Brigadius

Jason, the Counselor and the Wardrobe

aka Jason in the closet...

I remember watching a stream where Jason got stuck in a closet by walking towards it as a counselor jumped out. In this instance he was able to morph out, but the ability is limited and takes time to regen so you could get stuck for a while. This got me think of scenarios that might interrupt gameplay.

As far as I'm aware the morph isn't pin point accurate and Jason can't shift over objects. So if somebody took a car and parked it in the corner of a building on a diagonal any one in that area would be safe from Jason. Or if they made any sort of blockade on all sides using vehicles and environment. Am I right? Wouldn't this break gameplay? 

I had an idea about trapping Jason in a house by blocking both doors but he could morph out. So I don't think that's a problem and it's very time consuming. You could just escape easier.

I've been trying to think of other scenarios that might break game but haven't thought of any others yet. Do you have any scenarios that could hinder play and what do you think of this one? 

Oh wow.  Using the car to block cabin entrances on smaller cabins.

While not many people I think would abuse the car in such a way.. it's still a thing.  That's interesting.  The only way Jason would be able to get to the Player is with some well placed throwing knives.  Unfortunately for the counselor, they are just stuck, and would be bored for a certain amount of time.  Buit if points mean THAT much to them.

The other thing is.. it would take a good amount of time to position the car like this, and I think someone trying to perform this scenario is A) Going to be interrupted by other counselors who aren't KEEN on the idea of using the car like that because they want to escape.  B). Jason will appear before they even get a chance to execute this idea proper, because he will pick up on the fact that the car is moving.  

Interesting question. Morph is indeed not pinpoint accurate, and you're also correct that Jason can't shift over objects. He does however have throwing knives, so if anyone decided to barricade themselves behind a few cars (assuming they got lucky enough to fix one or two, drive it into position, park it perfectly and still survive before Jason turned up) then he could chuck 2/3 knives and they'd be dead. 

Plus a driver and passenger could only get out on one side, meaning any more than 2 people and half of them won't get the benefit. 

It's also possible that he could just aim directly at the car icon with morph and move it a little to morph in to the safe spot. There's only one place I can think of where an exploit like this could possibly work (at least on the Higgins Haven map), and that'd be Higgins House, out back by the power box. One of the only structures that has a corner where a car could be parked diagonally. I would say Pamela's shack is also a viable option, but you can't drive the car far enough through the woods to get there :) too many trees to bump into and stall. Could also try putting the car in front of the door of a cabin and getting out the driver's side door so there's no other way in. It may be one of these things that requires a certain clearance for the door to open though before you can get out.

Valid points indeed, we'll have to get some people to try this stuff out once the game releases so the devs can patch it before the trolls exploit it.

6 minutes ago, Laphin said:

While not many people I think would abuse the car in such a way.. it's still a thing.  That's interesting.  The only way Jason would be able to get to the Player is with some well placed throwing knives.  Unfortunately for the counselor, they are just stuck, and would be bored for a certain amount of time.  Buit if points mean THAT much to them.

The other thing is.. it would take a good amount of time to position the car like this, and I think someone trying to perform this scenario is A) Going to be interrupted by other counselors who aren't KEEN on the idea of using the car like that because they want to escape.  B). Jason will appear before they even get a chance to execute this idea proper, because he will pick up on the fact that the car is moving.  

Oh, man. I completely forgot about throwing knives. That in itself might stop first scenario and blocking of cabin so he can't get in would probably be quite an effort but could save everyone if executed. I'm still thinking on other scenarios. Nothing solid yet. 

4 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Plus a driver and passenger could only get out on one side, meaning any more than 2 people and half of them won't get the benefit. 

It's also possible that he could just aim directly at the car icon with morph and move it a little to morph in to the safe spot. There's only one place I can think of where an exploit like this could possibly work (at least on the Higgins Haven map), and that'd be Higgins House, out back by the power box. One of (if not the only) structures that has a corner where a car could be parked diagonally. I would say Pamela's shack is also a viable option, but you can't drive the car far enough through the woods to get there :) too many trees to bump into and stall. Could also try putting the car in front of the door of a cabin and getting out the driver's side door so there's no other way in. It may be one of these things that requires a certain clearance for the door to open though before you can get out.

I was actually thinking of that corner by the outhouses when I thought of this. And the other players could just stand in the corner while driver parks. 

Can Jason morph into the same spot as the car. What would happen if he popped up in middle of the car. 

Think if he pops right on top of it, it just puts him in the nearest available location.

If I remember correctly, every cabin has two entrances/exits.  A front and back door.

Even if they had both cars (which I believe one two seater is being replaced by the boat) blocking the entrances would be far too much of a pain to pull off.  I don't expect it to be too much of an issue before the Jason realizes what is happening.

40 minutes ago, Laphin said:

I never thought of this. It's going to be funny to see the things that people try to do and they will try.

if you block off cabin you could crank the music and spend the rest of the countdown partying.

What about blocking off tents? I don't remember exact configuration of tents but you could possibly block all of them off effectively ending the game.

8 hours ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

If I remember correctly, every cabin has two entrances/exits.  A front and back door.

Even if they had both cars (which I believe one two seater is being replaced by the boat) blocking the entrances would be far too much of a pain to pull off.  I don't expect it to be too much of an issue before the Jason realizes what is happening.

I'm actually watching some H2ODelirious right now and some cabins only have one door. I'm trying to figure out if barn entrance can be blocked by one car by watching video. I think it could be blocked.

Fence is too thin, gate is too wide, and there are two entrances.

1 minute ago, Brigadius said:

if you block off cabin you could crank the music and spend the rest of the countdown partying.

What about blocking off tents? I don't remember exact configuration of tents but you could possibly block all of them off effectively ending the game.

I'm actually watching some H2ODelirious right now and some cabins only have one door. I'm trying to figure out if barn entrance can be blocked by one car by watching video. I think it could be blocked.

8 hours ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

barn.png.c267672dc1a4fd759c3723c48d791902.pnggate.png.6c6790c54192c5e12340658f34c5994d.png

I don't know. I think it might fit through gate and be just big enough to block passage through entrance. And, Some of the small cabins only have one entrance.

18 minutes ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

The barn has only one entrance that Jason can get through, and that's the front. If someone power slided into the doorway in a car, he can't get in. He can't climb through windows.

Just now, Kodiak said:

The barn has only one entrance that Jason can get through, and that's the front. If someone power slided into the doorway in a car, he can't get in. He can't climb through windows.

Really?

I could have sworn there was a side entrance.

Nah, just the main entrance at the front and a couple of windows for counsellors to escape out of.

I think this vehicle scenario is plausible enough to merit some discussion. It might not be game breaking and may even be beneficial if you are running for your life. But it may be a little cheap and could disrupt gameplay if abused. 

I would be interested in trying out some scenarios including this and running over Jason from behind. Wish I could have played beta. I feel that betas should test obscure scenarios but most of the streams just show normal gameplay with occasional glitches but nobody really tried to intentionally find bugs or glitches. 

23 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I think this vehicle scenario is plausible enough to merit some discussion. It might not be game breaking and may even be beneficial if you are running for your life. But it may be a little cheap and could disrupt gameplay if abused. 

I would be interested in trying out some scenarios including this and running over Jason from behind. Wish I could have played beta. I feel that betas should test obscure scenarios but most of the streams just show normal gameplay with occasional glitches but nobody really tried to intentionally find bugs or glitches. 

That one's got me scratching my head. I escaped a load of times in the beta but never once did I try hitting Jason whilst reversing. I know that he smashes the car up if you drive it forwards into him, but I've never tried reversing. My best guess is he's treated as a solid entity like a wall and stalls the car without hitting it.

To be honest I'm surprised nobody else or myself hasn't posted a thread about this either. I think all of us who played the beta were having too much fun to try breaking the game :) But troll tactics like you've mentioned above could indeed be a problem. If the car can be parked in front of the barn and Jason can't get past it, then not even throwing knives will be enough to kill the counsellors as they could sit in one of the pens inside the barn and avoid all of them. This is something I'd like a developer response on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kodiak said:

That one's got me scratching my head. I escaped a load of times in the beta but never once did I try hitting Jason whilst reversing. I know that he smashes the car up if you drive it forwards into him, but I've never tried reversing. My best guess is he's treated as a solid entity like a wall and stalls the car without hitting it.

To be honest I'm surprised nobody else or myself hasn't posted a thread about this either. I think all of us who played the beta were having too much fun to try breaking the game :) But troll tactics like you've mentioned above could indeed be a problem. If the car can be parked in front of the barn and Jason can't get past it, then not even throwing knives will be enough to kill the counsellors as they could sit in one of the pens inside the barn and avoid all of them. This is something I'd like a developer response on. 

Yes, reversing into Jason should be tested but actually running into him from behind while he's facing the other way should be tested. The topic "The car and Jason" discusses this. I think it should be treated differently than if you ran into him from the front. 

I'm glad others think this could be an issue. I haven't been able to come up with many issues or odd scenarios,at least yet, which I think is good. I too would like a developers response.

Another question: Can the car be driven into the lake?

1 hour ago, ResolutionBlaze said:

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of cabins in the beta with only one door. One of them was like a small bed barrack that had 2 beds and a radio soon as you go in and one room to the right and a kitchen or something around to the left. One couch and maybe 3 windows. A problem easily solved should it become a thing. Just have to put a no go zone. Either it can't go there or Jason can smack it back a few feet in that area only.

11 hours ago, Kodiak said:

I have a lot of questions about stuff that was changed/added since beta. Like how big is the boat? where is the driver positioned on it? what if i drive the car onto the boat? can i drop firecrackers in the water? does the boat have seats that players must sit in or can everyone just pile in? i have others but i can see issues with these things without any further info. i feel the beta was to limited to weed out a lot of potential problems. these may not be issues at all but i have a feeling that they have hardly been proper tested throughly.

3 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I have a lot of questions about stuff that was changed/added since beta. Like how big is the boat? where is the driver positioned on it? what if i drive the car onto the boat? can i drop firecrackers in the water? does the boat have seats that players must sit in or can everyone just pile in? i have others but i can see issues with these things without any further info. i feel the beta was to limited to weed out a lot of potential problems. these may not be issues at all but i have a feeling that they have hardly been proper tested throughly.

I think they said the boat was a two seater.  driver I would guess would be in the back controlling the motor.  Not sure if the boat is going to be at the end of a dock or on the shore somewhere.  If it's on a dock or even the shore the car may have a hard time getting to it.  In the beta you had to pretty much stay on the paths or the car would crash.  No clue about the fireworks, good question.  

Gotta say, I think this is the best title I've seen in weeks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

For real!! Great thread!! I think Wes needs to  indulge us again and give us another post.?????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamonD7 said:

What can I say. I've got a lot of free time.

52 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I don't see this scenario happening. Great thread title though ;)

Well it's more likely now that we are discussing it. I'm pretty curious as to where I can jam that car. 

10 hours ago, Brigadius said:

aka Jason in the closet...

I remember watching a stream where Jason got stuck in a closet by walking towards it as a counselor jumped out. In this instance he was able to morph out, but the ability is limited and takes time to regen so you could get stuck for a while. This got me think of scenarios that might interrupt gameplay.

As far as I'm aware the morph isn't pin point accurate and Jason can't shift over objects. So if somebody took a car and parked it in the corner of a building on a diagonal any one in that area would be safe from Jason. Or if they made any sort of blockade on all sides using vehicles and environment. Am I right? Wouldn't this break gameplay? 

I had an idea about trapping Jason in a house by blocking both doors but he could morph out. So I don't think that's a problem and it's very time consuming. You could just escape easier.

I've been trying to think of other scenarios that might break game but haven't thought of any others yet. Do you have any scenarios that could hinder play and what do you think of this one? 

Jason in the closet......I'm a bad influence XD

Let's say one or a few counselors get very lucky and are able to get the cars running and park them right at the only two entrances to a specific cabin, or are able to block off the big barn entrance before Jason can arrive. You say "Jason can just throw knives." Well, some cabins have rooms or hallways that cannot be seen from a window around the exterior wall. In that case, Jason would be screwed.

An easy fix to this is to have Jason's melee attacks move the cars with each hit, so if this ever happens it would only take a few hits to knock the car out of place to let Jason inside.

OR... This is an even better fix... Have small indestructible posts or stones around the entrances and/or perimiter to every cabin so that the cars CANNOT drive into those locations.

• Like 1