With the recent addition of both DS2 and DS3 on xbox one i'm curious about everyone's thoughts on the series. I personally loved them all. I'm a huge fan of the lore and the series. But if i had to pick, the first one would be my favorite. With the third being my least favorite. Too much action and not enough horror in that one for me. But still a decent game. 

What's your opinion on the series? and would you like to see a fourth?

I bought the three in a bundle. I got stuck in a turret secion (shooting asteroids or something, I forget) in part 1. Eventually I quit trying and moved onto other games. Never picked up 2 or 3. 

8 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

I got stuck in a turret secion (shooting asteroids or something, I forget) in part 1

I completely forgot about that part. For good reason too. I think i passed it with like 2% hp? it was a pain in the ass. Once you get passed it though its awesome. I replayed it last year and it surprisingly holds up today.

Well, you know. Besides the rail shooter parts.

11 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

I completely forgot about that part. For good reason too. I think i passed it with like 2% hp? it was a pain in the ass. Once you get passed it though its awesome. I replayed it last year and it surprisingly holds up today.

Well, you know. Besides the rail shooter parts.

Maybe I'll pick it up again someday. But yeah, that part really pissed me off. 

Parts 1 & 2 are great horror games with well-designed atmosphere. The story isn't too bad either. The first 2 are a couple of my favorite horror games and to this date Dead Space 1 is the only game ever to make Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star creepy as hell.

Now Part 3 is something else entirely. It's no longer an atmospheric horror game at this point. Instead they turned it into a coop third-person shooter action game that has remnants of the once classic horror design scattered about. It's ok if you want a game to play with a buddy, not so much if you're looking for that horror experience of the first two games. The one interesting thing that they did do with that game is that the person that plays the other guy (Not Isaac), he tends to see hallucinations while playing that the other player doesn't. It gets kinda funny sometimes. Imagine going in a room and you're seeing nothing and chill while your buddy is freaking out and opening fire.

TLDR: First 2 games are great horrors with atmosphere and the 3rd is a TPS action game. First 2 are the better ones.

As for my favorite, Part 1 without a doubt. The creature reveals were so much better handled in this one. Especially that giant moth thing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ShankerOne said:

*Recounts just how epic the series is.*

Damnit, you're making me want to play them again. I don't have time to do that. Didn't you hear, it's early 2017 and we've got a death curse coming up.

• Like 1

Just now, Risinggrave said:

Damnit, you're making me want to play them again. I don't have time to do that. Didn't you hear, it's early 2017 and we've got a death curse coming up.

You got 1 month to finish em all. Get to it. :P

Just now, ShankerOne said:

You got 1 month to finish em all. Get to it. :P

I still need to beat Ghost Recon and both Telltale Walking Dead games! 

Though I will take another shot once F13 isn't taking up all of my game time. Maybe in early* 2018.

*Early is sometime after the beginning but before the end of 2018. In other words it's arbitrary, suckah! 

12 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

I still need to beat Ghost Recon and both Telltale Walking Dead games! 

I'm in that same boat lol 

34 minutes ago, Mars816 said:

I'm in that same boat lol 

Paddle faster! 

1 hour ago, Risinggrave said:

Paddle faster! 

Lol try to but have a 4 month old daughter that takes up a lot of that Xbox time ?

1 hour ago, Mars816 said:

Lol try to but have a 4 month old daughter that takes up a lot of that Xbox time ?

I don't envy you there. 

3 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

I don't envy you there. 

Lol I understand, it has been a blessing though for sure. I really wouldn't change it for the world

9 minutes ago, Mars816 said:

Lol I understand, it has been a blessing though for sure. I really wouldn't change it for the world

No doubt. Except the lack of sleep, cost, worry, and strife kids bring, they are great. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

No doubt. Except the lack of sleep, cost, worry, and strife kids bring, they are great. 

Lol I hear that

• Like 1

Personally loved all the Dead Space games, the first one terrified me so much I had to leave it for like 3 weeks before picking it up again.

Now, this is my opinion, but my favourite was DS3 for a fair few reasons.

• The weapons and all the little details in them, making my own gun to suit my own need.
  • The multiplayer, playing with a friend and looking through the perspective of different characters made it lots of fun.
  • The beauty of it, flying in space, flashing lights and a whole new planet.
  • The story, I was entertained through-out the whole thing.

My only problem with Dead Space was that it got a little tedious with the missions. "I just repaired this, but oh no! Another problem. I am now going to call for help, but oh no! Another problem!"

Either way, Dead Space has and always will be one of my favourite games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Trapper said:

Personally loved all the Dead Space games, the first one terrified me so much I had to leave it for like 3 weeks before picking it up again.

Now, this is my opinion, but my favourite was DS3 for a fair few reasons.

• The weapons and all the little details in them, making my own gun to suit my own need.
  • The multiplayer, playing with a friend and looking through the perspective of different characters made it lots of fun.
  • The beauty of it, flying in space, flashing lights and a whole new planet.
  • The story, I was entertained through-out the whole thing.

My only problem with Dead Space was that it got a little tedious with the missions. "I just repaired this, but oh no! Another problem. I am now going to call for help, but oh no! Another problem!"

Either way, Dead Space has and always will be one of my favourite games.

I agree that the multiplayer action game was entertaining to play. Unfortunately it murdered the survival horror portion of what it used to be.

Dead Space suffers from the same thing many games of a franchise run into. I'll try to break that down by part a bit but the short is after part 1 it started retreading territory.

Dead Space Original:
The original remains my favorite and, in my opinion, still the strongest entry in the series. The atmosphere was spot on, the creatures were introduced well and in a creepy enough way. Like I said earlier, the killer moth that mutated living and dead corpses remains my favorite. If you dies, you died horribly and in a number of potentially gruesome ways ranging from that damn moth, some crazed regenerative superbeast, a space walk gone wrong, dismemberment, or any number of other things. As they say, in space, no one can hear you scream. :)

Dead Space 2:
Part 2 started to retread things a bit. Creatures were not as well introduced but you had the benefit of the crafting system. One of the best parts was probably the psychological hallucinations when you return to the Ishimaru.

Dead Space 3
Horror kind of went out the window here and we went with pure 3rd-player action shooter. While it was fun, it strayed quite a ways from the original horror-filled roots. That said, if you have a friend to play with it was pretty fun, especially with the perspective of John Carver and his...special view.

I love horror games and often times Isolation is a huge part of the scare factor, which is why going multiplayer was a bit of a risk. Few horror games can go multiplayer and pull off staying true to the creepy and scare factor (F13 is a rare gem on that front). I hope at some point we get at least 1 more Dead Space game before the series concludes. Because that ending man... I'm a story guy, so it bugs me when the story is left unfinished.

I still have a hand print on my forehead from face-palming so hard a while back when people at places like Capcom swore that horror games were dead because no one wanted them. Now look at some of the biggest and most anticipated games either out or on the way: Friday the 13th, Resident Evil 7 (they didn't Michael Bay it and went back to horror. Success!), Alien Isolation, Outlast and Amnesia series', upgraded and re-released versions of System Shock, and that's just some of the more recent stuff that, ya know, nobody wanted. ;) 

Just shows how out of touch a lot of publishers are when it comes to gaming. There's a ton of untapped marketrs just itching for a game that no one has made because the suits keep making the status quo until the well runs dry ~looks over at Assassin's Creed~. Then you have someone that gets a little ballsy like Gun/Illfonic that takes a risk on an actual creative idea and low and behold, people are foaming at the mouth for it. Go figure. <_<

Maybe I got off on a bit of a tangent there. :lol:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ShankerOne said:

I agree that the multiplayer action game was entertaining to play. Unfortunately it murdered the survival horror portion of what it used to be.

Dead Space suffers from the same thing many games of a franchise run into. I'll try to break that down by part a bit but the short is after part 1 it started retreading territory.

Dead Space Original:
The original remains my favorite and, in my opinion, still the strongest entry in the series. The atmosphere was spot on, the creatures were introduced well and in a creepy enough way. Like I said earlier, the killer moth that mutated living and dead corpses remains my favorite. If you dies, you died horribly and in a number of potentially gruesome ways ranging from that damn moth, some crazed regenerative superbeast, a space walk gone wrong, dismemberment, or any number of other things. As they say, in space, no one can hear you scream. :)

Dead Space 2:
Part 2 started to retread things a bit. Creatures were not as well introduced but you had the benefit of the crafting system. One of the best parts was probably the psychological hallucinations when you return to the Ishimaru.

Dead Space 3
Horror kind of went out the window here and we went with pure 3rd-player action shooter. While it was fun, it strayed quite a ways from the original horror-filled roots. That said, if you have a friend to play with it was pretty fun, especially with the perspective of John Carver and his...special view.

I love horror games and often times Isolation is a huge part of the scare factor, which is why going multiplayer was a bit of a risk. Few horror games can go multiplayer and pull off staying true to the creepy and scare factor (F13 is a rare gem on that front). I hope at some point we get at least 1 more Dead Space game before the series concludes. Because that ending man... I'm a story guy, so it bugs me when the story is left unfinished.

I still have a hand print on my forehead from face-palming so hard a while back when people at places like Capcom swore that horror games were dead because no one wanted them. Now look at some of the biggest and most anticipated games either out or on the way: Friday the 13th, Resident Evil 7 (they didn't Michael Bay it and went back to horror. Success!), Alien Isolation, Outlast and Amnesia series', upgraded and re-released versions of System Shock, and that's just some of the more recent stuff that, ya know, nobody wanted. ;) 

Just shows how out of touch a lot of publishers are when it comes to gaming. There's a ton of untapped marketrs just itching for a game that no one has made because the suits keep making the status quo until the well runs dry ~looks over at Assassin's Creed~. Then you have someone that gets a little ballsy like Gun/Illfonic that takes a risk on an actual creative idea and low and behold, people are foaming at the mouth for it. Go figure. <_<

Maybe I got off on a bit of a tangent there. :lol:

The games took a serious turn after the 1st one. In DS1 you're playing as a guy with a name and a very slim background, he's looking for his girlfriend. He does not talk and he rarely shows any emotion other than when Nicole reaches a conclusion. This had a HUGE effect on the horror element in my opinion, since you didn't really value how powerful your character is, it simply came down to what gun you had and what abilities were at your disposal. 

DS2 changed this, Isaac started talking, not to mention having cutscenes and started to give the player more of an understanding and feeling for him, it made us more in-depth with the story in the sense that we were following a character's story, and not just trying to survive. DS3 didn't really have any of this, just story and plenty of it. Which I enjoyed! I can't deny the fact that, horror aside, I had alot of fun playing Dead Space 3 as John Carver.

Horror games must never die, I personally love them so long as my golden rule is followed "I must be able to fight back". So Outlast and other games are not for me, but I agree with you. Capcom do alot of smack talking.

The thing I love about Gunmedia and Illfonic is that they're doing a new chapter of horror games, one where there is alot of detail to surviving, grabbing items, searching houses, hiding and running for the car, leaving people behind or being a hero. It's genius and I can't wait to play it.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:07 PM, Mr_Trapper said:

The thing I love about Gunmedia and Illfonic is that they're doing a new chapter of horror games, one where there is alot of detail to surviving, grabbing items, searching houses, hiding and running for the car, leaving people behind or being a hero. It's genius and I can't wait to play it.

I prefer being able to fight back as well. I can play games like Amnesia and Outlast, but I do like to be able to do a bit more than die screaming in the dark.

Oh yeah. F13 is one of those rare horror games that can keep the horror experience while using multiplayer. Not many have pulled that off. Like with Dead Space, it swung more to the coop action shooter end mostly void of horror entirely.

On the topic of publishers, I had a good chuckle at Wes' Tweet the other day about a publisher that he spoke with at E3 last year about maybe setting something up for F13 just now getting back to him now saying that they're interested. Of course they are now that all the development work is done and the game is on the short road to launch. :lol:

• Like 2

Yea action games are my one weakness. Couldn't beat it any of them.

Dead Space was good, but in my opinion wasn't that scary in hindsight.

Dead Space 2 was good as well, much scarier because there was gore in it I did not care for (eyeball gore) and that automatically makes things ten times more scary for me.

Dead Space 3 I never bought.  They sacrificed online multiplayer, which was fun in the second one, for an unnecessary Co-op story.  Necromorphs were less scary and powerful it seemed in that one, and many looked more like zombies to me.  Ruined the horror element of singleplayer and had no multiplayer to compensate.

• Like 1

I've got every trophy for the core games, Ignition (oh god, if you haven't, just don't), and... Extraction... the Wii rail shooter that was also released on PSN.  The core series gets progressively worse, but I'll still pick up 4 on the off chance it ever comes out.  They should have left the ending for 3 alone though.  The DLC just crapped all over a perfect ending.

2 hours ago, DonJohn80 said:

I've got every trophy for the core games, Ignition (oh god, if you haven't, just don't), and... Extraction... the Wii rail shooter that was also released on PSN.  The core series gets progressively worse, but I'll still pick up 4 on the off chance it ever comes out.  They should have left the ending for 3 alone though.  The DLC just crapped all over a perfect ending.

I'm replaying dead space 2 and 3 through the xbox backwards compatiblity stuff. It's surprising how well both the first and second games hold up today.

But yeah 3 should have just left that alone. And hiding away the actual ending behind dlc was shady as fuck.

26 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

I'm replaying dead space 2 and 3 through the xbox backwards compatiblity stuff. It's surprising how well both the first and second games hold up today.

But yeah 3 should have just left that alone. And hiding away the actual ending behind dlc was shady as fuck.

I consider the main ending to be the actual ending.  I write off the DLC as a dream. :)

Part 1 and 2 are a couple of my favorite survival horror games of all time. And actually are two of the few  newer games I've bothered to play through more than once just for the sake of  how  much fun they were. Of course if you play either one multiple times through using new game plus; Isaac basically becomes an unstoppable killing machine when you full upgrade the contact beam and have the military rig. Effectively removing any sense of dread from the game because you can take hits and just spam contact beam rounds at enemies laughing as they explode. But the overall  theme and premise of the games is amazing and fun.

Dead Space 3  was a mistake and EA's attempt to cater to the lowest common denominator that wanted an all out action game that you could microtransaction your way through. Which managed to raise the ire of many a  Dead Space fan. I hope beyond all hope that they try again and go back to the original formula  with Dead Space 4. Though I know given how DS3 was received a fourth installment is extremely unlikely even if they made it Dead Battlefront 4 ultra extreme Madden 2018