Sign in to follow this  
final_guy

My Super Psycho Sweet 16

My spouse isn't into any kind of horror movies, so I really only get to sneak them in during "midnight showings" on weekend nights at home with my bulldog (who is a night owl also).  Since I don't have time to binge on all things horror, I've developed very particular tastes.  I'm really into slasher movies made in the past 10 years.  With the advent of streaming services (and recommendation engines within said streaming services), I find myself hunting for diamonds (or, rather, semi-precious gemstones) in the rough.

I wasn't expecting much from "My Super Psycho Sweet 16" since it was a Made-for-MTV movie from 2009.  But MTV's recent success in pulling of the Scream TV series made me give them benefit of the doubt.  Well, it was a fun watch.  Good character development (similar to the Scream TV series).  Elements of Mean Girls.  And taking place at a Roller Rink!  There is about a 30-minute lull without any killings, but I guess that helps with the aforementioned character development.

Apparently, it's a trilogy.  I think I know what's next on the queue for my bulldog and I....

my_super_psycho_sweet_16_05.jpg

Huh! For some reason I never heard of this, but thanks for the heads up. That killer in the pic reminds me of how my best friend described his fantasy threads if he was a killer. Heh. "If."

Yeah I heard about this series. Seems interesting, but probably not near the top of my list. And trust me, my backlog of slasher movies I need to watch is already way too long

I managed to get through the whole trilogy.

Part 2 was a bit meh, since it did that whole sequel trope of "Let's add more relations to the killer's family".  At least with Friday the 13th, they waited until Part 9.   Then it basically followed the winning formula of killer at a massively big teenage party, so it redeemed itself a bit.

Part 3 felt a bit like Scream 3.  It was definitely my least favorite.

So I used to dislike the fact that Friday the 13th had no Final Girl continuity (except poor Alice coming back in Part 2 just to get skewered in the head).  Then Scream happened and I was kinda getting sick of the Sidney Prescott soap opera by Scream 3.  I feel like slasher movies lose some of the Final Girl magic when they try to add incrementally more depth to her relationship with the killer in each sequel.  Halloween 1,2,20 struck a good balance with Laurie Strode in that you share her progression but Michael's story was still the same ol' same ol'.

I've seen the first two. I really liked the first one. It includes one of my all-time favourite slasher movie death scenes, with the roller skates and the sushi cake. It has to be seen to be believed.