wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

Delay or not, post successful certification, whatever or however. As long as we get a fun, exciting, well-made product that we will enjoy for years and years to come. Many of us have waited decades for a game development company to grab their stones, buck the system, and tackle this beloved bloody film franchise.

We are right at the edge of getting that. I applaud these two teams in every way, the work that they have put in is nothing short of exhausting, effecting their personal lives to the point of sleep deprivation and family upheaval. We will be getting this labor of love, be it a couple months from now or a couple weeks. The important thing for us supporters to do is...BE SUPPORTIVE! I can understand the frustration these guys are experiencing behind closed doors. The sweat and tears are not made public for professional reasons, but there nonetheless. Careers are at stake here, they know that, and have been consumate professionals with the masses. They're human folks, and i'm sure they want this released even more than we do, if not just to alleviate the pressures of everyday title toil. Soon, very soon, and I for one hope they get Game Of The Year, they've EARNED IT!

• Like 1

The countdown is counting down the days to a delay using the best possible information provided.

If there's new or better information- point the way...

I guess I'll have to throw up a disclaimer so people who see the number don't get confused.

• Like 5

Some still wont get it, or will refuse it because of being imbued with perpetual grumpiness lol

• Like 1

Okay, so I've just caught up with this thread and have read the vast majority of it and I have to say there is an exceptional amount of assumptions and misinformation being spread.

Our team consists of around 30 total players; 4 at Gun and the rest at IllFonic with third party contractors. Most everyone here has in some form or fashion been involved with a AAA release. Our team took in private investment, additional funds on Kickstarter and Backerkit as a continual source of crowd-funding to expand on the game.

The first assumption is that anyone here believes the $2M raised covers development of the game. That's flat out wrong. Kickstarters generally work to either raise enough funds for a MVP (minimum viable product) or to help a team finalize funds for a polished title. Several teams have made the mistake of believing they could utilize only Kickstarter funds and cover development of rather intense-dev cycles. Look at it this way; Mass Effect: Andromeda was a 5-year dev cycle, well over a $25M+ dev budget and with a team over 200+ people and look at the criticism going on with the game. It's a stupendously gorgeous game with mechanics that overall work, but even still there are issues that people see fit to criticize without any actual knowledge on how their systems work.

What I am saying is that there is a ton of work involved with game development. Multiplayer back-end work, character animations, artwork, scene dressing, etc.....all of that takes time and effort. Our team has to create maps, assets and gameplay that not only is fun, but stays true to the franchise as best as possible on a schedule that is far shorter than many other titles at the level of quality we're shooting for on a budget that is incredibly, incredibly tight. We can't just hire people to bring them on with our studio; that involves careful vetting and ensuring that they have a place here that isn't simply going to result in having nothing to do after we ship. Every single person can't work on every aspect of the game. An engineer isn't going to be able to help out with 3D art modeling and vice versa. It's not a matter of bodies, it's a matter of quality and effectiveness paired with ensuring assets/money/time aren't wasted and lives aren't thrown further into chaos.

We have a lot that has to get done and we have been upfront with that from the very beginning. We have stated that we're going to deliver a game in Early 2017, and by all accounts that still is on track. Console cert, ratings for different areas of the globe, different platform specifications, online servers, backend account information, etc....there's so much involved with this that for our team to balance and finalize so that we can get the game out to all of our fans around the world as best as possible.

What staggers me is this arbitrary notion that so many people have decided to try to pinpoint an exact date as though it were authoritative. If others believe that one specific date is now 'the release date,' due to the continued harassment of some users...it becomes an expectation that grows into a rumor. When rumors grow through no other reason than a clamoring for the game, it creates issues when that rumor turns out to be false.

Our team has been as upfront and honest about this as possible; we will give you a date as soon as we are 100% certain that every aspect of the launch is ready to go as best as possible for as many of our fans around the world. We refuse to give you a date not because we're being malicious or that we do not know, but because a delay sparks more fears in most people's minds than does waiting for a confirmation. The constant requests are both a blessing and a curse; we know people are passionate, we know they want the game, but without much knowledge of actual development or publishing background the frustration comes.

We refuse to lie to you, we refuse to pull the wool over your eyes and it sucks that people believe to think overwise, but when we give you a launch date, you can be 100% certain that it will be on said date. That date will fall in Early 2017 to the best of our ability. We're this close, guys. The game is on the way, we're just asking for your patience and to please, please stop instigating arbitrary-self appointed dates that have not been discussed by our team.

Translation most of you guys are right
  • Like 2

The countdown is counting down the days to a delay using the best possible information provided.

I guess I'll have to throw up a disclaimer so people who see the number don't get confused.

I think the number and the term "delay" rubbed Ben the wrong way because it is being taken as an inevitable 'delay' in launch time, and the fans expectation of such, regardless of aforementioned work and circumstances out of their control. I could be wrong, but right or wrong, we wait. I know patience is running thin from both sides of the coin, and it is starting to show within the various media outlets. Everybody can't wait to get their hands on this game, the nostalgia is overwhelming and with Summer right around the corner, it makes it even more so.

I have faith in these fellas, they have been nothing like the devs on 'No Man's Sky' or politico like 'Mass Effect:Andromeda" Ubi-Montreal. They are just a very small team, and working on a leviathan of a project triple A companies wouldn't touch. All for the labor of love, and we horror-hounds. In the end-game here, I think we will be soo happy, the wait-time afforded will be nothing but thankful praise. Soon, we will all be at Camp Crystal Lake, don't forget to pack an extra set of drawers. :)

• Like 1

As I said, it's a day to look forward to, nothing more. I never said "# until delay" I know you know that. I just had to respond because you quoted me and said "you're presuming there will be a delay" which was incorrect.

I used you figuratively. As in "everyone who is not me" or "everyone partaking in it"

I could have clarified.

I see it is ok to have the little count down. If they wanted to give us a real update to change the count down or end it. like telling us if it pass cert or what places it has passed and what places it hasnt. but I just dont see it being wrong bull sh*tt*ng and debating are own thoughts about what going on. If they would just give us some real updates to clear up the debates. Im not a fan of avengers but i feel like the forums is avenger civil war. all wanting the same thing in the end. Just on different side train of thought. but the date going off of what wes said in the first post of this thread. he said it could take up to 30 days after cert for the game to be released. I feel their going to need the whole 30 days because last min seems to be when we get any info.

I do get the feeling of fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me. Not saying thats whats going on but we went threw this same thing in fall 2016.

• Like 1

I see it is ok to have the little count down. If they wanted to give us a real update to change the count down or end it. like telling us if it pass cert or what places it has passed and what places it hasnt. but I just dont see it being wrong bull sh*tt*ng and debating are own thoughts about what going on. If they would just give us some real updates to clear up the debates. Im not a fan of avengers but i feel like the forums is avenger civil war. all wanting the same thing in the end. Just on different side train of thought.

I do get the feeling of fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me. Not saying thats whats going on but we went threw this same thing in fall 2016.

You sir win the internet.

OK, let me clear this up and put it in these terms. The countdown ends today. It's a countdown to nothing more than a self created sense of a delay that no one ever announced. Feel free to discuss things as you will but the countdown stops.

• Like 2

OK, let me clear this up and put it in these terms. The countdown ends today. It's a countdown to nothing more than a self created sense of a delay that no one ever announced. Feel free to discuss things as you will but the countdown stops.

Its only a running joke. And technically speaking it would be accurate as the deadline to reach "early 2017" will be gone when the countdown ends.
  • Like 3

Wow that's funny smh

• Like 2

Since JPOPS  is online,I figure ill ask this. Has the game size been finalized for PS4? I know when I asked on facebook a while back, they said"targeting25-30GB", does that still hold true?

Haha ben and jpops the truth hurts. Stopped a little levity amongst members based of really nothing. Must be onto something. If it was truely false or harmless it couldve continued. At best we wouldve been proven wrong and ate crow. Wouldbt have been the first time. Thing is, whether we post little (apparently harmful) pictures or not, the countdown is still there, and forum members know it. This type of bull reminds me of why i left the first place.

• Like 4

Haha ben and jpops the truth hurts. Stopped a little levity amongst members based of really nothing. Must be onto something. If it was truely false or harmless it couldve continued. At best we wouldve been proven wrong and ate crow. Wouldbt have been the first time. Thing is, whether we post little (apparently harmful) pictures or not, the countdown is still there, and forum members know it.

Or maybe they find it insulting that people who don't know shit about what is actually going on behind the scenes are outright saying it will be delayed when they themselves don't think so and are working their asses off to get the game out the door. Just maybe.
  • Like 1

Haha ben and jpops the truth hurts. Stopped a little levity amongst members based of really nothing. Must be onto something. If it was truely false or harmless it couldve continued. At best we wouldve been proven wrong and ate crow. Wouldbt have been the first time. Thing is, whether we post little (apparently harmful) pictures or not, the countdown is still there, and forum members know it.

Yeah it sounds like they won't make early 2017. no reason to get all flustered over a countdown which I found entertaining

• Like 2

@death Well to them...dont be so sensitive. Do the work put it out and prove the naysayers wrong. You have a deadline, you have no time to be "insulted". Tf?! They felt threatened over pictures that suggested "thoughts and opinions" anybody can misinterpret ANYTHING. To those people I say,"read more".

• Like 1

Well...dont be so sensitive. Do the work put it out and prove the naysayers wrong. You have a deadline, you have no time to be "insulted". Tf?!

Why be insulting in the first place? They are people too and have the right to feel whatever they feel.
  • Like 1

Or maybe they find it insulting that people who don't know shit about what is actually going on behind the scenes are outright saying it will be delayed when they themselves don't think so and are working their asses off to get the game out the door. Just maybe.

No ones outright saying the game was being officially delayed. It was only logical speculation.

I think Ben's post was pretty clear, it's to help eliminate confusion and not assist in creating rumours which the internet is pretty notorious for. The only truth that has been said is the targeted date still remains Early 2017. Feel free to voice your opinions on the matter however allowing the countdown to continue without intervention is irresponsible as it is not fact.

May 1st ends early 2017. Thats fact. I hope we are wrong, but...we will see. And p.s. the pictures insulted nobody. If they did, thats a personal problem. Noone was called out specifically. Rumors are going to go anyways...even when you provide correct info, regardless.

Ralph no one is offended, however nobody wants rumors to take on legs of their own and spread mis-information.