I'm gonna hop straight to the point.

How long are the servers gonna be up for? Without them this game will be pointless.

We discussed a while ago just how much it is for the servers to stay online for just a year (I believe it was over two million?). So what happens if the game flops, or it is successful but the player base dies quickly. maybe 2-3 years down the road they shut off the servers because its not financially rewarding to keep supporting the game.

Sure we'll still have the SP, but who really bought this game solely for the SP?

And yes I know this is something we really don't have to worry about. At least right now. But hypothetical questions never hurt.

Quick question: If the dedicated servers are offline. Would we still be able to join in private matches? Something tells me we can, but i don't know this for sure.

Even without servers you will be able to play, whether it's single player, private matches or LAN. That said I still don't see the servers going down anytime soon.

• Like 3

This is part of why I was happy to see single player added. I know it's not the same but at least some form of the game will be playable after the servers die.

4 minutes ago, DEATH said:

Even without servers you will be able to play, whether it's single player, private matches or LAN. That said I still don't see the servers going down anytime soon.

Does that apply to consoles also? If the servers went down you could still make a private match with a group because you're the host, right?

3 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

This is part of why I was happy to see single player added. I know it's not the same but at least some form of the game will be playable after the servers die.

Does that apply to consoles also? If the servers went down you could still make a private match with a group because you're the host, right?

That I'm not 100% on because I don't know if private matches on console are still P2P, but if they are then I'd imagine so.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I don't often buy into multiplayer based games.

I figured with F13 that I liked the source material and was going to make an exception. I'm looking at it like summer camp (the place, not the game) You only go for a limited time, and you enjoy the hell out of it. You look back fondly on the experience even decades later. 

Even if the worst were to happen you can still go and muse about that summer you ducked machete's axes and got to punch people's heads off as Jason. 

With that said, Gun believes the game is sustainable so I'm not going to worry about it when I have more pressing matters, like getting my leg out of a bear trap. 

• Like 5

Not trying to spread toxic waste from the sewers,but I started to worry about this after the whole "streamers first" mini controversy popped up and it was defended with "we need new players to make this a success." I'm not sure what constitutes this game as a success. I've always read the plan was no sequel,but to build upon this game in the future. Before,I used to think even a small community could keep this game alive,but if the server costs outweigh the size of the community,when is the plug pulled?

Good to know private matches will stick around.

The game will be a success. Sure of that. There's an appetite for it. If Dead By Daylight can be a success - with F13 being a better game and having the license - they'll blow DBD out of the water. 

A lot of my mates who aren't horror fans, but grew up knowing "Jason" and "Friday the 13th" in the 80's are interested but are putting their foot on the brakes until they play it around mine. "If we like playing it, we'll get it" is the genuine thought process of everyone I know. It's reasonably priced, which makes a difference as well - when some of them have wives who control the purse strings. :) You're talking about a bunch of guys who only buy 1 or sometimes 2 games a year. If they have fun on a night with beer and the lads playing it...they'll buy it for sure. That's a massive customer demographic right there which spans all the sales areas. If it's fun...that's when sales will start booming through "word of mouth"..."or playing it around a buddy's house with a few beers and enjoying it" to have a more modern, gaming take on the old saying.  

It is fun. It's got a bit of everything - I have no doubt it will be a massive success. Nothing lasts forever - but I think PC will always have a home for it in over ten years (when PS4 is outdated), I was still playing 2001's Aliens Vs Predator on PC about 5 years ago! After buying every incarnation of that series since.

To echo BewareOfBears, glad single player was implemented - people still play NES F13 (though I've never been a fan), I'll be probably be playing F13 2017 with my Grandkids and getting told off by my Son/Daughter for letting them play "that bloody game again!".   

• Like 4

If the servers go down the game just gets turned to peer to peer servers. Not that big of a deal at all actually.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kangle said:

Hopefully DLC sales will go a long way to support the game and keep the servers going.

Think that's the beauty of the license. It will give the game longevity. There's die-hards that will buy everything (me included). But I think it's the reason a Manhattan/Lazarus map(s) could be a masterstroke down the line for DLC. The mainstream gamer might get a little bored of a camp ground setting all the time if he/she loves gaming but isn't necessarily a F-13 fan - add city and boat maps, then their interest is reinvigorated and spiked. Us F-13 fans in our tens of thousands would say "Dammmnnn....this map looks just like the boat from Part VIII, it has the sauna, it even has the boxing room etc etc!" Whereas the hundreds of thousands who will likely buy and play the game, some who maybe wouldn't have even seen the films, who are equally as important to the game's future as we are, would say "Man...you gotta come online tonight...they added a boat map and a city map!" It's textbook what my friends would say! They would have no idea what the Lazarus is, but would buy a new "arena" to play in :) I judge the wider spectrum of gaming interests on my friends, as I said - people that don't play games that much, don't know all the finer details of the source material but are easily enticed by something a little different.

Your mainstream gamer will probably not be enticed to buy a new map with some new houses on it (Jarvis house) - but give them something completely different, "warm" the game back up to them with a new "arena" to play in...and it's another sale.  

• Like 2

Consoles don't have this issue anymore I believe as all games servers are hosted on PlayStation and Microsoft servers.

this was an issue last gen with the PS3 because it wasn't like that. Now with ps+ subscriptions servers stay up.

Let's get the game out first and then iron out the details down the road ;)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Splatterhouse said:

The game will be a success. Sure of that. There's an appetite for it. If Dead By Daylight can be a success - with F13 being a better game and having the license - they'll blow DBD out of the water. 

A lot of my mates who aren't horror fans, but grew up knowing "Jason" and "Friday the 13th" in the 80's are interested but are putting their foot on the brakes until they play it around mine. "If we like playing it, we'll get it" is the genuine thought process of everyone I know. It's reasonably priced, which makes a difference as well - when some of them have wives who control the purse strings. :) You're talking about a bunch of guys who only buy 1 or sometimes 2 games a year. If they have fun on a night with beer and the lads playing it...they'll buy it for sure. That's a massive customer demographic right there which spans all the sales areas. If it's fun...that's when sales will start booming through "word of mouth"..."or playing it around a buddy's house with a few beers and enjoying it" to have a more modern, gaming take on the old saying.  

It is fun. It's got a bit of everything - I have no doubt it will be a massive success. Nothing lasts forever - but I think PC will always have a home for it in over ten years (when PS4 is outdated), I was still playing 2001's Aliens Vs Predator on PC about 5 years ago! After buying every incarnation of that series since.

To echo BewareOfBears, glad single player was implemented - people still play NES F13 (though I've never been a fan), I'll be probably be playing F13 2017 with my Grandkids and getting told off by my Son/Daughter for letting them play "that bloody game again!".   

I'm already buying a few copies when its available in the Xbox store to give to a few close friends as they either can't afford it, or their old gals won't let em buy it.

2 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

I'm gonna hop straight to the point.

How long are the servers gonna be up for? Without them this game will be pointless.

We discussed a while ago just how much it is for the servers to stay online for just a year (I believe it was over two million?). So what happens if the game flops, or it is successful but the player base dies quickly. maybe 2-3 years down the road they shut off the servers because its not financially rewarding to keep supporting the game.

Sure we'll still have the SP, but who really bought this game solely for the SP?

And yes I know this is something we really don't have to worry about. At least right now. But hypothetical questions never hurt.

Quick question: If the dedicated servers are offline. Would we still be able to join in private matches? Something tells me we can, but i don't know this for sure.

Hell if enough people were willing they (the devs) could start a go fund me account to take donations for the dedicated community to contribute to keep the servers up. I would be willing to set aside $200 a month possibly more to keep it going as long as it could.

• Like 1

Just now, RandallFlagg said:

Hell if enough people were willing they (the devs) could start a go fund me account to take donations for the dedicated community to contribute to keep the servers up. I would be willing to set aside $200 a month possibly more to keep it going as long as it could.

I assume they would get some shit for that though. I can already see the comments of "Gun is the gofundme of devs" since they kinda had two already (kickstarter and backerkit). 

But i'd be willing to "donate" to keep the servers alive for a while longer. as long as they're straight forward about it.

Lol well it being a project of love I'm sure the devs like me could care less what people think, and even if they do I would be willing to handle setting it up and even seek out private investors. Don't know how successful it would be but I can be very persistent.

22 minutes ago, JPops said:

Why did I see this in my head? :lol:

• Like 3

Think of it this way: Halo 2 Vista had "multiplayer servers" for years and years, and that game didn't even have dedicated servers. It was peer-to-peer. It was only 1 or 2 years ago that he Halo 2 Vista servers were finally shut down so that matchmaking was completely kaput in its entirety.

While it can be certain that this game will not have dedicated servers forever, certainly peer-to-peer servers will remain simply to keep matchmaking functional will still be around until this game is "abandoned." Even if Gun Media and Illfonic ultimatley move on or go under, they can pass the matchmaking reigns off to another company just to keep the game functional if the worst happens.

1 hour ago, JPops said:

I can't believe I am saying this, but I am with JPops. Can we just let the game be released and play it first before riding around on our bike telling anyone that will listen, "The servers have a death curse!"

1 hour ago, JPops said:

21 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

I can't believe I am saying this, but I am with JPops. Can we just let the game be released and play it first before riding around on our bike telling anyone that will listen, "The servers have a death curse!"

I'm a details kinda guy ;)

2 million dollars a year for servers? What on earth makes them so expensive? That price quote seems suspect.

If Dead by Daylight can last as long as it has, I wouldn't worry about Friday the 13th.

I think this game is gonna blow up once release hits and people start watching on twitch / youtube...A LOT of people still don't even seem to know about this game. I work with a bunch of gamers...they didn't even know this was coming out.

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

If Dead by Daylight can last as long as it has, I wouldn't worry about Friday the 13th.

I think this game is gonna blow up once release hits and people start watching on twitch / youtube...A LOT of people still don't even seem to know about this game. I work with a bunch of gamers...they didn't even know this was coming out.

With all the social media   the only way people don't know about the game is if they are living under a rock

Just now, anthonymorales said:

With all the social media   the only way people don't know about the game is if they are living under a rock

Nope.

You'd only know about this game if you follow F13 related social media. There's been very little coverage from gaming outlets...(IGN, Gamespot, etc)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

Nope.

You'd only know about this game if you follow F13 related social media. There's been very little coverage from gaming outlets...(IGN, Gamespot, etc)

Maybe