wes

Disarming Jason Traps

I like the idea someone had of using the tree branch instead of the knife. It'd make the game go on that little longer by forcing players to go out and search for one and possibly get caught by Jason. Whereas it's very easy to just pick up a knife at the beginning of the game.

It might sound nice, but let's be realistic. Who in their right mind is going to anticipate traps when they simply planned to have a quiet night camping in the woods, not expecting a serial killer to come along and ruIn it?

I like the idea someone had of using the tree branch instead of the knife. It'd make the game go on that little longer by forcing players to go out and search for one and possibly get caught by Jason. Whereas it's very easy to just pick up a knife at the beginning of the game.

What is this tree branch everyone's talking about? I never saw this in the beta.

What is this tree branch everyone's talking about? I never saw this in the beta.

It seems like it was a rare weapon that spawned. People thought that it somehow ties into defeating Jason possibly. I saw it maybe once or twice and left it alone.

It might sound nice, but let's be realistic. Who in their right mind is going to anticipate traps when they simply planned to have a quiet night camping in the woods, not expecting a serial killer to come along and ruIn it?

What ate you talking about?

Shit has already hit the fan.

What ate you talking about?

Shit has already hit the fan.

I think he means that the events leading up to all them around the campfire. They are all minding their own business and Jason shows up and starts killing them. They didn't anticipate Jason lol

I think he means that the events leading up to all them around the campfire. They are all minding their own business and Jason shows up and starts killing them. They didn't anticipate Jason lol

Thanks! That is exactly what I am talking about. ???? Ain't nobody looking for a stick. They trying to make themselves feel safe and figure out:

A ) How to stay alive.

B ) Can we find help?

C ) Can we escape? If yes, how do we escape?

Finding and disarming traps is the last thing on these people's minds. Simply noticing a trap is one thing, but actively looking for one? Come on now...

These characters are trying to get to safety. If they are going to look for a weapon the last thing they're going to want is a stick. They are going to want to lay hands on something solid! Machete, handaxe, wrench, baseball bat, pitchfork, a rock even. Something that is not going to break in one hit when they make that vain attack on Jason.

These characters are trying to get to safety. If they are going to look for a weapon the last thing they're going to want is a stick. They are going to want to lay hands on something solid! Machete, handaxe, wrench, baseball bat, pitchfork, a rock even. Something that is not going to break in one hit when they make that vain attack on Jason.

They're in a camp in a forest. If I found a trap and decided I want to set it off instead of trying to cleanly disarm it, finding a stick should honestly be pretty trivial.

They're in a camp in a forest. If I found a trap and decided I want to set it off instead of trying to cleanly disarm it, finding a stick should honestly be pretty trivial.

I'm the same. There's no way in hell I'd disarm a trap with a pocketknife when I could just drop a rock or a stick or anything of the appropriate weight on it.

I see. But how would you know it's a trap? As far as you know, from the character's perspective, it's just a pile of dead leaves. And there's loads of dead leaves in a forest. To be true to the idea of this taking place in a forest, it is not unbelievable that leaves are blown out onto the roads​ or trails that run through it.

Keep it in mind that this is a bunch teenagers scared out of their wits being hunted. And the killer has home field advantage.

I see. But how would you know it's a trap? As far as you know, from the character's perspective, it's just a pile of dead leaves. And there's loads of dead leaves in a forest. To be true to the idea of this taking place in a forest, it is not unbelievable that leaves are blown out onto the roads​ or trails that run through it.

Keep it in mind that this is a bunch teenagers scared out of their wits being hunted. And the killer has home field advantage.

That's fair but it would be the same situation if you had a pocketknife.

I do like the idea of giving weapons more than one use.

The only reason this is getting just as much criticism as the traps themselves is because of the potential chance of losing their get out of jail free weapon against Jason. But since its been known that they've made adjustments to other weapons that can now stun Jason. I really don't see the huge complaint for it to be justified.

Its supposed to be a struggle for the counselors, not the killer.

The best 'fix' in all honesty, is give the Jasons 1 trap each. You know he only has one trap, you decide to step in it or repair it. Really simple. Really balanced. That, or the counselors don't lose their pocket knife and instead only repeat the disable process over and over, alerting Jason. Really simple here.

Just watch...if the long range arrows/knives Jason has do any sort of substantial damage to the counselors, to the point where they start limping. There will be a huge outcry and they'll get nerfed. We don't yet know what kind of damage they do, even if they prove difficult to use for the Jason players. Worst still, if the knives/arrows have a huge hitbox, they'll get nerfed no doubt.

I understand people want a balanced game. The difference is it should be balanced/slanted in favor of Jason. Not balanced/slanted in favor of the counselors. There is a fine line between the devs listening to feedback from its fandom...and caving into their every damand.

That's fair but it would be the same situation if you had a pocketknife.

Remember I said, "home field advantage". If he's clever enough to lay a trap it will obviously be in a place clear of things that would allow you to disarm it easily without wasting time. Time which he use to catch up to you.

As a player I would sacrifice that knife in a heartbeat if it meant reaching a key objective. It's only other purpose is a one-time free escape from Jason. And technically speaking, it's still serving its purpose:

A: Free escape from Jason.

Or

B: Free escape from trap.

Either way it is allowing you a brief moment of relief from the danger Jason poses.

I would love to see the trap from part 2.

Rope snare...

How awesome would that be and it would be an excellent "jump scare" moment. Especially if integrated with Manfredini's classic shrieking sound...

It would make a good context kill as well should Jason make it to the trapped counselor before they escape.

Since the pocket knife can be used to disable traps, why not let the pocket knife reduce the time they are stuck in a trap as well.

Perhaps they cannot escape from the rope snare without a pocket knife.... or maybe they can instantly be released from it (rope snare) if they have a pocket knife.

Maybe other counsellors (with or without) a pocket knife can assist a trapped counselor to decrease the time trapped. With the rope snare (we gotta have this at some point), perhaps a counselor with a pocket knife to assist would be necessary.

So many options are available...

This game is going to be fantastic. I am more in anticipation of this game than any other title ever produced.

• Like 2

Perhaps they cannot escape from the rope snare without a pocket knife.... 

It's been brought up in conversation before, but how much fun would you have to sit for minutes at a time waiting for Jason or another counselor to come find you? 

If a snare is used, I'd bet my left foot that it wouldn't be something you're just stuck in. 

It's been brought up in conversation before, but how much fun would you have to sit for minutes at a time waiting for Jason or another counselor to come find you?

If a snare is used, I'd bet my left foot that it wouldn't be something you're just stuck in.

I agree,

That's why I use the word "perhaps" when referencing this and the other "options".

Notice I said maybe you can be instantly released if you have a pocket knife?

Other options would include perhaps a longer "release" time without a pocket knife.... in other words it takes longer to untie the snare than to cut free.

Another option would be different "release" times for different counsellors based on their abilities. The jock frees himself in the least time, the fat guy and bookish girl takes the longest...

But a counselor with a knife can still free you instantly or at least sooner....

Maybe a counselor with a machete can free you instantly...

It's funny how in that whole post, you singled out the one sentence that you could criticize and decided to roll with that..

Perhaps, maybe, = options

It was the one thing I wanted to comment on, Rcsinger. I mean I could have been critical about the whole post, but I didn't want to.

As far as some of these other possibilities you mention, some sound decent. I'm all for a snare that does zero damage and only slows you down for a period of time. Perhaps a minigame to escape, so that the length of time you're held varies and your skill as a player and character stats matter. It's also interactive and lends agency to escape, rather then passively waiting on somebody to help. 

It was the one thing I wanted to comment on, Rcsinger. I mean I could have been critical about the whole post, but I didn't want to.

As far as some of these other possibilities you mention, some sound decent. I'm all for a snare that does zero damage and only slows you down for a period of time. Perhaps a minigame to escape, so that the length of time you're held varies and your skill as a player and character stats matter. It's also interactive and lends agency to escape, rather then passively waiting on somebody to help.

I agree.

I don't think we will see much of this in the game other than a tweak here and there within the current system. But I'd love to see some of this in a future update, dlc purchase, or follow up title.

They are too busy with cert and release to worry with adding a ton of extra content that will only delay launch.

I do however want the experience to be as dynamic as logic, space, and runtime will allow.

If Jason traps are going to be in the game, I'd like for it to be a robust feature with context kills and interactivity to favor Jason in some instances and counselors in other instances depending on triggered circumstances.

How that in and of itself is implemented is open for debate.

I appreciate everything the devs are doing and I believe this will be a fantastic game in the end because these guys are fans. They aren't just "putting out another title". They are trying to create a masterpiece.....

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 0:23 PM, Impactedmedal38 said:
On 4/5/2017 at 0:21 PM, SHODANFreeman said:

It's weird when developers read our opinions and like, care about them.

I know I love how transparent they have been. Most AAA devs would have just copied and pasted a repetitive message and shove are face with overpriced dlc. Nice to see a break from that cycle.

Not a AAA developer and the game is still in beta and it's mid August. 

• Like 1