Sign in to follow this  
deadpaww

Angryjoe reviewing F13!

Yes! I'm not sure how many people here know Angryjoe but he is by far my most favorite video game reviewer out there. He's super realistic, he's fair, and credible. He said he will be reviewing F13 and I am so hype. He has a big following and man, if he reviews this game well it's going to help it even more.

It's an accomplishment for this game to be reviewed by him, imo. I'm excited to see what he says.

• Like 1

Just now, deadpaww said:

Yes! I'm not sure how many people here know Angryjoe but he is by far my most favorite video game reviewer out there. He's super realistic, he's fair, and credible. He said he will be reviewing F13 and I am so hype. He has a big following and man, if he reviews this game well it's going to help it even more.

It's an accomplishment for this game to be reviewed by him, imo. I'm excited to see what he says.

Agreed.

Eh. I find him to be pretty biased. And it reflects upon his scores. Then again he's a drop of water in a sea of youtubers so i'm more or less indifferent to his existence.

That being said i'm biased myself against youtube reviews. It's hard to find someone i consistently agree with. If anything i stick to Easy allies or something. Not because i necessarily agree with all their views, but the reviews themselves provide a solid baseline for what i will enjoy. Much like back when they were gametrailers. Any game with the score 7 was something i knew i could shut my brain off for a while and just have fun with, without having bugs or bad story bother me. Like a musou game, or something else you'd just play for a while just because.

11 minutes ago, Sanetsuken said:

Eh. I find him to be pretty biased. And it reflects upon his scores. Then again he's a drop of water in a sea of youtubers so i'm more or less indifferent to his existence.

That being said i'm biased myself against youtube reviews. It's hard to find someone i consistently agree with. If anything i stick to Easy allies or something. Not because i necessarily agree with all their views, but the reviews themselves provide a solid baseline for what i will enjoy. Much like back when they were gametrailers. Any game with the score 7 was something i knew i could shut my brain off for a while and just have fun with, without having bugs or bad story bother me. Like a musou game, or something else you'd just play for a while just because.

What makes you think he's biased?

7 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

It's obvious he has a video game bias, the man will pass over perfectly good movies to review some game that came out! Lol

Dropped a comment about this in a thread earlier. I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts. Biased is the last thing I would call Angry Joe,and his tell it like it is attitude in regards to game reviews is wayyyy refreshing these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, macoman1 said:

It's obvious he has a video game bias, the man will pass over perfectly good movies to review some game that came out! Lol

Well...he has preference, sure. When you say bias, it's basically saying his reviews are biased in score which they aren't. He has bashed games from franchises he loves. Also he can't review everything.

He's not biased in reviews like at all. Angryjoe got nominated for a pretty big youtuber reward btw, beaten by Boogie.

23 minutes ago, Sanetsuken said:

Then again he's a drop of water in a sea of youtubers so i'm more or less indifferent to his existence.

Well,he's a pretty big drop of water with 2.7 million subs. 

15 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

There was one particulary jarring thing to me, but i don't have the link on hand atm. I'll get back to you on that. That being said i know he's predisposed against certain types of gameplay features, like invisible walls. Which is fair and all, but i feel it impacts score more than it should for what is basically a platform restriction. It's not like devs do that shit by choice, y'know? well it is a choice, but a forced one. Anyways as said i'll come back to you once i find the examples i speak of.

3 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

Well,he's a pretty big drop of water with 2.7 million subs. 

Bro, with all due respect, if i were to judge a youtuber by sub numbers alone, i'd be watching nothing but pewdiepie, and i don't listen to that man for a single second more than i absolutely have to. And by "have to" i mean "friend is watching on his computer and i happen to overhear some of it".

That's not to say that i think he sucks, but pewdiepie is so not my cup of tea.

Also for clarification by "drop of water" i mean "there's a shitload of youtubers". It's so low effort and easy access to make yourself a "youtuber". Props to those who manage to live off of it though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sanetsuken said:

Bro, with all due respect, if i were to judge a youtuber by sub numbers alone, i'd be watching nothing but pewdiepie, and i don't listen to that man for a single second more than i absolutely have to. And by "have to" i mean "friend is watching on his computer and i happen to overhear some of it".

That's not to say that i think he sucks, but pewdiepie is so not my cup of tea.

Also for clarification by "drop of water" i mean "there's a shitload of youtubers". It's so low effort and easy access to make yourself a "youtuber". Props to those who manage to live off of it though.

I understand what you mean. Regardless of if you agree with him or not (or even the cancer that is pukiepie),he's of a higher tier. I just mean in the grand scheme of things for the game,Angry Joe possibly promoting it means a lot more than the shitload of youtubers out there that jumped on the F13 train. Joe has influence beyond a handful of diehard Friday fans.

• Like 1

Just now, thatdudescott said:

I understand what you mean. Regardless of if you agree with him or not (or even the cancer that is pukiepie),he's of a higher tier. I just mean in the grand scheme of things for the game,Angry Joe possibly promoting it means a lot more than the shitload of youtubers out there that jumped on the F13 train.

i find the premise of "1 big channel will mean many more fans" flawed for two major reasons.

1. A fan of something will actively seek out information about that something himself. A guy that loves Nightwish will stay up to date about the music they release, where they're gonna play live, maybe even fan-art, partake in discussion around the band and so forth. I've been playing games my entire life, i pay attention to literally every release (that i can understand) and judge wether or not i want it. There's been VERY FEW cases where i accidentally found a hidden gem online due to it flying under the radar. A fan of F13 will undoubtedly find out about this game existing, and if they do, they're already set to get it, or they'll appreciate the novelty but will ultimately pass because videogames is not something they are into.

2. Angry Joe and his fans are not a major impact by themselves. You can't work with the premise that each and every one of the fans will run out and buy it at his will. Also, hundreds of smaller channels banded together will undoubtly by themselves come close to 1 "big" youtuber. That's not a guarantee, but if you take 1 small channel at approx 10k+ subs, and one big channel at 1mil+ subs, you suddenly have a small gap to work with. 100 small channels now equate to one big channel, and even if the smaller channels don't add up to it, it suddenly reached a more diverse audience than angry joe can hope to get to. That's not because of lack of skill or charisma, but because 100 channels can mean 100 personalities, while angry joe is....angry joe.

4 minutes ago, Sanetsuken said:

i find the premise of "1 big channel will mean many more fans" flawed for two major reasons.

2. Angry Joe and his fans are not a major impact by themselves. You can't work with the premise that each and every one of the fans will run out and buy it at his will. Also, hundreds of smaller channels banded together will undoubtly by themselves come close to 1 "big" youtuber. That's not a guarantee, but if you take 1 small channel at approx 10k+ subs, and one big channel at 1mil+ subs, you suddenly have a small gap to work with. 100 small channels now equate to one big channel, and even if the smaller channels don't add up to it, it suddenly reached a more diverse audience than angry joe can hope to get to. That's not because of lack of skill or charisma, but because 100 channels can mean 100 personalities, while angry joe is....angry joe.

Well sure.....100 small channels can be equivalent to one big one...but you really think 100 channels with 10k subs will catch onto this game just like that? 

Angryjoe has 2,790,417 subscribes. 2,790,417. His channel can reach up to 2 million + people, way quicker than it would take 100 10k channels to do because first they have to catch onto the game and I bet if you look at F13 fans, most don't have 10k subscribes but there are some, yeah. I doubt 100 with 10k right now.

It's a really really easy concept. One big channel reaching 2 million people, sure not EVERYONE is going to buy F13 because of Joe but when you look at the percentages? out of 2 MILLION people...say only 20% pick up F13....that's 400,000 people. Now....say 20% of a 10k picks up F13, that's 2000 people. Now you say 100 channels with 10k right? Not everyone is going to pick up F13 for them either, so lets compare 20% of subscribers, which is a far number, if not too low, picking up F13.

Joe - 20% of his 2 million subscribers = 400,000 people buying F13

Smaller channels - 20% of 10k subscribers = 2,000 people buying F13

100 smaller channels (10k subscribers) - 100 x 2000 people = 200,000 people.

So 100 10k channels with 20% of their base picking up F13, equals only half of Joe's 20%. It is not a hard concept to know that one big channel has the bigger impact. I bet if you ask these devs if they want big channels to review the game, they will want it. Why? Because they have influence, rep, and they can reach millions of people quicker than smaller channels. 

6 minutes ago, Sanetsuken said:

1. A fan of something will actively seek out information about that something himself.

Agreed. Which is why I believe that a lot of the people who are following the channels dedicated to F13th and the streamers who pop in here, have either backed,or purchased the game already. If you are a gamer and a Friday fan,gun probably already has your money,as you pretty much stated as well.

There's been VERY FEW cases where i accidentally found a hidden gem online

That's dealing with your personal experiences and not reflective of other gamers. I actually have "slept" on a few game releases until I caught a video review or something of that nature on youtube that made me purchase said game. It happened to me a few hours ago with NBA Playgrounds lol.

2. Angry Joe and his fans are not a major impact by themselves. 

They aren't,but it doesn't hurt. And not just Angry Joe but the other top tier tubers. Again,I would bet that the people tuning in for Laphin's Cabin chats already purchased the game. It seems like a fun hangout for other Friday fans,but is it really spreading brand awareness to anyone who isn't a diehard Friday fan? 3,000 eyes on your video is a lot different than over 1 million. I just feel that someone like Angry Joe has a greater chance of hooking more mainstream eyes. Because when it comes down to it,no matter how much we love it,Friday The 13th in general is pretty niche. If Angry Joe gives this game a high score,people will literally buy it. Non-Friday fans,who follow Joe's word as law and who wouldn't give it a chance might jump in because of the competitive nature of multiplayer. Suddenly we have more people on the servers. 

20 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

Well sure.....100 small channels can be equivalent to one big one...but you really think 100 channels with 10k subs will catch onto this game just like that? 

Well....yes? it's not like the game is only avaliable to those privy to industry secrets? But my point was more in the interest of spreading out interest for the game potentially, you'd ultimately reach more people through more channels than with 1 big one. AS FAST? Maybe not, but in the long run absolutely. And i'm not thinking long run as in 10 years down the line obviously.

Angryjoe has 2,790,417 subscribes. 2,790,417. His channel can reach up to 2 million + people, way quicker than it would take 100 10k channels to do because first they have to catch onto the game and I bet if you look at F13 fans, most don't have 10k subscribes but there are some, yeah. I doubt 100 with 10k right now.

You don't take into account the inherent interest of a fan. Look at angryjoes views right now. He has reviewed outlast (1.1 million), Mass effect andromeda (2,1 million), yakuza zero (game of the fucking year by the way) with 1.3 million views and so forth. THen you got a titan game like battlefield with 3+ million views. This tells everyone that even if you are a fan, you won't necessarily watch a review about a game you don't inherently have an interest in or already know you'll get. That won't change unless you are at the most basic curious about what the game is about. Now, from looking at the current reviews right now, most games are at around 1.5 million. This is barring stuff like playstation VR or battlefield which are underwhelmingly and overwhelmingly popular by their own right. Still a lofty goal, but well within reach if you compare it to many smaller channels.

It's a really really easy concept. One big channel reaching 2 million people, sure not EVERYONE is going to buy F13 because of Joe but when you look at the percentages? out of 2 MILLION people...say only 20% pick up F13....that's 400,000 people. Now....say 20% of a 10k picks up F13, that's 2000 people. Now you say 100 channels with 10k right? Not everyone is going to pick up F13 for them either, so lets compare 20% of subscribers, which is a far number, if not too low, picking up F13.

I mean sure if we're only working off hypotheticals and a set 20% flat percentage then it's obvious, but again i said many smalller channels. Also while 20% isn't that far fetched as a hypothetical for a variety youtuber, that number might rise to 80% for a dedicated horror game channel where the fanbase is set in stone and know what they'll like.

21 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

It is not a hard concept to know that one big channel has the bigger impact

Short term? Sure. Long term? Doubtful.

19 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

That's dealing with your personal experiences and not reflective of other gamers. I actually have "slept" on a few game releases until I caught a video review or something of that nature on youtube that made me purchase said game. It happened to me a few hours ago with NBA Playgrounds lol.

You can't say it's dealing with personal experience and not reflective of others, then use your own personal experience as to why that isn't.

And of course i use personal experience, i'm not a statistician

19 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

Because when it comes down to it,no matter how much we love it,Friday The 13th in general is pretty niche. If Angry Joe gives this game a high score,people will literally buy it. Non-Friday fans,who follow Joe's word as law and who wouldn't give it a chance might jump in because of the competitive nature of multiplayer. Suddenly we have more people on the servers. 

That's a big if. I'd still say you won't fish in more players just by virtue of showing it. The crux of the matter is exposing players to the existence, after that angry joe, or you, or myself, or jpops, or ben will be able to do anything about it. If a player doesn't like a genre, or a particular series, or the competitive aspect (as it's still pretty unique today despite a few attempts at it already) They simply won't buy.

I don't mean to shit on angry joe or any other youtube reviewer out there. and i'll admit first hand that i'm biased against them due to how low effort it is, but i want to be clear that i'd welcome any new fans to the game. I wasn't a big fan of friday the 13th before i rediscovered it through this game, what i AM a big fan of is this kind of gameplay where you can finally be the "monster". And if angry joe brings just a few more into the ranks, sure i'll be happy about that. But i think youtubers are seriously overestimated in what they do, and i feel it's wrongful guidance to assume that just because he'll review it, there's going to be hordes of people jumping for it.

Now that might sound hypocritical with my "smaller channels" argument, but the point was more that you'd bring more attention from more directions that way instead of just fans of angry joe. That being said i know for sure there's gonna be a shitload of reviews and whatever once the game is finally out anyways from fucken....everyone online and i'm looking forward to what people have to say. I just don't think they're in any capacity to be considered an authority in the end. A fan will get the game, and people that don't like it simply won't. And youtube won't change that.

But i think youtubers are seriously overestimated in what they do

Yes.

We disagree but on this we totally agree.

1 hour ago, deadpaww said:

Well...he has preference, sure. When you say bias, it's basically saying his reviews are biased in score which they aren't. He has bashed games from franchises he loves. Also he can't review everything.

He's not biased in reviews like at all. Angryjoe got nominated for a pretty big youtuber reward btw, beaten by Boogie.

I was joking friendo, hence the "lol" at the end

Just now, macoman1 said:

I was joking friendo, hence the "lol" at the end

oh, well good xD It was hard to tell

21 minutes ago, deadpaww said:

oh, well good xD It was hard to tell

Yeah don't worry, I'm not crazy enough to expect him to actually do everything. I watch his reviews from time to time.

Personally can't stand the guy. His videos are super obnoxious and annoying and listening to him scream all the time isn't my idea of entertaining. Any streamer who yells, screams or is otherwise obnoxiously loud is an instant turn off for me. Which is why I don't watch a lot of streamers in general because most of them do this as their 'personality' (Fun Fact: If yelling and screaming and otherwise being obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious is your 'personality', you don't really have much of a personality to begin with that you had to resort to that to 'stand out'). But, AngryJoe is definitely one of my least favorites. My roommate watches him religiously for everything so I hear his videos from the other room all the time and it grates my nerves. 

Jim Sterling is the only streamer/reviewer I actually don't mind these days. He's not for everyone and is certainly an acquired taste, but I find myself agreeing with him more times than naught, and find his sense of humor pretty entertaining. And he doesn't scream or yell constantly, always a plus.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ikarikh said:

Jim Sterling is the only streamer/reviewer I actually don't mind these days. He's not for everyone and is certainly an acquired taste, but I find myself agreeing with him more times than naught, and find his sense of humor pretty entertaining. And he doesn't scream or yell constantly, always a plus.

i'd like him more if not for the godawful lack of consistency. He praises horizon for the tallnecks, yet bashes zelda for the towers, when they are the exact same goddamn thing. "this is ubisoft towers, but THESE. these are EXPERIENCES"

FUCK.

• Like 1

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Thus, I have nothing to say...

AngryJoe sucks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deadpaww said:

Joe - 20% of his 2 million subscribers = 400,000 people buying F13

Smaller channels - 20% of 10k subscribers = 2,000 people buying F13

100 smaller channels (10k subscribers) - 100 x 2000 people = 200,000 people.

So 100 10k channels with 20% of their base picking up F13, equals only half of Joe's 20%. It is not a hard concept to know that one big channel has the bigger impact. I bet if you ask these devs if they want big channels to review the game, they will want it. Why? Because they have influence, rep, and they can reach millions of people quicker than smaller channels. 

I mean by that logic (and I know it's not being given to bigger name youtubers, but to ones Gun likes and follows and all that) just give it to Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, and such. With the two named here, by your logic...

Mark- 20% of 17 mil = 3,400,000 people will buy F13

Jack- 20% of 15 mil = 3,000,000 people will buy F13

Hell these two don't even do reviews and people would buy it like this, especially for a game with no spoilers and such. I wasn't going to buy Prey till I saw Mark play the hell out of it and loving every second. I bet it's the same for others. And I get that these two probably will play it with their friends and get a big group together after launch, since they aren't getting early copies, but just basing it on numbers these dorks should get some merit or sway based on theoretical numbers alone.

Myself, I don't really care what reviewers say because in one way or another, there is some bias. You just can't really help it. Give me a guy playing the game and having some sort of honest reaction to how they like playing the game and I'm more inclined to play it myself. But I dunno. Just wanting to share my opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: After seeing Mark play the Power Drill Massacre on his most recent livestream, he said he'd be interested in playing the F13 game. So I mean if Gun wants to give it to streamers, Mark can be on their list. Most tubers now stream once in awhile straight off youtube, so even thought they want to keep it in their core group of streamers, if they want more exposure they have fans in the "big" youtube groups. He loves singing praise of the games he loves to play, gives his pros and cons and really appreciates the work that was put in. 

Oh and I just realized it was sounding like I want Gun to give it to Mark just cause he likes the game, but I just want some people to know that even the big people can be people too, not unlike the smaller people. Too much negativity lately on the forums, sadly, so I wanted to say that everyone has some sort of an impact, whether big or small. We all want the game to do well so lets not alienate any potential help for the exposure of the game.