wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

So random question:

How long does certification approximately take by itself? Since there's a checklist of shit to do, i'm assuming there's a rough understanding of how long each attempt will take?

Now, taking into account that it might fail, ii'm just asking like...what time up to a certain point is NORMAL for it to take? Does it take a month? 2? just a few days?

How often do you get feedback on what goes wrong? DO you have to restart the entire process when they find a fault, or does it pick up from that point on the checklist?

I want to make clear that what I'm about to post is just speculation based off of things I've read here and there. It doesn't mean that this is all 100% accurate and some could be very wrong, so keep that in mind as you read any further. I'm just answering the best I can with what I've got.

1. I "think" the process itself takes about a 5-7 days, at least according to Kotaku (I know, poor source for anything but ya use what ya got), but that's assuming they don't hit a snag that causes a fail and leads to the need to fix that and resubmit for certification. Wes said in an earlier post that there is a checklist. Unfortunately, the devs don't get all of them but they do get some of it. 

The only reason you haven’t seen a release date is because we have to pass console certification. Let me explain what that means. Once we have a candidate (feature and content complete) we have to send a build to Sony and Microsoft. Their internal teams test the game against a very intense checklist to make sure we pass. We have some details on how this process is “graded” but we don’t have everything they check against. Additionally, each territory has different guidelines. Let’s just look at Sony. There’s SCEA, SCEE, SCEJ and Sony Asia. Each of these territories has a different rule book and we don’t have access to all of these. So, to a certain degree, we go at this a little blind. What passes in North America, may not pass in Japan for example. 

So they are trying to meticulously tweak things to get it certified on the first pass. So cross your fingers for them. If it passes certification it's about 30 days from that that they can sell the game on platforms. To quote Wes:

So here’s my promise to you. Once we pass certification we are considered “Gold”. The very second that happens, we can release a date. The moment we hit “Gold” it will roughly be 30 days after that when the game is available for sell. So why not go ahead and take pre-orders via PS4, XB1 and Steam? Well, because they don’t allow preorders until we are 30 days from launch. Bigger, AAA, games have some leverage here, which is why you see pre-orders months and months before target launch. They have a relationship with MS, Sony and Valve. We’re the little guys, so we’re treated a little differently. It’s the nature of the beast. Sony has been a little more open to this idea and we’re working with them now to see if we can get a larger pre-order window. 

2 & 3. If it were to fail it would really depend on how much tweaking they have to do to whatever failed. Could be a day, could be a month. Then they resubmit and start the process again. As for feedback, I think the way it works (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is that once it's submitted, the console certification team does their thing, and then you get the report once it's done.  

Well I think you are taking that tweet out of context. That comment was made in regards to what exactly early 2017 encompasses. A good chunk of people are viewing early 2017 as quarters. The year is broken up in sections. Early, Middle and Late. Meaning Early = January-April Middle = May-August Late = Sept-Dec.

Quarters are Q1 = Jan-March Q2 = April-June Q3 = July-Sept Q4 = Oct-Dec.

As you can see it alters time frames. And people will argue that Early is Jan-March.

Using bugs as a timetable for completion is not a valid gauge. When you start adding things such as features and content sometimes the new code breaks old code and creates bugs. This happens sometimes when patches are applied. Also a reason for a lot of the bugs was an issue when your ping reached a rather high point. That issue is being addressed and that is the purpose of a beta. Things like that can not be seen in internal play test as its primarily localized.

The post here explains why the date is not announced yet and as Wes has said as soon as the game is gold the date will be announced. No one is giving concrete dates because it is not ideal to keep giving dates which ultimately casts doubt. When the game goes gold it's ready to go and the date you get will be a sure thing so I think you can agree a date that can be delivered on is much preferable to some random date to just keep people quiet.

i just wish we could hear more about extra maps and financial goals as the backer campaign is still taking orders.this game finished up pretty much and the orders are still rolling in.what kind of maps could we get with all the extra dough rolling in from the backer campaign. my estimate is this game wont be approved by sony and mirosoft untill may or june.then it probably wont ship untill october or november.

• Like 1

Just my two cents, I don't care when the game comes out. I'd rather it be sooner than later, but its their game.

Only thing is that I think it sucks that we're getting treated like entitled dumbasses because we want to know the release date (for example the : «finally someone with brains» tweet from one of the developers).

Keep in mind that the beta was FULL of bugs (which is normal for a beta), but at the date it came out, the game was supposed to be already out (remember the Fall 2016 release date?)! Of course it was delayed for « Tommy and the single player », but Tommy was implemented in the beta and they most likely haven't even started working on the single player, so what's happening?

My problem isn't with the release date, it's just I feel that even with a window as large as Early 2017, I feel like it'll fall short again, which is why I think many people are wanting to know a release date

That was Hobbs, he is very rude when it comes to any ideas or comments  from any one that isnt his field of view. I feel he shouldnt be in customer service with those comments towards people paying their bills. He flat out told one guy not to buy their game, because he stated the facts about the game lacking content. The other guys like wes handle comments very well. No one is putting their game down they just want to see the best product they should and could put out.

As for the last post were going to need more maps and would like to here about how many they have planned in all ? without more maps the game wont last more then a few months 6-9 maps total would be great. we have enough jasons and counselors but a part 4 skin would be nice for the part 3 model. I feel only a few of the counselors will be used anyways. news has been slacking lately but its been like that since before the beta. no news in about a month. pax south was just another sales ad not much to be learned for it. 

Im with all of you, we have waited for along time for them to build this game. If we didnt fund it I wouldnt care about how much content we get. but this is fan built game and should be complete. I could under stand if it was $100,000 game or less but where up in the multi millions now. ad-ons are a must.

• Like 3

I feel like since we have no new information and we've pretty much beaten our theories of the game like a dead horse, everyone's going feral. Hopefully we get some new info soon so we can discuss.

• Like 3

I feel like since we have no new information and we've pretty much beaten our theories of the game like a dead horse, everyone's going feral. Hopefully we get some new info soon so we can discuss.

This.

The developer of yandere-sim (google it) made a recent video explaining how he got work done in surges. Basically, he worked on the game, made progress, then it garnered attention at which point (for reasons i can't remember) development slowed down until people lost interest, then progress was made again, bringing in interest which in turn, once again, made the progress grind to a halt.

Now, this isn't a 1:1 ratio that you can rely on, but i figure that since yandere sim is 1 person + volunteers, a fully fletched team of devs (indie or not, there's still a world of difference here) that should be able to make steady progress. And we're reaching the point where there's so little trickling out that it's losing steam.

And it sucks that we can't say that honestly without being treated as entitled. It's the fact of the game, if you don't capitalize on the hype, it's dead in the water. Wait too long and you might get a small dedicated fanbase, but as already proven several times over that just won't work for a multiplayer game.

I mean shit, at this point i'm more looking forward to last year, which shouldn't happen since a, they're both the same genre of game and b, the beta alone for the latter isn't until sometime summer (for now...)

And i'm still kinda pissy about the poor timing of the beta. Fukken christmas? cool...not like people travel home for christmas. I got some gameplay in, but thanks to the beta mark, i got to try jason a grand total of 3 full matches. The rest bugged out or just never happened.

And that sucks a bit when it's the draw of the game. And then i went home so gg.

• Like 1

Once bitten, twice shy.

I agree momentum has slipped. The beta was pretty successful but I wonder if a Spring or Summer release will hurt or benefit the game. Winter is a dead zone with nothing for movies or games, we're heading into a time of year when all markets are overstuffed with new products.

About entitlement- as soon as you lay your money down, you're entitled to the product. People need to get off their high horses and deal with the reality of wanting or expecting something you've purchased (and supported) in a timely manner is completely fair. People use the term to silence people with a differing opinion. It's along the lines of claiming you're not a "true fan" if you dislike delays. :P

• Like 4

i find it funny that im complaining about wait time even though i found out about this game 3 weeks ago and pre ordered 2 weeks ago XD

I'm fine with waiting. Been waiting my whole life for a game like this lol. I think for the sake of the forum a little scrap of information should be thrown to us to discuss since other topics have gotten stale.

Illfonic and Gunmedia should show fans why its worth the wait. show us maps that are planned to acccompany the game. show us story mode.show us Manhattan Map. show us Pamela Voorhees.The Abandoned run down part of crystal lake.secret cabins,the town. story mode.

Illfonic and Gunmedia should show fans why its worth the wait. show us maps that are planned to acccompany the game. show us story mode.show us Manhattan Map. show us Pamela Voorhees.The Abandoned run down part of crystal lake.secret cabins,the town. story mode.

im pretty sure they havent even started work on some of the stuff youve listed here like manhatten and pamela

im surprised there is no part 8 trailer yet like the one for part 6 and maybe even part 9

you can expect the internet to be patient for a multiple month wait for a video games release but you have to update them on stuff through trailers (not tweets because not everyone uses twitter and even the ones you give via twitter arent usually that good)

the friday the 13th fan base isnt exactly patient 1-6 came out one year after the other and then a 2 year gap between 6 and 7 then a year later 8 then 3 years later for 9

until the end there when the movies quality dropped did we start to wait more than 2 years between movies     XD

• Like 1

We would likely get a Lazarus map as opposed to a Manhattan map, that would be considerably larger, and that's if they included that. Pamela though I don't think is going to happen for a long time, they did not reach that goal in the Kickstarter or Backer campaigns. Likely we will be getting Higgins, Crystal Lake and Packanack on launch

Agree that interest is cooling off, and this is doubly painful for F13 fans because the new movie plans have yet again been cancelled.

6 months ago were thinking: Game in a few months, Movie in a year, its going to be a great year for Jason!

Now: No movie at all, and tick tock tick tock waiting for the release date of the game, hell, waiting for any new piece of information.

I'm still going to play the crap out of the game, and I'm still super excited and I'm guessing most F13 fans, however disappointed they are now, will enjoy it when it finally does come out.

But the casual fans, the random streamers, the people that found out about the game during the beta...they will only remain interested for so long. New games, new systems coming out soon, lots of other things to keep entertained, this massive potential audience has to be reminded that this is coming out soon and to given a reason to stay interested. 

I'm not going to cry for constant updates because frankly I hope the team is 100% on getting it out as quick and as well as possible.

But, I would suggest little bones be thrown out from time to time. A while ago there was a suggestion that we could get a screenshot once a week, I think that would be awesome, similar to the time leading up to the beta: showing screenshots of the beautiful atmosphere, screenshots of the testing matches they play internally, etc. Hell, they could be used for revealing new clothes, teasing new locations or characters would keep interest high and keep people from foaming at the mouth too much. 

I get that they want to keep certain things secret until launch and I'm fine with that, but if we could get the screenshots similar to the fuse for the phone reveal ones, that would be enough. An obscured hint at a new councilor, new clothing for a known character and a new function in a couple of pictures. 

i hope it releases before the end of march or else my hype will be completeley dead on release

About interest on this game cooling off...

While F13 was in development if didn't have a MASSIVE following in the first place, and when the Beta went live on twitch I think it blindsided both the devs and fanbase how big it got and how quickly it got there. The devs didn't expect the hype train to explode all over the internet like it did. So honestly even if hype for the game dies down by half they would still have a LOT more eyes on this game than they expected to.

Also your hype shouldn't stop them from releasing a balanced and properly finished product. Its fine to be hyped, but theirs such a thing as over hyped.

Uhhh, WHAT?! None of that was ever confirmed to be... or even RUMORED to be in development.(except story mode) Their is NO WAY they can show us purely fictional pipe dreams.

As for the maps that actually exist they just showed us Packanack at pax.

Man... A lot of folks seem to forget that it was less than a month ago that they showed off J8, major game play changes, hinted a new ability and shots of Packanack lodge.

We got a lot of information not too long ago.

• Like 4

I know. It's just it's all been discussed I feel. We've gone through and discussed the part 6 look, throwing knives, speculations on the lodge, new stuns, new Jason ability and counselors being able to be run over with a car. I don't want another beta for fear of game delay but that's when the forums peaked. Since they are being secretive about the final release content, and I don't blame them, topics are just starting to fizzle without anything new to talk about. Just my feelings on it. Topics are starting to boarder on the ridiculous.

• Like 2

They are not being secretive about the date. They just don't have one. What they are really giving us is a hopeful time frame by keeping with the"Early 2017" call. When they really can announce a date they will.

I know. It's just it's all been discussed I feel. We've gone through and discussed the part 6 look, throwing knives, speculations on the lodge, new stuns, new Jason ability and counselors being able to be run over with a car. I don't want another beta for fear of game delay but that's when the forums peaked. Since they are being secretive about the final release content, and I don't blame them, topics are just starting to fizzle without anything new to talk about. Just my feelings on it. Topics are starting to boarder on the ridiculous.

Some of the topics are crazy. :)

I wouldn't mind more info but I'm kind of enjoying them going dark for a bit. Why hype something when there's no firm release date, right? Maybe when their ducks are in a row they can restart the hyping. I think some folks felt misled with all the hype leading to a delay and then a vague release timeframe.

• Like 1