GinnyvsJason

Alien: Covenant

Is anyone else excited for Alien: Covenant? :lol: It's being released on May 19th, 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

The preview for it looks great. It will be nice to see the Alien on the big screen again! Along with the Friday series, the Alien franchise was one I enjoyed a great deal. Perhaps it will answer some open ended questions from the Prometheus film. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it.  But I doubt I'll see it on the big screen.  I live in a very small town and our local movie theater only likes the disney and family friendly movies.

I'd kill to see Alien and Aliens on the silver screen again though!  :D

That's unfortunate; Do you have anyway to get to a bigger centre to see it? I've read part of the marketing will be to release the original Alien in some theatres before Covenant is released. It would certainly be nice to see the original like that!

Oh man, that would be so cool to see.  Wonder if they would release the original version or the director's cut to the big screen?

Nearest city to me is about hour and half away.  I'm going to try and see if I can find a couple of friends that are willing to go!  :)

I thought it was pretty good, only little certain things bothered me, but other wise great movie.

I saw this on the 20th. It was pretty cool. I was hoping it would be released in IMAX 3D, but it was just 2D. This film would've been excellent in IMAX 3D. I'd like to see a Xenomorph leaping out of the screen at me. It also sucks the scene from the end of the second trailer was cut. That scene was made for 3D.

I'm not going to post any spoilers here, just how I felt about the film :

Like Prometheus, it *looks* stunning, it's a beautiful film, shot well, also all the actors are great, especially Fassbender.

However, the only way I can make sense of its story is that : after the critical panning of Prometheus (most deserved, some a little OTT in my opinion), they've totally ditched the 3 film story arc they were setting up in the first film, because, this film doesn't really work as a sequel....but it doesn't really work as a prequel to Alien either, as...well, no spoilers but, the way it plays out, means Alien & Aliens couldn't have happened.

So, basically, I think they've ditched whatever their Prometheus story line was, and instead have turned this in to a reboot of the Alien franchise.

Overall I thought Covenant was ok, better than Prometheus anyway.

• Like 2

I really enjoy the Alien franchise, but I hate seeing movies in theaters. Just not my thing. Boyfriend is making me go though.

I enjoyed it... looks amazing and fassbender is great in it.

Tired of people talking in movies... I don't get the whole need to commentate on what's going on in front of you.. it's a giant screen we're all seeing what you see.

I liked it despite it being silly in some places. Hated the character development as I only cared about the synthetics surviving. 

And I can understand why some die-hards are upset about how Ridley Scott revealed certain origins. It didn't bother me because he created the Alien universe and perhaps this was the storyline all along. 

Look at all of the films from after 1986 to before 2012. Including the half-baked AvP films. It was good. It was damn good.

It was arguably even dumber than Prometheus, but it had more going for it. It was basically just a fun slasher movie, with two awesome Micheal Fassbender characters and two good gore scenes. I don't really regret my ticket. That being said... boy was that movie fucking dumb. Some people will be upset that they ruined the Xenomorph, but the Xenomorph has sucked for more than three decades now. Hell, I think Aliens kind of ruined the Xenomorph.

I liked Prometheus. I get the issues with but found it enjoyable for what it was.

i just finished Covenant and have to say I didn't really like it. I found it slow and predictable. I was unsatisfied by more or less everything in it and I never thought a film other than Alien 3 could make me yearn for Alien vs. Predator. :)

• Like 1

I liked ALIEN: COVENANT, but I'm probably in the minority when I say that I would really like the origins of the Xenomorph to have a little less sci-fi and a little more cosmic, Lovecraft-style horror.

On 17/07/2017 at 11:32 AM, bewareofbears said:

I liked Prometheus. I get the issues with but found it enjoyable for what it was.

i just finished Covenant and have to say I didn't really like it. I found it slow and predictable. I was unsatisfied by more or less everything in it and I never thought a film other than Alien 3 could make me yearn for Alien vs. Predator. :)

*SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW*

As usual. Completely agree. :lol:

I didn't think much of Prometheus on first viewing...but it grew on me in repeated viewings. I began to feel the ambiguity it raised seemed, to fit the Alien series quite well. Part of the mystery of the Alien was one of the most chilling and interesting things about it for me.

Covenant kind of flushes that ambiguity down the toilet and gives the species weak prequel beginnings. I hope this Xenomorph "creation angle" is swerved in the next film. Not to mention the alien species is again treated like fodder, as both Xenos are easily defeated in a matter of minutes. The final act had a ridiculously fast pace and felt tacked on. While I like Fassbender as an actor and like the character itself - I don't want to see this character be the cornerstone of the series.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Splatterhouse said:

*SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW*

As usual. Completely agree. :lol:

I didn't think much of Prometheus on first viewing...but it grew on me in repeated viewings. I began to feel the ambiguity it raised seemed, to fit the Alien series quite well. Part of the mystery of the Alien was one of the most chilling and interesting things about it for me.

Covenant kind of flushes that ambiguity down the toilet and gives the species weak prequel beginnings. I hope this Xenomorph "creation angle" is swerved in the next film. Not to mention the alien species is again treated like fodder, as both Xenos are easily defeated in a matter of minutes. The final act had a ridiculously fast pace and felt tacked on. While I like Fassbender as an actor and like the character itself - I don't want to see this character be the cornerstone of the series.

Your assessment is dead on. The end definitely felt tacked on and I was disappointed that it seemed to be a completely CGI alien on top of it. It felt cartoony.