wes

Total File Size of Game

I could say so many things with this... But I won't.

We've got Wes, twitter account and JPops all claiming 3.2, 

I believe them. 3.2 GB is the size, and if you think about it... it's probably right. It's just 3 maps, characters, weapons etc... very very little video and very very little extra stuff.

There's nothing wrong with 3.2gb

Wes also put the fate of his mustache on the line, the guy his serious about it. Or he was already planning to shave it and he's laughing right now!

• Like 1

Praise Illfonic for that.

Oh I do. They are obviously a talented team.

3.2GB isn't small if you compare it to like products instead of the average game size. It's a multiplayer game with only 20 character models and like 3-4 maps. It's basically the equivalent of a FPS DLC map pack. Those aren't usually more than 5GB, so it makes sense that neither is this.

I'm cool with it being 3.2gb.

I don't really care. It's going to be kickass, so it's fine with me. I was definitely surprised. After reading Wes' explaination, it does make sense. Not a big deal at all.

I'm going digital I think with this game.

Wasn't beta 8gb? How is the full game smaller?

Interesting... Can you confirm this? Maybe the decimal was in the wrong place and it was .8gb?

I knew the minute I published this post that everyone would think this was an April Fools thing. I guess I should have waited until tomorrow to post it. I just noticed that there was some incorrect information out there and I didn't want it to continue circulating. Especially with the recent news of physical disk customers getting a digital code to hold them over. I know that some have slower internet connections, which could have been the reason they bought physical disk to begin with...so getting the correct filesize out seem somewhat relevant, perhaps not crucial. 

But it's not a joke. I swear on Pamelas Grave (which I don't do lightly) this is not a silly AFD prank. It's 100% truth. 

I know what you're thinking. "This can't be...games like COD or BF are 30+GB." - You're right, they are. But they also have tons of maps, characters, weapons, SFX, videos, and entire singleplayer campaigns. F13 is small by comparison. Three maps, 10 counselors, TJ, and seven Jason's. We have very little videos as we do most of that stuff as real time renders. There's no NPC's or AI..no missions to "turn in" or deep loot trees. Our assets are fairly basic. We don't have levels that have tons of visual variety. Crystal Lake is, well, Crystal Lake. We don't have deserts, rain forests, snow maps, mountains, etc like COD or BF has. 

If you're just talking raw assets, sure we surpass 30gb, but we have to create a "packaged" build, which is what you, the end-user, receives/downloads. The builds WE test on here internally are big because we don't test on packaged (not usually) builds. Testing on a raw build allows us to quickly identify problems and then fix them on the fly. Plus waiting on a build to "cook" (package itself) takes almost a half day; which again eats into iteration time. 

But I will get you guys some more stats to munch on that will help explain all of this. Again, not the best day to report this..but it's the honest truth. 

-W

Whatever you do, just don't make a mistake and swear on mine, OK?

grave.png

Thanks, Wes. I don't ask for too much.

Interesting... Can you confirm this? Maybe the decimal was in the wrong place and it was .8gb?

Pretty sure it's on my laptop taking up 8gb can't seem to uninstall it

APRIL FOOLS!

I'm not buying it. 3 gigs is way too small. Even MP only shooters are generally bigger than that.

Edit: Now I'm not sure. They seem rather commited if it is a joke.

DbD is roughly 5 gigs (If i remember correctly), so 3.2 is totally reasonable. Also, only 3 gigs? I can just start the download when i go to sleep and it'll be done when i wake up! Awesome!

DbD is roughly 5 gigs (If i remember correctly), so 3.2 is totally reasonable. Also, only 3 gigs? I can just start the download when i go to sleep and it'll be done when i wake up! Awesome!

Yeah. They've been insistent that this is the case, so I believe it. I'm also happy about it because that means it will download much faster than I originally was anticipating.

If I'm lying I will shave my mustache off and live stream it on twitch.

-W

Not good enough. Only shave off half, and keep it that way until launch.

But seriously, I do believe you.

• Like 3

This makes sense. I would assume the virtual cabin would be a good gauge since it likely uses many of the same assets the game does. That download was 1.9gb on Steam. 

its so small

That's what she said. 

Seriously tho, This just makes me reflect on how far we've come. My first computer with on-board memory was a Commodore 128D. It had 128kb. A floppy (the 5 1/4" discs that actually were floppy) could hold 144kb. I had discs that had 10-12 games on it with room to spare, lol. I also remember seeing an external HD with 100mb worth of room for the Commodore 64/128's advertised for $600.00 plus shipping. And my main thought as a kid was "what the hell would you do with all that room???", LOL.

And reading over what I just typed made me feel old...I've officially gotten to the "back in my day" phase, hehe. 

• Like 1

This makes sense. I would assume the virtual cabin would be a good gauge since it likely uses many of the same assets the game does. That download was 1.9gb on Steam.

That's what she said.

Seriously tho, This just makes me reflect on how far we've come. My first computer with on-board memory was a Commodore 128D. It had 128kb. A floppy (the 5 1/4" discs that actually were floppy) could hold 144kb. I had discs that had 10-12 games on it with room to spare, lol. I also remember seeing an external HD with 100mb worth of room for the Commodore 64/128's advertised for $600.00 plus shipping. And my main thought as a kid was "what the hell would you do with all that room???", LOL.

And reading over what I just typed made me feel old...I've officially gotten to the "back in my day" phase, hehe.

I remember those days. Lol

The beta is taking up 8.18gb total in my Steam folder.

That may be. I'm no expert, but my gut tells me beta may be larger than the finished product due to further optimization and other changes. Given the description Wes gave regarding internal playtesting vs the game being cooked into compressed packages for consumers, it seems possible that they purposely wouldn't bake code they felt may have to be tweaked or modified during the beta testing period. Yet another way beta could be larger than the finished, polished, and fully baked end product.

I don't see the point on lying about file size lol if they said the game is released today or it's gone Gold

That's when I wouldn't believe them lol

One thing guys. 3.2 Gb is the total  of the game or are the Gb what steam download ?. Is not the same.

In Steam many games are downloaded compressed to save bandwidth and are decompressing mendras are downloaded. So you can see many games that occupy 20 gigs but for example download 6 or 7 gigs.

• Like 1

One thing guys. 3.2 Gb is the total  of the game or are the Gb what steam download ?. Is not the same.

Judging from the title of the thread and the post made by Wes, It must be the total size of the game.

dose anyone know how we are going to get the code when the game comes out? cos i pre-ordered it on backer kit and the only thing i gave it was my email, so dose that mean i will get the xbox code sent to my email?

please someone help me.

dose anyone know how we are going to get the code when the game comes out? cos i pre-ordered it on backer kit and the only thing i gave it was my email, so dose that mean i will get the xbox code sent to my email?

please someone help me.

Yes codes will be sent to the email address associated with your account
  • Like 1