Sign in to follow this  
Oneiric

Phantasm

Any fans of the Phantasm franchise here? I feel like this is a prime example of a horror story that started off as a specific type of horror that has evolved into something more as the movies release. I'd even say that by the last movie (Oblivion), the franchise sorta became a dark fantasy story. Which, doesn't necessarily eliminate the franchise as horror, but it's definitely different.

Anyone have any thoughts about this series?

Phantasm is a sweet movie , though I only remember parts 1 and 2 , maybe I saw a 3rd , but it has been a while . the 4 barreled shotgun in # 2 ... Sweet ! ... Not to mention the awesome car that Hemi Cuda 440+6 We always use to do the Tallman's " Boyyyyyy! " at work . Phantasm is a great horror movie and fun franchise . 

cuda_preview_3_zpse20a271b.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of the Tallman's catchphrase, there's this young lady who comes into my store with her boyfriend and only refers to him as "Boy," which always makes me think of Phantasm. So one day, I told the couple this. Which just ended up making me feel old, because they had no clue what I was talking about. Really, only one guy in the store knew what I was talking about. lol

• Like 2

Speaking of the Tallman's catchphrase, there's this young lady who comes into my store with her boyfriend and only refers to him as "Boy," which always makes me think of Phantasm. So one day, I told the couple this. Which just ended up making me feel old, because they had no clue what I was talking about. Really, only one guy in the store knew what I was talking about. lol

Don't feel bad , they are just happily clueless . I know exactly what your taking about , like my daughter said this line when she was 9 , " Who is Elvis ? "  ... Then I knew I was a horrible parent . The good news is she can probably name 75% or better of the Gothem City Rogues Gallery . I am so proud .  B)

I've only seen the first two films, but I've very much enjoyed them both. Trying to get my hands on the rest.

Funny thing I find is that Phantasm is sort of like what would happen if the Doctor from Doctor Who was a horror movie villain. Think about it, Tallman is an alien creature disguised as a human, with super advanced technology that breaks the laws of physics, and he kidnaps people to work with him, though the Doctor's companions get it better off than Tallman's miniature corpse people. I find Whovians really like Phantasm, so if you know any and want to get them into horror, try showing them it.

• Like 1

Part 3 and 4 blowed to me, still, cant wait for Ravager, God i hope it doesn't play like a Sci-Fi movie... Angus Scrimm...wow he's like 1000 years old...

havent seen them in AGES but want to rewatch them before the new one is available. unfortunately they are not that easy to get here in germany.

Part 3 and 4 blowed to me, still, cant wait for Ravager, God i hope it doesn't play like a Sci-Fi movie... Angus Scrimm...wow he's like 1000 years old...

Admittedly, I wasn't too wowed with 3 or 4, the first time I saw them. It probably had to do with how much time had passed between part 2 AND the fact that the Tall Man pretty much destroyed everything. Then with Jody turning into a Sphere and Mike turning into a new Tall Man... it got weird. But the thing that made me reconsider them was the last scene in Oblivion, when Mike sent a message to himself in the past, using unused footage from the first movie. That was pretty cool.

havent seen them in AGES but want to rewatch them before the new one is available. unfortunately they are not that easy to get here in germany.

I remember reading that there were licensing rights issues with these movies over there. And potentially a censorship issue. This was maybe 10 years ago when I read this, so I could be way off the mark.

censorship.... the legal versions are all censored to shit and i dont wanna see that. 

Phantasm is a sweet movie , though I only remember parts 1 and 2 , maybe I saw a 3rd , but it has been a while . the 4 barreled shotgun in # 2 ... Sweet ! ... Not to mention the awesome car that Hemi Cuda 440+6 We always use to do the Tallman's " Boyyyyyy! " at work . Phantasm is a great horror movie and fun franchise . 

cuda_preview_3_zpse20a271b.jpg

Good lord that Cuda is drool worthy. :)

• Like 1

Can't believe I never posted in this before. This is by far my favorite Horror series and one that's near and dear to me. Ranking the series for me it'd go:

The original is a classic but 2 is simply the pinnacle for me. 3 and 4 are solid, but while I enjoyed parts of 5 sadly I got to agree with those saying it's the weakest.

Now...if not Halloween, Phantasm would be a superb game to make, there is plenty of characters, lore, weapons and a badazz vehicle to create a kickass world from! A true gem that alot of youngsters now wouldnt appreciate.

Phantasm holds a very special place in my heart, saw it in '79 at the theater, and always was worried the Tall man's dwarves were under my bed...just waiting to grab me.

The sequels were ok, but the original was the heavy duty hitter, and very memorable. "Ravager" jumped around too much, I thought, but the nostalgia of all the old cast back together made it worth a watch.

Let us not forget about the "Triple Black", the Hemi-Cuda featured in the film. One of the two "Dream Cars" I have ever wanted. The other is Mad Max's Interceptor, the black on black, 351 Cleveland V8, Ford Falcon

XB '72, with custom spoilers, front end, and Wieand super charger and pro drag race blower and pipes. 600 Horsepower of meaness set to music, the bitch was born to run!!!

My first car at 17 was a '73 Ford Mustang super coupe, 302 V8, 4 barrelled Holly Carbed beauty in metallic green with black trim. Best vehicle i've ever owned, even in the snow goin to school in the 80's! Road hugger tires and Kenwood stereo and speakers jammin' tunes like "Steal the Thunder" (Loverboy), "Say Hello to the night" (Lou Gramm Lost Boys soundtrack), "Ready or Not" (Lou Gramm), "Seek and Destroy" (Metallica), "Peace Sells" (Megadeath)... ahhh the good ole' days! Good news is I still have the car, and it has been refurbished, and stored in my parents garage...driven only during the summer, for things like 'Muscle car' shows. Pure Americana, that will one day re-emerge. ;)

post-649-0-92842500-1482020790_thumb.jpg

"Now these towns, they all know our name. Six gun sound, is our claim to fame" -

Bad Company

Me as a youngster (with my .45) with my pal Jimmy (with the double barrel 12), and my second home (the 73 Mustang), back around '86.

I enjoy them, particularly the first- just saw Ravager. I honestly have know idea what's going on in those movies but I'm a fan of Angus Scrimm's Tall Man. I need someone to explain them to me one day.

Ive heard it is very confusing, has a low budget feel (bad cgi,amateur camerawork). Does anyone else have a take on the last one? Parts 1 and 2 are the best to me.

If I remember right, it was filmed over several years and at points it really feels patched together. I think they attempt to explain everything, or conclude it, but it remains confusing. Actually, really confusing.

I'm a completist so if you are, you'll see it regardless, but otherwise I don't know if it's worth seeing. I did enjoy seeing Angus Scrimm as the Tall Man one last time but that was a nostalgia thing for me.

• Like 1

Ravager attempted to put the puzzle together, and explain the Tall Mans origins, but actually it just did the opposite. Also, it jumped around a great deal, becoming very confusing. Only a true die-hard Phantasm purists/researcher will pick up on the subtleties that greatly effect the story. Definitely not for the occassional viewer. Nostalgic piece, more than great story-telling put to film.

I loved the Phantasm movies, one of my top pick horror franchises. Mainly because It was such a mystery to me with so many unanswered questions. The Tall man was such a boss, I reckon he could even take on Jason haha

Ahh those were the days of great films

• Like 1

Okay so i just watched Ravager. Wow. What a shame. How the mighty have fallen. It morphed from a horror series to a bad science fiction flick on the syfy channel. It seriously played out like a fanfilm instead of a real entry. The direction was amateur. The cgi was laughably painfully horrendous. What I took fron it all?...the ENTIRE franchise was the mental delusions of a sick dying man (Reggie) being recounted to his friends (Mike and Jody) at his deathbed the whole time.

• Like 2

Love the series, The Tallman is a unique villain and Reggie makes for a great Bruce Campbell-esque hero (that four barrel shoot gun is the best). And I just freaking love the Phantasm theme so damn much.

Just went through them all recently to prepare for Ravager. There was some things in Ravager I liked but the bad cgi, bouncing between settings, and lack of a real conclusion left me disappointed and confused. Still I had a lot of fun with these films.