I gave it a lot of thought on where to post this and decided that "feedback" was a good enough category (but if this falls more under "general discussion", then if someone could kindly move it I appreciate it), even though I'd also like to understand the reasoning behind certain things besides just giving my feedback from - disclaimer - the perspective of someone who hasn't played the game.

My biggest (and so far only) issue with the game, is this so-called levelling system. The (infamous) system in which people have to play in order to unlock other aspects of the game. In this case, characters.

My question would be "why?". But let me elaborate a bit more. Why does a game like F13 need such a system? Which would also bring us to the question of why any game (and, more specifically, which kind of game) needs a system like this.

I'll start this by telling a few of my personal experiences with this argument and then try to broaden the spectrum until it's a more general approach. So... Whenever I bring this up to people I'm bound to, at one point or another, hear the following: "Well... It's a way to keep people engaged, it gives them a reason to play the game". I'm always baffled by that argument. Why do people need a reason to play a game other than "it's a great game"? Are games not good enough nowadays to keep people entertained for more than a few hours before they're "looking for reasons" to keep playing it? Is F13 good enough to keep people entertained?

Another thing I'm bound to hear is: "this system helps people understand and learn to play the game before they move on to harder characters". The logic behind this argument is that people can't be trusted with how they approach the game. Maybe they'll ruin it for everybody else that's playing online with them. As gamers, however, we all know new people will more than likely lose, horribly, regardless of which character/hero/weapon/etc they pick, even if it's labeled "noob-friendly" or "recommended starter". Now, I think people know better how to enjoy their own game. Meaning also they know better how they enjoy mastering (or not) characters, for instance. Some people wouldn't mind, for instance, playing Diablo 1 until the end with the Warrior before moving on to the Rogue, then after finishing the game again, moving on to the Sorcerer. For those people, a level-to-unlock system means nothing, cause that's how they play the game anyway. Other people (like myself) would start Diablo 1 with the Warrior, play for a little while, then move on to the other two to see what they're all about. In this case, a level-to-unlock system would only serve the purpose of limiting my experience. So, in the imaginary case of Diablo 1, having a system such as this would be meaningless at best, and taking away one way to play the game at worst. I am glad D1 doesn't have a system like this.

Maybe I don't want to fully master a character before I move on to another. Why can't I have that choice? Why can't others? Level-to-unlock systems limit the experience and the way people play the game, which reflects on how much they enjoy the game. I can speak for myself, it changes how I enjoy and perceive the game as a whole.

Now, as an even broader stroke, this system is the backbone of free-to-play games. And of course they are. People need money and free games need a way to make money, which is the progression system. Being part of this thing is the "price" you pay for playing a free-to-play game. F13 is not f2p, however. Unless they're planning on making more money by allowing people to pay for early unlocks of characters, this levelling system makes no sense. Again, its only functionality (I was gonna say "purpose", but I don't think it's on purpose) is to limit the experience of those who don't want to play a few select characters to exhaustion before moving on to others.

Another thing I hear in discussions, this time regarding F13 specifically, is "well, you haven't played the game, you don't know how the progression works, maybe you unlock stuff very quickly". But if that's the case, then the system is meaningless yet again. Why have a progression at all if every game you play unlocks a new dude (I'm not saying that's the case, it's obviously just an exaggerated example). Even that's besides the point, cause it's not about whether the system is generous or not, it's about it existing in the first place.

That brings me back to the question I'd like answered, which is "why?". Why is there such a system in this game? Are you planning on making more money by charging for unlocks? If not, then what's the reasoning behind it?

I could try to respond to remarks before they're even made, but I'll cut this short and end it here. I do hope to hear from a dev on this, but we'll see what happens.

To me it all just seems like an awful idea.

So why? What's the reason for this system to exist in F13?

PS: I would also like to know if the "official Discord" (the one in which the devs drop by now and then) is actually owned by one of you devs. Cause today I was talking about this exact subject (levelling-to-unlock) to another user - both of us using the respective "@name" to communicate - when a mod very kindly told us to shut up about the issue and that the discussion was over. I thought that was very, very weird. I wasn't talking to the general public and neither was the other user, we were just talking to each other without opening a new private window, but somehow the mod felt it was her duty to stop that conversation. So, if that Discord has anything to do with the dev team (and even if it doesn't have anything to do, maybe the owner of that discord will see this), consider this my complaint towards the moderation of that channel.

EDIT: Thank you for your answer regarding this thing, bewareofbears.

The answer to you question changes from person to person based upon their own personal preference. You are looking at a progression system as a restrictive system as opposed to a progression. If you look at playStation/Xbox/Steam you will notice that all platforms include achievements, Trophies and Badges. The reasoning for their existence is that its fun and gives people something to work towards. Not having those completed of course does not affect things in game but utilizes the same principals. Some see it as a way to keep people playing others might not. That all depends upon the persons preference. If you were given a game with no direction and could start out with everything throughout the game it would be cool for awhile but ultimately you have everything you need and there would be nothing to work towards. A progression system is incorporated into every game in one way or another. Some use levels, some use xp or in game currency linked to items or abilities. Then there are some that run in a linear direction and sort of directs your progress through points in a story. Of course the system depends on the genre of game but an online only game like this uses unlocks.

To some, these things don't matter and people just want to jump into a game and play with what they choose. Then there are others that like to work towards unlocks and work very hard to do it. I understand both sides of the coin because while I like having things in the game, sometimes accomplishing unlocks is satisfying.

To keep this short though like I said this is a question bases upon a matter of preference.

• Like 3

The only problem I have with the leveling system is that the EXP gained in the beta was doubled or something like that. I just hope the game doesn't become a grind or something like that haha.

• Like 2

Well, it's not like Counselors and Jasons are the only thing to unlock. Every time you level up, you gain new CP to spend on new perks and kill moves. Plus there are a lot of different clothing swaps for the Counselors. 

The answer to you question changes from person to person based upon their own personal preference. You are looking at a progression system as a restrictive system as opposed to a progression. If you look at playStation/Xbox/Steam you will notice that all platforms include achievements, Trophies and Badges. The reasoning for their existence is that its fun and gives people something to work towards. Not having those completed of course does not affect things in game but utilizes the same principals. Some see it as a way to keep people playing others might not. That all depends upon the persons preference. If you were given a game with no direction and could start out with everything throughout the game it would be cool for awhile but ultimately you have everything you need and there would be nothing to work towards. A progression system is incorporated into every game in one way or another. Some use levels, some use xp or in game currency linked to items or abilities. Then there are some that run in a linear direction and sort of directs your progress through points in a story. Of course the system depends on the genre of game but an online only game like this uses unlocks.

To some, these things don't matter and people just want to jump into a game and play with what they choose. Then there are others that like to work towards unlocks and work very hard to do it. I understand both sides of the coin because while I like having things in the game, sometimes accomplishing unlocks is satisfying.

To keep this short though like I said this is a question bases upon a matter of preference.

Regarding achievements, trophies and badges, I'm sure there could be stuff like that for killing everybody in a match, utilizing every kill in the game, surviving after 20min, being the first survivor, etc, etc. All of which would not require the game's characters to be locked behind levels to exist.

Regarding a game with no direction (which I understood you saying as "no progression", correct me if I'm wrong), I have been given games like that. Many, many, many times. To name a few: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Civilization, Diablo 1 and 2 (never seen 3, so I don't know), Dota, Grim Dawn, Counter-Strike. None of these games have characters (or in cs' case, guns) locked behind an account level. Yet, I finished all of those games (except for Dota and CS, for obvious reasons) several times. Cause they're fun and I wanted to see the ending with different characters, I wanted to go through the game with different characters (in some cases, at the same time. As in play a little with Hero 1, a little with Hero 2, so on...)

I'll take Dota as an example of an online-only game. Once you download it, you can use every single hero in the roster. Everything you get from "progressing" is - quite literally - useless. Meaning you don't unlock the core of the game, just some cosmetics and whatnot.

I understand unlocking stuff is satisfying, at a deep level in our brains. To me, however, that satisfaction is clouded by the sheer frustration of knowing I can't enjoy the full game before playing X hours. That frustration could easily be avoided if they just made character levels. Have them unlocked, but give them levels. Levels that hold behind them special titles, name-tags, portraits, whatever. That way people who want and enjoy the grind can work towards something without hindering the rest of us that just want to pop in the game for the fun of the game, not for the achievements. Is that so unreasonable to ask? Tell me I'm not crazy.

If I were given the option - in any game - between two links: "Download Locked Version" and "Download Unlocked Version", I would always choose the unlocked version. I think most gamers would. Maybe I'm wrong. It would surprise me if I were, though. Surprise and sadden me a little, too.

If games didn't have a leveling system, you would have everything unlocked at the beginning, which wouldn't be fun.

Games without unlocks aren't fun? So basically what's fun, in your argument, is the act of unlocking things and without it no core gameplay can hold its own. I named a few games earlier in this response. Do you find any of them to be fun? Keep in mind that unlocking cosmetics/getting achievements and unlocking core elements are two very, very different things.

---

I'll repeat the question to the devs if they somehow get a hold of this thread: why? Why is this system a thing in F13? What's the reasoning behind it?

It's the route they decided to go. Don't know what it is you want them to say.

The games you mentioned don't really need unlocks because it's more about just fighting (Mortal Combat and Street fighter at least). Admittedly I don't play those games. Don't play much shooters either, which also don't need unlocks as much.

I steer more towards action adventure, RPGs, and stealth games. To name several series: Assassins Creed, Arkham Asylum, Splinter Cell, Dishonored, Metal Gear Solid, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy. In many of those games unlocking abilities and weapons/gadgets/other items is rewarding and can change how you play the game from that point on.

Now as an online multiplayer game, Friday the 13th the Game may not seem to need unlocks, but that's the way the devs decided to go. Whether as an excuse for people to put more hours in or so the game won't be too easy at first. Like Jpops said, this is a question based upon a matter of preference.

Maybe instead of Tiffany unlocks at level 17 (or whatever), just have it as each counselor is worth an equal amount of points to unlock and we can unlock in the order we wish. If Jenny is a starting character then I've no interest in grinding too hard.

It's the route they decided to go. Don't know what it is you want them to say.

I want them to explain their thoughts and, hopefully, change their minds on the subject.

The games you mentioned don't really need unlocks because it's more about just fighting (Mortal Combat and Street fighter at least). Admittedly I don't play those games. Don't play much shooters either, which also don't need unlocks as much.

I steer more towards action adventure, RPGs, and stealth games. To name several series: Assassins Creed, Arkham Asylum, Splinter Cell, Dishonored, Metal Gear Solid, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy. In many of those games unlocking abilities and weapons/gadgets/other items is rewarding and can change how you play the game from that point on.

Now as an online multiplayer game, Friday the 13th the Game may not seem to need unlocks, but that's the way the devs decided to go. Whether as an excuse for people to put more hours in or so the game won't be too easy at first. Like Jpops said, this is a question based upon a matter of preference.

Now you got me cause the only one I've played there was Elder Scrolls (and just Skyrim). That said, though, Skyrim also has every race unlocked from the start.

And I get the preference argument, but there's a way, like I said before, to make it so every side can enjoy the game.

Maybe instead of Tiffany unlocks at level 17 (or whatever), just have it as each counselor is worth an equal amount of points to unlock and we can unlock in the order we wish. If Jenny is a starting character then I've no interest in grinding too hard.

That's a good example of a system that forces people to play a certain way. Even if there is unlocking, it could be more flexible and - who knows - completely different. I'm glad you shared your thoughts.

Personally I would prefer all counselors be available from the start and instead have perks and clothing as unlockables. I don't like the idea of some counselors being locked and therefore being seen as "better" than other counselors. I know they are going to remain locked but in the Beta it was a heck of a grind to try to get to level 16 to get Tiffany. I imagine the final game will have some counselors be locked until something like level 30. I would prefer instead all counselors be unlocked at a lower level with powerful perks and later-movie Jasons(Parts 6 and up) be unlocked past level 13. With Jason though I think it's ok to lock them.

• Like 1

I don't have too much a problem with it.

Adds more reason to play for me. True they could have everything unlocked to start, then have hidden unlockables too on launch.

I suppose that's what the perks are for. Hidden unlockables.

The abilities, if ever brought back. Will be unlockables.

Regarding achievements, trophies and badges, I'm sure there could be stuff like that for killing everybody in a match, utilizing every kill in the game, surviving after 20min, being the first survivor, etc, etc. All of which would not require the game's characters to be locked behind levels to exist.

Regarding a game with no direction (which I understood you saying as "no progression", correct me if I'm wrong), I have been given games like that. Many, many, many times. To name a few: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Civilization, Diablo 1 and 2 (never seen 3, so I don't know), Dota, Grim Dawn, Counter-Strike. None of these games have characters (or in cs' case, guns) locked behind an account level. Yet, I finished all of those games (except for Dota and CS, for obvious reasons) several times. Cause they're fun and I wanted to see the ending with different characters, I wanted to go through the game with different characters (in some cases, at the same time. As in play a little with Hero 1, a little with Hero 2, so on...)

I'll take Dota as an example of an online-only game. Once you download it, you can use every single hero in the roster. Everything you get from "progressing" is - quite literally - useless. Meaning you don't unlock the core of the game, just some cosmetics and whatnot.

I understand unlocking stuff is satisfying, at a deep level in our brains. To me, however, that satisfaction is clouded by the sheer frustration of knowing I can't enjoy the full game before playing X hours. That frustration could easily be avoided if they just made character levels. Have them unlocked, but give them levels. Levels that hold behind them special titles, name-tags, portraits, whatever. That way people who want and enjoy the grind can work towards something without hindering the rest of us that just want to pop in the game for the fun of the game, not for the achievements. Is that so unreasonable to ask? Tell me I'm not crazy.

If I were given the option - in any game - between two links: "Download Locked Version" and "Download Unlocked Version", I would always choose the unlocked version. I think most gamers would. Maybe I'm wrong. It would surprise me if I were, though. Surprise and sadden me a little, too.

Games without unlocks aren't fun? So basically what's fun, in your argument, is the act of unlocking things and without it no core gameplay can hold its own. I named a few games earlier in this response. Do you find any of them to be fun? Keep in mind that unlocking cosmetics/getting achievements and unlocking core elements are two very, very different things.

---

I'll repeat the question to the devs if they somehow get a hold of this thread: why? Why is this system a thing in F13? What's the reasoning behind it?

Well fighting games have long skirted such systems. I enjoy fighting games personally but mostly when I have friends over which is rare the older you get. I usually get through the campaign type mode and then move to online matches. After that I generally drift away from them and move on to another game. Mortal Kombat over the years has moved into the unlockables to entice gamers to work towards a goal. The most recent Mortal Kombat and I know a few before made use of a crypt / cemetery to spend points on unlockables in game. They also last iteration allowed you to spend roughly $40 to unlock a bunch of things if grinding was not your cup of tea. Gaming has changed a lot since some examples you have cited. A lot of developers offer DLC and unlockables to extend game cycles and give gamers a reason to return.

In regard to Diablo they don't per se have unlockables but in that type of game there is progression to keep people engaged. There is elite gear that you have to grind for using an RNG loot system and offering such items with magic find to increase the chances in RNG to find those largely sought after items. Blizzard had an auction house for Diablo 3 which was closed down because people were buying end game gear and they were ultimately dropping off after they got everything they wanted.

This game will indeed have achievements but the point I was making with those is that is yet another way to keep people engaged and returning to play the game.

There are several different way to implement unlockables depending on the type of game. Unlockables are an something that I think will remain a common place in gaming as developers look for ways to keep gamers engaged and at times offer monetary incentives for unlocks as a way to keep revenues coming is post release to offset the large cost of development and also buy time before they need to funnel those funds into the next iteration of the series if it happens to be one.

Personally I would prefer all counselors be available from the start and instead have perks and clothing as unlockables. I don't like the idea of some counselors being locked and therefore being seen as "better" than other counselors. I know they are going to remain locked but in the Beta it was a heck of a grind to try to get to level 16 to get Tiffany. I imagine the final game will have some counselors be locked until something like level 30. I would prefer instead all counselors be unlocked at a lower level with powerful perks and later-movie Jasons(Parts 6 and up) be unlocked past level 13. With Jason though I think it's ok to lock them.

I don't have too much a problem with it.

Adds more reason to play for me. True they could have everything unlocked to start, then have hidden unlockables too on launch.

I suppose that's what the perks are for. Hidden unlockables.

The abilities, if ever brought back. Will be unlockables.

I agree with this. To me the biggest problem is locking characters behind a grind-wall.

Well fighting games have long skirted such systems. I enjoy fighting games personally but mostly when I have friends over which is rare the older you get. I usually get through the campaign type mode and then move to online matches. After that I generally drift away from them and move on to another game. Mortal Kombat over the years has moved into the unlockables to entice gamers to work towards a goal. The most recent Mortal Kombat and I know a few before made use of a crypt / cemetery to spend points on unlockables in game. They also last iteration allowed you to spend roughly $40 to unlock a bunch of things if grinding was not your cup of tea. Gaming has changed a lot since some examples you have cited. A lot of developers offer DLC and unlockables to extend game cycles and give gamers a reason to return.

In regard to Diablo they don't per se have unlockables but in that type of game there is progression to keep people engaged. There is elite gear that you have to grind for using an RNG loot system and offering such items with magic find to increase the chances in RNG to find those largely sought after items. Blizzard had an auction house for Diablo 3 which was closed down because people were buying end game gear and they were ultimately dropping off after they got everything they wanted.

This game will indeed have achievements but the point I was making with those is that is yet another way to keep people engaged and returning to play the game.

There are several different way to implement unlockables depending on the type of game. Unlockables are an something that I think will remain a common place in gaming as developers look for ways to keep gamers engaged and at times offer monetary incentives for unlocks as a way to keep revenues coming is post release to offset the large cost of development and also buy time before they need to funnel those funds into the next iteration of the series if it happens to be one.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely changed. In my eyes, for worse. But that's not the point here. I'm suggesting a middle-ground for this issue.

Yeah, Diablo has a "progression", in the sense that every game has a start, middle and end. I'm talking about "Account Progression", though, not game progression. Of course, playing Diablo 1 or 2 and starting the game off with The Grandfather pretty much eliminates the game itself. I don't consider the items in that sort of game to be "locked", just like the car keys in F13 aren't "locked" in any way.

I agree that it's another way to keep people engaged, but at the expense of the other portion of the playerbase (the ones that don't appreciate or enjoy the grind). Like you said, there are different ways to implement unlockables. So F13 doesn't have to have locked characters and still be able to give players valuable unlockables and things to work towards. I think you agree with me on this. My biggest issue with the current unlock system is that it benefits a portion of the playerbase, but punishes another. A middle-ground would be a much better place for it to be, I'd think.

I have always enjoyed a game that had unlockable incentives based on good gameplay. Some are easy, some aren't. It gives a sense of accomplishment, and binds you closer to your game and your abilities as a player.

However, when that unlockable is a far flung goal that becomes in incessant grind, for hours or even days, then it loses it's luster, and becomes an annoyance rather than a reward. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

I have always enjoyed a game that had unlockable incentives based on good gameplay. Some are easy, some aren't. It gives a sense of accomplishment, and binds you closer to your game and your abilities as a player.

However, when that unlockable is a far flung goal that becomes in incessant grind, for hours or even days, then it loses it's luster, and becomes an annoyance rather than a reward. Just my two cents.

That's the trick, Mark. You always need to work to an end, but it has to payoff before it turns into a slog. 

• Like 1

That's the trick, Mark. You always need to work to an end, but it has to payoff before it turns into a slog.

Exactly. As long as the developers don't turn it into a blood pressure rising/torture fest, than it can be quite fun. If they do (and they know if it is), then it becomes an unnessential burden.

I think I could live with something like that. Would be nice to know how long it takes, though. I have a suspicion it's more on the annoying side at the moment, from what I've heard from beta players. Thank you for those cents.

But yea, it was exactly what I was saying earlier. When the frustration surpasses the satisfaction, it's just not worth it.

I think I could live with something like that. Would be nice to know how long it takes, though. I have a suspicion it's more on the annoying side at the moment, from what I've heard from beta players. Thank you for those cents.

But yea, it was exactly what I was saying earlier. When the frustration surpasses the satisfaction, it's just not worth it.

Yeah, me too. Like I said, the devs know what is torture and what is challenging or downright easy. The guys working this up certainly do, many years experience. Most working folk don't have the time and/or patience to sweat out a far flung skin or ability, a happy medium is where it's at (hopefully), based off good gameplay by the individual (a little luck never hurt anybody either).

Yeah, me too. Like I said, the devs know what is torture and what is challenging or downright easy. The guys working this up certainly do, many years experience. Most working folk don't have the time and/or patience to sweat out a far flung skin or ability, a happy medium is where it's at (hopefully), based off good gameplay by the individual (a little luck never hurt anybody either).

That's why I've been saying in a few of my posts that I'd love for a dev to talk about this. Cause I'm not sure they do know what's challenging or downright easy (or frustrating, or satisfying), so why not tell us a little bit about what they're thinking? Of course we want to believe they're doing great work. But if F13 turns out to be a chore, that'll be just another game out there with a nonsensical progression.

I still think that having characters unlocked would be the best move, then just have achievements and other stuff be unlockable for the grinders. But if they think locking characters makes for a satisfying experience, how are they balancing the frustration of the rest of us of not having things available? Sure, it's a matter of choice, but it seems to me that setting it so that you have to unlock characters along with everything else might be too much. From my personal experience, for instance, I didn't get Siege cause it had a system like this. Other people I know didn't buy that game either for the same reason. They loved the free weekend, but they would never buy something that they then would need to unlock.

It just seems to me that locking characters is such a visible line in the sand that it might be wiser to just make characters available and keep achievements, trophies, whatever, locked behind progression. Like I said earlier, maybe just make each character have their own level and have things go from there.

So I guess another fair question is: is the middle-ground in this issue having characters locked or unlocked? If we had to actually draw a line on what's locked, what would it look like? I'll try to "draw" a representation:

6 Characters / 20 Characters + achievements + abilities + trophies + portraits + titles + character levels

or maybe something like:

26 Characters / the other stuff I mentioned

Or some other way of dividing it? I'd prefer it the second way.

Now there was one other thing I wanted to talk about, but I wasn't sure how to put it (and I'm still not completely sure I should) cause it's even more of an emotional side of the conversation. But after thinking about it, it might be worth putting it out there: F13 is clearly catering to the fans of the series. It feels to me, however, that this system forces (and let's not kid ourselves, progression is forced. Like I said in an earlier post, if there was a choice, I would choose to have everything unlocked. I think most gamers would. But it would be an amazing experience to release a game - and now I'm just thinking out loud - that would give you the option the first time you launched it - and the first time only - between "Play Locked Version" or "Play Unlocked Version", then see what people would choose) fans - and everybody else - to play the game the way the devs want it to be played before the fans - and everybody else - can experience the game the way they want to, play the Jason they love the most, play the counselor they think is cool/looks good/dies well (Chad), etc, etc. In a way, progression tells you how to experience the game, when I think it should be the other way around: people should experience the game how they want (and that includes mastering a character before moving on, for instance, so win-win there). Progression doesn't give us that choice. Or rather, not being able to choose between progression or no progression. As a fan, if I have to grind to unlock my favourite Jason or counselor, it might not be worth it. F13 is supposed to be this amazing game, but I don't get to experience it fully before grinding for levels? That doesn't make sense to me, from a fan's perspective. I realize this isn't exactly debatable cause I already put it under a certain light, but I still think it's a strong argument and something to take into consideration.

And now that I think of it, I'm glad I brought that up, cause I'd like to hear from people (not just the devs): would you have a problem with people choosing (if they could) to play and unlocked F13? With people having the choice, from day 1, of which characters to play? If so, why? I'm really interested in the answer to this. Would any of you have a problem with people being able to play whichever character they wanted? If so, why?

Personally I don't mind it. I think it is quite fun having to work to unlock things tbh.

• Like 1

I have no qualms with unlocking Jason skins, clothing, new kills etc.

But I would prefer either 1) All counselors unlocked from the start 2) Unlocked counselors being unlocked in an order you choose or 3) You pick your starting counselor from any of them and then the rest are locked and need to be unlocked.

I don't like the idea of having to grind for a month to unlock the one char I actually really want to play as while others got to play their fav from day 1 or was their first unlock. Meanwhile mine was the very last to unlock. That would really suck.

Again, no issue with unlocks. Just do it fairly so everyone can get their favorite as soon as possible and then work towards others at their own pace.

• Like 1

Part 2 Jason and Tiffany took forever to unlock and that was with a faster XP apparently. The good thing is you can get XP in a lot of different ways in the matches.

I feel like they will have 5 counselors available to start. Then 5 to unlock. I think they might have Part 3 Jason and Part 7 Jason playable from the start. One undead Jason and one human Jason.

So...

Starting 5 counselors

AJ

Brandon

Kenny

Jenny

Deborah

5 Unlockables

Adam

Vanessa

Tiffany

Chad

Eric

The last Jason to be unlocked will probably Part 9 Jason. I think Part 8, Part 6 and Part 2 Jason will be mid range level unlockables and I expect the Savini Jason to be ready to start. For those who paid for the Savini Jason. It would be important to have him available from the start, or VERY EARLY. Maybe then the first Jason to be unlocked after the standard Part 3 and Part 7.

Could be totally wrong of course.