Brigadius

Underrated Horror Games

We did movies why not games.

1. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

2. Alice: Madness Returns

3. The Hidden

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

4 Pathfinder/D&D. I've seen some screwed up dark stuff there. Goblins chewing off people's faces, Hags kidnapping and eating children, Cthulhu and other Mythic horrors existing in the Bestiary.

If we are doing all games not just video games i will add "Betrayal at House on the Hill". Procedural game board, dozens of scenarios and monsters, lots of replayability.  

I'd like to recommend the following video games: Fatal Frame 2 (PS2/Xbox), Parasite Eve (PS1), Cold Fear (PS2/Xbox), Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (PS1/PC), Splatterhouse (PS3/360), Evil Dead: Regeneration (PS2/Xbox), Zombi U (Wii U), Until Dawn (PS4), Corpse Party (PSP,3DS) and it's sequel Corpse Party: Blood Drive (PS Vita), and White Night (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

• Like 1

Clive Barker's Undying is underrated although it didn't age well.

The first game in the Blood series is a nice horror answer to Duke Nukem 3D. It's been 20 years since the first Blood came out. You play as a resurrected cowboy type guy named Caleb who gets revenge on the cult that killed him and his friends. It takes place in 1928 but has modern technology like Tesla Cannons, Detonated Dynamite, Napalm Launcher, etc... It has a ton of nods to horror films and easter eggs. The soundtrack is creepy and you fight enemies like gargoyles, cultists and killer hands. It was also gory and bloody as you were able to decapitate zombies with gun shots and lots of bodies being strung up and dissected.

The second game went into a different direction into 100 years after Blood 1 in a metropolitan Blade Runner type as the defeated Cabal turns itself into a mega-corporation and deals in getting creautres from another dimension. Not as good as the first.

A Few classics and newer:

* Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
* I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
* Alan Wake & Alan Wake: American Nightmare
* Doom 3 (I don't care what they say, Doom 3 was better than 4. It had more horror atmosphere. Yes, the melee system of 4 was great but it failed on atmospheric horror)
* Clock Tower
*State of Decay (Fun zombie resource, build and survival horror game)
* Dead State (Think XCOM meets zombie apocalypse meshed with an RPG)
* Dino Crisis

To name a few off the top.

• Like 1

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth did so much right. It's unfortunate it suffered from bugs and running out of time & budget later on.

Isn't there another (unrelated) Call of Cthulhu game coming out this year? Heard good things about it.

17 hours ago, tav7623 said:

I'd like to recommend the following video games: Fatal Frame 2 (PS2/Xbox), Parasite Eve (PS1), Cold Fear (PS2/Xbox), Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (PS1/PC), Splatterhouse (PS3/360), Evil Dead: Regeneration (PS2/Xbox), Zombi U (Wii U), Until Dawn (PS4), Corpse Party (PSP,3DS) and it's sequel Corpse Party: Blood Drive (PS Vita), and White Night (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

The Splatterhouse remake was SO underrated. I personally loved it, and it also came with the arcade version of the original splatterhouse, PLUS the console sequels. I would also recommend the Manhunt series by Rockstar. Especially the first one.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2017 at 6:13 AM, DamonD7 said:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth did so much right. It's unfortunate it suffered from bugs and running out of time & budget later on.

Isn't there another (unrelated) Call of Cthulhu game coming out this year? Heard good things about it.

Yep.

http://www.callofcthulhu-game.com/

Myst

While not a horror game I found it kind of creepy. Don't think I ever beat it. Probably to complex for my child mind at the time also maybe why I found it ominous and creepy. 

I've got two mods to throw in.

Zombie Panic: Source

Zombie Master

Those were both glorious and underrated IMO.

Telltale's Walking Dead video games are raw. They get you attached to the characters and put you on an emotional rollercoaster. Also zombies.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Telltale's Walking Dead video games are raw. They get you attached to the characters and put you on an emotional rollercoaster. Also zombies.

I could not agree more. A damn roller coaster for sure!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

Certainly one of my favorites. I wouldn't count that as underrated though. That game has a ton of acclaim and earned every bit. I still need to get the new season.

I'm not sure if you've played their other game like that called A Wolf Among Us. I didn't try it for the longest time as I didn't think it would interest me. I had been missing out as it was every bit as well done as TWD and a very good story to boot. Great little fairy tell setting nor. But the fairy tale characters have moved to the real world and it has not worked out well for a lot of them. Quite sad but a good story none the less.

Just now, ShankerOne said:

Certainly one of my favorites. I wouldn't count that as underrated though. That game has a ton of acclaim and earned every bit. 

I'm not sure if you've played their other game like that called A Wolf Among Us. I didn't try it for the longest time but when I did it was every bit as well done and a very good story to boot. Great little fairy tell setting nor. But the fairy tale characters have moved to the real world and it has not worked out well for a lot of them. Quite sad but a good story none the less.

I've played Wolf Among Us. I think it may be my favorite out of them. (Batman, Walking Dead season 1, (halfway into season 2 now) and Fables are what I've played so far. Guardians f the Galaxy will be on the list once all 5 episodes drop) 

Bigby is a beast. Um. Pun wasn't intended but I'll roll with it. 

With that, If they would make a Daredevil game, I'd die a happy man. 

16 minutes ago, JPops said:

I could not agree more. A damn roller coaster for sure!

Yeah. I'm pretty cold on an emotional level and some of it still gave me the feels. It's a testament to their writers. 

• Like 1

Heheh, its funny I saw this( My Pic doe)... Im a huge Telltale fan, well at least for a few of their older games.. Not so much of a fan for the new ones. The Walking Dead season 1 will forever be the best game in my eyes that they made, but I liked Michonne and TWDGS2 as well.

1 hour ago, Risinggrave said:

I agree. I've never felt more protective of a video game character (Clementine) before.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 1:56 PM, Cobretti400 said:

The Splatterhouse remake was SO underrated. I personally loved it, and it also came with the arcade version of the original splatterhouse, PLUS the console sequels. I would also recommend the Manhunt series by Rockstar. Especially the first one.

Hell yeah Splatterhouse! That game is a bloody gem, literally. Jim Cummings is a riot too as the Terror Mask. XD 

Also kudos to those who threw out The Suffering and Clock Tower, absolutely adore those games. 

• Like 3

I'm going to be totally showcasing my old age here, but when I was in high school I played a text adventure called THE LURKING HORROR that I thought was just the best thing ever, at the time.

2 hours ago, RKSDooM said:

I'm going to be totally showcasing my old age here, but when I was in high school I played a text adventure called THE LURKING HORROR that I thought was just the best thing ever, at the time.

Haha, I'll resist the urge to call you gramps, but seriously, that game sounds rad.

Zombie Panic!: Source, particularly back during its heyday, was an amazing title and community.