Voorhees Lake Hockey

Hey everyone! Check out my brief story!

I have a pretty interesting story as most people do on here. I grew up watching Friday the 13th movies as most of us did. I'm in my early 30s, so I was able to catch Jason Voorhees as he was fading out a little bit. I have a lot of memories watching Jason, my parents and I don't get along to this day and we're just distant overall.

My family isn't close, but one thing I'm thankful for that my family did do for me was letting me watch horror films at a young age. Something I wouldn't let my children do I don't think. We'll see. No way my little girl will watch anything like that at least.

They explained to me that is was a "movie" and not real, and explained cameras recorded it, fake blood, props etc.. so even though I wasn't sure about what they meant, I imagined it being all staged, and so I started watching Friday the 13th amoung other horror films such as People Under the Stars, Child's Play, Dolly Dearest, Halloween etc... 

They never cared that I like to watch horror films. I truly believe that horror films have no bearing on people and making them crazy or wanting to kill. Horror films are a great fun way to delve into another world of scary and what ifs...

As far as Friday the 13th goes, I don't know when I watched it first, must of been around 1991-1993 or so. I was pretty young. The one I remember the most is at the time as I can remember it being "the one with the tree getting chopped and the bubble gum, and the guy little boy with the shaved head" etc.

We all know that as being Part V: A New Beginning. That was the one I watched the most for some reason and the one that sticks out the most to me. I watched them all, but this one I watched quite a bit for some reason. There was a scene that (it think it was this movie) always got me. It was a scene of Jason standing outside in the daylight in front of a fence. It's always been chilling to me. Then he's gone.

I'll be honest. My wife doesn't care for slasher films much, so its somewhat hard for me to watch them now. I've never seen Freddy/Jason either but will get around to it soon. I'm not a "hardcore" fan by any means, but I'm definitely a fan. I'm in between casual and hardcore.

I just got out of the horror genre mostly when I had kids. I haven't seen the Jason films in a few years either. I need to get back in touch. My wife views them as "bad movies" or "stupid". While they are kinda cheap looking at times and have a certain crazy feel to them, they to me are classics.

The Exorcist, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Evil Dead, Child's Play, Puppet Master, It and Friday the 13th to me... all have lasting, classic feels to them. These movies to me are what modern "horror" is. Oh and Sleepaway Camp too I guess.

As far as the game goes, I can remember back when it was Summer Camp like 3 years ago was it? Late 2014 I think? I can't remember exactly when. I was interested in it, but knew it was a bit off. Then I hear like 2 years ago about an acutal Friday the 13th game, and I've been following it ever since. I will probably be buying the digital version once a release date is announced. I failed to get in on the early bird stuff as I didn't have the extra money to tie up at the time. I have however bought the AWESOME new Savini Jason skin for the game.

I haven't been this excited for a video game since Max Payne 3 on 360. The idea of being Jason and being someone that people are going to fear is thrilling. I do think I'll be a counselor a bit more often. Probably 65/35 counselor to Jason.

I look forward to using teamwork to escape... and on the occasion just trying to to my own thing. Should be fun. I hope we all get along well and while I won't be "super" active here, I'll be around and check things out from time to time.

I personally have always though since the fall 2016 delay, that we'd get this game in the April/May time. I think We'll get it late April honestly.

This game should be incredible. Here's hoping. (will be getting it on PS4, laptop couldn't run beta)

• Like 2

It's great to hear from other fans about how much the series means to them. What you've written really resonated with me, as someone who considers himself a hardcore fan. I, too, started watching them when I was young (I want to say I was at least 10 when I saw Part 2 for the first time).

I know a lot of people strike out against parents who let their children view mature media, and I tend to disagree. My mother and father both explained to me that the movie wasn't real, in a way similar to the way to described. While I can't say that they would be for everyone, I do think that parents who shelter their children too much tend to set them up for failure once they reach adulthood. You can't just treat kids like they are kids forever; eventually, you need to see them as people who know less than you, and as their parent, you should always strive to teach them about the world.

As I grew older, I liked looking back on movies that I enjoyed when I was younger and examining them through philosophy, to understand why they resonated with me so much, and it's almost exactly as you said.

Fear is a great human emotion, and I think that we understand the concept of fear better than any other species because we're aware of our own mortality the most. It's almost like going back to nature, in a way. Our hearts don't beat nearly as hard and fast as they used to. Our minds don't constantly try to play tricks on us anymore.

Welcome to the forums, friend.  :)

• Like 2

Thanks for your story, If you'll let me write a little part of mine with my daughter , or i try it because english is hard to me i sorry if this is hard to understand, i try it the better i can do.

I see Friday 13 movies with my 4 years old daughter ^^ And she love horror movies and horror games. 

She look me play games like CLock Tower (psx version ), Dead By Daylight, Friday 13 Beta ( in friday 13 beta she play with me, she wih the gamepad and me play with the keyboard and mouse at the same time :D). 

This days we have see Halloween  1 and 2 and she love "the white mask murder" xD. All days my daughter ask me " Dad, when is release Friday 13 i want play "  hahaha i love it.

Well, are many movies that i dont play for she for now like Evil Dead for example, i  think is more strong for a little girl ^^. But she loves slasher movies, she loves when the movie scare her o the game. And she with only 4 years can recognize a movie and a game of a real life, she is very smart and funny.  Never have nightmares in the night when she is sleelping, i think she is more strong than me. 

WHen i are a kid and i see horror movies i love it but any times i have scare in the nights haha. I see horror movies all my life too and i love it.

My wife dont like horror movies and she dont like  our daughter see that, but hell... We onlye live one time and she onlye see movies with me and we very funny that moments.

I so sorry for my english, really sorry .

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Yeah man the slasher genre means a lot to me. And that isn't because I "grew up with it". That is part of it sure, but I just like the whole terror of this could happen to you/it probably won't... but could thing.

This game could be a long lasting intense and extremely high replay valued game.

I'm thinking March 31st they will announce a release date. It's a Friday, and 31 is 13 backwards. Watch me be right

• Like 2

"No way my little girl will watch anything like that, at least."

As opposed to your little boy(s)? Why protect the girl from psychological damage, but not the boy(s)?

If anything, dealing with the trauma of realistic slasher-film violence will prepare the girl for when she's assaulted in college. (What with 1-in-4 female university students being assaulted, being an -under-estimate-; it's closer to 28- to 30-percent.)

"No way my little girl will watch anything like that, at least."

As opposed to your little boy(s)? Why protect the girl from psychological damage, but not the boy(s)?

If anything, dealing with the trauma of realistic slasher-film violence will prepare the girl for when she's assaulted in college. (What with 1-in-4 female university students being assaulted, being an -under-estimate-; it's closer to 28- to 30-percent.)

I want you to know that you sound like a total fool.

My son is older, and my daughter is scared of stuff like that anyways. Boys tend to embrace and enjoy slasher films more than girls. Psychological damage? Is that what slasher films are? Take your liberal millennial agenda and go elsewhere.

Talking to people like you is like trying to get a brick wall to move by blowing on it. It just doesn't do anything. 

G8 B8 M8, I rate 8/8

Try again troll. Find .50 more cents and try again.

I want you to know that you sound like a total fool.

My son is older, and my daughter is scared of stuff like that anyways. Boys tend to embrace and enjoy slasher films more than girls. Psychological damage? Is that what slasher films are? Take your liberal millennial agenda and go elsewhere.

Talking to people like you is like trying to get a brick wall to move by blowing on it. It just doesn't do anything. 

G8 B8 M8, I rate 8/8

Try again troll. Find .50 more cents and try again.

"Take your liberal millennial agenda and go elsewhere."

Get to know me, and you'll find I'm a "compassionate conservative."

But I had to spell-it-out, instead of let you draw inferences, because you outright say:

"Talking to people like you is like trying to get a brick wall to move by blowing on it. It just doesn't do anything."

How did you reach -that- conclusion?

Right away, you presume we'll find -no- common ground; but your assumption is...just that.

"G8 B8 M8, I rate 8/8."

Reading that aloud, I heard, "Great bait, mate. I rate eight-[out-of-]eight."

"Try again troll. Find .50 more cents and try again."

Except, I was sharing a legitimate concern. That ain't "trolling."

[Edited once: To change "let your draw" to "let you draw."]

The issue is that your comments were completely from left-field, antagonistic and unnecessary. 

I am issuing a warning, SenatorJPO, for your continued posting demeanor. 

Tone it down, be casual, keep your comments on topic and on agenda without getting political or discussing your disdain for colleges. We get it. 

Thanks,

Ben

• Like 1

The issue is that your comments were completely from left-field, antagonistic and unnecessary. 

I am issuing a warning, SenatorJPO, for your continued posting demeanor. 

Tone it down, be casual, keep your comments on topic and on agenda without getting political or discussing your disdain for colleges. We get it. 

Thanks,

Ben

A few influential folks are reading more "antagonism" into my posts than I intend.

I'll probably be banned before "Darrin Howard," let alone before I can indulge in sociological analysis of the Friday the 13th films.

Oh, wait -- that would be "political" and "out-of-left-field," so I guess I've no reason to be here at all!

You sound like a tryhard elitist that thinks..

and I do mean "thinks", that he's some sort of wunderkind. And you are... a wunderkind to foolishness. I will no longer waste my time. You've nicely hijacked my introduction thread.

You sound like a tryhard elitist that thinks..

and I do mean "thinks", that he's some sort of wunderkind. And you are... a wunderkind to foolishness. I will no longer waste my time. You've nicely hijacked my introduction thread.

"Hockey" guy is "revenge trolling."

Two wrongs != Right

Except, I never insulted anyone.

And if your kids get messed-up by your stewardship, then that's on you, no matter how many times you say, "SenatorJPO is a troll."

Yeah, keep saying that! Because others will "report" you, and you'll get "warning points."

[Edited once: Accidental double-quote.]