wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

No worries, I get what you're saying. I can admit I'm not above throwing the occasional jab in their direction but talking about integrity or standards is me speaking from my own belief system and I stated it to give an understanding of my own personal compass. It's likely shared by others to some degree I'd imagine.

I don't know if I've ever been popular in my life so nothing new there. ;)

I think I'd decided earlier in this thread to go with glitter and glue instead of pitchforks. :)

Edit:

Res, don't tease me. :)

Popularity is overrated. At any rate I think you're aces. 

Glitter never comes out! You monster! 

The anticipation is killing me. Like literally killing me.

Make sure your will notes you want to be buried with the game and your console of choice.

Edit: Or a PC if you're one of our overlords.

Also:

Beat me to it. 

*16 in large picture form*

Oh snap! 

• Like 2

I think we should trust the devs. Even though "early 2017" was only a window, we must also understand that some people see the end of that window and feel despair. Everyone here is a fan of Friday the 13th, so we really are impatient to play. I know the devs are looking forward to launch this game, but you also have to consider that they have something that we do not currently have: the possibility to test the game, know what works and what does not. We at the moment and until the launch, we only have small pieces to calm the nerves. And I really understand this point, I understand that this should be so. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, the devs have been honest or at least as honest as possible, but I think they understand what it's like to have a demanding and impatient audience, so really - if there are no personal attacks - I think they understand our current frustration. I have also said on other occasions that we need something clearer than "Early 2017", I do not speak of an exact date because that is impossible (we depend on cert), but at least know a little more, speak more openly about certification, and how is everything at this moment. (Although I do not know if they can really talk about these things or not, I'm just saying that's what I feel they could give us at this point). Something like: "We failed, we are correcting something and we are close" or "Today we may have news - about whether we have a green light or we have failed." Something like that. I think most people do not know how certification works - or at least, I do not know much about it - so being more open about it works for us to learn and also to be informed. In conclusion, we are still in April. Yes, the end is getting closer, but we are still here, anything can happen.

• Like 1

I dont see this count down being shutdown. This is a count down to the end of early 2017.

We shall see I'm sure they will find a reason....

eHgF067.png

Top row is bingo already. Bottom row is the next closest.

Edit: Middle row and second row on the left vertical are also Bingo

• Like 1

I didn't really think I was disagreeing all that much but I will disagree with the analogy where anyone asking for a release is like a whiney kid. Some are, I don't think all are. That analogy works if the kids paid for the gas, the hotel and the trip's expenses- and your driving a car that was given to you for free.

Right now, you're right- there isn't any path that doesn't have at least a small amount of backlash.

Ok fine... then picture a car with 50000 kids in it, some having paid 10000 dollars towards the vacation and are now featured as attractions at the park were going to. Then there are other kids having pitched out 40 bucks for a ticket, and other kids pitching 250 for a ticket plus some other goodies and treats when they get there, and all sorts of other numbers pitched out in between. Not to mention there are a lot of freeloaders who paid nothing, but are anticipating getting to the park and buying in person at the gate. 

Some of those kids are asleep, some are patiently waiting, and some are repeatedly saying 'when are we getting there?' I suspect this is also coming from people who have not yet pitched out a nickle (sorry, pennies don't exist in Canada anymore)

Now picture the parents in this hilariously overcrowded clown car that must employ some sort of time-lord technology to contain this group. Imagine how they must feel when they keep getting pulled over by officer Microsoft and Deputy Sony and told to slow it down. Especially when Sheriff Steam keeps telling them there's a shortcut through his town that would get them there instantly. They promised the good kids in Console-town the scenic route, and that is what they are going to do!

Imagine the poor parents driving this car. You want to drive now?

• Like 2

Ok fine... then picture a car with 50000 kids in it, some having paid 10000 dollars towards the vacation and are now featured as attractions at the park were going to. Then there are other kids having pitched out 40 bucks for a ticket, and other kids pitching 250 for a ticket plus some other goodies and treats when they get there, and all sorts of other numbers pitched out in between. Not to mention there are a lot of freeloaders who paid nothing, but are anticipating getting to the park and buying in person at the gate. 

Some of those kids are asleep, some are patiently waiting, and some are repeatedly saying 'when are we getting there?' I suspect this is also coming from people who have not yet pitched out a nickle (sorry, pennies don't exist in Canada anymore)

Now picture the parents in this hilariously overcrowded clown car that must employ some sort of time-lord technology to contain this group. Imagine how they must feel when they keep getting pulled over by officer Microsoft and Deputy Sony and told to slow it down. Especially when Sheriff Steam keeps telling them there's a shortcut through his town that would get them there instantly. They promised the good kids in Console-town the scenic route, and that is what they are going to do!

Pennies don't exist in Canada??

Why?  I'm sorry to derail but that genuinely confuses me.

Also your analogy is pretty good.

While my stance of support and patience for Gun has been made very clear, let's not get so biased as to discredit valid criticisms just because we don't agree with the overall message.

Bears has a track record of being extremely cynical and complaining about the release to the point of banging your head on the wall annoyance.

That however doesn't mean SOME of the points he make aren't legit criticisms and don't deserve to be aired.

I'm fairly confident Wes and Gun in general would agree that the whole release situation hasn't exactly gone the way they had hoped and that they've made some decisions they might not have made if they could redo them.

And above all else they've demonstrated repeatedly that they are not above criticism and welcome feedback positive and negative alike.

So I don't think it's fair to write off all of bear's complaints solely because "Ug another release bitching".

There is a level of that for sure and it does get annoying for me as well.

But again I stress there are some valid criticisms being made.

And regardless of whether I agree with someones overall opinion or not, I will always support fair play and not letting personal bias negate valid arguments.

• Like 2

Pennies don't exist in Canada??

Why?  I'm sorry to derail but that genuinely confuses me.

In 2012, the federal government made the decision to phase them out because the cost to produce them was exceeding their own value. Production cost for a 1 cent  coin was around 1.6 cents. There were also other reasons but this is the main one.

(Sorry for the off topic post.)

• Like 1

While my stance of support and patience for Gun has been made very clear, let's not get so biased as to discredit valid criticisms just because we don't agree with the overall message.

Bears has a track record of being extremely cynical and complaining about the release to the point of banging your head on the wall annoyance.

That however doesn't mean SOME of the points he make aren't legit criticisms and don't deserve to be aired.

I'm fairly confident Wes and Gun in general would agree that the whole release situation hasn't exactly gone the way they had hoped and that they've made some decisions they might not have made if they could redo them.

And above all else they've demonstrated repeatedly that they are not above criticism and welcome feedback positive and negative alike.

So I don't think it's fair to write off all of bear's complaints solely because "Ug another release bitching".

And regardless of whether I agree with someones overall opinion or not, I will always support fair play and not letting personal bias negate valid arguments.

Hey, I appreciate that. There's always room to agree to disagree. :)

Creeping, I'm sorry but I'm not going to go any further into an analogy where you view the developers as "poor parents" and those supporting the game as an assortment of children. I get your point, I don't agree at all though.

I do want to point out that no matter what level of contribution financially someone has made, it was still a contribution. You and I have no way of knowing what other people's financial situations are like. I wouldn't belittle any monetary contribution myself because I don't know anyone's living situation. $20 is nothing for some folks while it can be an entire paycheck's spending cash for another.

In 2012, the federal government made the decision to phase them out because the cost to produce them was exceeding their own value. Production cost for a 1 cent  coin was around 1.6 cents. There were also other reasons but this is the main one.

(Sorry for the off topic post.)

Smart move in my books. :)

Hey, I appreciate that. There's always room to agree to disagree. :)

Creeping, I'm sorry but I'm not going to go any further into an analogy where you view the developers as "poor parents" and those supporting the game as an assortment of children. I get your point, I don't agree at all though.

I do want to point out that no matter what level of contribution financially someone has made, it was still a contribution. You and I have no way of knowing what other people's financial situations are like. I wouldn't belittle any monetary contribution myself because I don't know anyone's living situation. $20 is nothing for some folks while it can be an entire paycheck's spending cash for another.

Smart move in my books. :)

Not to be rude, but that isn't really anyone's problem.

First of all, if someone is spending 20 bucks to back a game and that's half their paycheck's spending money, then maybe there should be better financial decisions being carried out, or at least until expendable income is actually in a place where you can spend 20 bucks on a kickstarter no problem.  Usually, there is a presumption that those who spend money on these sorts of things have expendable income, aka can actually afford to do so.  And for good reason; nobody in their right mind chooses to invest in a game over a hearty meal or paying bills if they're in financial trouble.  I mean, if a multi-billionaire spend 99% of his fortune on luxuries and didn't have anything else to spend it on, including bills and necessities, you'd say that person is pretty dumb.

Second of all, it isn't Gun Media's concern whether the money you give is more financially detrimental to you.  The money you're giving to the game is entirely optional.  I don't see that as a reason to complain since it WAS optional.  Even if your cash was going to make or break this game, you still decided to give it to them.  That's capitalism.  Monetary exchanges for goods/services.  Investments for return.

You aren't entitled to anything via a monetary payment other than the product/service offered.

• Like 1

I totally agree that there are valid concerns, and I strongly suspect that if the devs had one wish (aside from it being done), it would be to go back to their announcement in October of last year and just drop the 'early' from the release date, and just say '2017'

Of course that would cause its own problems, but at least people wouldn't be getting out their calendars and calculators just yet. 

But you're right, there are valid concerns, and I share them, as I'm sure we all do. The last thing I want is to hear about a delay, and I'm looking forward to playing this game more than any Christmas in recent memory. 

My understanding is that everyone involved has lots of previous experience in the game industry with different companies, and perhaps their experiences lead them to believe certain dates and milestones could be reached with less friction. Perhaps they were part of bigger teams before or on less significant projects which lead them to have a somewhat rose-tinted view of the experience and the lengths it could go to? Or perhaps with all the custom tech developed for this project, it just lead to more challenges than expected? 

Either way, perhaps it was a case of biting off more than they could chew, but I respect them for chewing through this hunk as best they damn can. Maybe they'll finish on time, and maybe not. 

But it does break my heart a little to see someone stomp on what is essentially a passion project (A big name and brand project for sure, but passion project none the less)

It also grinds my gears to see the same things said over and over, and it bothers me that I'm essentially doing the same thing, but on the opposite side of the coin.

A valid concern is a valid concern. A valid concern mentioned for the 27th time is just complaining. 

• Like 2

Not to be rude, but that isn't really anyone's problem.

First of all, if someone is spending 20 bucks to back a game and that's half their paycheck's spending money, then maybe there should be better financial decisions being carried out, or at least until expendable income is actually in a place where you can spend 20 bucks on a kickstarter no problem.  Usually, there is a presumption that those who spend money on these sorts of things have expendable income, aka can actually afford to do so.  And for good reason; nobody in their right mind chooses to invest in a game over a hearty meal or paying bills if they're in financial trouble.

Second of all, it isn't Gun Media's concern whether the money you give is more financially detrimental to you.  The money you're giving to the game is entirely optional.  I don't see that as a reason to complain since it WAS optional.  Even if your cash was going to make or break this game, you still decided to give it to them.  That's capitalism.  Monetary exchanges for goods/services.  Investments for return.

You aren't entitled to anything via a monetary payment other than the product/service offered.

I agree, it's not Gun's concern but it's not ours either. I don't think it's appropriate to judge folks based on monetary contributions.