Wes said this was a bug during beta and it was fixed. So no more talking while hiding.

I missed this also- this would help hiding quite a bit.

• Like 1

I think all these various issues will be addressed with patches and once everybody has had a chance to play across all platforms upon release. Just as long as the forum stays active, and the ideas/suggestions keep it moving along. I believe even after we get our hands on it, the game will be milestones better with constant updates and or DLC, say, 6 months from then.

Gun and Illfonic seem like they are mostly comprised of superfans like us, and 'Friday The 13th' is now their baby, they probably buzz daily with the possibilities of future upgrades to it.

It's not every developing team that gets it's chance with the "Golden Trophy" of such a memorable franchise of classic 80's horror. They know this, and they love it, and so will we...soon. The sales and word of mouth popularity could keep this gem lively for quite some time.

Heck, even LJN's NES "Friday" has it's own figure's!!! Also remains a beloved title after what, 28 years or so. This one will fall into that category as well, only better, like fine wine. The mechanics will get overhauled here and there, it will just take time and feedback. ;)

• Like 3

It seems the dev's are trying to make this game make you feel as if you're in a movie. & (and I could be wrong I haven't watched the movies in a minute) but there wasn't a whole lot of hiding as much as running in the movies. If they did hid it seemed to be to wait until he turned around so they could hit & stun him so they could get away. The ones that did hide always seemed to die. I watched some beta footage & most of the counselors that survived didn't really hide, rather ran. So it feels like the system works well, but that's my opinion.

Alice

-hides in the pantry (found)

-hides behind the dock sections (not found)

Ginny

-hides in cedar tree (stuns Jason (kicks him in balls)

-hides under the bed (found)

-hides behind yellow car (not found)

Chris

-hides in closet (found)

-hides behind hay (not found (knocks him out w shovel)

-hides by door (stuns him with log)

Trish

-sort of hides in tommys room (stuns him with tv)

Part V not applicable

Part VI not much hiding

Maddie

-hides in shed (killed)

Part VIII not much hiding

JGTH not much hiding

Hiding was a part of the early movies especially

Alice

-hides in the pantry (found)

-hides behind the dock sections (not found)

Ginny

-hides in cedar tree (stuns Jason (kicks him in balls)

-hides under the bed (found)

-hides behind yellow car (not found)

Chris

-hides in closet (found)

-hides behind hay (not found (knocks him out w shovel)

-hides by door (stuns him with log)

Trish

-sort of hides in tommys room (stuns him with tv)

Part V not applicable

Part VI not much hiding

Maddie

-hides in shed (killed)

Part VIII not much hiding

JGTH not much hiding

Hiding was a part of the early movies especially

Good post!

I forgot where Chris hides by hanging on to the rafters in the barn before falling and ass smashing his face.

Part of what makes it impossible was teh REALLY HEAVY BREATHING.

Like JESUS get an inhaler if it's that hard to breathe in an open closet.

Part of what makes it impossible was teh REALLY HEAVY BREATHING.

Like JESUS get an inhaler if it's that hard to breathe in an open closet.

I don't really like the hold-breath mechanic. It was good in Alien Isolation because the alien would *never* speculatively attack hiding places. If he saw you go in, 100% you'd get attacked. Otherwise, f you held breath when he was close (and didn't bump around or have beepy tracker up), you wouldn't get attacked.

In the beta it seemed like holding breath was pointless because Jason just smashed it anyway (sense skill tipped him off and/or just being thorough). I'd be fine with breath holding just being removed entirely.

I don't really like the hold-breath mechanic. It was good in Alien Isolation because the alien would *never* speculatively attack hiding places. If he saw you go in, 100% you'd get attacked. Otherwise, f you held breath when he was close (and didn't bump around or have beepy tracker up), you wouldn't get attacked.

In the beta it seemed like holding breath was pointless because Jason just smashed it anyway (sense skill tipped him off and/or just being thorough). I'd be fine with breath holding just being removed entirely.

I have no qualms with getting killed in a hiding spot because the Jason player was being thorough. That's a risk you have to take.

I don't like the hold breath mechanic though if doing so still lets Jason sense me. And on top of that, you can only hold your breath for about 5-7 seconds and it's just not enough time especially since you take a big gasp of audible air and alert Jason to you.

The average person can hold their breath for at least 30 seconds especially if a killer is on the loose and they're in adrenaline mode trying not to be found.

7 seconds is barely enough time for Jason to walk around the corner and look around for a second before leaving.You'll almost always get heard gasping for air in that time.

Thus why holding your breath is almost pointless I think. You're better off just standing there and hoping your composure is high enough to not give you away.

• Like 1

I have no qualms with getting killed in a hiding spot because the Jason player was being thorough. That's a risk you have to take.

I don't like the hold breath mechanic though if doing so still lets Jason sense me. And on top of that, you can only hold your breath for about 5-7 seconds and it's just not enough time especially since you take a big gasp of audible air and alert Jason to you.

The average person can hold their breath for at least 30 seconds especially if a killer is on the loose and they're in adrenaline mode trying not to be found.

7 seconds is barely enough time for Jason to walk around the corner and look around for a second before leaving.You'll almost always get heard gasping for air in that time.

Thus why holding your breath is almost pointless I think. You're better off just standing there and hoping your composure is high enough to not give you away.

Yeah that's basically how I feel. The hold breath mechanic is essentially useless. I also have no problems if the Jason player decides to cover all the bases and smash up hiding places on general principles, I just don't see the point in playing the dumb hold-breath game while he's doing it since it'll just make the breath noise and give me away anyway.

I figure you should just either be hiding, or not hiding, since holding your breath accomplishes little and almost always has negative effects.

• Like 2

We'll just have to wait and see how it's been tweaked at launch. Hopefully it's more viable now.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:15 PM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

The exterior hiding places like tents and outhouses offer no benefit because in the Beta they glowed bright red under Sense. That defeats the point of hiding.

If this is still true it needs to be changed or what else is the point of even having the tents or outhouses? 

Doesn't hiding help with the effects of fear?

There's still some mechanics stuff I need to get 100% on. Flares and fire crackers too...

I also remember during the beta...the pocket knife is supposed to be a "get out of jail free". When Jason grabs you, is it supposed to AUTOMATICALLY stab with the pocket knife? Or do you have to press the button assigned to your knife? Because I could have swore I got grabbed by Jason with a pocket knife on me and it didn't do anything. A glitch, possibly?

IDK, hiding never seems to work well in slasher films, it shouldn't work all that well here. Jason hears all, sees all, knows all. 

I'm definitely going to be using hiding for Jenny, A.J. and Adam. Not sure how much I'll do it with the others.

The hiding feels like something used to get away when his back is turned. If I stay under a bed for instance, I get the feeling the Jason player will just methodically stab each in turn and eventually get me. Whereas if he gets the wrong one first, it gives me time to get out and leg it. Or, if my nerve is good, crouch shuffle outta there.

12 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

Doesn't hiding help with the effects of fear?

There's still some mechanics stuff I need to get 100% on. Flares and fire crackers too...

I also remember during the beta...the pocket knife is supposed to be a "get out of jail free". When Jason grabs you, is it supposed to AUTOMATICALLY stab with the pocket knife? Or do you have to press the button assigned to your knife? Because I could have swore I got grabbed by Jason with a pocket knife on me and it didn't do anything. A glitch, possibly?

I didn't (couldn't) play the Beta but I thought it was a button press to use it. So that it doesn't get automatically used, in case the grabbed counselor either thinks they'll be strong enough to break free or has a friend right there that can help out, rather than using up the knife when it might not 100% be needed. Given how valuable they are, especially for low Composure counselors that suck at breaking free such as Chad.

4 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

I'm definitely going to be using hiding for Jenny, A.J. and Adam. Not sure how much I'll do it with the others.

The hiding feels like something used to get away when his back is turned. If I stay under a bed for instance, I get the feeling the Jason player will just methodically stab each in turn and eventually get me. Whereas if he gets the wrong one first, it gives me time to get out and leg it. Or, if my nerve is good, crouch shuffle outta there.

I didn't (couldn't) play the Beta but I thought it was a button press to use it. So that it doesn't get automatically used, in case the grabbed counselor either thinks they'll be strong enough to break free or has a friend right there that can help out, rather than using up the knife when it might not 100% be needed. Given how valuable they are, especially for low Composure counselors that suck at breaking free such as Chad.

Great point. That makes sense. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrandMasterLynx said:

When Jason was chasing me as AJ I would hide in a nearby bush and Jason would just walk right past me and just Morph away

Maby he didnt use his sense at the moment, but it was so easy to manage the sense.. you activate is one second - turn off, activate - turn  off ... repeat

So the cooldown is really senseless, because you can use it forever, if you just turn it on for one second to see his hiding place.

The same problem when someone hides in a building, there is no way to escape his sense then, because he go out of it, use sense and knows that you are still is in the building :(

On 5/2/2017 at 4:32 AM, DamonD7 said:

No pocket knives were an auto activation. Every other item was a button press though.

On 5/2/2017 at 2:30 PM, Arakos said:

Maby he didnt use his sense at the moment, but it was so easy to manage the sense.. you activate is one second - turn off, activate - turn  off ... repeat

So the cooldown is really senseless, because you can use it forever, if you just turn it on for one second to see his hiding place.

The same problem when someone hides in a building, there is no way to escape his sense then, because he go out of it, use sense and knows that you are still is in the building :(

Yeah, this is a problem. Jason should be able to turn on sense and then use it to the limit and then have to wait for the cooldown to use it again. =/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JyusannichiKibou said:

Yeah, this is a problem. Jason should be able to turn on sense and then use it to the limit and then have to wait for the cooldown to use it again. =/

Flickering sense was strong, but unless you had a VERY good idea of where folks where, you basically had to leave it on while using shift.

It was mentioned that Sense is no longer camp wide from the get go and that stealth affects it more now. So its not quite so super broken anymore.

Basically sense will be weaker earlier on now. The first few minutes will now more than likely be setup time for planting bear traps and gathering knifes.

Also I tend to break the doors on important buildings early on anyway (Phone doors and windows go bye bye, bear trap on the phone box as well).. so Jason has some things he can do to prep now.

Over all with the addition of traps and the reduction of sense power i expect games to run quite a bit longer than they did in the beta.

On 03/05/2017 at 7:21 PM, EscoNitz said:

No pocket knives were an auto activation. Every other item was a button press though.

So AldermachXI, I could well be wrong on this. Seems it is meant to be automatic, and worth mentioning if it doesn't work that way when you play the actual game.