Sign in to follow this  
GunMedia_Ben

Horror, and what it means to you?

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, Alien_Number_Six said:

I have seen my fair share of horrific shit for real in my day. I won't go into it all but I was in the Army and was deployed during some tough years of operation Iraqi Freedom. But I can tell you this. Gerald's Game has a scene in it that made me more squeamish then actually seeing people blowen to hell and back. It brought back memories and triggered the hell out of me. I think true horror needs to have that effect on you. That "i want to look away but i just can't" feeling. It can't be achieved by gore alone. It has to be cerebral. 

Thanks for your service dude!

... and on Gerald's Game I watched that couple of weeks back on a friends recommendation. Great film but I think I know the scene you mean ... the broken glass, hand "escape" bit at the end?  That was really rough!  I think it was so effective because the film had been quite soft to that point on the gore front.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:12 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

Thanks for your service dude!

... and on Gerald's Game I watched that couple of weeks back on a friends recommendation. Great film but I think I know the scene you mean ... the broken glass, hand "escape" bit at the end?  That was really rough!  I think it was so effective because the film had been quite soft to that point on the gore front.

I didn't want to give it away but yeah. I think it effected me because she did it to herself. 

To me horror is a place that we can really examine things about ourselves. Much more so than other genres because it's a space that's designated for darkness and there isn't a limit to how far down that can go.

Hellraiser and Halloween. but id like to see stories from good books by S. Connoly Demonaltry and art and 1950s comic horror like Creepshow in movies and games.im a huge James Wan fan and i love The Conjuring and Annabelle Movies and stories.

In terms of horror films, I'd have to say my overall favourite (Controversial on this site I know xD) Would be Nightmare on Elm Street. To me, the best horrors are ones that are creative and have likeable or unique characters tackling the situation in a smart and interesting way. Its why I like Ginny from part 2 so much, or Nancy from OG Elm Street, they both managed to overcome a seemingly unstoppable force mostly on their own using their mind, wit and willpower.

I only like some horror stuff.I live in Wisconsin,so that should tell you why I refuse to watch movies about real-life killers.I don't like horror movies glorifying real killers,so i only like stuff like Friday The 13th,aliens and zombies among others,basically fantasy horror,i guess.

In particular,I like Friday The 13th so much because it's a tale of tragedy and revenge.I myself am not a parent,but i do have a learning disabilty,so i went through special ed classes in high school,so i can imagine how Pamela Voorhees felt when she thought Jason had drowned.In Part 5,you got to see how Roy reacted when his special-needs son was killed.With Jason,you wonder how does he process losing a parent.As i said elsewhere in the forums,I lost my dad unexpectedly last year,i was doing at home-hospice care for him during his last two weeks of life....now my mom is dying of cancer,and i'm having a hard time processing losing both my parents,and i'm only 42(My parents had me late in life,and rather unexpectedly).I was,and still am,the outcast of any group i'm in,so i guess i relate alot to several themes in Friday The 13th.But i also like Nightmare on Elm Street,Halloween,Hellraiser,Scream,George Romero's zombie movies,Resident Evil,Alien,Predator,Phantasm,Child's Play,Christopher Lee's Dracula movies,and the version of Phantom of the Opera that Robert Englund was in.

3 hours ago, JF13 said:

I only like some horror stuff.I live in Wisconsin,so that should tell you why I refuse to watch movies about real-life killers.I don't like horror movies glorifying real killers,so i only like stuff like Friday The 13th,aliens and zombies among others,basically fantasy horror,i guess.

In particular,I like Friday The 13th so much because it's a tale of tragedy and revenge.I myself am not a parent,but i do have a learning disabilty,so i went through special ed classes in high school,so i can imagine how Pamela Voorhees felt when she thought Jason had drowned.In Part 5,you got to see how Roy reacted when his special-needs son was killed.With Jason,you wonder how does he process losing a parent.As i said elsewhere in the forums,I lost my dad unexpectedly last year,i was doing at home-hospice care for him during his last two weeks of life....now my mom is dying of cancer,and i'm having a hard time processing losing both my parents,and i'm only 42(My parents had me late in life,and rather unexpectedly).I was,and still am,the outcast of any group i'm in,so i guess i relate alot to several themes in Friday The 13th.But i also like Nightmare on Elm Street,Halloween,Hellraiser,Scream,George Romero's zombie movies,Resident Evil,Alien,Predator,Phantasm,Child's Play,Christopher Lee's Dracula movies,and the version of Phantom of the Opera that Robert Englund was in.

Prayers to you, bud. Thanks for sharing. ❤️ 

And I used to live in Wisconsin for five years. Tried to figure out what about the place lends itself to serial killers. Boredom? Lots of meats and beer? Haha. If you’ve figured it out, let us know.

8 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

I used to live in Wisconsin for five years. Tried to figure out what about the place lends itself to serial killers. Boredom? Lots of meats and beer? Haha. If you’ve figured it out, let us know.

Aww, come on Ted. Wisconsin only had Dahmer, Ellis, Spanbauer, and Gein...oh wait...nevermind. :huh: Honestly, I think they were all lactose intolerant. It's the cheese that drove them mad, the cheese I tell ya!

4 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Aww, come on Ted. Wisconsin only had Dahmer, Ellis, Spanbauer, and Gein...oh wait...nevermind. :huh: Honestly, I think they were all lactose intolerant. It's the cheese that drove them mad, the cheese I tell ya!

Or the creepy nights in the countryside. I occasionally got the urge to do some wild shit when I lived there. Could be the geo-magnetic pull in that state.

Or the cheese!!! 🧀 

I do like slasher movies but I do not think they represent horror well the only movies that really got me in a deep emotional yet scaring way were martyrs, the human centipede (just cause it's so insane) and the serbian film.

Those movies really make me wish I had a time machine to go back in time and stop me from watching them.