CrazyRalph

Friday the 13th (part 13)technically NOW CASTING!

46 posts in this topic

Great news.

I'm not excited about an origin story though- if they make his family white trash like Zombie's remake of Halloween I'm going to be pissed. I never cared who Jason's Dad is, it never mattered. Kind of like Norman Bates, who cares who his Dad is?

2 people like this

Great news.

I'm not excited about an origin story though- if they make his family white trash like Zombie's remake of Halloween I'm going to be pissed. I never cared who Jason's Dad is, it never mattered. Kind of like Norman Bates, who cares who his Dad is?

I completely agree on making him white trash. I always saw him coming from a middle class home with a single mother. If they don't go over the top with the Dad, I think I can be fine with that. But I really hope they do not mess with the "Angry Soccer Mom" Pamela puts off so well.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I hope it's not as generic of a story that the father is abusive and the mother ends up killing him to protect Jason.

There actually is a comic called "Pamela's Tale" I believe, that dealt with Jason, Pamela, and Elias. If they are doing origin, they might pull elements from there.

What if Jason's dad is actually a pushover, like a beta male? He works an office job, doesn't stand up for himself, has fallen out of love with Pamela, and doesn't care much for Jason because of his condition. When Jason supposedly drowns, he doesn't push for an investigation into why Jason drowned and he leaves town and leaves Pamela. This tips Pamela over the edge and thus she starts killing.

I'm just one state away from Conyers, GA so I would very much like to know how to get into the casting process.

1 person likes this

What if Jason's dad is actually a pushover, like a beta male? He works an office job, doesn't stand up for himself, has fallen out of love with Pamela, and doesn't care much for Jason because of his condition. When Jason supposedly drowns, he doesn't push for an investigation into why Jason drowned and he leaves town and leaves Pamela. This tips Pamela over the edge and thus she starts killing.

I'm just one state away from Conyers, GA so I would very much like to know how to get into the casting process.

It's an alright idea but I wonder what the purpose of Jason's Dad would even be? What does it bring to the character? Why is it necessary to know? I worry they're running with it because they can't think of anything better. Do we really want to watch a Friday the 13th about Jason's Dad's involvement?

I honestly think Jason's Dad should just be a normal guy that passed away of something equally normal like cancer or a heart attack. I think Jason came from a loving home, it was his drowning that sent Pamela over the edge.

I hate the idea that she goes crazy because of a husband's abuse or neglect. It turns into a man-hating thing and it's a tired and cheap storyline crutch.

I really believe Betsy Palmer saw it as a unique and special bound between Mother and son, no Father required.

1 person likes this

Really hope those filming dates are accurate means we could very well see it release for october friday the 13th

1 person likes this

They said that was "the plan"...

1 person likes this

Dude I hope they don't make Jason unsympathetic. That's part of the reason I like the character more then guys like Freddy or Michael.

If he ends up just being born evil I'm going to be a bit pissed.

I know nothing of Jason's backstory, but here is how I would do it;

Have a conflict somehow killing off or causing Elias to run away.  Have Elias be the original protector of Jason, Pamela the caretaker, then once Elias was out of the picture, Pamela had no choice but to step up for Jason, thus doubling up on her protectiveness.

Pamela Voorhees was angry at the teens for not watching his son and having sex... alright.  I don't honestly see that as a reason to slaughter all teens that ever existed.  Maybe if she had a bad past experience with them even before that incident it would make more sense that when her son died, she snapped, and there was no going back.

Otherwise, normally killers go for the ones responsible, not a general group.  And serial killers need a better motive than that.  It's a good motive to snap, but not one to go serial.  The kids were being irresponsible, and they are at fault for that, but Pamela needs more reason to think that ALL teenagers are unchangeable in this regard, thus justifying her need to eliminate anyone remotely similar.

So I would have Elias be the protector and he either dies in an accident or gets mugged or something bad happens surrounding teens, them being the center.  Maybe the teens play a prank on him and he dies after a really freak "prank gone wrong" situation.  Pamela would be forced to step up and double her protection and care for Jason, making her more than just a provider; a devouring mother.  The situation haunts her, and she is always cautious around teens now.  Well, then Crystal Lake happens... Pamela snaps.

If any backstory is to be necessary, I think it should focus more around Pamela, less around Jason.  We already know Jason's story.  Pamela... she's kinda a slate at this time.  She deserves more.

1 person likes this

Adding Elias is unnecessary.

I bet most Friday fans will remember interviews with Betsy Palmer saying how she envisioned Pamela as a young girl who fell for the wrong guy. When he found out she was pregnant, he bolted, leaving her to be a single mother. That's why she worked at the camp and also why she wore the class ring. 

Victor Miller also states that Pamela and Jason are the original victims of the Friday the 13th saga. It is their victimization that in turn drives the need for revenge. They were wronged and thus now will make others pay for it.

If PD is planning to bring in Elias and add all sorts of family occultism, it will certainly make for an interesting Friday. However, like Jason Goes to Hell, I will not be able to consider it canon. It just doesn't fit their character profiles. 

That being said, to his credit, Fuller even said that this is an 'alternate' Friday universe. So, have at it and hopefully we just get some really interesting and original Jason action. If anything, I am hoping they improve the relentlessness of Jason and avoid the mistakes from 2009 when it comes to the kill designs. 

Does anyone actually have an idea of how to get in the casting process for this movie? I really want to try it even if I'm just an extra for 3 seconds.

Ultimate Model Management... they have a Facebook, maybe you can message them to see when they're looking for extras.

Info from a casting call:

(1) Submit online via our talent submission form,

(2) Drop off your headshot and resume at our agency office located at 3348 Peachtree Rd NE, Tower Place 200 Suite #700, Atlanta GA 30326, Monday thru Friday from 9 am – 5 pm, or

(3) Attend our next open casting call (view upcoming dates).

Yeah...all im getting is a mix between Jason Goes To Hell demon nonsense, all the while potentially stealing from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre family dynamics.

I don't mind changing some things around in favor of telling a different story. However, im not interested in completely changing the entire dynamic of the story. Jason from sympathetic to unsympathetic. Elias from being a potential asshole to being someone who sees the evil in his son. Pamela it feels like they are keeping mostly the same, but because they are changing Jason, it forces them to make Pamela look stupid.

Sometimes you go too far. I can understand why Rob tampered with Michael Myers. He killed because pure evil, which is more chilling, but less fulfilling. However the answer wasn't to make Michael Myers come from a white trash home. Though I will give Rob credit for attempting to spend more time with Michael at Smith's Grove. The problem is the origin story fell flat. Even the curse of Thorn would've been a better idea to go back to than white trash nonsense.

Same thing with Michael Bay's Freddy remake. Changing Freddy from a child killer to straight pedo kinda took to lore off of Freddy. It didn't help that they built a good part of the film around hiding that fact about Freddy. It didn't help that the remake was horrifically boring and JEH wasn't anywhere near as fun as Freddy as Robert Englund was throughout the years. To be fair, those are big shoes to fill.

I would defend the 2009 F13 remake though. I thought it went back to basics. It took reassociation with Paramount for that to even happen after all the damage New Line did to the series.

Still...the easiest thing ever is the Winter Crystal Lake Idea, perhaps with Tina, Tommy and assorted others going after Jason there. It should be something special for the 13th film and an origin story doesn't feel special at all.

1 person likes this

Vomit.  Much like the 2009 reboot.  Here is what I would do.  Gather all of the survivors from the original films.

Call it Friday the 13th part 9 because let´s face it.  THE part 9 is crap and doesn´t follow in continuity and thus throws 10 out the window and the Freddy vs. Jason crap.

The survivors get together and head to Crystal Lake.  Jenny, and the gang.  Tina, Tommy Jarvis, Reggie, Pam, Trisha, and Chris.  

It would bring the nostalgia back for sure.  At least for me.

Ugh, I really just want a sequel that continues either from part 8 or from the remake, just another splatter-fest Crystal Lake...why does everything have to be an origin story? Why cant we finally see winter Crystal lake?

I digress, if they must go this path, I would like a few things:

I for one really hope they make the Voorhees family fairly normal.

I want you to see that Pamela deeply cares for Jason, and is overprotective.

I want Elias to be a normal, if a bit distant father. Sort of like he either regrets his relationship with Pam, or he's disappointed his son isn't normal, but is a decent enough man to still be there for them.

I want the kids at school to be fairly accepting of him, with an exception of a few mean kids.

Its only when he goes to the camp with his mother that he meets new kids (and councilors) that arent used to him and then bully him more.

Perhaps show the younger kids are accepting of him, but because the councilors treat him like a freak, the younger ones feed on it and turn on Jason. < This also help add fuel to Pamela's reaction.

They can show that Jason does get angry and frustrated (not necessarily violent) when hes taunted, but his mothers caring and nurturing nature is what calms him down. Sort of like Black Widow for Hulk in Avengers 2

When he drowns, show things really unravel for Pamela, make her sympathetic. Elias leaves her, partially because he previously felt trapped and partially because of remorse. Have her bosses threaten her over her absence at work instead of allowing her to grieve, show lack of sympathy from other parents, maybe even be taunted and pranked by a few mean councilors, really pushing her over the edge.

If they make it part of the old continuity, I dont really want an explanation for his survival, I just want him to be an adult after Pamela dies.

If they make it part of the remake continuity, as they already established young Jason was there to witness Pam's death, show a 5-10 min sequence of him sort of dealing with her absence, establishing himself, hunting, learning to live off the land, etc. Slowly becoming the sack head Jason we were introduced to, now a competent survivalist. 

2 people like this

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. Platinum Dunes has hurt me before, but I didn't hate F13 '09. I am wary of the origin element, but if it's not a big focus, then I can let it slide.

I mainly hope they drop the "Part 13" element of the title. It's stupid and the original canon, obviously, stopped at 10.

Yeah, technically there was never a part IX F13. So it would be Friday the 13th part IX: Jason comes home or whatever. Newlines fiascos dont count. They never even carried the f13 title.

Maybe they will drop the XIII and add a number or subtitle, but knowing marketing people, they will probably try to capitalize on the thirteenth movie about Jason somehow

AND THEN it was said New Line would get the rights back in 2018. FFFUUUUCK! F13 truely does have a death curse on it! If Paramount doesnt make it, and NewLine gets their greaseball paws back on it, we can rest assued the next F13 WILL INDEED SUCK.