Davidt

I believe i was hacked last night

So last night i received a couple emails. First one being from sony to say someone has changed my sign in id for the playstation network. At first i was thinking this was a scam email that ive seen many times from other companies and if u click links and fill out details hackers get all your information.

Shortly after i received emails from paypal to say $80 has been transferred to a sony network account in europe. I have contacted sony through their support and also sent a dispute for the transaction with paypal. Not sure what else i can do but play the waiting game and see if i get my account/money back.

That sucks. Make sure to change your passwords, etc. I hope you get your money back. PayPal is pretty good about that stuff.

Thanks guys. It does indeed suck ive changed passwords on what i could but unfortunately cant do anything for my psn atm seeing as the login id was changed.

Whew, DavidT. On a site like this I was imagining the worst. You barely holding on to life as you typed on your phone, telling us all that some demented killer took an axe to you. 

I can't say this type of hack is any good, but being an optimist, better. 

All in all, when I've had issues it's gotten sorted. You'll likely have some paperwork to fill out, but I'd imagine that should be about the end of it if you are quick to alert them.

well i thought all good friends here seems like a good place to share news bad or good. Probably bad choice of words for title not sure if i can edit it.

I alerted seem as soon as i knew this happened being the weekend it may take longer than usual before i hear back. sony did send an automatic email i assume saying they are pretty busy and will get to my issue as soon as possible

well i thought all good friends here seems like a good place to share news bad or good. Probably bad choice of words for title not sure if i can edit it.

I alerted seem as soon as i knew this happened being the weekend it may take longer than usual before i hear back. sony did send an automatic email i assume saying they are pretty busy and will get to my issue as soon as possible

I'm just pulling your leg. I knew what you meant. I was just making terrible jokes. 

• Like 1

I'm just pulling your leg. I knew what you meant. I was just making terrible jokes. 

HEY! HEY! Terrible jokes are MY department! You get out of my department right now!

Wow that sucks bro. sometimes those warning emails are scams themselves and if you reply or open them you can be in trouble. hackers are terrible these days.

Wow that sucks bro. sometimes those warning emails are scams themselves and if you reply or open them you can be in trouble. hackers are terrible these days.

Yeah thats y i went to the playstation site and realised i couldnt get in, i thought oh fuck. And i know the paypal was legit cause it addressed me by full name and i logged into my account to see the $80 was in fact sent from there.

• Like 1

HEY! HEY! Terrible jokes are MY department! You get out of my department right now!

Dude, I know where to find bloodied weapons! They''ll do more damage then clean ones!

• Like 1

hey hey hey this isnt darrens bloodied weapon thread leave that nonsense out of here lol

• Like 1

You would need to contact PlayStation support through chat as soon as they open. The same recently happened to me. They changed the e-mail associated with the account so I could not log in. I have nothing linked to my PS account so they didn't really do anything. As for the PayPal that's odd that they were able to get your information for that as well.

Once you get back in your account it will be a good idea to enable 2 step authentication on your PSN account to prevent it from happening again.

Sorry that happened though it is very frustrating being locked out. Mine happen at 3am est and they didn't open until 9am pst so I had to sit there and stew until that time lol.

I think my PayPal is linked to PlayStation network i can't recall what payment I set up when first putting money on there as I barely use it to buy stuff once I get it back I will be removing all accounts linked to prevent money being stolen again.

If I wanna get more PlayStation plus I will just buy the cards they sell in my local stores

I think my PayPal is linked to PlayStation network i can't recall what payment I set up when first putting money on there as I barely use it to buy stuff once I get it back I will be removing all accounts linked to prevent money being stolen again.

If I wanna get more PlayStation plus I will just buy the cards they sell in my local stores

That's what I do on all platforms. Gift cards for funds and subscriptions. Probably why the hacker that hacked my account walked away with nothing.

• Like 1

That's what i also do when i want to buy something on PSN or Amazon,get a gift card.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you. I always use gift cards to purchase anything from Sony and Microsoft. I hope you get everything sorted out!

Update: I rang playstation support and they have currently deactivated any billing services and also banned my account until this is resolved. I had to give them an email address to link to my account and send some photo ID. Can take up to 10 business days to resolve they said hopefully it is fixed much sooner than that. Now i play the waiting game lol

I know this is off topic and I'm sorry but I can not for the life of me figure out how to start a new post so can someone tell me how?

I know this is off topic and I'm sorry but I can not for the life of me figure out how to start a new post so can someone tell me how?

Go to the forum you want to work in, and look to the right of the screen. At the same level as the pages in the forum, to the far right there will be a "Start New Topic" button. Tap it. Make your thread. But before you do that, since you're here, lament Davidt's Playstation woes with the rest of us. 

Update: I rang playstation support and they have currently deactivated any billing services and also banned my account until this is resolved. I had to give them an email address to link to my account and send some photo ID. Can take up to 10 business days to resolve they said hopefully it is fixed much sooner than that. Now i play the waiting game lol

Well on the bright side, it's not so early in 2017 that the F13 game has dropped yet, so you're not missing out on that. Hopefully your fixes are painless and fast, guy. 

• Like 1

Well on the bright side, it's not so early in 2017 that the F13 game has dropped yet, so you're not missing out on that. Hopefully your fixes are painless and fast, guy.

Ive also got it ordered for pc so im good to go lol

And i got it back :) didnt take them long at all once i emailed a picture of my license

• Like 1

I'm glad for you.

Just a tip: next time you get an e-mail that is about any of your sensitive info, don't ignore it, but don't click any links in the e-mail either.

Just go straight to the concerning website and check it out. That way you don't risk being fished, but you can still check out the problem.

Like others said, 2 step verification where you can, and it's also smart to use a password manager and let it generate random passwords for you. That way you can't be hacked on other platforms when one of your accounts has been stolen.

I'm glad for you.

Just a tip: next time you get an e-mail that is about any of your sensitive info, don't ignore it, but don't click any links in the e-mail either.

Just go straight to the concerning website and check it out. That way you don't risk being fished, but you can still check out the problem.

Like others said, 2 step verification where you can, and it's also smart to use a password manager and let it generate random passwords for you. That way you can't be hacked on other platforms when one of your accounts has been stolen.

Checking the site is exactly what i did i always do or i google what fake email looks like to see if it is a phishing scam as some look close to the real thing. I have now enabled 2 step verification on my paypal and psn since this happened. Also the $80 taken is now back in my bank account so im happy.

Sure am my account worked again once i sent id to playstation support paypal took a few days to get the money back but at least its all back to normal now. Shouldnt happen again as i now have no payment setup with my account and put 2 step verification on as i said  above.