wes

Disarming Jason Traps

How many pocket knives are present on the map, total? I think there are about five, maybe a few more but not many.

That means if Jason sets his traps in front of essential locations (phone, car door-driver's seat, etc...), you need to waste all the map's pocket knives on disarming the traps, if you're facing a good Jason.

Does this change mean there will be more pocket knives? If not, I wish any weapon could be used...

How many pocket knives are present on the map, total? I think there are about five, maybe a few more but not many.

That means if Jason sets his traps in front of essential locations (phone, car door-driver's seat, etc...), you need to waste all the map's pocket knives on disarming the traps, if you're facing a good Jason.

Does this change mean there will be more pocket knives? If not, I wish any weapon could be used...

A good jason wouldn't let you use the pocket knives to begin with tho so the premise is flawed from the get-go...

I mean if there is to be more pocket knives so you can disarm all traps and still stab jason, then i think it's fair that jason gets to see if you have pocket knives to begin with and act accordingly. Since we're going that route.

The choice is there because it's an important one. You shouldn't have your cake and eat it too, y'know?

I'd like to see how it plays out WITHOUT being able to disarm them. I'd also rather not see some ridiculous number of pocket knives on maps if/when the ability to disarm them does go active. 

Balance is making decisions to survive, not having a guaranteed escape for every scenario. If you gotta use up the limited pocket knives on traps, so be it. No need for there to be more of them.

I just don't want the game to turn into Jason mostly trapping and camping objectives instead of just chasing counselors.

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of the whole "traps" thing. I think if it was limited to non zombie Jasons it would be alright but even still- yes, he used traps occasionally but not like this. It's not a game-breaker but now so much of the focus is going to be on these things.

Also, so Jason rises from the dead and makes some traps? Or goes and finds his old traps? Jason returns from hell and instead of using his new-found hell powers- he makes little traps and covers them with leaves? It could turn out to be fun but someone has to see how stupid this sounds.

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of the whole "traps" thing. I think if it was limited to non zombie Jasons it would be alright but even still- yes, he used traps occasionally but not like this. It's not a game-breaker but now so much of the focus is going to be on these things.

Also, so Jason rises from the dead and makes some traps? Or goes and finds his old traps? Jason returns from hell and instead of using his new-found hell powers- he makes little traps and covers them with leaves? It could turn out to be fun but someone has to see how stupid this sounds.

This is a big issue I have with it. As far as Undead Jason goes. It's against lore. I can't imagine Part VI Jason rising from the grave to go back to his shack and spend a good couple of hours knocking up some traps whilst doing some general DIY and home maintenance. Same goes for watery grave Jason's and fresh out hell Jason.

It breaks lore and character. The beta gameplay worked fine, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Why the need for such a dramatic departure to shoehorn in a game mechanic that isn't needed?

I agree that too much focus may be on something that has very little to do with the films.

I want a stalk and slash chase through the woods, which feels like a slasher movie. Not military like setting placement of proximity devices. Definitely my least favourite aspect of this game, in that it has very little to do with the series. Can understand desperate counselors using traps found on site. Jason wouldn't use them. Goes against character. It's open to interpretation whether Part 2 Jason even set the rope trap up in that film.

Many long time fans of the films are going to feel this trap stuff feels out of place for sure. Jason settings traps certainly wasn't a part of the Jason MO Ive known and understood for the last 30 years.

This is a big issue I have with it. As far as Undead Jason goes. It's against lore. I can't imagine Part VI Jason rising from the grave to go back to his shack and spend a good couple of hours knocking up some traps whilst doing some general DIY and home maintenance. Same goes for watery grave Jason's and fresh out hell Jason.

It breaks lore and character. The beta gameplay worked fine, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Why the need for such a dramatic departure to shoehorn in a game mechanic that isn't needed?

I agree that too much focus may be on something that has very little to do with the films.

I want a stalk and slash chase through the woods, which feels like a slasher movie. Not military like setting placement of proximity devices. Definitely my least favourite aspect of this game, in that it has very little to do with the series. Can understand desperate counselors using traps found on site. Jason wouldn't use them. Goes against character. It's open to interpretation whether Part 2 Jason even set the rope trap up in that film.

Many long time fans of the films are going to feel this trap stuff feels out of place for sure. Jason settings traps certainly wasn't a part of the Jason MO Ive known and understood for the last 30 years.

Don't use traps.

I've solved several paragraphs of issues in one sentence.

Don't use traps.

I've solved several paragraphs of issues in one sentence.

Doesn't solve anything does it if I'm a counselor more often than not and immersion is broken.
  • Like 1

Doesn't solve anything does it if I'm a counselor more often that not and immersion is broken.

My contention is that Jason can take time to learn how to throw and tomahawk axes and knives, and equip himself with a damn arsenal in Part 6 but setting up a Bear Trap is out of the damn question.

My contention is that Jason can take time to learn how to throw and tomahawk axes and knives, and equip himself with a damn arsenal in Part 6 but setting up a Bear Trap is out of the damn question.

There's an obvious difference between using blunt or sharp objects you find and making traps.

This won't be the last time I say this- watch the movies and you'll understand how it breaks lore.

They're not bear traps. He threw weapons in the films, he didn't go about laying traps for victims in the films. It's not in character. Different ball game.

There's an obvious difference between using blunt or sharp objects you find and making traps.

This won't be the last time I say this- watch the movies and you'll understand how it breaks lore.

I'm sure anyone can just pick up a fire axe and throw it like a tomahawk without practice, right?

They're not bear traps. He threw weapons in the films, he didn't go about laying traps for victims in the films. It's not in character. Different ball game.

Yes but I think it's safe to say that if he can whip a damn knife professionally he can set a bear trap.

I mean, you keep bringing up lore but the lore is crappy. It's inconsistent and provides few explainations... Jason just magically survives the drowning and what? The little special needs kid survives?

I don't think it's out of the question that Jason, especially part 2, can use traps, how the hell would he survive without basic hunting knowledge? I especially don't think it's out of the question for him to use it against counselors.

Lore is bendable. This isn't as dramatically inaccurate as you're claiming. Unless you want inconsistencies to remain so and not take liberties in which case I'm glad you're not designing the game.

I'm sure anyone can just pick up a fire axe and throw it like a tomahawk without practice, right?

Yes but I think it's safe to say that if he can whip a damn knife professionally he can set a bear trap.

I mean, you keep bringing up lore but the lore is crappy. It's inconsistent and provides few explainations... Jason just magically survives the drowning and what? The little special needs kid survives?

I don't think it's out of the question that Jason, especially part 2, can use traps, how the hell would he survive without basic hunting knowledge? I especially don't think it's out of the question for him to use it against counselors.

Lore is bendable. This isn't as dramatically inaccurate as you're claiming. Unless you want inconsistencies to remain so and not take liberties in which case I'm glad you're not designing the game.

We get it, you're not a fan of the films and it doesn't have to be accurate for you. And we also get it- you don't get it.

The rest here isn't a response to Res, just a general elaboration on my previous comments:

5 of 7 Jasons in the game are undead, one of them literally just returned from hell. Having an undead zombie reliant on traps, which he takes the time to make (or recover) and then cover with leaves, (when he can crush skulls, break backs and punch through chests) is pretty stupid.

I understand this is only one part of his arsenal but it's unnecessary for the undead Jasons. I'm fine with Part 2 and 3 having *a* trap or any Jason being able to use the same bear traps counselors can but having 3-5 traps so Jason players can camp objectives sounds like we're getting into Dead by Daylight territory.

As well, only a pocket knife can disarm a trap? The explaination that the physics would be wonky if they allowed branches or other options to set off the trap is exactly why Jason traps shouldn't be in. If the system can't be properly implemented, why give a half-assed or broken one at all?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9nazm3_OXac

• Like 1

Only 2009 remake Jason used traps,maybe part 2,3 and 4 too,but we never saw it use one in those movies.

Zombie Jason on the other hand,he's too braindead to come up with something like that,because...well...he's a zombie of course.

It is kinda lore breaking a bit,and seriously ResolutionBlaze,i think you should go watch the other movies in the franchise,having watched only part 3 and checked wiki wont be enough.

• Like 1

I've seen every movie about 100 times, and I don't have a problem with Jason being able to set traps in the game. I mean, he built a habitable shack out in the woods, is it really hard to believe that he learned to make traps? You guys don't give Jason enough credit; he's a killer and a survivor.

• Like 1

I've seen every movie about 100 times, and I don't have a problem with Jason being able to set traps in the game. I mean, he built a habitable shack out in the woods, is it really hard to believe that he learned to make traps? You guys don't give Jason enough credit; he's a killer and a survivor.

I give the guy a lot of credit, he can crush skulls and make people's eyes pop out. On a side note, it was a pretty shitty shack. ;)

I give the guy a lot of credit, he can crush skulls and make people's eyes pop out. On a side note, it was a pretty shitty shack. ;)

At least it had indoor plumbing.

I actually think this is a really balanced feature, the same risk-reward type deal that I can really love in an intense survival situation. Thanks for listening to the community's feedback Wes, much appreciated. 

Just because YOU didn't see it in the movies somewhere, doesn't mean Jason is a complete moron and can ONLY use.. 'machete, hammer, weed whacker' and stuff you saw him use... he's a being with a brain.. he can use stuff.  he can use traps.   Not 100% of all things you see HAVE  to be film based.  Let the developers have a little bit of creative freedom for god sakes... it's honestly not THAT HARD to believe that Jason  can set crappy traps of his own around the camp.

It won't break immersion. ;)

• Like 2

Just because YOU didn't see it in the movies somewhere, doesn't mean Jason is a complete moron and can ONLY use.. 'machete, hammer, weed whacker' and stuff you saw him use... he's a being with a brain.. he can use stuff. he can use traps. Not 100% of all things you see HAVE to be film based. Let the developers have a little bit of creative freedom for god sakes... it's honestly not THAT HARD to believe that Jason can set crappy traps of his own around the camp.

No chill.

How have they been working out so far? I imagine they must be in the build you're playing. Share your thoughts? :P

• Like 1

Just because YOU didn't see it in the movies somewhere, doesn't mean Jason is a complete moron and can ONLY use.. 'machete, hammer, weed whacker' and stuff you saw him use... he's a being with a brain.. he can use stuff. he can use traps. Not 100% of all things you see HAVE to be film based. Let the developers have a little bit of creative freedom for god sakes... it's honestly not THAT HARD to believe that Jason can set crappy traps of his own around the camp.

I didn't fucking say he wasn't capable did I? I said it's not something Jason would do FFS. You got a real patronising tone all over this forum.

• Like 5

I didn't fucking say he wasn't capable did I? I said it's not something Jason would do FFS. You got a real patronising tone all over this forum.

Sorry but gotta agree with Splatterhouse, and that signature is cringe worthy.

• Like 2

I dont mind that Jason can use traps,it' just that i think it's gonna be a bit weird seeing the zombie variants of Jason placing traps on the ground.

Seeing Part 2 (and part 3+4 since it happen directly after part 2) and 2009 remake Jason putting traps would be mostly believable,he's been living in the woods for years so him putting traps to catch animals like rabbits or whatever there's in the wood to eat is understandable.

By the time he became a zombie,his behaviours became more mechanical,he doesnt need to eat anymore or drink or breath to live,he originally was a killer and a hunter, but now he's more like a killing machine,he's more focused on killing the peoples that are in his sight and finding what item he can find to kill someone with it,unless zombie Jason decide to use a beartrap to close it on someone's head...ouch.

Like i said,i dont mind Jason using traps in the game if it's for creativity purpose,but we should be careful to not stray too far from the films or else the game might end up turning into something a bit less recognizable.