasted a part and I jumped through a window to my left and raced to another building .

There was no door on this side of the building and I knew Jason would be on me in a matter of seconds so I climbed into the open window , grabbed a baseball bat and hid around the corner of the workshop . Jason came around the corner and I swung for the fences knocking him right to the ground , where I continued to continue my batting practice . I woke up smiling .

So , months later I had the same dream , He is busting through the door . I jump through the window , which is already broken and now it is winter time . I run to the workshop and climb in the window , grab the bat and wait around the corner . I am all fired up and ready . I have a split second thought , that he saw the snow knocked off the window seal and the footprints in the snow . I decide to relocate and as I start Jason comes around the corner . I swing and miss with the bat stumble a bit and Jason stabs the fork right in the face . Normally when I die in my dream I wake up , but instead I see the blood flowing over my face and filling my eyes from the fork that is still stuck in my face . Give it about 4 more seconds and I wake up ... I didn't have the big smile that was there the first time I had that dream .

Welcome again :) I look forward to playing together.

P.S. I guess they are called spading forks ... just googled it .

gdo120-3.jpg

• Like 1

I was 6 years old it was when AMC was called Monsterfest not fear fest and dad left tv on AMC and I walked in on the part where Tina in part 7 stumbles upon the bodies in the woods and has that vision of her mom being killed and then her using her powers against Jason with the power lines I asked dad who is thay and he said Jason he was scared I'd tell my mom I seen it but she didn't care cause everyone loves Jason and so I thought all horror movies were as good as the Jason movies (not exactly) so then I started watching them and then Freddy vs Jason came out that year coincidentally and I started writing my own Jason stories

My aunt was a big horror fan and had a huge collection. I started watching several F13 movies in order and that's how I met Jason. Those were my first horror movies and I loved them all. Yes, even the sillier ones like Part 8.

Never saw any of the movies since Nyktophobia (Fear of Darkness) is not the best thing to have when watching Horrormovies. but i always had a Love for Hockeymasks and Machete's...i guess. don't really know how i came to love Jason.

I'd heard about Jason Voorhees a little bit before, he's just that iconic, but I'd never seen any of the films.

Then I happened to catch Part VI on late-night tv sometime around the mid-nineties. Enjoyed it and, eventually, got round to seeing all the other films.

Haven't actually seen any of them in several years now, but I'm aiming to rectify that. Would've picked up the nice bluray collection already, but they're very limited and the price kinda skyrocketed after this game was announced.

Great Post! My obsession with Jason was more out of curiosity and his back story. I had just seen Friday the 13th at the drive in, I was like 10 or 11. At home I had a copy of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" with Jasons Mug as a boy on the cover, the detail was amazing, much better than what you see on film (even his teeth had seaweed in them!) So I had to read the column to find out about him, the pics were all there, off camera makeup, Tom Savini working on him. Etc. When part 3 came out, he reminded me of my disabled Uncle, and showed what a bad ass he was, from then on, he was my boy!

I too had a couple bouts of night terrors, mine was Michael Myers chasing me through a neighborhood, house to house, with Michael killing everyone we came across! Also of a giant killer Grizzly bear coming down stairs to the basement where I was hiding, all bloody, with my friends head in it's mouth!

I was 11 and Part III was playing on cable -- watched on the sly upstairs as my parents hosted a faculty dinner party downstairs (they used to have 30+ people down there...so it was easy  enough to be forgotten).

The part where the guy's head gets crushed and his eye pops out towards the screen freaked me the hell out. Felt kind of bad for him...as he wasn't nearly as annoying as the other counselors.

But the chubby prankster guy who got his throat slashed and bequeathed Jason his hockey mask......I was OK seeing him go.

After that, it was a matter of getting a friend's older brother (who worked at the video store) to let us view the first two on VHS.  I was more than hooked.

Being a tween and gettin' to see boob shots in between spectacularly gory kills......all the while knowing I'd be grounded if found out.....fantastic memories.

I'm pretty sure I picked up Jason Takes Manhattan at my local video store when I was like.... 4 or 5 years old.  LOL.  I've loved Jason ever since.