wes

Total File Size of Game

There have been some posts giving estimates on filesize of the game. We goofed on some recent estimates. Basically, there was a decimal that we overlooked, thus giving a very, very wrong estimate. 

At launch the game, on all platforms (Steam, XB1 and PS4) will be roughly 3.2 GB total. Yeah, that pesky decimal got us...which is why we recently reported that it would be roughly 30 GB. Ooops. (we need sleep.)

When we patch in singleplayer, expect another 2.0-2.5GB or so added to that. 

Sorry for the confusion. We're going to sleep now. ;)

-W

• Like 9

wow that is a very small file for anything ive played on ps4. one plus is we dont have to wait a long time for it to download.

Most file size is comprised of images, videos, and sounds. It is low because it is not a graphically intensive game with a gigantic world.

• Like 1

Do you realize that by posting this on April 1st this could be construed as some sick attempt at an April Fool's Joke.

• Like 2

I'm genuinely surprised it's that low, less than 6 gigs for the lot.

Not that that's a bad thing at all.

Some impressive optimisation going on there!

What?

It's either optimized to shit by sacrificing your first borns or the game is ....actually i won't speculate on it. What filesize indicates is sooo not something i'm qualified to do.

I don't know guys, for me the fact that Wes posted that precisely today when he could have done it tomorrow(or even on monday) is a good indication that this is an april fool joke. When you think about it this is not some kind of critical info that needed to come out as soon as possible.

Yeah it seems small. We have WES stating this on April Fools Day, then we have the official twitter stating that he isn't messing with us.

So either they are both messing with us on April Fools day... or it is indeed 3.2GB, which doesn't make too much sense to me?

Seems small. NHL 17 is that much and it is 20 GB for comparison.

lol 3.2 gb its so small

You guys are nutjobs if you believe that's the filesize. I'm supposed to believe a game with 3 maps,and immersive experience like Friday the 13th, is as big a file size as old time hockey arcade on ps4 ? 3.20 gb? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That 3.20 gb, was also approximately the file size, for a 1 hour game expansion for mafia 3. Shame on you guys for falling for that, this will be at the very least 25-30 gb, before they even add single player.You fools,lol !!

It does seem pretty small, but I guess we'll just see how the file size is used.

I knew the minute I published this post that everyone would think this was an April Fools thing. I guess I should have waited until tomorrow to post it. I just noticed that there was some incorrect information out there and I didn't want it to continue circulating. Especially with the recent news of physical disk customers getting a digital code to hold them over. I know that some have slower internet connections, which could have been the reason they bought physical disk to begin with...so getting the correct filesize out seem somewhat relevant, perhaps not crucial. 

But it's not a joke. I swear on Pamelas Grave (which I don't do lightly) this is not a silly AFD prank. It's 100% truth. 

I know what you're thinking. "This can't be...games like COD or BF are 30+GB." - You're right, they are. But they also have tons of maps, characters, weapons, SFX, videos, and entire singleplayer campaigns. F13 is small by comparison. Three maps, 10 counselors, TJ, and seven Jason's. We have very little videos as we do most of that stuff as real time renders. There's no NPC's or AI..no missions to "turn in" or deep loot trees. Our assets are fairly basic. We don't have levels that have tons of visual variety. Crystal Lake is, well, Crystal Lake. We don't have deserts, rain forests, snow maps, mountains, etc like COD or BF has. 

If you're just talking raw assets, sure we surpass 30gb, but we have to create a "packaged" build, which is what you, the end-user, receives/downloads. The builds WE test on here internally are big because we don't test on packaged (not usually) builds. Testing on a raw build allows us to quickly identify problems and then fix them on the fly. Plus waiting on a build to "cook" (package itself) takes almost a half day; which again eats into iteration time. 

But I will get you guys some more stats to munch on that will help explain all of this. Again, not the best day to report this..but it's the honest truth. 

-W

• Like 13

Please Wes, stop this joke. Ive e mailed the official friday the 13th the game page multiple times. They said "targeting 25-30 GB. 3.20 GB is not possible for a game of this magnitude,im really supposed to believe this game is as big a file size as the small old time hockey arcade game? BAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

I knew the minute I published this post that everyone would think this was an April Fools thing. I guess I should have waited until tomorrow to post it. I just noticed that there was some incorrect information out there and I didn't want it to continue circulating. Especially with the recent news of physical disk customers getting a digital code to hold them over. I know that some have slower internet connections, which could have been the reason they bought physical disk to begin with...so getting the correct filesize out seem somewhat relevant, perhaps not crucial. 

But it's not a joke. I swear on Pamelas Grave (which I don't do lightly) this is not a silly AFD prank. It's 100% truth. 

I know what you're thinking. "This can't be...games like COD or BF are 30+GB." - You're right, they are. But they also have tons of maps, characters, weapons, SFX, videos, and entire singleplayer campaigns. F13 is small by comparison. Three maps, 10 counselors, TJ, and seven Jason's. We have very little videos as we do most of that stuff as real time renders. There's no NPC's or AI..no missions to "turn in" or deep loot trees. Our assets are fairly basic. We don't have levels that have tons of visual variety. Crystal Lake is, well, Crystal Lake. We don't have deserts, rain forests, snow maps, mountains, etc like COD or BF has. 

If you're just talking raw assets, sure we surpass 30gb, but we have to create a "packaged" build, which is what you, the end-user, receives/downloads. The builds WE test on here internally are big because we don't test on packaged (not usually) builds. Testing on a raw build allows us to quickly identify problems and then fix them on the fly. Plus waiting on a build to "cook" (package itself) takes almost a half day; which again eats into iteration time. 

But I will get you guys some more stats to munch on that will help explain all of this. Again, not the best day to report this..but it's the honest truth. 

-W

This makes sense Wes. Thank you. When you put it that way... it makes sense. You guys don't have any video except the opening short scene. I guess the file size gets racheted up with all the cinematic videos in other games.

I don't give a fuck if its 1 GB, a good game is a good game. This looks like it's going to be great.

I assume over time, we'll get more maps, weapons... kills and other things in enchance it?

• Like 1