wes

Jason Traps Quick Q&A

This is going to be great fun, no doubt some tweeks will be needed. Maybe the campers can use their weapons to disable them, breaking them in the process. 

If Jason can plant them near doors, it'll be a great way to herd them out as Jason and into the traps. It will also stop players from just running around in the woods, I don't think I will be using these very much unless I come up with an elaborate plan in a game, it depends on how long it takes Jason to set them.

On a final note, this is also good because some Jasons might decide to place the traps down before going after any specific campers.

You won't have time to complete a mini game, as soon as Jason is alerted he's going to morph straight to you for some easy XP.

Yeah but that could always change too.

Maybe Jason only gets notified if the councilors messes up or steps on it.

Either way I'm open to leaving it as is, and see how it works as the developers intended.

The councilors now have more tools at there disposal since firecrackers and flare guns have been re worked.

i know it's only been a couple of months since the beta but I've completely forgotten if you could jump lol. I want to say no but can't remember. Was just thinking trap wise if Jason was chasing you towards one of his traps you could jump over and get him caught up in it.

• Like 1

The councilors now have more tools at there disposal since firecrackers and flare guns have been re worked.

That's actually something else I kinda don't understand. Firecrackers stunning Jason,like he wouldn't pick them up and stuff them down your throat. But that's a different thread,I suppose. Love the idea of the re-worked flare gun though.

i know it's only been a couple of months since the beta but I've completely forgotten if you could jump lol. I want to say no but can't remember. Was just thinking trap wise if Jason was chasing you towards one of his traps you could jump over and get him caught up in it.

Actually I'm surprised a jump ability was not included at all. I mean, why not? At this point they'd need to make sure people couldn't jump into inaccessible places but we can hope for DLC right?

• Like 1

Personally, i think the TRAPS are *very well hidden* by Jason, with the leaves. If a counselor is able to spot this... they deserve to be able to get down there and disarm it. Having counselors being able to disarm the traps, would create a perfect balance. Because it would prevent Jason's player from setting them in OBVIOUS (trolly) places.

Having a counselor now able to deactivate a trap, will push Jason's to set the traps in more DISCRETE places, more *CREATIVE* places, rather than in front of a car, or by the phone box where they (the counselors) will MOST DEFINITELY see them, and deactivate the traps.

Also, in scenarios where counselors may be trapped in a cabin, and Jason has left the place surrounded by traps and he leaves to come back for them later. A potential counselor could come by, and deactivate the traps and set them free to leave. Rather than be stuck. You don't ever want to leave the players stuck.

Keep in mind, Laphin, that Jason is going to be trolled anyway given that we going to have people trying to kill him rather than escape as originally devised. In that respect I see this as a fair installment. If people are going to try to kill him, why not give him more ways to kill people? It's not like he's going to be able to morph to every single spot if they are all set up at once. He takes a bit of time to get the kill done. And let's be realistic; even if he sets all the traps in one little area and they all get set off by a group of 3-4 ( or more) counselors he is not going to get every person. 2 maybe, 3 if he's lucky, but not all.

Also, remember everyone can hold a weapon and swing on Jason. Saw that happen during a beta match or two. Jason could not get a kill on a group of counselors because they kept breaking his hold by swinging at him. I think I saw it happen on one of yours actually, not sure. If counselors stay together(You know, rule#1 don't go out alone?) these traps can be countered if they are tripped.

And screw the car door. I would sooner drop a trap by the gas tank so they are forced to drop the gas and have to spend the extra second to pick it back up again in case I don't make it there before they break free.

My only concern with traps NOT being able to be disarmed by the counselors... is if, Jason spawn-camps the objectives with traps.  Although I don't think he really has enough to hit EVERY objective properly.

We'd have to consider it. (Theory Scenario)  5 traps.   Morph. One on the car hood and front-door at least.  Morph.  One on the phonebox.  Morph. One on the boat...  And now I have one extra to do with as I will.

While it won't affect the entire team, it guarantees that SOMEONE will have to take a dive, and step in a trap, to at least deactivate it, so the others can do their work.  

(This could be a fun thing for some), but it would push counselors to get first-aid sprays, to go out and prepare for that scenario, so someone could get sprayed RIGHT after they step in it.  But some players, may not like that for the fact that it forces a player to get injured in order to progress.

If I missed something inbetween this scenario, in order to fix the situation.  Let me know.  I am absent minded sometimes.

(Correction: Boats are near docks, he wouldn't be able to set there.  So there would have to be TWO cars, and Phonebox) for him to troll the objectives, which also leaves him open to set even MORE traps around the car, if there's only one car on the map).

That is my only concern with traps as well... I kinda like the idea of not being able to disarm them but that scenario would probably happen day 1 of release and get abused. So maybe being able to disarm them would be best but to balance it out Jason gets the alert for you disarming it as well so hes still gonna chase you afterwards.

This sounded good to me till people pointed out Jason has no reason to place them anywhere but in front of objectives every time. This will become a routine for Jason players.

You guys really should give counselors the ability to disarm these traps. I mean whats the point of Jason hiding them in leaves if he will almost always place them in front of a car door. And the problem with stepping on it being the only way to get rid of it is that NO ONE will want to do it. So if I see that pile of leaves I have to just hope some newbie dons't know what that means and set it off for me?

I'm sorry but when this becomes the meta its going to get old really fast.

And screw the car door. I would sooner drop a trap by the gas tank so they are forced to drop the gas and have to spend the extra second to pick it back up again in case I don't make it there before they break free.

But you won't know where the gas is right away. Jason will however know where the cars and phones boxes are

While i totally understand the thought process behind making decisions to screw yourself or a teammate, I think the biggest issue is that with a minimum of 3 traps on any given Jason for example, it will easily become the meta to trap the phone box and both driver seats of each car. That effectively screws over pretty much most of the escape options because then each match will devolve into either everyone waiting for someone else to be the bait and trigger the trap and then leaving in the car without them (lots of saltiness ensues), or everyone waiting for someone else to trigger it and thus no one triggers it because no one wants to be screwed (the most likely scenario).

So now every match pretty much becomes Jason trapping all the escape exit points and no one willing to take one for the team because they know it's a death sentence. This stunts more than half the game.

It's kinda like Resident Evil 5 Versus and Proximity Mines. There were plenty of places you could use them and they'd be very viable. But the meta became to simply go to a spawn point and plant 2 of them on the spawn point since they took 50% health. So 2 would instant kill you if you spawned there and gave the enemy team a free double kill if they just killed you and then you spawned on the mines and died again instantly.

It became the meta because it was so overpowered and easy to do that there was zero reason NOT to do it. 

And that's the problem I see with Jason's traps especially if you can't disarm them, is there is literaly zero reason not to trap both car driver seats and the phone box because it will either completely eliminate all means of escape since no one will want to be the triggerer, or at the very least will heavily stall escapes in every match because no one is gonna rush to trigger them and anyone who does will get noticed by Jason, now be injured and easy prey, and everyone else will happily ditch them now that escape is open.

Most people in general don't play with the mindset of variety and 'fun'. They play with a 'play to win' mindset and thus why meta's are born. So they will definitely go with the easiest and most efficient way to road block or heavily stall their prey by trapping the escape routes every match. And that will just result in lots of salty arguments.

I'm all for giving it a chance at launch and seeing how it goes. But I'm very wary of how it's gonna go because I've played so many online multiplayer games for so many years and know how other players are and the mindset the general mainstream gamer adheres to. And it's just gonna make every match really frustrating because it will always be the same thing. 

It won't be a decision you have to make on the spot that adds to immersion and fun like you guys are suggesting but rather a decision that will need to be made every single match and have everyone arguing over who is gonna trigger the trap this match etc.

Just my two cents. Take it for what you will. No harsh sentiments meant by any means.

• Like 2

Actually I'm surprised a jump ability was not included at all. I mean, why not? At this point they'd need to make sure people couldn't jump into inaccessible places but we can hope for DLC right?

I'm not sure about having a jump ability. Sure it could help to avoid traps and such, but I don't want to see counselors starting to jump like crazy every time Jason want to hit/grab them. It would look a bit ridiculous imo.

• Like 4

Everybody is talking about all the places you could set traps, but no one seems to be talking about the time it would take to do so.

Imagine, Jason Player morphs to the car to set a trap. If Jason morphs and there's a counselor, he may just chase the counselor first.

Secondly, if Jason Player chooses, say, Jason 2 because he has the most traps, you may be forgetting that Jason 2 may have a slow cool down for morph. 

If I happen to come across a key spot, yeah, I'll set a trap, but I won't waste time waiting for cool downs.

• Like 1

We discussed allowing counselors to disarm the traps. And we're still open to it, but here's some food for thought:

Imagine you have the battery, you approach the car, and you clearly see that Jason placed a trap precisely where you have to stand to put said battery on the car. Major suckage. So what do you do? Well, you have two options. You take one for the team, step on the trap, get hurt and hope that Jason was too preoccupied with something else, to come kill you where you stand. The other option you have is to simply drop the battery near the car, and let someone else step on the trap. Dirty deeds, right?

Those are uncomfortable, hard decisions to make. Hurt myself or screw a teammate? You should have to stop and weigh the consequences and not just mindlessly click buttons. It is a horror game, remember? We think a small part of that is dreading a tough decision. There aren't many games that allow that type of agency. Perhaps that's for a good reason, and we're all dum dums. If we are, and this feature sucks, we'll make adjustments. All I ask is you go into with a little more of an open mind. Put on your horror glasses, and look at this through the lenses we use every day.

-W

I don't think the desicion makes it more horrifying just more annoying imho.

You can guarantee this will be a regular thing. It stops being fun and exciting after you expect the trap to be there for the eleventh time.

Make Traps not able to be placed within a certain radius of an escape objective. Not being able to disarm is fine, as long as they aren't near points of interest.

Expectations and meta does not a good horror game make.  That's my opinion.

Everybody is talking about all the places you could set traps, but no one seems to be talking about the time it would take to do so.

Imagine, Jason Player morphs to the car to set a trap. If Jason morphs and there's a counselor, he may just chase the counselor first.

Secondly, if Jason Player chooses, say, Jason 2 because he has the most traps, you may be forgetting that Jason 2 may have a slow cool down for morph. 

If I happen to come across a key spot, yeah, I'll set a trap, but I won't waste time waiting for cool downs.

If I'm playing to win then even if it took a good minute to set that trap I would set the trap first. Because that can get me a free kill later and/or stop someone from escaping. Even if I choose to chase the guy I'll just go back to the car right after to make sure I'm blocking that door for insurance. 

• Like 1

Not sure what I think about this. 5 traps seems excessive. Don't want this to turn into a game of "watch out for da traps everywhere." Seems like a potential for abuse. Seems like it might detract from the normal game. Something about the idea of spawning with more than one trap seems silly to me. Guess I'll have to play to see.

Thus why I said I'm willing to see how it plays out at launch but I'm pretty much expecting it to become the meta to do it and I don't think that will really be a good thing.

I think having only one trap and it being reuseable would've been the way to go.

As it is I see it being exploited heavily.

• Like 7

I think having only one trap and it being reuseable would've been the way to go.

As it is I see it being exploited heavily.

I kinda like that idea better.

Spawn with a trap. You can pick it up and reuse it somewhere else. If someone steps on it, you can go there and pick it up again and reset it somewhere else.

Well at least Jason doesn't have the ability to make more traps. I guess that's a bright side.

I think this could be a good alternative as well.

It would be kinda cool if Jason had an ability that was like "create a trap" that would interact with certain objects in the game world. He could only set one trap at a time, but we could have some fancy pants traps. Ones that can kill you in a brutal way if you set them off. It would be a rare event, but pretty sweet. You could get creative with it.

This sounds great but as many have said I can see lots placing them at the car and phone

This sounds great but as many have said I can see lots placing them at the car and phone

That'll be a big problem.

I see where Wes is coming from but I don't think it's understood here that predictability (AKA Jason predictably putting a trap at a key point) doesn't make good horror.  In fact it doesn't panic anyone.  It just makes you feel cheated.

If this is to remain here is what I'd do:

Make traps disarmable by those with intelligence of 7 or higher.  It gives you a skill check and if you fail it, you get your arm caught in it.

Last part is optional.

That'll be a big problem.

I see where Wes is coming from but I don't think it's understood here that predictability (AKA Jason predictably putting a trap at a key point) doesn't make good horror.  In fact it doesn't panic anyone.  It just makes you feel cheated.

If this is to remain here is what I'd do:

Make traps disarmable by those with intelligence of 7 or higher.  It gives you a skill check and if you fail it, you get your arm caught in it.

Last part is optional.

Yeah not very strategic if everyones gonna put them at the escape exits. And as a counselor u only have a couple options when spotting the trap.

1. risk yourself and step in it.

2. try find another way out.

3. get a friend to risk themselves so u can escape.

Concerning our issues with the traps, I'd love for a comparison between the way the developers play-test the game and the way beta players did.

Meta gaming is incredibly important to consider when designing a multiplayer focused game.

A lot of care and attention went into the hiding mechanic.  A lot of places to hide, special kill animations if Jason finds you and holding your breath to help avoid detection.  Yet, almost nobody hid (more than once) because of how easy it was for Jason to find them and get a free kill.  The mechanic is almost useless.

Then there's the combination of players opening every window in a cabin for an easy escape versus the Jason player smashing every window to injure players using this avenue.  It also had the unfortunate side effect of ruining the window kill as Jason would frequently be throwing people through open windows.

The devs already had to change the way Vanessa and the other counselors worked regarding stamina recovery due to everyone picking Vanessa due to her sheer survivability.

I realize this sounds so counter-intuitive considering how good this game looks compared to other licensed game shovelware that gets put out on the market, but maybe you're thinking too much like a horror movie.

• Like 4