Risinggrave

Friday the 13th Reboot: How would you script it?

With the October movie being cancelled, and the plot points being put out on the internet, I wondered what it would be like if we were put in charge. If your vision for the reboot was to be filmed, how would you go about it?

For me, It’s a fine line to walk between what is expected for the franchise and doing stuff just a bit differently. Go too far off the beaten path and we get Jason goes to Hell or Jason X. Stick too close to the originals and have a by-the-numbers film lacking enthusiasm. 

One of the biggest issues for me is the final girl. When you know who she is a third of the way into the movie, a lot of drama and suspense is taken out of the film. So one of the things I would do is try to make the cast work in such a way that nobody knows who will live or die. That alone should ramp up the suspense even if the plot is simplistic.

Jason in this series is already an older teen. We would pick up with Camp Crystal Lake’s owner talking Mrs. Voorhees into working at the camp with him noting Jason could make friends and act like a normal kid for once. Jason would show up a few times but the camera would never have him in frame. Shots from behind, out of focus, far off shots and the like obscure his face. At some point one of the counselors would comment on his ugly appearance and another (our jock sort) would forcibly strap a hockey mask on Jason, who would go along with it because he is trying to fit in. Only now can Jason be seen clearly on film.

Soon Jason is talked into taking a canoe ride and here is where things begin to go south. In an subverted homage to the original film a counselor jumps up out of the water, yanking on Jason and tipping him into the water. However as we all know, Jason can’t swim. As a matter of fact he sinks like a stone.

The rest of the film would pick up some time after, in the winter, with the teens all dying horribly to an unseen killer. This would play with fan perceptions because they may think it’s Mrs. Voorhees, but also maybe Jason. I mean, we can’t have an F13 film without Jason, right? Also fans have wanted snow for how long now?

Our final girl would hopefully be the one you didn’t expect. I’m leaning with the goth chick myself. And we would end with the Mrs. Voorhees vs counselor battle on the frozen lake at the campsite. As expected Pam gets decapitated.

The final scene is the girl standing over Pam’s dead body on the lake. then, we get the true homage to the original film. Jason bursts up through the ice, hockey mask and all to drag our final girl under the water with him.

Fade to black. Cue sharp Manfredini score. 

I wouldn't reboot, I'd do something in the continuity of the first eight films with a score very similar to those films. Without the right music, it's not Friday the 13th- kind of like Star Wars or James Bond.

• Like 2

I want a continuation after 8. A bloated toxic waste corpse. Maybe some deposits have almost created hard bony structures that protrude from his rotten flesh. These are formed by compacted bio matter and the toxic waste. I like how in jgth the mask kindve fused or sunk into his skin also.

• Like 1

I respect the idea not to reboot. That is my biggest issue with the original continuity. It ended with a whimper, not a bang. Space? Really, guys? I personally end my head canon with six. The return to the lake is a poetic ending. 

With that, Ralph, don't get me started on JgtH's look. It's wicked good, and a shame to have been wasted in that film. I'm glad the game will finally allow me to use that skin to tear some kids apart. 

• Like 1

I would be all for rebooting the series. That way, if you do something to shit the bed, at least it won't change THAT Jason.

If I had any creative control, I'd keep the movies lower budget, absolutely no CGI, and have to stories progress slowly. If you want to bring Jason's Mother back into it, then dedicate a movie to it. Don't try sticking the first three movies in one movie like the remake did.

Also, Crazy Ralph shouldn't have died. Keep that boy around!

I would be all for rebooting the series. That way, if you do something to shit the bed, at least it won't change THAT Jason.

If I had any creative control, I'd keep the movies lower budget, absolutely no CGI, and have to stories progress slowly. If you want to bring Jason's Mother back into it, then dedicate a movie to it. Don't try sticking the first three movies in one movie like the remake did.

Also, Crazy Ralph shouldn't have died. Keep that boy around!

To be fair, I really liked the reboot in 09' for taking the best parts of 2-4 and merging them. I'm with you on doing as much practical effects as possible. 

As far as Ralph, I'm the opposite. I think everybody should die. This whole Jason has to lose because he is the bad guy stuff is nonsense. 

Why not have a guy, such as the jock; live for once? Tired of watching horror films and the girl always lives because the guys are too stupid to make the right decisions or put up a fight.

Why not have a guy, such as the jock; live for once? Tired of watching horror films and the girl always lives because the guys are too stupid to make the right decisions or put up a fight.

I've always said this about horror movies! That is what I loved about the first Scream. If you set the precedent that 'not everyone will die,' it makes chase sequences worth your time.

• Like 1

I think the perfect "13th" F13 film would be that all the final girls come together to finish kane hodders jason. Tina, Ginnie, Rennie, & Alice's actresses all stated that they would return if asked. Some of the surviving male actors said they would return as well.

I read a Nick Antosca"s script on internet, its not bad at all, it has all atributes of F13 classics, camp, counselours, some fire stories, they visit a camp that is across the lake where Pamela had her murders, Jason is stalking, brutal murders by him, good story, its shame that wasnt filmed, i would definitely like that movie if it was filmed

I read a Nick Antosca"s script on internet, its not bad at all, it has all atributes of F13 classics, camp, counselours, some fire stories, they visit a camp that is across the lake where Pamela had her murders, Jason is stalking, brutal murders by him, good story, its shame that wasnt filmed, i would definitely like that movie if it was filmed

I recently read the same script. It was really good. Better then what the 2017 film was going to be. 

It's a damn shame that movie wasn't made. 

• Like 1

The 2009 wasnt too bad,but i'll have to agree that trying to cram too much plots in a movie can sometime be too much to absorb,take the Spiderman movies for exemple.

If i was making a Friday the 13th movie,i would skip the whole Pamela stuff and go directly to Jason instead,she would still be refferenced of course but only as a story/legend told by someone.

Im not saying that she is not an important character when it comes to the lore,but there's been so many movies with Jason that he's pretty much the icon of the franchise,having more of Pamela and less of Jason will just make some peoples say ''Hurry up,when is Jason going to show up.'',so yeah i think it's better to only focus on Jason instead of having like 2 or 3 killers (dad,mother and son)

As for Jason,i would prefer having a human version again instead of the zombie version,i think undead Jason as been done to death to the point that when certain peoples think of Jason they think about that version instead of the human one.

The hockey mask stay of course and will be found by Jason at some point,but i think i would go with something more similar to how the 3rd movie showed Jason during the first half,like forget about the sack on his head,have Jason not wearing anything but have the camera never showing his face like Risingrave suggested,then once he find the mask we finally see him clearly...also yes...we definitely need a unmasking scene where we see his face,that's the one complaint i have about the more recent films,they never truly show Jason face correctly,we need a proper unmasking moment.

Zombie Jason has been done to death. Haha, Frank, you kill me! 

I do agree with you on unmasking as a fan. Even though my head canon script avoided it, I think the unmasking is one of the best parts of the franchise. Getting to see just what Jason's true form is awesome. (3 was my favorite under the mask look) This was actually one of my larger annoyances with the 2009 reboot. 

As far as not having Pamela, I can dig that. I often skip the original and watch 2-4, 6 when I cycle through the films. 

At this point, if they want to do human jason, it should be a sequel to the f13 remake. No more reboots of reboots. If they go zombie, it should follow directly after part 8. Dont know why producers cant grasp this equation.

At this point, if they want to do human jason, it should be a sequel to the f13 remake. No more reboots of reboots. If they go zombie, it should follow directly after part 8. Dont know why producers cant grasp this equation.

These are the same producers who kept Deadpool under wraps until it leaked and the masses howled for it. These are the same producers who took seventeen years to realize Wolverine needs an R rating and to cut through his enemies in a bloody fashion. These are the same producers who didn't make 2017 F13 because a Rings sequel underperformed. 

Producers are morons it seems. Don't expect them to grasp common sense.

Quick edit. Same producers doesn't mean same people. I'm lumping producers from all studios together.

We need a director to helm the series who loves the franchise and do the same thing christopher nolan did for the recent batman movies.

We need a director to helm the series who loves the franchise and do the same thing christopher nolan did for the recent batman movies.

Indeed.

Still out of positivity. So here is a manual+1

• Like 1

I really think the Antosca script would have given us an excellent Jason Voorhees movie. The descriptions of him alone were amazing. As fans,we really missed out on a potential classic. Gusikowski's draft was meh. He tried to do way too much in one movie. Might have made an interesting miniseries though. And now,we're back to limbo.  :(

• Like 1

I wouldn't. I would re play the original classic at the flicks and make a killing that way (no pun intended  ;) )

I wouldn't. I would re play the original classic at the flicks and make a killing that way (no pun intended  ;) )

Boooo! 

While I love the classics, I'd still like to see a reboot that turns into an actual franchise, or at least have the original series pick up after part 8, ignore the New Line garbage and continue the old franchise. 

I love the old stuff, but I want more content.