Does anyone else find entering combat mode a bit cheap? I don't know if that's the right word lol but I just don't like how if you're playing on a console you have to click in the right analogue stick to enter combat mode and then click it again to exit it. I think it would have been much better suited to if you hold the left trigger it locks on to jason whilst readying your weapon and then just press the right trigger to swing. It just feels better and is quicker because if you need to enter combat mode you just hold the left trigger and then to exit you just release the left trigger. Is it just me or does anyone else agree?? :) 

• Like 2

I agree it did kind of feel awkward entering it through clicking the analog stick. Maybe they'll change it if enough people complain. I also they fix the dodging system. The character never moved far enough to escape Jason's attacks or grabs rendering the dodge useless.

• Like 1

It's supposed to be clunky and hard to manage. We aren't supposed to fight Jason, the counselors aren't combat experts, so I'm thinking it's implemented to serve as a 'I'm terrified but I'll try and maybe I'll get lucky' thing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GrifterWolf said:

It's supposed to be clunky and hard to manage. We aren't supposed to fight Jason, the counselors aren't combat experts, so I'm thinking it's implemented to serve as a 'I'm terrified but I'll try and maybe I'll get lucky' thing.

This is no excuse for shitty controls.

There's better ways to deter combat than just making combat not fun.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GrifterWolf said:

I completely agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

Combat wasn't that bad.  It's just something you weren't really supposed to do. 

• Like 1

Well if Jason grabs you, you drop your weapon immediately so you really have to time it just right. I suspect Brandon will probably be the one who has the best chance, maybe even the best range at hitting Jason before he can grab you. Just speculatively speaking. Though I managed to get hits on him with less tough characters. You basically have to have good timing as a counselor, but Jason is supposed to win those scenarios, he can swing faster and obviously grab you.

• Like 1

No I don't agree that it's supposed to be clunky because it shouldn't be used often. It is a great way to free a friend who has been grabbed and in order to do that you need to be quick. If you just do the swing button without locking onto Jason in combat mode there's always a chance of missing. Also in combat mode you can block so it's a great way to quickly enter it to block or dodge. If the left trigger is not occupied by something important then why not have it like the way I said if it's easier?

51 minutes ago, GrifterWolf said:

Exactly!

• Like 1

In the beta I didn't even know there was a combat mode until towards the end.  If Jason did grab another player and I was there with a weapon I just swung blindly.  I did think it was kinda stupid until I figured it out.  For me it felt fine.  It was clunky and as Grifter mentioned before, these are counselors not combat experts.  In the movies anyone that tried to actually fight him got mangled(Except for the final girl/boy but that's another bunch of Jason game defeating questions). But it was the beta so with the finished game coming out soon we won't know anything until we play. 

Yeah I know what you're saying as it shouldn't be used often and I personally will not be using combat against Jason as a tactic but I think if you need to quickly free a friend and lock on or if you're out of stamina needing to block while you regain it back or if you're backed into a corner and forced to use combat mode I just think to make things easier it should be done by holding the left trigger. I'm not saying it should be used often and by moving it to the trigger it's better to now take him on, I'm just saying that it is a function that is in the game and so if it was to be used just make it smoother and easier by holding the trigger

Just suggesting it to make the function easier when it does come to a time when you need to use it

They'll likely have multiple button layouts, or even fully configurable controls... I can't remember the last game I played that didn't have at least two control options.

Hopefully they do. I mean the argument that because it shouldn't be used often it should stay like that is a little stupid because it's also the same button for Jason and it's a function that is very useful to him. It was obviously made this way due to not much thought going into it not because it shouldn't be used often as it's a very useful function for Jason

LT serves as "aim" while clicking the right stick puts you into "Combat Mode".

I don't see what's clunky about that...Different, sure. But far from clunky. This isn't a first person shooter. Furthermore, you'd be pretty annoyed to use anything else than LT to aim things like Flare Guns, throwing knives, Tommy's Shotgun...etc.

Combat mode just means you lock onto Jason in order to attack him / defend yourself.

• Like 1

I'm talking about still having LT to aim your flare gun and fire crackers etc. When you select the flare gun then LT will aim as will selecting firecrackers etc. But there should be an option to then select you melee weapon and then LT will be your lock on/readying of your melee weapon

4 minutes ago, BertieB3 said:

I'm talking about still having LT to aim your flare gun and fire crackers etc. When you select the flare gun then LT will aim as will selecting firecrackers etc. But there should be an option to then select you melee weapon and then LT will be your lock on/readying of your melee weapon

lol...now THAT'S clunky...

How is that clunky? You select your weapon/item with the d-pad, LT aims/ready's weapon. Just like 90% of games with items and weapons so don't see how that's clunky?

To save you equipping your melee weapon you could even go as far as holding LB to aim your item and RT to then throw it

1 minute ago, BertieB3 said:

How is that clunky? You select your weapon/item with the d-pad, LT aims/ready's weapon. Just like 90% of games with items and weapons so don't see how that's clunky?

If you played the beta when you actually swung your weapon it did feel a bit "off".  You had flares and fireworks which was easily accessible and used, but your melee weapon kinda felt clunky when swung.  I didn't mind it, it gave the feeling that the counselors were a bit helpless and that fighting Jason was not the way to go.  You didn't have a weapon inventory for melee, what you picked up was what you had so you didn't need to scroll through axes bats and bear traps.

9 minutes ago, Gdain said:

If you played the beta when you actually swung your weapon it did feel a bit "off".  You had flares and fireworks which was easily accessible and used, but your melee weapon kinda felt clunky when swung.  I didn't mind it, it gave the feeling that the counselors were a bit helpless and that fighting Jason was not the way to go.  You didn't have a weapon inventory for melee, what you picked up was what you had so you didn't need to scroll through axes bats and bear traps.

Yeah I see a lot of people in gameplay videos swinging and missing cause they've gone slightly in the wrong direction which is frustrating and could be avoided with a quick lock on with holding LT like I said but like you said it does give the feeling of being a bit useless compared to him which is more accurate. I don't think using the d-pad to cycle between your melee weapon or an item is practical but was just a suggestion to free up LT as your aiming/ readying button but I think using LB to aim your item is good enough and keep your melee weapon always equipped. Just a suggestion to make things easier

• Like 1

It is frustrating with all the speculation I know but like I've said before, at this point we won't really know much of anything until we play and experience it for ourselves. 

BertieB3 be careful as not to double post. 

That's another thing...You don't want the controls to feel "comfortable" enough that people get the impression that fighting Jason is a sound strategy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

That's another thing...You don't want the controls to feel "comfortable" enough that people get the impression that fighting Jason is a sound strategy.

I guess people won't find out until they learn it's not a good idea lol.  Go hit a rhino with a whiffle bat and see what happens.