Riskman2982

Top 5 Best or Nostalgic Games

Hey,

I did a search and didn't find a topic like this so if there is one, I apologize.

I'm guessing that the majority of us around their late 20s or early 30s and grew up in the days of the Nintendo, SNES, and Genesis days and was wondering what all of you thought were the top 5 games, be it for nostalgia purposes or just "BEST GAMES EVA". I actually did a video explaining my top 5 nostalgic games a few month ago but rather than make anyone go watch, I'll outlay them here:

#5 Super Mario Bros.:
This is a good, solid classic that still holds up to today. I mean, they are STILL making Mario games. Now, there are Mario games I like more than the original but this one has a special place in my heart due to an event from my past. Ya see, back in the day when I was a Riskboy, my mom and I often played or watched each other play Nintendo games. We'd watch each other play Zelda or Mario and really get a kick out of it. One day, we went to one of her friend's houses and watched, dumbstruck, as her friend BEAT Mario. Dejected, we went home and tried to sleep. I remember waking up that night, the Mario tunes in my ears. I went down to the living room and, sure enough, my mom was furiously playing. Together, we spent the night playing until we finally rescued the princess.

#4 Sonic 3 and Knuckles:

This is, by far, the BEST Sonic game ever made in my opinion. It is, to my knowledge, the first game with addons. It is the first real Sonic game to try to tell a cohesive story (though 2 did has some story elements to it) and a "hard mode" where you play as Knuckles. Not only did this "hard mode" increase difficulty but it has a branching path. It was the perfect Sonic game and the main reason I had my Genesis plugged in regularly.

#3 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:
This was a hard one. As a man with a Hylian crest tattooed across his back, I HAD to put a Zelda game in the list somewhere but which one was the best? For me, I remember playing LTTP over and over, one day beating the whole game start to finish without stopping. It struck me because it was the first game where you save the princess at the onset of the game. It also had a cohesive story element to it, unlike its two predecessors. They had storylines, sure, but very seldom did it come up in game play. Link's Awakening is VERY VERY close to this game's ingenious design and gameplay mechanics.

#2 Chrono Trigger:

I would say there is a tie for 1st place but, as this is a list, I'ma hafta award one of them 2nd place. Chrono Trigger is a game that has a story and sprite graphics that stand the test of time. It was considered a "dream game" with Akira Toriyama as the main artist for the characters. For those that do not know who that is, he is the guy behind the Dragon Ball series of shows...except for GT. He had, if memory serves, nothing to do with that. It had a great time-traveling mechanic and various endings depending when and how you beat the final boss. Plus, it hosts my favorite video game character ever. Magus. Some might refer to him as a spoiled brat or "dark edgy Spawn-wannabe" but he actually has a pretty cool storyline. In fact, my favorite boss fight is when you take Magus to face Queen Zeal.

#1: Final Fantasy VI:
This game WAS my childhood. It had an awesome story and colorful cast of characters with various twists, turns, and a whole second overworld to explore about mid-way through the game. I believe I stated in another topic I dressed up as Kefka, one of the main characters, but my favorite character from the game is Locke, the "Treasure hunter". His story is a heart-wrenching one despite his rather upbeat nature. It also has my favorite scene from any game ever. The "Darkness and Starlight" opera house scene.

I hope this insanely large wall of text didn't scare you off. For anyone that would like to share a similar list, I'd love to see it!

If I had money on it, I'd bet that most of us skew into the late 30's or early 40's. 

Edit: While your list sounds ok, I don't have an interest in JRPG's and thus haven't played Chronotrigger or FF. Sonic was ok (the second being my favorite. Never played 3.) I'm not a Mario fan. End Edit.

With that my top 5 nostalgia games. 

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES) Best boxing game ever? Maybe not, but still my favorite. 

Mark of Kri (PS2)  A gem that not very many people seemed to play. Disney style animated characters with Conan level violence. 

Goldeneye (N64)  Still one of the best FPS games ever. 

Mario Kart 64 (N64) While the SNES version was great fun, this is the one that really got the competitiveness rolling with my buddies and I. 

Spider-Man (Genesis) Still the best Spidey game to date. It had all the classic villains (save for the Green Goblin) and worked better then some of the weird concepts of later games like planet of the Symbiotes or travelling through time. 

• Like 1

Hmmm.....I'm going to go with top 5 Nostalgic games,not best ever,just games that bring back some solid memories.

TMNT The Arcade Game (NES) - Turtle-Mania was in full swing.

Sonic 2 (GEN) - The reason I NEEDED a Sega Genesis. I woke up for school on my birthday and found the model 2 Genesis hooked up in my room with Sonic 2 and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I did not have to go to school.

Goldeneye (N64) - I'll never forget first playing this one on a Toys R' Us display unit. The controller was so weird at the time. It became the go-to party game. NO ODDJOB,NO GOLDEN GUNS.

Tomb Raider (PSX) - The first Tomb Raider absolutely blew my mind. It was the first game I played on Playstation and easily the most graphically intense game I had ever played up until that point. 

Resident Evil 2 (PSX) - Okay,so probably one of my favorite games of all time made the list. You had TWO separate campaigns to play (which actually felt different/weren't like Mortal Kombat color swaps) that completely improved on everything that was great about RE1. 

Honorable Mentions: Super Mario Bros (NES), Roadblasters (NES), Zombies Ate My Neighbors (GEN), NBA JAM (GEN),The AKI Wrestling Series (N64), Mario 64 (N64), RE3 (PSX)

• Like 2

For me, it would be (in no order):

1: super mario bros series

2: castlevania series

3: zelda link to the past

4: ghouls and ghosts OR wizards and warriors

5: metroid series

• Like 1

In no particular order.

1. Banjo tooie

2. Spyro the dragon

3. Crash bandicoot 2

4. Gran turismo 3

5. Sonic the hedgehog (not sure which I would count as best so I will just say the series for this)

• Like 1

In no order.

1. The Legend of Zelda-NES

2. Phantasy Star series-SEGA/genesis

3. Final Fantasy-NES

4. Alex Kidd in Miracle World-SEGA

5. F13th-NES

• Like 1

1. Timesplitters 2

Spent hours on that game.  Took me 10 years to unlock everything and beat every challenge.  I sucked that bad at the game.  Still haven't gotten platinum trophies on all the levels.

2. Starcraft

Original.  Loved it.  Story, soundtrack is bae, the races and how diverse they were... all of it.

I wished they kept that 90s aesthetic for the sequel, but I think they took a huge misstep.  The Zerg look like dinosaurs.

Tip: Adding more horns and spikes doesn't make things cooler.

3. Mario Kart Double Dash

Used to play that with my bro all the time.

I really have no more that I can think of at this very second.

• Like 1

TMNT The Arcade Game (NES) - Turtle-Mania was in full swing.

Now that you mention it, I'm tempted to swap something for Turtles in Time. 

• Like 1

Atari 2600 Combat, Asteroids...Lol!

Just kidding, that's a toughy. Sooo many good games have came and went, but the ones that stand out for me are:

1. XCom UFO DEFENSE

2. XCom Terror from the Deep

3. Original gold cart of Zelda

4. Golgo 13

5. Nes version of Rainbow Six (I forgot the name, but the game was a blast!)

Others:

Predator:Concrete Jungle

Legend of Bruce Lee C64

Champions of Norrath

Baldurs Gate

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

List goes on and on... :)

• Like 1

Atari 2600 Combat, Asteroids...Lol!

Just kidding, that's a toughy. Sooo many good games have came and went, but the ones that stand out for me are:

5. Nes version of Rainbow Six (I forgot the name, but the game was a blast!)

Rescue: The Embassy Mission?

• Like 1

Rescue: The Embassy Mission?

That's the one!!! Great Call! ;)

Man, that game was simple, but fun! :)

Another great game I almost forgotten was Micropose's Airborne Ranger. Now that game was a BLAST!!! Many hours on that, and Wasteland, C64 style.

• Like 2

1.- Zelda Twilight Princess

2.- Final Fantasy X

3.- Super Mario Kart Double Dash

4.- Conker: Bad Fur Day

5.- Metroid Prime

Extra: Resident Evil Remaster and Zelda Wind Waker

• Like 1

Ya, we're all dated by what we find nostalgic. In no particular order, these are the games I seek out when I'm feeling nostalgic:

1. Friday the 13th (NES) - One of the first games we owned for the Nintendo, only beat it with cheats.

2. WWF Royal Rumble (SNES) - It was the best of the early wrestling games.

3. NHLPA 93 (SNES) - Faked being sick so I could stay home and play it.

4. Maximum Carnage (SNES) - Just beat it (with codes) finally.

5. Double Dragon / Golden Axe (Arcade) - The two cabinets at the neighbourhood store growing up.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing all these memories! I saw a lot of great games listed and it was a pleasure to go back to the past through this little list. I would like each of these posts but, daily limit prevents me from doing so.

• Like 2

1. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSOne)
2.  Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
3.  Shadowrun (SNES version)
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5.  Diablo 2 (PC)

• Like 1

I'm gonna add another five. This time just the arcade cabinets.  No order.

1. TMNT. I first played this one on a school fieldtrip to a rollerskating rink. It never got old. 

2. X-Men. Six players and it was a blast. I always played as Wolverine or Colossus, so I wasn't as boned as people playing Cyclops and Nightcrawler who had to sacrifice health to do more then punch. Even though it was flawed ("welcome to die" yeah. ) it might be the best of the best. 

3. Mortal Kombat. My favorite fighting game of the genre. 

4. Double Dragon. Having to fight your partner at the end was quite the twist. Pretty fun. 

Edit: gonna go with Ninja Gaiden. It almost slipped my mind it's been so long since I played. Slashing up mooks in hockey masks, it evoked two cool things of the era, Jason and ninja. 

5. Marvel Superheroes. My other favorite fighting game of the genre. Everything is better with superheroes. 

• Like 2

I'm gonna add another five. This time just the arcade cabinets.  No order.

1. TMNT. I first played this one on a school fieldtrip to a rollerskating rink. It never got old. 

2. X-Men. Six players and it was a blast. I always played as Wolverine or Colossus, so I wasn't as boned as people playing Cyclops and Nightcrawler who had to sacrifice health to do more then punch. Even though it was flawed ("welcome to die" yeah. ) it might be the best of the best. 

3. Mortal Kombat. My favorite fighting game of the genre. 

4. Double Dragon. Having to fight your partner at the end was quite the twist. Pretty fun. 

Edit: gonna go with Ninja Gaiden. It almost slipped my mind it's been so long since I played. Slashing up mooks in hockey masks, it evoked two cool things of the era, Jason and ninja. 

5. Marvel Superheroes. My other favorite fighting game of the genre. Everything is better with superheroes. 

X-men was amazing!!  There will never been another experience like that.....ever again!!!

• Like 1

X-men was amazing!!  There will never been another experience like that.....ever again!!!

With the death of arcades, I'd agree. it was something else to gather a few friends on the occasional Saturday and with my pockets stuffed with tokens run through X-Men. 

• Like 1

Love the Topic. My list, in no particular order:

1. Dark Wizard - Sega CD

2. Wizards of Wor - C64

3. Dune - Sega Genesis

4. Metroid - NES

5. Crystal Castles - Arcade box at my grandmothers carry-out 

• Like 1

In no particular order:

-Super Metroid (snes)

-Killer Instinct (arcade)

-Super Mario Bros. 3 (nes)

-Castlevania Symphony of the Night (psx)

-Perfect Dark (n64)

• Like 1