Darrin Howard

FOG AND MISTS FLOWING OFF OF THE LAKE AND GRAVEYARD

IT Would be nice to see fog that hides jason. creepy mists the flow from graves in the graveyard.there was mists that rose on top of the lake in the movies with a huge full moon.

• Like 2

Agreed, I wish there was more mist. But this is kind of tame.

To make it more interesting, maybe the mist could imbue players or Jason with some sort of power while they are near it.

How bout this. Death mist. The more death there is, the more mist there is. And the more mist there is, the more players are imbued with the powers of death.

If there wasn't fog in the beta it would be hard to install it on game now, same with rain. It's just a visual effect.

I wonder if there will be mod support... Lucky PC gamers.

fog was discussed in the weather thread and i believe they said weather conditions isnt on the cards atm

I wouldn't be against this idea, in fact it's one of the most sensible posts you've made Darrin. But as stated above, the devs apparently haven't got dynamic weather planned anytime soon.

• Like 4

Yeah fog and mist in the game would be cool for sure. Would like to see it implemented at some point.

I still think they should implement some thunder claps and lighting flashes without rain. Would add to the atmosphere.

• Like 3

If there wasn't fog in the beta it would be hard to install it on game now, same with rain. It's just a visual effect.

I wonder if there will be mod support... Lucky PC gamers.

Not going to happen.

Modding single player PC games? Cakewalk.

Modding multiplayer PC games? Anti cheat will catch it and ban your ass.

PC players are stuck in the same boat as console players for multiplayer games.

Assuming this is possible, I actually think it would be cool if counselors in the fog have a small chance of seeing Pamela, she would just stand there and burst into fog if counselors get to close, but the music would play and the counselors fear would increase.

• Like 3

Not going to happen.

Modding single player PC games? Cakewalk.

Modding multiplayer PC games? Anti cheat will catch it and ban your ass.

PC players are stuck in the same boat as console players for multiplayer games.

Well, if they ever added a LAN-play mode, that would totally work with mods.  Unfortunately, LAN modes are kind of a thing of the past these days.

The devs said there will be no mod support for pc

Lots of games have "no mod support" and still have mods.  :P

Fog is cool, we had a lot of it in the earlier builds and it looked amazeballs. Hell, if this was a single player game it would have been fantastic to stick in there and keep in. 

However, this is a multiplayer game and resources are tight for memory and all that noise. Multiplayer calls for a very heavy resource load that has to work between all players. Fog is cool, but it's going to kill frame-rate like no tomorrow :/. Sorry guys. 

• Like 5

Agreed, I wish there was more mist. But this is kind of tame.

To make it more interesting, maybe the mist could imbue players or Jason with some sort of power while they are near it.

How bout this. Death mist. The more death there is, the more mist there is. And the more mist there is, the more players are imbued with the powers of death.

Hell to the no, no special powers from fog  get  real man sorry this is just unrealistic and  silly  sounds like something a teen would come up with

• Like 1

Fog is cool, we had a lot of it in the earlier builds and it looked amazeballs. Hell, if this was a single player game it would have been fantastic to stick in there and keep in.

However, this is a multiplayer game and resources are tight for memory and all that noise. Multiplayer calls for a very heavy resource load that has to work between all players. Fog is cool, but it's going to kill frame-rate like no tomorrow :/. Sorry guys.

I'm assuming rain/storms falls under this category as well? ☹️

Not as much. That's more about creating textures, models and landscapes that play into weather like that. 

We can't just say 'let it rain,' and expect the engine to make stuff wet. Doesn't work like that. We have to create wet clothes, wet buildings, wet ground, water particle effects that are believable. Basically we're making entirely new maps and content for the sake of weather being added to our game. Sure, other titles do have that functionality, but those major titles with dynamic weather are titles with major budgets with teams specifically built around the work of creating said effects (GTA, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, etc...). Those games share tech that's been worked on with budgets bigger than our game. 

If that gives you an idea? 

The normal method is to load up a 'wet' version of the map without it being dynamic. That's way less resource-intensive, but again, we're building things essentially from scratch and that's why it's expensive. 

• Like 2

Don't see how adding some thiunder claps and rumbles with a few flashes of lightning at least to hint at a storm (preferably the worse a situation gets for a counselor, like your the only one left) can be costly. That would take little effort to do yet give some semblance of a storm. If they cant do this...man what the hell?!

I mean what is that? A couple good sound effects and some dynamic lighting? That's expensive? obviously people want something. Totally understand the full out rain issue, but sound effects and lightning? come on...

Not as much. That's more about creating textures, models and landscapes that play into weather like that.

We can't just say 'let it rain,' and expect the engine to make stuff wet. Doesn't work like that. We have to create wet clothes, wet buildings, wet ground, water particle effects that are believable. Basically we're making entirely new maps and content for the sake of weather being added to our game. Sure, other titles do have that functionality, but those major titles with dynamic weather are titles with major budgets with teams specifically built around the work of creating said effects (GTA, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, etc...). Those games share tech that's been worked on with budgets bigger than our game.

The normal method is to load up a 'wet' version of the map without it being dynamic. That's way less resource-intensive, but again, we're building things essentially from scratch and that's why it's expensive.

I understand. Makes sense now. I do agree with CrazyRalph on the lightning and thunder rumble. Would be cool to have when Jason cuts the power and you're in a cabin in darkness and have the lightning flash light up the inside, outside works as well. Would add a creep factor.

You're one of the guys making the game, you probably know more than anyone else on the forums so I won't argue with what you said on cost and the rest of the post. To put it in a nutshell; I am still looking forward to the game and am not really fussed about weather and/or fog.

Speaking of which, I am seeing a fair few people arguing with the developers about the game, when I highly doubt they themselves have any experience in doing so with the tools these guys have and the resources at their disposal. We're looking at a beacon of light in a very lacking genre of games people!

• Like 1

Sounds like creating a map that was always raining (instead of on/off weather effects) would be more doable. But you probably want to reuse a lot of assets rather than create new ones.

You could have created the game so that it is always raining in the first place to avoid that extra work.

Always raining F13 woulda been all right with me. I wonder if they ever had that conversation.

Storm sounds and effects in the distance, I agree, would be a nice atmospheric touch.

• Like 1

Best bet.

DLC or patches with the standard maps but it's been raining. It avoids the issues with dynamic weather, lets the team reuse some assets while making something new, gives us something just a bit different after x months of play, and would be creepy to boot.  

Yea, a wet campground like how it looked at higgins haven in the beginning of part 4. The ground was wet with puddles.

Speaking of which, I am seeing a fair few people arguing with the developers about the game, when I highly doubt they themselves have any experience in doing so with the tools these guys have and the resources at their disposal. We're looking at a beacon of light in a very lacking genre of games people!

A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that a game world with realistic aspects translates to the real world in terms of what we know to be true; they believe physics should already be applied, they believe color and light should be automatic. There is for some reason an assumption that game developers are simply populating a fully-created world with our own assets. This is simply not the case. Every single aspect of every single thing in a game you play had to have been built and written by various programs running within the confines of the game. Everything. Walking, running, animations, walls, collision detection, HUD, player interaction, map interaction, menu selection, physics, colors, etc. It's all done by the work of a person. 

There are filters to the color of each map to create an overall scheme. Physics has to be created to match the desired feel of the game, all assets have to be created, placed in the map and made to look real and part of the overall scheme of the game. This is all done by hand. Sure, there are companies that offer '3D world builders,' but those assets you use to create your maps in various games were the result of years of work on part of the development team to create and build those assets and gameplay elements.

Let me give you an idea of just the major 'benchmarks' that helped define games in the earliest years of this industry: 

These changes took years of work with new tech to figure out. The more we get into hyper-realism, the more minute tweaks that need to occur. 

If we want to do thunder and lightning, the sound design is possible, but an entirely new skybox would need to be created. Luckily our lighting engine in the game can help, but even then it's a lot of work to ensure functionality that won't cause crashing issues. It's way less work than a full on thunderstorm, for sure. 

• Like 5

To be honest, I'd rather have gameplay and game stability than flashy graphics any day. Less crashes, less framerate drops and less random disconnects enhance the experience a lot more than a bit of ambient fog and lighting :)