wes

Jason's Fourth Ability 'Stalk' Revealed

Hey Campers!

With launch ever approaching, we thought it might make sense to talk more in-depth about Jason's Stalk ability. We've been quiet about this ability since word first got out about it. It wasn't because we were just being secretive...It was because we needed to test the crap out of it to get it just right. We didn't want to reveal too much, too early, and then make changes to it later. But now, we have it dialed in. We love it and think you will too. 

OK, so what is it? Stalk allows the Jason player to both mute the music counselors hear when Jason is near AND boost Jason's hearing so he can pick up on counselors footsteps, opening drawers, doors, windows, etc. So let's break this down. First up, muting Jason's music.

One thing I've personally wanted in the game was the ability to sneak up on a counselor as Jason. There are so many moments in the films when the soundtrack dies down, the target has no idea what's about to happen and BAM! Jason appears and kills. I wanted that, badly. However, the way we built the dynamic music system made this tricky. But we spent some time tuning it and made room for this feature. This ability can be used in different ways. First you could find some counselors in a barricaded cabin, break a few windows, get out of sight and then activate Stalk. Now the counselors think Jason has left the area. The coast is clear, right? We can totally climb out this window and everything is great, right? Wrong. Jason grabs and kills. Awesome!

Another way to use this ability is to plan ahead for a jump scare. Perhaps you select a building that you know will be a hot area for counselors. Perhaps a cabin next to the car. There's a good chance there's a car part in there, right? So you morph to that building, go inside, and activate Stalk. Now you just stand there and wait. A counselor enters the cabin, barricades the door and starts looking for stuff in drawers. Muhahaha...It's never a good idea to lock yourself in with Jason. It's hard to describe the glee felt when a counselor turns around from locking the door and you're standing there as Jason. Satisfying, to say the least.

You have a lot of questions I bet huh? Let me try to guess your questions now. But feel free to ask anything if I forgot something. 

Q: When does Stalk become available to Jason?

A: It's the last ability before RAGE. Roughly halfway through a match. 

Q: How long does Stalk remain once activated?

A: If you stand still (don't move at all) it lasts for 3 mins. If you move around with Stalk active, it reduces dramatically. Meaning if you hit Stalk and then start walking, it will "burn" that ability off in about 20 seconds. 

Q: What if a counselor sees Jason while he has Stalk active?

A: Stalk will instantly deactivate the moment a counselor sees Jason, thus triggering the Jason music again.

Q: When Jason activates Stalk, can he cancel it?

A: Yes. Just like Jason's other abilities he can cancel them at any time.

Q: You mentioned that Stalk increases Jason's hearing. Can he hear people everywhere on the map?

A: No. This is more or less an area about the size of a campground. Here's a quick mockup to give you an idea:

nEZ5OqL.jpg

Also there is a visual treatment we apply to the screen when Jason is in Stalk. The world becomes a little more blue in color. You will also immediately hear the audio differences. We drop almost all of the ambient SFX and allow Jason to only hear the sound queues that matter. Doors, windows, and drawers opening and closing. Counselors running, leaping out windows, etc. Get rid of the noise and give the player the tools to be a deadly hunter!

Here is exactly what Stalk looks like visually to Jason.

Normal Jason:

BVNyd6a.jpg

Stalk Activated Jason:

kFnhKvK.jpg

Overall we are very, very excited about this ability. It adds a lot of player agency for Jason. You can be the Jason you want to be. You can use Stalk occasionally to try to fool your prey...or you can plan ahead and be a more jump scare/creepy Jason. I personally love playing the latter. I've managed to creep into buildings undetected by counselors, activate Stalk and just wait. Now you can be more strategic as Jason; more stealthy. You might not get as many kills using this strategy, but the kills you do get..well...the victims will never forget it. When used the way I've explained, you'll hear more genuine screams from players. You'll hear more than just "OMG" through VOIP. I've heard screams that come from deep, in the gut...and witnessed real fight or flight reactions to this. I think you'll enjoy it. 

-W

• Like 37

Ummm, one more time Kyle; can't wait to try out this bad boy in game. Thanks Wes and devs for keeping us as counselors on the edge of our toes.

Amazing!!! I cant wait!!! Cause it gives you the opportunity to create what the movies did. JUMP SCARES. With the music constantly warning counselors when hes near, you didnt get jump scares that often. But now you can really get that sense of fear. You really don't know where he could be. Maybe you lock yourself in a cabin with him? maybe hes slowly stalking you. Maaaaaybe he's in the water...waiting.  You just don't know. GENIUS.

• Like 1

YESSSSSSS

This is exactly something I was hoping to be added in. I cannot wait for the chance to scare, AND be scared, by other players. I have to say it now: I am going to be one of those guys who will reward you with a yell summoned by the very depths of his gut!

Dammit Wes, I didn't think I could possibly get more excited for the game but now I am! I can't wait to try this feature!

How long is the cooldown for stalk? I'm assuming it will be the same across all the different versions of Jason.

Wow, that sounds really powerful (and shocking). Good job it does have that timer on it and will take a little while to build up.

Feels like that'll really change the dynamic of games, more than the other things so far, from the Beta experience. Paranoia will really be strong even past the point where the players should start feeling more empowered.

Most interesting!

That sounds great. Look forward to killing some folks sneakily now.

My only other question is have you added a ground kill in for folks that get ballsy and try to tea bag Jason if he's downed yet? You know it needs to happen.  :lol: Sheriff Mike Garris, Wes. That's all.

• Like 5

Dammit Wes, I didn't think I could possibly get more excited for the game but now I am! I can't wait to try this feature!

How long is the cooldown for stalk? I'm assuming it will be the same across all the different versions of Jason.

Jason's will have different cooldown times for Stalk, thus helping to make them feel unique. But we really love this feature and don't want to throttle use of it. The cooldown difference isn't drastic across the Jasons, but just enough to make them a little different from each other. 

• Like 5

Yes! This is exactly what Jason needed and I'm thrilled that it's exactly what I thought it was. I kind of wish he would hold his weapon with both hands when stalk is activated, but that already happens with combat so I guess just go into combat mode during stalk if I want that so damn bad. 

Also holy shit I just noticed the bear trap icon. Jason has gotten vicious as hell since the beta. 

this is really cool. Going to create a ton of scares. I wonder if cool down times will vary with each Jason?

Jason's will have different cooldown times for Stalk, thus helping to make them feel unique. But we really love this feature and don't want to throttle use of it. The cooldown difference isn't drastic across the Jasons, but just enough to make them a little different from each other.

Just saw. Awesome!

Would I be able to stack this with Shift?

And would using shift affect the burnout time?

Furthermore, would I be able to also use Sense to stack with the area in which my senses are heightened?

Would I be able to stack this with Shift?

And would using shift affect the burnout time?

Furthermore, would I be able to also use Sense to stack with the area in which my senses are heightened?

Yes and yes. In fact, hitting Stalk then Shift is a very potent combo. You burn stalk faster, but you can slip in behind a counselor as they are closing a door. I've done that a few times in playtests. Protip: If you are successful at this, remove your headphones as Jason....your ear drums will thank you later. ;)

• Like 9

This is awesome... really awesome. HYPE OVER 9000 because this "skill" or "perk" ( idont know how say in english now) is perfect for i want play stayle.

Thx for this !

Protip: If you are successful at this, remove your headphones as Jason....your ear drums will thank you later. ;)

Making grown men scream in terror. If that isn't a life goal.

man i love this idea, i was thinking a while back at how it would be cool to sneak up behind counselors without them being alerted, so sneaking up on a counselor that is hiding in a cabin seems like an awesome idea, makes it even scarier on the counselors end :)

Does Stalk end when a counselor sees Jason under a bed or inside another hiding space? I imagine that would be a dead giveaway. 

So canceling based on sight, is there limits based on distance, time, and/or lighting? I'd hate to have it canceled just because a counselor technically has line of sight to me for a brief moment even though there was no way for the player to actually notice me. 

Like if I'm waiting outside a cabin nearby in the woods, can a counselor cheese the game by stepping outside and doing a quick 360 spin to cancel any stalking that may be going on?

• Like 2